/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Google
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6259
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for:
Muslc
Busybox
LLVM
Clang

Taking the hold from rms

BSD already tried that. Now they are sucking the dry cum out of Mapple's clang pipeline.

They didnt try anything,they migrated to clang

been waiting to post this

lmao

Is it safe/proper to use rsync with sudo privileges? All the backup scripts I've seen have it called by the user, but I have files readable by root which I need to transfer.

I'm unironically considering installing Gentoo because systemd appears to be something I should avoid. Please tell me if anything of the following is a misunderstanding:

- systemd centralizes a variety of functions that were previously handled by separate, interchangeable tools
- systemd generally works well and makes things easier
- systemd is found in all of the most common distros, and developers are now writing software with the expectation that systemd is present, breaking compatibility with systems that lack it
- systemd has massive scope, and understandably serious bugs are found occasionally
- systemd's lead developer is a massive douchebag and responds inappropriately to serious bugs and other legitimate concerns
- older init systems had various issues, but work fine overall

use calculate linux. gentoo without all the bullshit

If you copy permissions I don't see why it would be bad. Er, actually I don't know how that would map on the recieving side, it would probably just save it as the user. You should test it!

There's always Devuan if youre piss scared of having to compile all day long

>developers are now writing software with the expectation that systemd is present
As someone who is currently working on a Wayland compositor, I really wish logind was present on more distros.
Managing that shit yourself is annoying and logind does a much better job.

Sounds about right. Although
> understandably serious bugs are found occasionally
I think people writing a project like systemd should hold themselves to a higher standard than typical software, but they are moving very fast and presenting themselves as a good system for servers as an alternative to systems that have been stable for decades.

why gentoo, there are lots of other distros

letting go of ancient unix autism brings the linux system back into current year

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>actually I don't know how that would map on the recieving side
I use rsync locally, so no problems with that here. It does copy most permissions, provided you pass the -a archive argument.

w h y

that's a pretty old thumbnail, dad

>what are some cool terminal commands
$ date -ud@1341558719
Fri Jul 6 07:11:59 UTC 2012

How to convert 64-bit timestamp? e.g. the one that uses milliseconds instead of seconds?

date -ud@$((1341558719638/1000))
Jokes aside, you can't. Unix time simply works only with seconds.

Newfag.

does the job, thanks

My oldest stallman.

>Jokes aside, you can't
Firefox sqlite databases use it for their timestamps- they use a function which supports it. I actually couldn't figure it out how to get this on Linux. You can multiply unix time by 1 million to get second-accurate(?) 64-bit timestamps, but you can't get exact accuracy with this of course.

>being this new

what's a good GUI program for tagging flac files with artists, albums etc and adding album art?

puddletag, easytag

>10 years gplv3
>linux still on gplv2
wtf linus

No, pls not this one. It's early in the morning. Slowly pls.

Linus is a person who had trouble installing Debian. He doesn't care about GNU, he's closer to adopting systemd/Linux and dropping GNU altogether. Linus also supports DRM, etc.

date [email protected]

>1974
a bit off

I write a script to strip vorbis comments from my flac files and write id3 tags instead.

He cares less about the freedom value of GPL and more about the development model. Anti-tivoisation clause introduced in GPLv3 is against his and his employer's interests

>1974
Oh. Heh. Whoops. That should have been only the last three characters after the decimal point, not four.

Perfect! How did you find this?

How do I work with C# on Ubuntu?

while :; vim project.poo; rm project.poo; done

A guess. I usually just delete the milliseconds.

Hi
Finally decided to take the plunge and install linux mint.
However, mint cannot connect to my wifi and when i plug a wired connection it still cannot recognise it.
I suspect the problem is in network drivers but I can get them because I don't have internet in the first place.
Wat do?

Check yo logs!

Stop using Linux Mint (shitty downstream distribution which is worthless).
Install Ubuntu (still downstream from Debian, but so much changed that it's considered a proper "core" distribution).

Post output of "lspci -v"

sudo apt-get install mono-complete

is there any guide to make awesomeWM as comfy as possible?
I really like it a lot. Would be nice to have some internet connection widget or shit like that.
I know that i3 has it by default, but i3's shortcuts dont feel so comfy to me

I have a Windows 10 installation on my SSD and want to dualboot. It's installed with UEFI BIOS, however it creates no entry for boot on the boot devices (As in "Windows boot manager" I see on my laptop when looking for boot devices). I'm afraid if I try to install any Linux distro on this drive, its EFI will override Windows. What are my options?

>I know that i3 has it by default, but i3's shortcuts dont feel so comfy to me
So change them? How dense are you?

In Arch, is it possible to download the pkgbuild for official (i.e. not AUR) packages and compile from source? I could just get the source from the developer but it would feel better if I had a pkgbuild file so it put the files in the same place Arch would.

