What's the FOSS way of syncing files between computers? Do you guys just do cron jobs plus ssh/ftp?

What's the FOSS way of syncing files between computers? Do you guys just do cron jobs plus ssh/ftp?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilio_Sync
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncthing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thumb sticks and ssh/ftp

Syncthing can do it for you.

rzync

It blows my mind that this is still the best way to do it (I usually sftp). Is there any way to host my own dropbox-like server?

owncloud
nextcloud
beniscloud

>using the cloud

this

syncthing started off finnicky but it's gotten really good by now. Slightly different use cases though, mostly because of syncthing's 2-way pairing and dropbox's website through which you can access all your files regardless of having it set up on the current host. You could make your own private website for that but then you're gonna be busy for a while and open up a lot of holes to yourself.

stupid frogposter

it's a server you run yourself, you nigger

I just wrote an rsync script to my raspberry with a 2tb external.

>raspberry
>ext disk
enjoy your power shortage and all the problems that brings, not to mention the badly bottlenecked io

You know you can get powered external enclosures.

i have a shitty linux laptop i want to use as mediacenter. Could i access it from my other laptop with SSH, control it and/or stream movies and shit? if so, how?

yes, ssh + sshfs

you are using the cloud right now

If you want something easier to use...Syncthing or Syncany. If you want something comprehensive and have a place to store the files too, Nextcloud is a better fork of owncloud. There are lots of Dropbox alternatives but these are some good Foss ones.

any tootorial that you know on how to do this?

aight ill just google

I just use my laptop for everything.

share what you find

these

Unless your owncloud of whatever you use to sync files is on another physical location other than where you live, just use dropbox for fucks sake

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilio_Sync (not sure if open source)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncthing

Checked.

usb thumbsticks and carrier pidgeon.

This m8

Honestly you'll probably have a better experience if you just spend the like $10 for a little media center remote/keyboard and mouse.

Just use/make a NAS

doubletrips speaks the truth

Speaking of which, do I need a dedicated name server if I want to resolve multiple linux machines in the same network?

RSYNC

Try mdns

lol this
fucking autism posters here holy shit

what's the easiest way to transfer files between android and windows without a cable

Bluetooth if you got it
Shared folder if you don't

>Being this retarded

It's nice that they give you computer time in the mentally handicapped home.

>Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync) by Resilio, Inc. is a proprietary peer-to-peer file synchronization tool

Holy fuck did you even read what you linked. Why is the reading comprehension so low on this board?

> Do you guys just do cron jobs plus ssh/ftp?
Depends on what you want.
- Backup: rsync, scp, tar, bareos.
- Cloud: owncloud, maybe IPFS or something else.
- Highload: GlusterFS, Ceph, lsyncd.

I set up an owncloud server and connected to it with my phone and my laptop.
I spent about an hour to set it up and then I update it once in a while and it is more expensive than a dropbox account, but it also handles calendar and contacts so I could ditch the google apps on my android phone.
The thing spiraled a bit out of control, but that is more on me than owncloud.