What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>What's the best ACME Product you've seen on loony toons?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links and info:
For the sake of work, you are allowed to use a name. Just don't
make yourself look like a dumb ass and make me regret saying
that.

If you need help, you can use Clyp.it if you wish to stay user.

If this thread is ded you are welcomed to Nexus, A Discord server
specifically made around Sup Forums. If link is bork,
please message the thread. There is a DAW General chat here:

discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O

[NOTE: THIS LINK SHOULD REMAIN VALID THROUGHOUT THE ARCHIVES.]

if you're interested more of the production.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eclMFa0mD1c
supercollider.github.io/
learningmusic.ableton.com/the-playground.html
onlinesequencer.net/527169
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(software)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Um hi. Uhh I use fl um 10?

That's cool.
I use FL 11.

Renoise is awesome. Trackers are way more intuitive than everything else.

I've heard that about that one that people have been using for chiptunes.

nice, i still use fl 10

though i did install fl 12 as well so i can use its superior asio implementation

Yeah trackers are low level sound programming, similar to how the sound chips of video games are programmed. Each track is a series of commands for a sound processor like "play sample". The sound is created as the program reads these commands and executes them.

People used to make music modules, which were these instructions coupled with the needed samples for playing them back. Entire music files were like 300 kb.

Here's a cool example:

youtube.com/watch?v=eclMFa0mD1c

which would explain why you could have so much music in 1 game that's is like 1MB. Literally Pokemon Red is 1MB which is fuckin impressive.

I love how people can extract the music itself and then make a program that plays them back standalone. Back then I used Winamp, it had this plugin called UMX player that could play back the audio files from Unreal Tournament 99, it had all these settings that allow you to somehow alter how it played the music, that's when I figured out it was an audio module file. Winamp has plugins for every console, people could rip SNES music and play it back unaltered on the player

I think it's awesome how the computer allows you to overcome execution as a limitation. You could spend years mastering an instrument, but the sound chips don't need to, you just tell them the exact instructions they need to play the music and they do it. To this day I look at music as a computer program

Anyone manage to use Reaper for electronic music? I'm familiar with it and it fits my needs for tracking live instruments and rock music and such, but I wonder if I want to learn how to make more sample based stuff if it would be better to use a different DAW.

yeah I partly do the same. I've been working on and off on my KORG DSN12 for the 3DS. for a little program on the 3DS it's really impressive. I looked into some music made by it and I was really surprised what all it could do. What they should allow is to output it directly to the internet or at least to your card. I don't know why they didn't.

A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to get the music from a game in the first place. Like on the Sims 2 they were called Package files, sims 1, 3 and 4 are just MP3s

Those DS synthesizers are awesome. I have a korg cartridge for the original DS, played a lot with it. I dunno why they don't allow exporting either. Seems they have a similar program for iPad.

Modern games use recorded audio files since storage space is no longer an issue. I'm told Ogg Vorbis format easily accomodates looping music. To me it feels like games lost a bit of their "charm", I can't describe it I guess I just like how sharp chiptunes sound like. When games play back recorded music, as far as the sound chip is concerned, it's as if the program loaded a huge sample made out of the entire music and told it to play it back in a single instruction. Maybe the music is split into many pieces according to some buffer size.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone have any experience with Arturia lab for synth emulation? I've been kinda looking into getting a synth, but I don't really have any idea where to start and don't want to throw down a lot of money just yet, so I was thinking of possibly getting a cheap midi controller and downloading this software.

>What DAW is yours?
Studio One Pro
About 2-3 years
About 8 years
Rap and EDM
EDM
Yeah, Ableton Live after I get more comfortable with inserts and how to implement them.
Serum definitely
Yeah, it's what I love to do and what keeps me going.

