Ok Sup Forums, how the fuck can I switch from GTK file picker to KDE file picker

Ok Sup Forums, how the fuck can I switch from GTK file picker to KDE file picker
This shit is driving me insane already

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~plasmazilla/ archive/ubuntu/releases
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/firefox#KDE.2FGNOME_integration
youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.10.1.php
youtu.be/rfWNjQ_O4BY
youtu.be/Uca-eOAqBOM
caseof.tk
jkisielewicz.fedorapeople.org/#gtk2-filepicker
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

By installing Firefox with the KDE patch, it also annoys the shit out of me.

How can I do that, can you help me?
Most of the time I just ./configure make make install
I have no idea how to apply these patch, even after searching google

>Work around instead of solution
typical gnome cuck

launchpad.net/~plasmazilla/ archive/ubuntu/releases

What distro are you on? Only ones I know of that make it easy are OpenSuse and Arch.

And in Arch you need to compile it, really wish they'd provide a bin since Firefox is a huge and takes loads of time to compile.

>drag&drop
Really, faggot?

wow... so this... is the power of linux

No, that's the curse of GTK and Gnome.

>Gnome is Linux
Oh look, it's another microshill talking about things he doesn't understand. Aren't you supposed to be on Sup Forums?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

>try it out
>now i have 2 cursor
What do?

>drag and drop
kek

fucking gnome man, hopefully canonical will address some of this shit

Use KDE desktop
about:config
ui.allow_platform_file_picker - set to True
restart

there you fucking have it

>having to use a fucking mouse to pick a file...
Gnome cucks everyone!

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/firefox#KDE.2FGNOME_integration

Still best linux distro

Now that is sexy.

They'll just get blocked by Red Hat.
Canonical can only tweak and create extensions to that crap DE because they can't contribute directly to the project, big fucking mistake they went with Gnome shitware instead of KDE.

Friendly reminder that GNOME is not made for regular desktop users.

They are a Red Hat project and corporations like Red Hat serve enterprises. This is why GNOME always lacks features that you would expect on any other DE to be standard and bluntly refuses others bringing in their code. GNOME is not made for users, it is made for Red Hat clients. They have their own interest. Their position is: We create something minimal that works and if you users want to use it for home use, you can pimp it with themes and extensions and all the applications you like, but we do not feel responsible for that and do not come complaining when things do not work properly or start crashing.

Stop being a useful fool who tests unstable software for Red Hat and get a DE that is not hostile to regular users.

This.

what's wrong with that? looks aesthetic to me

if you don't use gnome, you have to use kde, which is even worse

yes its got a filepicker with thumbnails, everything else is shit

>being this delusional
>shilling for the reddit DE this hard
pottery

>2004 was 13 years ago

If this was a comparison of GNOME 2 and KDE 3 I'd understand. But in KDE 5 the single program which GNOME's alternative is clearly superior is Okular.

I don't know either, shill are pushing the "filepicker"-meme lately.
It's the same shit as the suposedly "bad fontrendering on linux"-meme from a few years ago.

I will keep using Unity till they ditch it for GNOME, after that I am going back to Windows.

This is what the Linux desktop could had become, now it's all ogre.

youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls

>Anyone who mentions the flaws of our desktop environment is a shill

Imagine being this delusional.

No wonder linux is trash, it not only has no video games but also can't even show thumbnails when selecting files

This does not work. You need to compile Firefox with support for it.

>click and click
how is that better than drag and drop?

This, you need to have dolphin installed and apply the OpenSUSE patch to Firefox to make it work.

So uninstall Firefox, recompile it with the patch applied and you are golden

>click and click
>how is that better than drag and drop?
The denial levels are palpable.

It's not 2014. anymore.
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.10.1.php
youtu.be/rfWNjQ_O4BY
youtu.be/Uca-eOAqBOM

>It's not 2014. anymore.

Can you remove cashew?

Are GTK applications still horribly integrated?

Hey, look! A browser and a DE weren't designed with Sup Forums users in mind! WOW! WTF WERE THEY THINKING?

>Can you remove cashew?
Of course. And you could since Plasma 5.5 I believe.
>Are GTK applications still horribly integrated?
Which ones are you referring to? Deadbeef for example looks just as it would on GTK, even when in gtk2 mode. Guitar Pro behaves the same as it would on Windows. There are so many theming options by now and I don't think you'd have a problem with other software. Riba Linux has videos of almost every distro imaginable, so you can check how specific distros behave. I've heard OpenSuse has a great KDE integration, but KDE Neon and Antergos KDE are popular choices too.

>Can you remove cashew?
Yes
>Are GTK applications still horribly integrated?
The only problem I have with GTK programs is that custom color themes do not work.

I see nothing that isn't already available or could be customized to look closer to it in both Gnome 3 and KDE

Ok, thanks.

I will give openSUSE Tumbleweed a try then.

Hey, look! A DE wasn't designed with anyone using Gimp, Krita, Blender, MPV, VLC, or anything else involving visual media in mind! WOW! WTF WERE THEY THINKING?

Good choice, though I'd choose Antergos KDE myself. Enjoy the best DE thus far.

