Other urls found in this thread:

doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=fGnpNlhv6po
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

t.
/thread

Overrated, shit operating systems general then? Is that what this thread is about? Let's start with Plan 9.

Hanna Montana OS

t. Glenda from Outer Space

If plan9 is so perfect then why doesn't Apple use it?
Checkmate

Rob Pike seriously needs to either get new wife or stop letting her wife desing logos for his projects.
Jesus Fucking Christ.

i like it
it's cute

DELET

Unlike you only don't have dubs, which automatically makes your opinion less valuable. That is, if it wasn't shit already.

this
already better than the original

>reddit me-

fuck off

> Plan 9 docs
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/

> Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

9front fork
9front.org

> Caring about dubs
Please trip yourself so I can filter your mouthbreather opinions

The logo is good. At least better than the obese awkward penguin and the down gnu

plan 9 has actually introduced a shit load of new ideas, but the os itself has no practical uses

I suck at learning by reading (only). I wish there was someone explaining in a nice video series accompied by reading material, starting from making a ISO out of gpl code release of plan9. After that, of course how it's installed and uses (while there are already many tutorials in this regard) and after that teaching how to write native software for plan9. From "Hello World" up to a little game like snake or something. From there to how drivers are written in plan9.

Basically I need a god teaching a child all the way to become a hacking sage.

Well, since this is unlikely to happen, at least someone put x86 support back into HarveyOS (a plan9 fork that compiles with gcc, LLVM).

There are other shit no implemented yet in other os, see private namespaces, 9P, etc

Do you want to punch the penguin in the face so hard it explodes in a fountain of gore but realize you can't so start harming yourself? No? Then the fat penguin is billions of times better than the cancer rabbit.

That's a funny looking windows logo

Rabbits are way cuter than retarded penguins

Plan9 is the ultimate hipster dropout OS.

>muh "work"

Muh jacking off in the terminal for 3 decades?

An OS is not "perfect" unless it has drivers, software, and a community that doesn't have its head fiercely up its ass.

> Muh jacking off in the terminal for 3 decades?

Plan 9 come with graphics by default

see if you want some videos, there aren't many

>Plan 9 - Thursday Night Tech Talks
youtube.com/watch?v=fGnpNlhv6po

> A Tour of the Acme Editor
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M

How is it impractical? It is only impractical because the more common operating systems are just good enough.

that much I already know. the problem is what I don't know and can't learn all by myself.

same problem I have with many other kinds of tutorials out there. I can't learn only by reading and I can't learn by only watching videos. I need at least both.

when I learned BASIC, there haven't been videos too but I had a teacher, example code and it started basically at modifing existing code before you started to write your own.

even most C tutorials are still like "that's the syntax... good luck!".

software, people that actually know it

It is impractical because it won't run all your modern webshit.

Why would I use this over Linux?

You wouldn't. Plan9 has some interesting concepts but it's not what you would call a production ready OS due to the lack of drivers and hardware support.

From a computer science perspective it's interesting because they took the basic UNIX concepts and implemented in a more complete way. The design of the OS is very elegant.

But the OS wars have to go to NetBSD. Why? RUMP kernel and anykernel architecture.

if I'd ever win a decent money by playing the lottery, the first thing I do would be to build a whole school around plan9 and driver development, maybe even computer engineering.

Rump does have valid reasons for existance but I consider it an ugly mutant, an disgusting hack to supporting real life business politics that made a mess of things in the first place.

/n/bump

In general, yes. In this case however put a few rounds through his head to make sure it's dead, Jimmy.

echo "bump" >> /n/Sup Forums/ctl