How do you learn this stuff
I want to remix ny favorite songs

remixing is Virtual DJ stuff, honestly making music and remix (IMO) are 2 completely different things I don't consider DJing music, it's a side job. All it is is a dude with a lot of music on a hard drive hitting play. Anyone with Pandora, Google play or youtube could do it. Hell, VLC on an android

Huh, now I'm not sure, maybe remix isn't what I actually want
I want to make the music sound all different, with new instruments, new style. I want to remake the music

Anyone with experience creating synths? Im a programmer interested in music production but not sure the hurdles required to make a tool like thay.

You mean like take an acapella/vocals only from your favorite song and make your own instrumental under that? Head over to and see if /prod/ can help

supercollider.github.io/

>What DAW is yours?
FL Studio
since FL Studio 7
maybe 9 years, no academic background though
I'm not sure at this point
I'm not sure at this point
all the time
Rob Papen Predator
sure, but I did get somewhere. I'm a sound designer for a mobile game dev company.
Bonus points:

I don't remember, none of them seemed to be any good (they always blew up on Coyote's face)

>>Sup Forums
>>Sup Forums
>>Sup Forums
>>Sup Forums
gtfo reeee this board is for gnu/shitposting sicp lisp autism buyfags piratefags c is dead install gentoo sjwhub ryzen templeos
this board is NOT for things I actually like and don't want to see memed on gtfo reeeeeeeeeeeee

How the fuck do you learn how to mix and master music properly without going to a music school? All the tracks I've made on Ableton have sounded like muddy shit.

Has anyone unironically used Linux for music production, like legit? I've tried shit like Ubuntu Studio but some of the programs were pretty unstable.

You might be interested in Reaktor.

No.

>FL 10, iirc
>4-5 years or so
>11, first picked up a guitar when I was 13.
>Drum and Bass
>Also Drum and Bass
>Nope
>Sylenth or Zeta
>Yep, I'm a hobbyist

Live
5 years
17 years
Hard Trance
Hard Trance
Pop
MC-505
Yes, for all time
Crate of Taz

>renoise
mah nigga

WELL you can work with wine and use FL in it. It's not hard but it's possible

Dom from Dom & Roland uses Reaper. I own it and I have tried and was somewhat successful after editing the hot keys and stuff. If you mess around with it long enough you can get its workflow working for you.

>unironically calls his music EDM
kek

>What DAW is yours?
I don't know why I feel so much better using Apple products, but I use a MacBook Pro.
I've been using Mac since 2012.
My dad made me listen to jazz music when I was a kid.
I don't like to define myself with genres, I do what I want how I want.
The last few things I've been working on I'm really digging. My band is like a combination of Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, and Joy Division.
Upgrading for sure this year.
There's a menu called "Samples" and I think it's pretty versatile.
My goal is to become the main character in a shonen manga, believe it.
Bonus points:

ACME records.

renoise has linux version

That's called mixing not remixing.
Two completely different things.

I'm surprised you go as far as giving advice about something you don't even know the very basics of.

I own ableton live 9 but want to avoid wine, should i use ardour on linux?

You need to learn music production in the first place.
If you EXCLUSIVELY want to make remixes, then you can just learn the basics and then spend all your time on the "remixing in Ableton/Fl/etc" kind of tutorials.

It also depends on the level of remix you want to do.
For example, if you want to impress other producers you have to learn the whole music production process (as it requires all the skills of producing original songs, plus sample manipulation, being able to create new music based on the song you want to remix, etc), but if you want to impress your friends with relatively small edits to a song, you only have to learn a DAW and experiment a little.
You can choose between these two or anything in between.

You watch tutorials by the pros (start with dave pensado and matthew weiss) and read books (start with bobby owsinski).

>DAW
why do you need a fancy term for a pc running Fruity Loops?

reaper in wine works pretty well

>What DAW is yours?
renoise
3 years
around 10 years
techno
techno
I'm trying to learn supercollider but it's intricate as fuck
sh-101
yes

A DAW isn't a PC running FL. It's just the FL program.

workstation usually refers to the whole pc, not just some software

in theory yes but there's few compatible audio interfaces

Recommend me a simple stupid sequencer to play with when bored.
I use onlinesequencer. I know shit about music, just want to have fun with it. onlinesequencer is just what I need but it lags too much because it's online. I tried Sunvox but it's too complicated. I am using GNU+Linux computer operating system.

