Why did the netbook meme die?

Why did the netbook meme die?
With the invention of highly efficient processors, great screens even in tiny sizes and cheap solid stage storage you'd expect to see an increase in them, not a decrease.

Other urls found in this thread:

onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Excel&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get a tablet and a keyboard attachment

They're too small.

screen is too small to be useful
13" is minimum and laptops with that size are common

They are still popular in the form of cheap convertible tablets, chromebooks, and they still sell regular windows ones.
They actually never died.

because intel gave up on atom processors

Because smartphones and tablets are powerful enough that they can run everything 10x better than any netbook could. Also 11 inch laptops are small enough that they're ultraportable but can still be decently powerful and have a screen big enough to do real work.

No Idea why they killed it off. Probably because people bought those instead of other computer because they've been good enough.

Any suggestions of a 2 in 1 that uses a x86 processor and a screen good enough for drawing?

Cause if Windows tablets

because the only thing holding them back was the bloated desktop OS, and chromeOS solved that problem

Because of smartphones and tablets

> a device 5 times smaller can run it 10 times better

that has never and never will be true. any netbook is a dozen times more powerful than the most powerful phones. it has a bigger screen and a keyboard and a mouse.

>can run everything 10x better than any netbook
that's wasn't the case back then when Netbooks became a thing and it's still not true even though the smartphone SOCs should be more powerful than let's say an Atom N270. However the usecase is simply different. Android is shit, that's why.

11 inch laptops are not small enough. Even 10 inch is little bit too close. Better size is 9 inch. Even when you don't believe it, it is so.

Today I'd like a higher resolution than 1024x600 , though.

(Personaly I think 5 inch GPD Win, Pocket Computer is even superiour to Netbooks)

I think they came too early.
Any time someone had to use one that wasn't a mom that got one to replace a 10 year old PC, there was an perceptible inaudible groan.
The processors used in Netbooks were just too fucking shit, and they had terrible, terrible performance.
Now would be a good time for a Netbook resurgence with Intel Core M (not even shilling here -- it's a processor that's perfect for this task).

with them being completely useless and far too small to use comfortably you would expect them to have never been made in the first place, OP.

If you need something smaller than a laptop your phone can do everything #a netbook would ever do and more.

Normies didn't like it was slow and bulky compared to a macbook air and then came tablets out. Nowadays it's all about big smartphones, tablets and those ultrabooks

with such a horrible, tiny user interface could you really expect them to have ever sold anyway? why would you want a keyboard that small? tablets are infinitely better and even they don't really sell because it's a non-market

>Even when you don't believe it, it is so.
Wow, you really convinced me.

I'm not trying to convice you. I simply say how it is. Actually since I am a Desktop, Laptop, Netbook and Smartphone owner and I had various Netbooks, I just called you out on your nonsense.

is an x220 a netbook?

smartphones and tablets taking their role

Everything is now just an "app" on some iToddler's "phone"

They were shot, and that's why people started to hate them
The low power Intel atom cpus were absolute garbage that struggled to run Google chrome with just one open tab, imagine trying to run chrome and word, for example
The battery life was literally impossible to know
You could look at the battery indicator at 100% and it would tell you there were 300h left
15 mins later battery was at 75%

more like a notebook

I have a phone and a tablet and a good back to carry my 15.6" Laptop.

because they are too small and slow.

All I use a netbook for is to fuck with DOS.

ultrabooks and tablets took up the same niche of ultra portable general computing device, tablets taking up the same price bracket as the netbooks of yesteryear. If you notice, the screens are the same size and resolution on most low end tablets. Just make it cheaper by removing the keyboard, and make everything soldered and charge the same amount.

Because normies dictate the market now.

you are probably one of those that say that the x220 is heavy.

Nobody liked the form factor. We have laptops with low power CPUs and larger screens. We also have the Surface and the iPad Pro for people who want the portability of a small screen with an optional keyboard.

The other reason is that nobody liked the Atom CPUs. They had a big reputation for being underpowered, and by the time Intel tried to make them faster and even more efficient, the Atom name was already associated with shit. So yes, Atom CPUs eventually made their way into tablets and a couple phones, but nobody really liked them. The market already has fast arm chips like the Tegra and super efficient i5 and i7s when more power is needed. There isn't really room for another Atom.