It says it's using drivers (r8169) for the wired network device, so it's not a driver problem. That means it's a software problem, as in you're not connecting properly.

Post output of "journalctl --since=today -u NetworkManager".
and post status of "nmcli".

Look into ABS.

Internet connection widgets are window manager independent.

Nnoo?

>requires svn
BUT I WANT TO USE GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

[spoiler]thanks anyway senpai[/spoiler]

>spoilers
DELET THIS

Use the asp tool from the official repositories. It uses git to fetch the PKGBUILDs.

What is the lvcreate command for making a complete . Copy of my / and place it into selected volume group?

dd if=/dev/zero of=./out.txt
will this fill drive space with zeros? or is that just theoretical?

Just a reminder that i all humans were nice all files could be chmod 7777 and and the need for permissions wouldn't exit

I hope this shithole gets demolished by aliums

I hate these fake PR pictures. You would go crazy for pain after sitting like that for two minutes.

All free space, yes.

But aliums destroying wouldn't be very nice either. This is the kind of reactionary thinking that brought about the post truth era.

My first Linux is gonna be Gentoo. How much suffering will I be dealing with here?

use calculate linux

the gentoo you love with none of the bullshit

>The Ungooglable Man
Please don't use terms like to "google" something with the meaning "to search for something on the web."
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Google

>none of the bullshit
this implies that there is bullshit in vanilla gentoo

How do I check which process is using up all of my bandwidth in GNU/Linux?

I'd say iftop & netstat.

I found out it was qBittorrent running in the background for some reason. No GUI, not even a system tray icon, just the process running in the background.

is there not? Who wants to compile all that shit? Just set it up and get on with your life

nethogs

welcome to gnu+linux.

> preaching to a re-poster
Do you ever take a moment to think about what you would like to achieve with your life?

damn, why doesn't have htop have some rx/tx columns

Because you didn't ask?

Thinking about adding the systemd issue tracker to my feed reader. It's like a daily soup.
>systemd vs posix
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6259

how to make wine *basic* secure?
should I make a dumb user, firejail or anything?

disable the Z drive and you should be set

poettering is right, linux doesn't care about posix.

this

I'm planning on getting back into Linux for educational purposes. Haven't messed around in it since back when Ubuntu was using gnome 2. Any suggestions for a good DE? Not necessarily going back to Ubuntu. I just hate gnome 3 and unity is not much better

KDE or XFCE

xfce and mate are nice. i use lxde personally and never have any issues.

>too lazy to parse User=123someone properly instead of using scanf("User=%u")
>rationalizes his own fucking incompetence by saying "standards don't matter"
why do we allow this man to be so relevant to GNU/Linux again?

mate is basically continuation of what gnome 2 was, so if you liked that, it's probably the best choice for you.

>I just hate gnome 3 and unity is not much better

try ubuntu mate. MATE desktop is basically a modern gnome2

Thanks boys, those all look pretty interesting. I'll probably have to play around with all of them

use gnome 3 + dash to panel extension

>who wants optimized software?
Me

This may seem like a ridiculous question but on a headless level, is there even really much difference between distros? I have a server that focuses networking and I've been wondering if I ran a specific OS i'd get better performance.

If I was to say, run Debian 9, would there be network performance differences between the beforementioned and Ubuntu 14.04 for example? I'd imagine if you knew exactly what you were doing CentOS would be the best best once you've spent hundreds of hours tinkering but I'm focusing more on the "out of the box" experiance

Standards actually don't matter. If they would matter, we would have a closed ecosystem without evolution.

the difference is roughly the same as at GUI level. Same software, but different versions. Some distro-specific software are different (such as package mangers).

More differences come in if you install a hardened distro with hardened kernel, selinux, extra security settings etc.

there is no point in not following this part of posix

What's a really nice, minimal yet amply futuristic icon theme for XFCE/GTK? Looking to see what anons here use

I think the actually problematic thing here is that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, which, at the end makes you use GPLv2 if you want to contribute. The whole problem would be easily solved if Linux would add the infamous `+' (or later) thingy, but, well. Everyone got his opinion.

You're not allowing anything, you're an irrelevant person who has no actual knowledge about anything. If you had you wouldn't be posting on here. You're a leech who is leeching of other people's work and saying "we".

this.

Since no or later version section they would need permission for everyone contributed to Linux ever to relicense it to GPLv3 as I heard. That's literally impossible.

Running arch on an old XPS M1330, runs like butter. One issue, the CMOS battery tray has broken, meaning every time you unplug the laptop or the battery dies, the time resets to the 90's. If I boot it and open a browser, I can't access any webpages due to the time being behind. Is there any way I can get the time to set itself every boot, based on locale or something similar?

>GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible
why did they even do this?