Yes, but "Digital Audio Workstation" specifically refers to the program because it's a simulation of a regular hardware "audio workstation".

In other words, it doesn't mean "workstation of digital audio", but "audio workstation that's digital".

Are you the same guy from above that posts without knowing the very basics of what he's talking about or it's two separate people?

>Are you the same guy from above that posts without knowing the very basics of what he's talking about or it's two separate people?
You just described all of Sup Forums

Not in this case you stupid autist. It's a digital workstation, ergo a hardware workstation in digital form, ergo a piece of software.

Also I use fruity loops, I only use a handful of VST's, as I've got a digital polysynth and an analog mono in hardware.

I played around with jeskola buzz a bit, but the modulation/routing options weren't nearly as good as all the hype had led me to believe.

learningmusic.ableton.com/the-playground.html

I suggest you go at the start and do the exercises too, since they're pretty fun.

Sup Forums is usually people who aren't very good but act like they're more competent than what they are.
These two are cases of knowing nothing and making shit up while also acting like experts.
It's a whole new level of stupidity.

>>What DAW is yours?
FL like I said above
>>How long you been on it?
Since elementary school I guess, started out with Hammerhead, Anvil Studio and Audacity, at some point I downloaded the FL demo and the rest is history
>>How long have you been into music?
Since I was 10 or so
>>What genre do you play with the most?
Electronic shite, IDM, techno, noise, acid, ambient, etc...
>>What Genre do you think you are best at?
None
>>Have you thought about changing up to something else?
Not really, although I'd like to program my own sequencer/synth/virtual modular thingy someday
>>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?
Software: JuceOPLVSTi, a vst version of the OPL 2-operator FM chip emulation from dosbox.
Hardware: MFB Nanozwerg
>>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?
Yea, I don't plan on getting anywhere.

I kind of want to get a nintendo DS just for those 2 korg synths. I have an old fat PSP but I don't think there's much music software for it, except MTV Music Maker through the PSX emulator lol.

>so I was thinking of possibly getting a cheap midi controller and downloading this software.
That's definitely the way to start, I don't know about that specific software but you can get a controller + some simple virtual analog VST and you're good to go. There's a lot of good free VST plugins as well.

I once created an FM synth in python with numpy, it could almost run real-time lol.
But I've been planning on following some VST tutorial since forever.

It's a vast subject and it depends a lot on what kind of music you want to do, people wrote whole books about that.
Try to listen to your tracks on a broad range of different speakers and compare it with a track you like, from shitty laptop speakers to headphones and monitoring speakers.
Avoid mixing the track the same day you produce it, you want to have fresh ears to mix. Also make frequent breaks to avoid ear fatigue it fucks up with the levels

Very nice.
Can't save my shit though.

I rewrote it to onlinesequencer. onlinesequencer.net/527169 r8
I like how simple percussion is. I could never comprehend it in onlineseq desu. Also the sounds are much better.

So has Massive been definitely usurped by Serum? A few years ago literally everyone was using Massive, but now I see much more mention of Serum and almost none of Massive. They look very similar anyway.

Ah, sorry, I thought you just wanted some little thing to play around non-seriously to kill time.

Get a full DAW then.
I don't know much about Linux, but I hear Bitwig is pretty nice (very similar to Ableton) and it has a Linux version.

>I thought you just wanted some little thing to play around non-seriously to kill time.
Yes.

I don't even know why I want to save my crap, whatever.

The Ableton thing from before lets you save your stuff, but to play it back you need the actual Ableton, so with Linux you're kind of out of luck unless you want to use Wine and such, but at this point you might as well get something else and skip the Ableton stuff entirely.

