Lack of standards in the desktop computing market

So now that I've just gotten a six figure salary as a software engineer I'm finally getting into the desktop PC market and I really must say:

Who the fuck thought this shit up?

This market is a clusterfuck. There are no standards. There is no objective way of measuring performance. It is full of buzzwords like "gaming" and "performance and even the supposed 'experts' cannot give you decent recommendations. What is difference between a "regular" graphics card and a "gaming" graphics card? Don't they both just push fucktons of parallel floating point ops? Are their dedicated chips for rendering 3d boobs or fucking what is it? Why are there no standards for CPU sockets? Why do I have to consider where physically on the board the socket is before I can make a decision on a case?

How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision here? Picking parts for a build is literally a multivariate system of equations and as far as I can tell people make decisions purely on gut feelings, brand identity, advertising and their limited budgets, but money is no object and I want the best frigging box money can buy in a given form factor.

For instance I want to buy the fuckin Vega Frontier card but guess what? I don't know if it will fit in my case BECAUSE THE FUCKING SIZE ISN'T EVEN ON THE WEBSITE

pro.radeon.com/en-us/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/

DO YOU SEE THIS SHIT? HOW FUCKING LONG IS IT?

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

images.idgesg.net/images/article/2017/06/dsc07736-100727060-large.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>t. never owned high end hardware before

yeah dude that was literally in the first sentence, I was fucking poor as dicks and now I'm super rich and want to build a pc

it was in the first sentence

learn how to read you fucking idiot

Can't you judge the size by the standard connections in the image or are you retarded?

Then get used to buying shit for a said purpose.
You can't expect anything that contains microscopic components to ever fit to a single standard.
>Don't know if it will fit in my case
That's what you get for being a retard that bought a micro ATX. They're computers. Not a fashion statement.

So get a different case?

notice that nobody has been able to tell OP how long the card is

A little over 2-1/4 pci-e x16 connectors long

Because it's not that long... You can see the connection. Surely you can extrapolate its length from that to reasonable accuracy.

Standards and practices?
What are - standards and practices?

>There is no objective way of measuring performance.
Yes there is, you look up benchmarks for your particular use case. Anything else will necessarily be a vague measure that isn't really useful to anybody. If I average the results of a machine learning benchmark, a gaming benchmark and a productivity benchmark, all I've created is a benchmark that's useless to everyone, not one that's useful for all.

>What is difference between a "regular" graphics card and a "gaming" graphics card?
Branding and a general tendency to be able to do more.

>Are their dedicated chips for rendering 3d boobs or fucking what is it?
No.

>Why are there no standards for CPU sockets?
There are, they're just not shared by different manufacturers.

>Why do I have to consider where physically on the board the socket is before I can make a decision on a case?
..What? Outside of server boards I'm not aware of any situation where this matters. I've certainly never had to consider it.

>How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision here?
You weed out shit you don't want or that doesn't fit in your budget, then you look at case specific benchmarks of what's left. If you don't have a budget you just buy the best of everything for your use case.

>DO YOU SEE THIS SHIT? HOW FUCKING LONG IS IT?
Quite long.

Vega hasn't been released yet.

Specs -- including physical dimensions -- will come after release.

This is not complicated.

wow what a dumbass

ITXlet, when will they learn?

>software engineer
>can't do basic logic solving
Nice bullshit story my dude

Performance measurements are meaningless. The variation in software and hardware installed on customer computers is enough to invalidate any conclusions.

Computers are not retro consoles where the only thing running is the game itself with full control of the hardware, which by the way used to be a lot simpler and more predictable back then. Even simple to understand processor features like pipelining and branch prediction cause absurd effects on engineer's ability to predict performance.

>HOW FUCKING LONG IS IT?
Far longer than your micropenis. Also, Sup Forums, I'm disappoint that it took this long for this to be posted.

...This is the frontier edition, so yes it has.

Six figure software engineer who doesn't know fuck all about basic computing or how access the specification tab of a product... Says all you need know about the standards of modern engineers.If you're just knowing learning about desktop pc's, you've got a lot to learn and catch up on. Stop being a lazy ass and dedicate 5min to basic research.

The video card pictured in OP is a high end work station card.
It consumes a lot of power and puts off lots of heat.
People tend not to cram such cards into tight ass aesthetic mini cases.
Furthermore, someone like you whose new to computing tends not to purchase said hardware. Figures you're looking at pricey hardware without knowing shit about it. Likely only going to be using it to look up render 3d boobs and browse the web. The card is long but such cards fit into standard mid/full/cube cases conforming to the ATX specification. There are standards in PCs. Lots of them.

Stop making dumbass threads like this and spend more time learning about the basics of computer. Six figure software engineer = silly arse normies who know how to call api's from bloated libraries who don't know fuck all about computing.

