Sup Forums seems to have a thing for business/professional laptops such as thinkpads and latitudes

Sup Forums seems to have a thing for business/professional laptops such as thinkpads and latitudes.
What exactly is their intended purpose though? What business or what profession uses these on a regular basis.
I understand that it's actually a big market but what for? Surely text documents and spreadsheets can be edited on much cheaper laptops. So why are they so expensive for the performance they offer?

Reliability and stability matter in business
You know, if it breaks the user can't work
So it makes sense to spend a bit more for quality shit that does not break apart like consumer laptops do

Also on site support and shit like that

they just work ok with linux.

Working with databases, like with GIS.

because when a third party is buying something (i.e. your work), psychologically the user has no investment in the machine. Therefore they treat the thing like absolute shit like the fucking animals that they are. The business tries to account for this buy supplying their animals with things that are difficult to break.

I know the new ones come with i7s and even Xeons for on-the-go data analytic, database management, durability so you can use it as a switch, remote ssh for say your company's data center, even video editing.

Lots of things.

So essentially IT professionals or any guy working at a corporation?

The P50 is fucking amazing. I love mine.
>NVMe SSD
>i7 6700HQ
>32GB RAM
>dual GPU that actually doesn't suck with Linux
>nice screen, keyboard, pointing devices
The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the onboard audio hardware but there are two USB ports next to each other so I can jack in a USB DAC and a powered headset.
Yes.

Can someone recommend mainstream "well-built" laptops? Or shit like thinkpads and lattitudes are literally the only option?

cheap and reliable over time

this is necessary because Sup Forums is poor

I think Asus makes wellpriced laptops but the build is pretty flimsy.

My Toshiba feels pretty durable, but friends of mine have had bad experiences with it. HP is really hit or miss. I hate to recommend Chinese anything, but Lenovo's consumer line is not bad, they even have Thinkpads and Ideapads that are meant for low-budget consumers.

If you are looking for business laptops, there is only the 3 though.

>Lenovo's consumer line is not bad
Holy fuck they are awful, please don't be fooled by the big discounts and great "specs" they include, and please for the love of god don't go for an ideapad "gaming" laptop.

If you want business you pretty much have a MBP/X1 carbon/XPS and they all have their pros/cons.

Just about any that deals with numbers or data of some kind. Many companies that aren't in the pure tech sector deal with databases, fuckhuge Excel sheets (you have never felt true suffering until you've seen a 30mb minimum Excel sheet), working on company proprietary software, etc. In pure tech companies, there's also obviously software development, but in any kind of company there's a decent chance a user will have to go on a business trip with semi-sensitive information to go fix a problem or make a demonstration at another company. Linux compatibility is also something these machines can do decently unlike more mainstream products (incredibly important when dealing with servers).

My friend who works at a big financial tech company has a Dell laptop equipped with a Xeon (tricked out Dell Precision 7520) for being able to work on varying projects across the software development department and do it out of state if need be. Being able to do a lot in one package while around the office or six states away and not worrying about whether or not your computer will chug is an extremely useful ability.

The part that Sup Forums loves is that at the end of these laptops lifecycle, they'll be put up for sale at really marked discounts, mainly the Thinkpads. So Sup Forums will piss its pants about "muh fweedoms" and grab X220s for dirt cheap on ebay. If you're looking for an actual decent laptop that will serve you well, grab something business/professional by Dell, HP, or Lenovo. Don't fall for the "sleek" meme and do something stupid like buy an XPS or X1 Carbon, and make sure you consult as unbiased of a third party as possible if you're going to get a business-end Apple product.

What's wrong with Ideapads?

They are built like hasbro toys. I have repaired multiple ideapads and I can tell you they break if you drop them 50 cms.

holy shit kill yourself

they don't exist. they are designed to review well for about a month and then fall apart

just buy anything post-haswell, there's basically no difference in performance or features between u-series haswell and kaby

>>dual GPU that actually doesn't suck with Linux
Tell me more cause you got me curious.
Did they implement the feature differently?

A guy who repaired PCs for living claimed Lenovo was the least common.

because this is by far the best laptop design ever.

blue version is
but it comes close

>have a thing for business/professional laptops
>business/professional laptops
>business/professional
this is not just a words

Yeah because obviously it-s much better to dump it in the trash rather than dealing with that shit

is it worth spending a lot more money on a used Lenovo business laptop over a cheap Acer consumer laptop with similar specs?

First post is best post. I'm using a 10 year old business laptop and nothing ever broke or failed in a major way in over a decade. The biggest repair I've done is repaste the CPU a couple times and replace the keyboard and battery.

I work at a public justice procurator's office. Every justice procurator, justice promoter or any other bigshot get their own notebooks. We work with old SL410 Thinkpads ( some kind of modified T410 ) and the models 4440 and 745 of HP Elitebooks.

They need their notebooks because their jobs require a lot of traveling and they often need to make presentations.

Definitely a Chinkpad. It will just last you a lot longer.
The parts avaiability is greater, you'll be able to buy batteries for it decade from now

Another thing to consider is how it was designed.
Manufacturers don't obey standards on cheap shit (despite them being perfectly capable of doing it right on their high-end models) so If by any chance you'll want to use another OS, you'll get problems related to backlight and other non-essential-but-used features.

Why?