Bump

>Reaper for electronic music
Reaper is a great for "regular" recording where you're tracking live instruments, and it's even good for MIDI stuff (especially now with the "musical staff" editor), but it's not a great way to launch clips or any of that sample-based stuff. You really want to be using Ableton or Bitwig for stuff like that.

hell ya. renoise has been my new shit the past month or so. Is it possible to cut snippets / resample? Thats the only thing i miss from ableton.
Switched over 2 gnu full time

really? i will have to try this.

i guess i'm worried about driver support. maybe ASIO will work?

FL 12 and Cubase 5

renoise + scarlett solo works out of the box on ubuntu.

been using renoise for about 5 years, when 3 came out, i couldn't get used to it and almost hated it. Once i grew out of my stubbornness i started using it in my latest works and now i can't live without it.

I am just beginning to learn how to use it with external hardware synths. I have a tb-3 and i want to use renoise to program the notes but it doesn't work the way i want it to, but that might just be the limitations of windows itself so i think i am gonna try linux with it soon since i already have it installed but i still prefer renoise on windows. anyone try using synths with renoise?

>frequent breaks
this is golden advice. most people do not do this, thinking it will slow them down. these people could not be further from the truth.

Hi, Linuxfag here, I've been looking into DAWs for a while now and it seems like I've only got a couple options:
1) fork out a significant amount of money for bigwig
2) use ardour
3) use WINE for reaper/other windows DAW

Using wine seems pretty counterintuitive as I need all the processing power I can get and wine doesn't help with that.
At the moment, I only play live instruments and occasionally use midi for drums and shit but I might be looking to branch out. Is it worth learning ardour or should I not be so stingy and just get bitwig?

>fork out a significant amount of money for bigwig
Isn't it piratable?

I wasn't paying attention is all.

DIGITAL- It's on a computer
AUDIO - sound and shit
WORKSTATION - you work on it
Meaning any of the sort.

I will never claim to be an expert, or there of. I'm still learning like the rest of you guys

if your pc can do it, try out the DS emulator.
But Kork DSN12 is actually on the 3DS

Massive is a music bank while Serum is a music designing program.
They are similar in banks due to how they store it. Massive on the other hand like 1 user was talking to me about the chiptune stuff, it can distort and so on. It's not bad and it's def useful.

Serum is by far my favorite plugin

yeah but some people do like owning a legit copy. If something fucky happens to it and you pirated it you can't do shit about it to the company.

>I will never claim to be an expert, or there of. I'm still learning like the rest of you guys
Then don't explain shit to people when you don't know it yourself.

I'll explain it to the best of my ability. You aint gotta be an ass user calm it dude.

Just buy bitwig. Learning to use Ardour is a waste of time and running a DAW through WINE is insanity, especially when you plan to play instruments with it ( latency )

>Massive is a music bank while Serum is a music designing program.
>They are similar in banks due to how they store it. Massive on the other hand like 1 user was talking to me about the chiptune stuff, it can distort and so on. It's not bad and it's def useful.
Wut?

Have you ever used Massive?
It's a sound design beast.
When it comes to subtractive/wavetable synthesis it's only second to Serum.

Hell, half the crazy sound design dubstep producers came up with during its peak popularity years (2010 and following couple of years) were created in Massive.
Just because third parties also made a ton of presets for it it doesn't mean it's made for them (like a rompler for example), and it's not also excellent for sound design.

I'm calm dude.
Just explaining to you that if you don't know something it's better to not say anything, rather than teach him the wrong information that you made up.

I used it on and off, if I remember right it's a giant program like 5 gbs I think. I thought it had a bunch of wave files, unless I'm thinking of something else.

I could be thinking of something else as well if we (the above post) are not on the same page.

Start with MAX

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(software)

>I could be thinking of something else as well if we (the above post) are not on the same page.
What do you mean?

>I used it on and off, if I remember right it's a giant program like 5 gbs I think. I thought it had a bunch of wave files, unless I'm thinking of something else.
See?
You keep saying wrong stuff that you know nothing about.

How old are you?