It didn't.

They really were too small, though I did like the passive cooling and ridic battery life on the EEE 901. Fuckin' 12 hours, easy, with CrunchEEE. That thing just sipped power. At home, I'd plug it into an external monitor and KB/mouse. It was comfy, but honestly though, it wasn't that much more convenient than the x200 series machines that I am using now and I don't need to hook the x200 series machines up to external stuff at home for it to be comfy enough.

I used the x220 as my main device for about 2 years so no, I don't say that. Why would you even think that.

Theres plenty of small laptops around, but many of them grew by an inch to 11.1" the extra size giving them a more comfortable keyboard area. And now with smaller bezels they have 12" laptops the same size as an 11"

nope, the hardware was top tier and fast enough for everybody, the problem was normies wanted to run windows on it, and windows is literally just a series of botnets inside botnets which makes it slow as fuck

when i bought this fucker almost a decade ago it was slow and disgusting, it took like 5 minutes to boot out of the box, it was full of bloatware and windows 7 starter wouldn't even let me change the background image because that feature was reserved for windows 7 home pro plus or whatever. then I installed GNU/Linux on it felt faster than the few years old powerbook i was using at the time

oh, that's true, too. Since I always used linux on my netbooks, I had not problem with performance at all. Well, I did an upgrade to 2GB of RAM in most cases, but I truly felt the limit of 1-2 GB only just in the middle of last year when browsers became even more ressources hungry and bloated.

nobody wants to use an inferior OS like Linux though.

>meme
Don't sully useful tech with such a word. I wish netbooks were still a thing. Tablets just aren't the same. I still have a Toshiba NB505 that's lasted longer than a LOT of other devices I've owned over the years. It came equipped with Vista and can run 7 well enough, but I put (I believe) Lubuntu on it and it still functions as it did when I first bought it.

x220 is less than 13"

They took a different form. If you're going to make something small and powerful, give it a "gaming" name to make it stand out. You have a portable Windows machine that can play games decently enough and even do other computer stuff as well, maybe even has video out.

Even though PC games don't sell nearly as well as console, the idea of playing games on PC got really popular, so "gaming" purpose devices should pave the way for better, more efficient hardware.

Because it was a meme market. Theres a reason why netbooks went down right when smartphones/tablets went up. People wanted a tiny computer and a smartphone accomplished everything 99% of the netbook market wanted. Then also came google laptops which also took up the 'cheap' laptop category netbooks also had.
Basically Google killed netbooks.

The early generation netbooks were hot and slow and had keyboards that were too small, tablets and smartphones do mostly everything that netbooks were intended for and started becoming common soon after netbooks appeared.

Netbooks of acceptable quality became too close in price to a low-end ultraportable (it's utter bullshit the way Intel managed to effectively renamed an EXISTING market segment to Intel® Ultrabook™) to be able to sustain any traction. That combined with tablets, anyway.

Netbooks were shit. Far too many rose-tinted specs in here. Shit keyboards, ugly designs, awful displays.

while gaming certainly is a plus, in case of that GPD WIN the Analog Sticks make more sense on that size than anything else.

a nub, is an okay input method compared to a touchpad for most task but once you want some scrolling it's those two nubs that make it a really great expirience. that's also why I'd prefer the win over the pocket, even though the pocket got a better keyboard.

>With the invention of highly efficient processors
Look at the price of Core M.

>cheap solid stage storage
Good storage isn't cheap.

A good small laptop is basically an ultrabook and the price makes them unobtainable for most.

keyboards on 10" computers suck dick. you can get 12" ideapads and that's the absolute smallest i'd go. probably just going to kit out an old thinkpad instead though

What was the point of them

more like shitbook

>highly efficient processors, great screens even in tiny sizes and cheap solid stage storag
You seem to be very misinformed about the quality of netbooks. The vast majority of netbooks were fucking garbage. Slow, small amounts of RAM. Shitty fucking processors and an egregious amount of storage.

Besides, netbooks are still around: we just call them "Chromebooks."

I still use one with a nice light distro on for easy carry when I don't want anything weighing me down. They have their place, but I'd never use it as a primary machine.