*Ordering a $1,000 fucking Vega FE workstation card for gaming..
Cause just got shekels.

You'd be surprised at the type of shit tier software engineers that have been made possible by the age of Libraries/high level languages and web app mania. Luckily, it's nearing the end of this cycle.

>So now that I've just gotten a six figure salary as a software engineer I'm finally getting into the desktop PC market
>Who the fuck thought this shit up?
Is this what happens to normies who pick a degree for salary instead of something that interests them?

You are borderline retarded, OP...

You're literally looking at just about only the 'buzz words' of computer hardware, and letting everything get to your head that's your problem. Stop trying to build the 'best computer ever' and build something higher end / good and you can upgrade from there

>There is no objective way of measuring performance.
Just about every component has some sort of benchmark and comparison online. Sockets will change as tech gets newer... Look at the cpu you want, then see what socket is, and find a mobo that has what you want (color, bunch of USB's, bunch of internal headers, SLI / crossfire capability, wifi built in, M.2 capability... etc)

>What is difference between a "regular" graphics card and a "gaming" graphics card?
Faster and more capable card. If your looking at anything nvidia, look at the 'tenth' digit, anything 0-4 is a general video / rendering card. anything 5-9 is considered gaming, easy as that. The hundredth digit / thousandth is the generation, so we are on the 10th generation currently of nvidia cards The higher the number, the faster and more capable the card will be.

>Why do I have to consider where physically on the board the socket is before I can make a decision on a case?
Position makes fuck all difference, only thing that may effect it is if you are doing a big ass air cooler, and the ram might get covered up / blocked if you are doing large ram with heatsinks, or if you plan on doing a RAM cooler

High end video cards are BIG, that card you want is probably at least 12 inches long... Thats why most higher end / gamer cases are large. as long as your not going for a mini case or doing a mini itx build, the MASS MAJORITY will work just fine.

If you plan on doing a liquid cooler for your cpu, you'll probably want a larger case to begin with, or a lot of corsair cases are certified to work with their own cards

If you have questions.. Ask! call a local computer store (not fucking best buy) or ask Sup Forums and someone will help

Also why the fuck are you spending a grand on a fucking video card for your first computer? Just get a 1070 or 1080 and be happy

Fuck that buy a 2p (two socket) server (a computer) mobo (motherboard) that supports skylake X (the latest chip)

Make sure its the most expensive. It should be around 18 cores and cost around $4000

THIS IS OP REPLYING TO ALL OF (You)

i write embedded C for hashing ASIC's, I'm under 25 and my formal education ended with a high school diploma, i dont disagree i'm stupid, C is simple and im too stupid to do webapps

thanks for this helpful and informative response

frontier

i cant rely on benchmarks so i rely on price instead, i want an aesthetic mini case because they look sexy on my desk and i'm not going to stare at a fucking ugly piece of compute all day on the weekends

Awesome, thanks for all the info, I'll get a different card. I'm not looking at Nvidia because of their inability to release quality Linux drivers. I am going for a mini itx case because they look cool

nividia linux drivers

i already have blades on my home rack, I want a desktop

>i cant rely on benchmarks so i rely on price instead,
I sincerely hope you're joking. Vega FE runs like shit for gaming and general purpose compute because it's not a card suited for that application. A 1070 runs better than a Vega FE. You really seem to want to blow cash. Vega RX comes out at the end of the month. It's the consumer version. Not to mention the 300+ watts this card pulls. Yet you're trying to shove it into a mini-itx. Pro-tip : Performance vs. aesthetics.. There's a trade-off.

>i want an aesthetic mini case because they look sexy on my desk and i'm not going to stare at a fucking ugly piece of compute all day on the weekends

Let me know if you want linkage to some aesthetically pleasing nicely sized cases and what your budge is.

> i write embedded C for hashing ASIC's, I'm under 25 and my formal education ended with a high school diploma, i dont disagree i'm stupid, C is simple and im too stupid to do webapps
Welcome to the embedded systems world. Most people know about basic pc specs as you look at them all day in your line of work.

bout 9.25"

Google search "Vega FE dimensions"

> The Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (top) is roughly the same physical dimensions as an Nvidia Titan Xp.
Confirmed :
images.idgesg.net/images/article/2017/06/dsc07736-100727060-large.jpg

Titan XP dimensions :
Product Dimensions 12.9 x 6.9 x 3.7 inches
Item Dimensions L x W x H 12.9 x 6.9 x 3.7 inches

Full sized GPUs are intended for full size cases and thus rarely need mention of their dimensions...
If you want performance, you typically don't shove these kind of cards into mini-itx cases. These cards pull a lot of juice and throttle clocks if they get too hot. So, it's not the most intelligent combo (beefy full sized graphics card in cramped space).