It's possible I'm thinking of another soundbank VST that does what I'm thinking cause it has been a while.
>2nd
Ever think you just like pointing out faults in people cause of your own insecurities?
>age
1 why the hell does that matter my age
2 25
It literally has nothing to do with this. Age does not verify anything

>It's possible I'm thinking of another soundbank VST that does what I'm thinking cause it has been a while.
If you don't remember or you're not sure, why give advice then?
The guy will end up learning wrong things.

>Ever think you just like pointing out faults in people cause of your own insecurities?
Nope.
I actually always try to be nice, but in this case you're not only having an extremely stupid and damaging behavior (since people don't know you're an incompetent idiot and learn form what you say), but you're also defending it lmao.

>1 why the hell does that matter my age
>2 25
>It literally has nothing to do with this. Age does not verify anything
It's because you're displaying extremely immature behavior that's typical of children or at most, teenagers.

this conversation between you two has really activated my almonds guys, thanks.

You're being an asshole for no reason user, you could have corrected me instead but no, you have to point out flaws and show what an ass you can be
>you're acting like a child/teenager
Please show me your psychology degree user. Time stamp and all. I'm acting nothing like a child. What you and I consider child like behavior, is completely different.
For starters, I got something wrong, oh no, not that, anything but that!
2 Again, i messed up. I got something wrong. If you're always nice, why don't you prove it and explain what the problem is, then explain what is correct without being an ass. It's not hard user, you just don't want to.

the conversation could have gone the correct direction but instead that user wants to try and act like mr cool guy by showing off what I did wrong. If he had just corrected me, none of this would have gone the direction it did.

not totally related but does anyone have tried running rekordbox in wine? It seems it can't add playlists to usb drives but I didn't find many infos on this and they're all pretty old

>it's all the other guy's fault!
it takes two to tango

I realize this user. I am only arguing back because he is arguing with me. If he stops, I'll stop.

I honestly don't want to continue but my personality says otherwise.

>You're being an asshole for no reason user, you could have corrected me [...]
I did correct you without insulting you first.
Here: Then here [] I told you "Then don't explain shit to people when you don't know it yourself", which may have offended you because I used the word shit and you may have thought I was being aggressive.
Take it as "Then don't explain things to people when you don't know it yourself".

>Please show me your psychology degree user. [...]
You don't need a degree to see that somebody is acting childishly. You just don't see it because it's you and if you realized how childish it is you wouldn't have done it, so it's clear that you don't see it as childish.

>For starters, I got something wrong, oh no, not that, anything but that!
The problem isn't that you got something wrong. Is that you know that you don't know something, and yet you keep teaching people about it.
You did it when talking about mixing/remixing, then about Massive.
I simply told you that it's a stupid thing to do, and you got offended, then moved the goalpost to "boo hoo, you were rude to me" on fucking Sup Forums of all places, while still arguing that talking out of your ass and teaching people about something not even you know the basics of is totally normal mature behavior that mature people do.

>2 Again, i messed up. I got something wrong.
I don't care that you got something wrong. We all do sometimes.
It's just that you go around teaching people using information that you made up.
At least if you're not sure, do like everybody does, and say "I'm not sure but", or "If I remember correctly", or "don't quote me on that but", so the other guy knows you're not sure about it instead of reading a confidently-worded post that's all wrong.

> If you're always nice, why don't you prove it and explain what the problem is [...]
I did that multiple times, but you keep ignoring it and arguing about me being rude instead of arguing about your behavior.

If you want me to ignore your posts and stop responding to you, I have no problem doing so.

I'm just trying to make you understand why it's bad to teach people things you know nothing about.

Also, remember you're on Sup Forums. Don't have such a thin skin. We all shit-talk each other here.

Yes, you did sound aggressive, if you weren't then ok.

>acting like a child
I'm not yelling at you, I'm not arguing a point about it, I even said I may have it wrong and you act like that's being a child, as if being wrong is something only children do.

>mixing and remixing
Oh no, I knew what I was talking about but got 2 words mixed up.

