Piracy Solution

Is there a technical solution to piracy?

E.g can computer viruses be weaponised to corrupt the data and prevent people from succeeding in their piracy?

What can I read to learn how torrenting works? I'd like to be the one who makes money off this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zhx_1hrttoE
cs.stanford.edu/people/eroberts/cs201/projects/viruses/legal.html#viruses
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is there a technical solution to piracy?
Keep doing it

a thread died for this

its not as much a problem as worms and other virus things. i would worry about vulnerabilities.

Death penalty for pirating

>technical solution
Zyklon B

Easy as fuck

we have a problem now where everyone is making shit music/film because you can't make any money off it

everything would be better if piracy didn't exist

>everyone is making shit music/film because you can't make any money off it
this is the most made up bullshit statement ive read all morning.

find better music or support the ones you actually like. thats what i do. its not unauthorized copying's fault that people cant be creative

people have to profit from their creations to develop them to their fullest extent, there is a reason communism leads to technical decay...

Well, they wouldn't profited off their products in the first place. Pirated song/film != lost sale.

you can't be dumb enough to really believe that

>people have to profit from their creations to develop them to their fullest extent
wrong. people develop their creations to their fullest extent to profit from them, not the other way around

> piracy
No such thing.

>we have a problem now where everyone is making shit music/film because you can't make any money off it

Lol nigga, no

These days everybody walks around with a camera and a microphone in their pocket, and thanks to stuff like YouTube and social media, any idiot can share their shitty ideas with the world with the intention of becoming famous. Piracy has nothing to do with it, it's just the way that technology has transformed our culture.

OK now I know this is a Sup Forums bait thread.

Remember to sage & hide guys

It's true

i was just about to buy the first book in a huge series off amazon, then i realised i hate the company, so guess what i did?

You wouldn't probably bought it in the first place if you hate the company.

>everything would be better if piracy didn't exist
youtube.com/watch?v=Zhx_1hrttoE

Everything would be better if they didn't make cash grab remakes of good movies that nobody fucking wants.

But it's true. Humans naturally share things, especially when sharing doesn't cost them anything, and they naturally give towards things they believe in. So expect your content to be pirated, but also expect to get money from your true fans. Contrary to the op, things aren't crap because of piracy. I'd actually say things aren't crap at all. Huge record labels are garbage because they're going after the lowest common denominator and min/maxing profit. Independent artists and creators are actually great though. You just neex to dig a bit to find their stuff sometimes.

Piracy isn't hurting media. Big profit houses trying to kill the small competition in favor of their own mass produced shit are what's killing creativity. Sociopaths once again prove to be the problem.

You pirated it, probably with a torrent. If torrents didn't exist then you'd borrow from a friend, or get it at a library, or buy it used. Each method "steals" profit from the publisher, if you're retarded enough to believe the riaa/mpaa.

seems chaos has overcome you, it has become your new order

i will illuminate you, heathen ;)

I was wondering who was behind this thread.

>not creating something to your fullest extent because you love it, have a passion for it and want to share with the world.
Piracy isn't the problem creating shit content. The problem is greed and people making shit content just for money.

"love" is a meme created by advertisers to sell products, have you even watched Mad Men bra?

Your much better off spending the money fighting piracy on other things, like making content easy for users to get at a low price.

Netflix and Hulu have caused a severe decline in piracy as an example. $10/month and you don't have to deal with any of the hassle of finding reputable rips, seeding on a private tracker, etc. Sure, not all content is on there but it's enough for most normies to just say fuck it and pay the subscription because they have things to do in their life and can't spend hours every week trying to track down content on a tracker.

This logic does not apply to people on Sup Forums. Most people have too autistic of a mind here to comprehend that your personal time is worth more then $10/month.

???
There's only a handful of artists I enjoy that make money. The rest do it as a passion. Maybe you just like listening to shit. Are you a Metallica fan?

i like old disco and country, also opera, hymns, classical music & more

Lucky for you there's an abundance of the first two. Good luck with the rest. I'm sure if you search long and hard you can find something special. I'd start with the big three - YouTube, soundcloud and bandcamp.

I hope you die real soon. Not joking or anything. If I had one wish, today, it would be that. Maybe it would change tomorrow but having you die would satisfy my wish today.

instead you made me laugh, congrats

>blaming piracy
kyll whomstself

As long as the freedom we're left with lasts, piracy will exist. You choice, if you want to give up for your rights only to make, not even surely, a few guys richer.

>people have to profit from their creations to develop them to their fullest extent
what
you realize that the creation is done before the profit even exists, right?

Not going to do your homework for you OP.

money buys you time and better tech

why is Sup Forums full of such lowlife commies?

The solution to piracy is to offer people a more accessible way to obtain the things they are pirating and do so at a cost which has a better value than spending time pirating. Or you start making people get fingerprinted or do retina scans to use the stuff they buy and tie it with their credit cards. But that might just end with people getting their fingers chopped during routine city muggings when they get their credit cards stolen.

You think the world runs on early access shit? Do you have an idea how things work, son?