On the surface there looks like a LOT to a build.. There really are a gazillion options to go with... run a small computer store, and at least with my store, we are happy to answer questions and educate people looking to build, or we'll assemble your build for you if you aren't sure what your doing... Check with your local small pc stores, and if they're anything like mine, they should be able to give you a relatively straight answer.

If you want a good system and money isn't necessarily an issue, go after a current gen or previous gen i7, or i5, 8 to 16gb memory (DDR4 with new cpus), an ASUS, gigabyte, or MSI are typically good mobos get a decent sized SSD, Cruical and Western Digital I like, a DVD / bluray burner, typically doesn't matter what brand, they're just about all the same. I spend about 15-20 bucks on DVD burners usually... Get a decent sized case, like the Corsair C70, Corsair Carbide 300r, Coolermaster masterbox 5, corsair graphite 760t... Bigger can be better in this case (pun intended)... that way you have room to install, move your hands around, and expand. If your not going to be moving it constantly then even better. If you get a liquid cooler, make SURE you have room. as I said, the higher end corsair cases are 'certified' to hold their liquid coolers which can have a large ass radiator.
Just make sure your not buying a FULL ATX motherboard and a case that doesn't accept FULL ATX. micro ATX (mATX) cases typically only has 4 expansion ports below the io plate.

get a good quality PSU, cables on the cheap ones may not reach don't go for less than 500 watts, the nicer better quality ones will usually have longer cables.

Stick with Corsair, EVGA, or thermaltake, typically the best brands. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE POWER SUPPLY like ULTRA, or RAIDMAX...

As for video card, get what you want. If you picked a higher end PSU, you'll have the pci-e plugs for a PSU, and it'll be large enough to hold whatever graphics card you choose.

>Lack of standards in the desktop computing market

Fuccboi, you will not find a thing with more standards than your typical desktop PC. Get the fuck outta here.

"I know software so I must know hardware" : The Thread

>Six figure software guy
>can't even browse Sup Forums for a few minutes find some currently memed hardware and read a few reviews

You dun fucked up guy

>software 'engineer'
>doesn't understand the intricacies of hardware
>more tech illiterate than a Sup Forumstard

>six figure software guy
>thinks he's some special snowflake
at least having a clue about hardware is part of my job

>money is no object
Balls to the wall computers usually cost 15-30k,and they're usual dual xeon builds with 48 threads. Also, you're looking at the wrong card for an all out build. I have an Intel gpu on Linux, and the drivers are fine. Get a quadro if money is truly no object. Also, look into the Xeon phi, and nvidia tesla. If you just want number crunching, look at the dell blade 10u server (Costs over $200/m in electricity) and ditch that matx idea, cause it's not compatible with what you're talking about.

Sorry, I have an nvidia card, not intel

>>Why do I have to consider where physically on the board the socket is before I can make a decision on a case?
>..What? Outside of server boards I'm not aware of any situation where this matters. I've certainly never had to consider it.
BTX exists. ;_;

We have a PC building general for this, dumbfuck.

Yes, it is multivariate, and yes, it does take time to get a handle on the performance in various workloads, the wattage in doing so, cooling solutions, noise, reliability, price, and form factor. No one person even has everything down because we don't have experience with every piece of hardware. For example I've had three XFX video cards -- a 6770, 7850, and RX 480 -- and all were hot and loud. I have a MSI GTX 970 with great temps and it's practically silent. A MSI 7870 that gets warm but it's not bad for noise. Does this mean all XFX's suck and MSI's are good? I don't know. It's why we have to base some things on user reviews, and even those aren't always reliable because idiots generally give good ratings to anything that works. (A:10/V:10 another great YIFY release!) So even those of us who can craft a nearly perfect build do end up having to make one or two educated guesses.

Your best bet is to do some research and hang out in a tech forum that does PC builds, watch what they're suggesting, and ask why they're suggesting it. Do so with some humility, since the points you think you've stumbled upon in your research will usually not be painting the whole picture, and the people suggesting builds know more than you do about these things. ("Wow, look at the prices on these FX chips! 8 cores, great multithreaded performace, for next to nothing! Why isn't everyone jumping on these? I'm the smaerterist for figuring this out!" [They're not suggested because they have gimped single-threaded which is generally far more important, their mobos are ancient, and they're housefires to boot.])

>For instance I want to buy the fuckin Vega Frontier card but guess what? I don't know if it will fit in my case BECAUSE THE FUCKING SIZE ISN'T EVEN ON THE WEBSITE
It's the exact same size as a TITAN XP SP2, dumbass. Maybe do some research before you whine about pointless bullshit.

Can't someone else do it?

Do what?
If you want a build go into the PC build general, post your budget and use, and get a build.