Give ONE reason for having SSD (not even talking about HDDs...

Give ONE reason for having SSD (not even talking about HDDs, it's 2017 for God's sake) over 256GB in the age of streaming and cloud storages.
Protip: you can't.

inb4 botnet autism

Bump for curiosity

256GB SSD.

Lossless music/ hi res film collection
Hosting your own streaming server (eg plex)
Many games that are all quite large (ie gta v = 60gb BF4 = 45GB)

There are numerous totally legitimate reasons for not being a storagelet and having less than 500gb available.

?

I have 30kb's upload.

>inb4 muh games

>Poorfags can't afford storage
>Paying someone to hold onto your data

I bet you let your wife stay at Jamal's house.

1. price
2. I don't need more than 128gb to hold my os, most used programs, and temp workspace
3. anything else, I can hold on hdds

however, I plan on building a NAS and then remove all HDDs from my main computer; one 128gb ssd for OS, one 512gb one for games, and one HDD for misc documents. Everything else (movies, music, archives) would be on the NAS, and I'd use my old HDDs for backup purposes.

Because the cloud is dogshit you fucking idiot.

I'm not poor.

flac

data mining

You on centurylink?

No just aus internet, the government must require companies to rape your upload to cut down on seeding or something.

>cloud
>slower than HDDs
I want my PC to be quiet and fast, so cloud and HDDs are out of the question.

this is Sup Forums, most people here are hoarders

I want to be independent from shitty streaming services like Spotify and Netflix
I want to have MY files on MY computer and own server
A guy from University told me lately that his internet failed for several days and he couldn't hear music, watch movies or do anything else with his computer in his free time
If this happens to me all that happens is that i can't shitpost on here and watch YouTube

I also host my own e-mail server btw

>in the age of streaming and cloud storages.

SaaSSfag

I have 300GB of music and I'm not fucking going to pay some streaming cocksuckers money so I can have the privilege of listening to my own fucking God damn music with commercials added in.

>my files that I pirate from random trackers on the internet
>my files

lol

plex is fucking trash though

It's not but go ahead and try naming something better

>the age of streaming and cloud storages
lmao kill yourself you fucking retard

Dual boot means each OS only gets 256 of my 850 EVO

>(not even talking about HDDs, it's 2017 for God's sake
Despite it being 2017, HDDs and magnetic storage in general is superior to SSDs and flash storage in general where IO is a non-issue, because unlike SSDs, HDDs don't leak electrons from cells and corrupt data when left unpowered.
>streaming and cloud storages
Imagine being so stupid.

I work.

Larger SSDs are faster due to increased parallelism from having more memory chips per drive.

This is the most important reply in the thread.
You can't have the highest performance with 256 GB, you have to buy 512 GB or up for fast SSD. (good news, the price doesn't go up too much).

/thread

>most important reply

256 GB variant of the 850 PRO is the fastest, m2 nvme is a different medium

raided

find streaming this locally instead of hoarding in one station a better option

I am a developer and I use a wide range of VM states and snapshots so I can quickly test things in a real environment. I don't have time to waste waiting on huge disk IO, and I need a lot of storage.

OP doesn't work for a living.

I work in IT and I like to use VM to test shit. Running VMs on my 3TB HDD is becoming tiresome. I am considering a 1TB EVO

Not having to wait for even more shit to download. Not relying on internet at all. Large files, software or games. Personal data.

some of us enjoy the occasional game or two user
also dual booting is nice too

I like having shit locally?

>Give ONE reason for having SSD (not even talking about HDDs, it's 2017 for God's sake) over 256GB in the age of streaming and cloud storages.

You can install more games.
Or if you are a professional and work at home - raw files and projects like movie making require a lot of space.

can you name any (better) alternatives?

Not to mention HDDs can be combined in RAID arrays to boost performance if necessary for less than an SSD. SSD pricing is fucked. Right now SSDs are ten times more expensive per gigabyte, meaning you could do a RAID 10 array in HDD for less than an SSD of equivalent capacity.

fo you actually buy all your digital music?

if not uploading even rips of your personal CD collection sounds risky... handing a lawyer evidence you have technically violated copyright laws is dumb.. enjoy getting sued.

Games.

Don't fall for the SSD meme.