>I don't care you got something wrong
If you didn't care, then why are you going on about it with me?

>my behavior
You act like some self-riotous adult who doesn't make mistakes and is all knowing. That's what I am annoyed with user. Stop acting like that and act like the "nice" person you claim to be and maybe I would respond a bit better.

>Why it's bad to teach people you know nothing about.
I got the terms wrong, but I got the rest right. I know that much. You act like because I got a word wrong it's the end of the world.

>thin skin
It's not about that user, it's the way you're going on about it with me. I admitted my faults, I admitted where I was wrong but you make it as though it's the worst thing in the world. Or it's what it feels like to me.

you have the opportunity to be the bigger man in this situation

good point.

>What DAW is yours?
Ableton/Maschine

4 months

Listening:45 years
Production: on and off 10 years

Prog/Synth stuff

I played a lot of jazz piano

I recently bought a JAM with maschine so i could learn some modern electronic music

KORG M3

Absolutely

Use Bitwig Studio if you want, it was made by some developers from Ableton or something

>I'm not yelling at you, I'm not arguing a point about it, I even said I may have it wrong and you act like that's being a child, as if being wrong is something only children do. Nope.
I explained very clearly that it's not that you were wrong. It's that you act like making things up when teaching others is acceptable, and I think that this is something that mature people don't do.
This is literally the only childish thing I'm accusing you of.

>mixing and remixing
>Oh no, I knew what I was talking about but got 2 words mixed up.
By the fact that it's an extremely basic thing (meaning anyone who knows the tiniest bit about the subject would never mix them up) and most importantly, that you did it again in the same thread, tells me you have the tendency of talking without knowing, and I simply told you that it's a bad thing and you shouldn't do it.

>If you didn't care, then why are you going on about it with me?
It's literally in the sentence right next to the one you're quoting.
Also, I don't keep arguing because I enjoy grilling you or something.
It's because you respond to me, so I have to respond to you.
Would you prefer me just ignoring you and stop responding?

>You act like some self-riotous adult who doesn't make mistakes and is all knowing. That's what I am annoyed with user. Stop acting like that and act like the "nice" person you claim to be and maybe I would respond a bit better.
You keep using the strawman of "you're rude to me because I made a mistake", which, as I've already told you ad nauseam, is not the case.
My problem is that you teach people things that you don't know about, and it seems to me that you're agreeing on how making things up when someone asks a question isn't a good thing, correct?

1/2

>Why it's bad to teach people you know nothing about.
I got the terms wrong, but I got the rest right. I know that much. You act like because I got a word wrong it's the end of the world.
But you did it twice with the Massive thing too (which you also confirmed saying you didn't remember because you used it on and off a long time ago). That makes it seem like it wasn't just two coincidental mistakes, but a proclivity for talking without knowing.
If it is a coincidence and you never do that, then I apologize and what I said doesn't apply to you (only to the idea I have of you).

>>thin skin
>It's not about that user, it's the way you're going on about it with me. I admitted my faults, I admitted where I was wrong but you make it as though it's the worst thing in the world. Or it's what it feels like to me
Except you didn't. You only aknowledged that you said a wrong thing, not that it's wrong to teach people about stuff you're not competent at, as shown here [] where you said "I'll explain it to the best of my ability", meaning that even if you don't know what you're talking about, you'll still explain it (as long as it's your best), regardless if it's actually true or not.
To which I responded that it's better to not say anything if you're not sure that it's the right information.
2/2

>>What DAW is yours?
Reaper
>>How long you been on it?
4 years
>>How long have you been into music?
8 years
>>What genre do you play with the most?
"new" wave
>>What Genre do you think you are best at?
rock, metal
>>Have you thought about changing up to something else?
yeah i want to start an ambient black metal band because fuck the rules
>>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?
anything ensoniq for electro. for 'wave stuff, basic analog synths are the best. the moog minitaur / taurus for bass.
>>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?
fuck yeah

ok

>self-riotous