Can't you just installed Unity on Ubuntu when they drop it for gnome?

yet it still looks like incohesive mess

toolbars, buttons, switches, sliders, widgets, popups, notifications - a fucking mess

an OS should be transparent and just work
tiling WMs get it right but they take "transparency" a bit too far when they start removing basic usability things like mouse support

gnome hits the spot, it has all you need ( except for thumbnails in filepicker ), out of the box, no need to customize, its all preset for you in a way that feels just right

if you do need to customize something, there are extensions, pick the ones you need and use them. No need for a massive 2000+ packages 2GB+ mountains of settings and options, if i wanted that, i could just use windows.

>gnome hits the spot, it has all you need ( except for thumbnails in filepicker ), out of the box, no need to customize, its all preset for you in a way that feels just right
How much does Redhat pay you?

drag n drop masterrace
>i3
>thunar on workspace 2
>firefox on workspace 1
>alt 2
>click on image
>alt 1
>drop
anyone saying the file picker is superior is delusional simply because it doesn't have tabs

>Not pinning file manager and terminal to all workspaces
Disgusting

Return to reddit, gnome shill. KDE is Sup Forums approved. Read the installgentoo wiki and lurk moar.

or just use chromium, a browser not made by a dysfunctional company that actually gives a fuck about the linux port

gtk always looks fine with kde, qt always looks like ass with gnome because they are cunts

Which spots does Gnome hit exactly? Do you prefer not having a proper file picker? Do you also prefer the work of developers who refuse to fix bugs for decades?

Unity will most likely be maintained. Get ready for Uubuntu.

This.

>Uubuntu
This won't be a thing for at least 2 years. They have to undo the damage Canonical did. It will probably be a broken unstable mess as it's always been.

gtk2

>mfw GTK2 has more features than GTK3

why not both?

feels good

gnome devs can go fuck themselves.

Manjaro offers a patched binary package that works on Arch.

This.
And there's a reason both LXDE and Bungie are being ported over it Qt.
I like KDE but I can't wait for a viable, lightweight Qt desktop environment, like an xfce-equivalent. Gtk/Gnome will be dead to me at that point.

nice

here you go user
caseof.tk
its updated binary of firefox-gtk2

and I have a guide for debian
jkisielewicz.fedorapeople.org/#gtk2-filepicker

With compiled packages for debian jessie/devuan jessie

and then install the patched gtk2 filepicker patch

Serious question: Why has litearlly NO ONE offered a solution or sent a patch or fork this shit?

>gnome devs listening to anyone but redhat
gud meme

Here's few excerpts from gnome mailing lists
>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

>I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection and then to reintroduce that very same functionality via extensions.

>The point is that it decreases our brand presence. That particular user might understand what it is that they are running, but the person who sees them using their machine or even sees their screenshots on the web will not. The question we have to ask ourselves is: how do we make sure that people recognise a GNOME install when they see one?

>We’ve always argued that if it is anything, GNOME is a UX. There might be a case for letting people tweak things here and there, but I really think that every GNOME install should have the same core look and feel. Otherwise, what is it that we are doing in the first place?

cont.

Developer of Transmission was approached by gnome developers to remove the functionality of adding a notification icon in the status bar (staple for any desktop environment/window manager comibnation but removed in gnome)

He replies:
>So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon, or nothing at all, over such a stupid feature?
>Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt XFCE users.
>I wish GNOME, Canonical, and everyone else involved would settle on one consistent API for this and stop fucking the app developers over.
>In order for this ticket to move forward, I’d like you to tell me what change should be made to Transmission that will make it work properly, out of the box, on GNOME Shell, Unity, and XFCE.

To which gnome developers reply
>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

GNOME mind set has changed a bit since 2012 though.

I remember one of gnome develoeprs telling gamers to, instead of going fullscreen at lower than native resolution (eg playing CS at 800x600 on a 1024x768 screen), to stick to windowed mode instead. That way it wouldn't mess with the desktop resolution.

Good stuff.

Unfortunately gnome is the only one who has gotten optimus working properly with wayland. I'd gladly go back to plasma when they get optimus to work with their wayland version.

>I'd gladly go back to plasma when they get optimus to work with their wayland version.
Just a few years...

>wayland
lol

>Unfortunately gnome is the only one who has gotten optimus working properly with wayland
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is switching to gnome. GNOME will eventually become the "standard" desktop (much like systemD is "standard") so from now on I'm betting it'll always be the desktop with better hardware and software support.

Linux desktop had jumped the shark anyway.

There's quite literally nothing wrong with something that improves every year.

No one can possibly defend X in this day and age.

The big problem with Wayland is how different it is. It won't replace X for the forseeable future simply because a lot of stuff needs to be completely reimplemented. There isn't even a good way to record your desktop or take screenshots yet. And if there is it has to be implemented by each compositor seperately.
You can shill it for it's better architecture all you want. If users don't find the features they need they will not use it.

I installed firefox-kde-opensuse, but I'm still getting the gtk file picker. ui.allow_platform_file_picker was set to true already, setting it to false gives me some featureless inbuilt file picker.

I tried setting KDE_FULL_SESSION to "true", but that didn't work.

I'm not running kde, how can I get this working?

Ok, you can make it compile properly by setting

xprop -root -f KDE_FULL_SESSION 8s -set KDE_FULL_SESSION true

but now I seem to have the same gtk filepicker, just with no image preview, lol

ctrl + alt + f1
then
ctrl + alt + f7

can I please get a screenfetch or info on your themes?