>muh passion
You're one of those underaged NEETs who thinks anything in the creative industries can't be done for monetary gain aren't you?

this poster is correct, a skilled musician from a college for example can bang out a shit ton of garbage that millions will rub into their eyes because they have no idea how music works and need somebody to worship

music and film have always been 99% shit

fpbp

Yes goy yes, don't copy that floppy!

I made a DRM for software that I publish on the jailbroken iOS App Store "Cydia" that fucks with the device's NVRAM values and basically bricks the device until the battery is disconnected and reconnected. Works pretty well in testing but I haven't released it.

solution is easy, just make it so that when a given creation reaches a certain amount of profit it becomes free.

After all your 5 hours of coding aren't worth infinite revenue... right?

But is it free software?

>can computer viruses be weaponised to corrupt the data and prevent people from succeeding in their piracy?
I charge for the software I write. As of now I implement no DRM as they frequently affect actual buyers, so I'm trying for server authenticated licenses

Money/monetary gain isn't the endgame of life and if you think it is, than you truly are a fool to jewish tricks and I feel sorry for you.

But hey, keep chasing that paper dream doing something you hate everyday to get that big useless house full of shit you dont actually use if that's how you feel the need justify your existance.

Charge less insane prices and provide things in the formats people want them. For example with games charge like $20-$40 instead of $60 then like $40 of dlc. With music selling lossless non-drm copies for reasonably cheap would be good. For TV don't expect people to pay cable subscriptions just to watch your shit, I want my media in digital files, so if you want a sale then let my buy TV shows in mkvs for a reasonable price. Same with movies. Also piracy can't be totally eliminated because there will always be a 12 year old with a computer somewhere who can't afford to buy shit because his mom thinks computers are a waste of time.

/thread

Yes, by exterminating jews. By doing that we can destroy corrupt jewish tactics used by hollywood and record companies.

Easy, just whitelist allowable files

yeah you should start a company that hacks pirates and shuts down their seed boxes. make sure it's based in russia or china.

Sure. Do whatever the pirates are doing yourself so that it is no longer piracy.

Only way to win.

>wanting to work for the good of kikes

nice, real nice. consider sudoku.

>Is there a technical solution to piracy?

Not really. It's a social problem, and it morphs its tactics to evade whatever threat you throw at it. Take down a major tracker? More show up in its place. Or people switch to direct downloads, or IPFS, or whatever new technology there is that doesn't have the problems of the last generation. The only way to stop piracy is to remove the demand for it. Thus far, services like Netflix and Spotify have been doing an alright job at this. Nonetheless, there will always be a few who pirate anyways. Rather than focusing on them, focus on making it so that those who can afford, are able to conveniently get whatever content they want, on demand, at the right price.

>E.g can computer viruses be weaponised to corrupt the data and prevent people from succeeding in their piracy?

cs.stanford.edu/people/eroberts/cs201/projects/viruses/legal.html#viruses

If you commit piracy, and get caught, you can get sued. If you make a computer virus that starts destroying people's data, you get put in the slammer. Don't fuck about with the CFAA. Just don't.

Yeah that'll work, maybe the death penalty could also be used to keep people from committing murder too.

Piracy is a service issue.

Stop being cunts and get rid of:
region / geo restrictions
permanent-exclusives. (timed at best)
regional changes. (localization)

If companies worked together to get rid of this shit, a considerable amount of piracy would be gone in an instant.
The beginning would be putting shows up for bid for timed exclusive of no longer than a half year period.
After that, anyone that wants it can get it at whatever cost the distributor would have sold it at.
You can get it via resellers or even purchase it directly from the distributor.

If you really want to go further, you could try host official forums that will only be accessible with a key from your purchase.
A group effort already exists between many companies that have online digital downloads of films (forgot the name), so it isn't hard to do between large varied groups of people.
Then have exclusive shit you can win, early access to merch and whatever.
Actually reward people for purchasing with fun stuff.

Most people actually don't want to deal with shitty pirate sites.
They only do it out of being unable to watch content entirely or being blocked artificially via bullshit locks.
They'd be perfectly happy with buying it digitally or physically.
Online services have proven it. 7 years ago I said they'd be as huge as they are now. It was inevitable.
But these cunts are now hellbent on destroying it as well by forcing streamers to put geoblocks on regional site stores.
WHY?! It was going so well. Fuck off.
You're literally saying "I don't want your money you foreign scum!"
Dumb fucking cunts. They are the reason piracy is going to get worse again. Illegal Kodi add-ons are proof of this. They only exploded in use because people were getting pissed off with geoblocking.

I don't get why geolocks still exist when proxies exist. "This video is not available in your country." Pah, then I'll just watch it from another country on the same computer while physically located in the same country. Stop making me do work.

Well if we had more of a naval presence in regions that had piracy problems, I think it would help deter those who wish to pillage and plunder on the high seas. I don't know what that has to do with technology though, it is probably more of an/int/ thing

In the PC games market, Denuvo has being doing a generally solid job at protecting the initial sales window. Recent games have been cracked more quickly, though, so they need to step it up.