They're only used by on site technicians these days, the ones who need a light device with a serial port
A lot of people use their phones instead of desktops or laptops even because of the handiness. If a modern equivalent of netbooks is made, it will have to complete with smartphone in that aspect

No, we call Chromebooks "Chromebooks", not netbooks.

Because my T440s doesn't weigh a whole lot more and does way more.

The advent of light laptops with large screens, and convertibles has destroyed laptops and tablets.

same guy here, meant netbooks, not laptops

an user using similar specs

Just buy the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air and install Linux in it

I'm shitposting on an acer aspire right now
>Tiny 7 is decently fast
>2GB RAM
>Great battery life
Free from workplace, only reason I have 'em

Tablets

They died well before that

No

Because it can't fit in your pocket, and if it can't fit in your pocket you might as well buy a fucking real laptop.

This is why those new GPD Wins are hot.

>if it can't fit in your pocket you might as well buy a fucking real laptop
My laptop's only 12.1" and I still have a 10.1" and 4.5" device for whatever I feel like carrying and depending on how I'm going to carry it

A fucking Surface pro 3-4

that's great, but most people don't want to own 10 computers in different sizes to coordinate with their outfits

what laptop do you have?

those fat gnome titlebars are horrifying. use unity - it was fucking designed for netbooks in the first place

lower resolutions look so comfy in screenshots but they're probably so annoying to work with

I wear the same outfit regardless of device

Latitude XT2

This.

I have an 11" MacBook Air with an """i7""" an 8GB of memory.

I never use it. I use my 2012 non retina 13" mBP instead.

I'm getting a latitude 2100 from ebay soon. Gonna see if it's good or not. It has an atom, so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Netbooks are perfect devices for 0.0000000001% of all consumers. That's why they died. Most Normies (incl. your average Ubuntu user) can't utilize them properly.

I ran Gentoo / dwm / surf / vim on my Netbook and it was heaven (sadly it broke a few weeks ago).

Normies only use Mac or Windows. Either rich daddy's white daughters or a gaymer.

Is the first Surface pro 4 worth buying? Fuck spending at least 1400 Euros for the new one with the keyboard.

I've always loved Netbooks. Fuck carrying around anything more than 13inches and smaller is better.

They didn't really die they just became ultrabooks

becuase tablets are the new """"vision"""" for your """"experience"""". the reason why we've got tablets instead of netbooks now is entirely due to marketing misinformation and designed obsolesence. basically retards think that the more they look like tony stark swiping and prodding with fingers and stylist pens the more productive theyll be. also tablet books have even more mcdonalds toy quality.

honestly if people didnt believe touchscreens were useful the manufactuers would just convince them they were using psychographics, infact they already did by cornering the iron man jarvis dads and hipster artists, thats like 50% of the market. if they could market a computer operated by shoving a giant horse dildo up your ass they would if it returned a higher profit margin somehow. remember: utility doesnt matter, at least it wont until we're well into the resource crisis and we're mining landfills, then we'll probably have to renig on all the bad ideas.

No point getting netbooks when nowadays you have 13.3inch ultrabooks that weigh less than those netbooks from 2007 and are more powerful to boot.

surface.

The A10 from the iPhone is actually faster than a Sandy Lake dual core Core i3

A10x from the 2017 iPad is equal to an Ivy Bridge quad core i5

>where are the proofs?

Because Atoms are the crappiest processors ever invented.
So normies either get a tablet or level up to proper laptops/ultrabooks.

This. Wangblows was too heavy for shitty Atom CPUs.

Buy the certified refurbished one and buy type cover + pen on Amazon to save some money.
OR find a cheaper Windows tablet/laptop with N-trig or Wacom AES, like the HP Spectre X2 is basically a $400 Surface Pro 4 with pen and keyboard included in the box . Use this list:
onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Excel&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM

My atom n450 begs to differ.

I just need something small with video output.
Should I go for the GPD pocket?

I had one. I didn't mind it while I had it but I'm not exactly missing it now that I'm using a $200 Thinkpad I got from a guy on Gumtree.
Take that as you will.

>a screen good enough for drawing
>$200 Thinkpad
X1 tablet is that cheap now?

Didn't see that, only someone asking how a Surface Pro 4 is. My bad. I could see it being good for drawing but it's not as stable a drawing platform as I'd like based on some note-taking I've done with it. I hear the pen is great for it, though.