BRAVO EUROPE

itworld.com/article/3204668/consumer-electronics/eu-lawmakers-call-for-a-right-to-repair-electronic-equipment.html

>Electronic devices should be robust and easily repairable -- and laws should encourage or enforce this, members of the European Parliament said Tuesday.

>They want to end the planned obsolescence of consumer electronics devices and software -- which are often also used as business tools thanks to the consumerization of IT.

Opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

europe-consommateurs.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/eu-consommateurs/PDFs/PDF_EN/REPORT-_GUARANTEE/tableau_EN_Legal_commercial.pdf
sanoma.com/en/news/european-wide-survey-ipad-most-popular-internet-device-home
support.apple.com/repair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh nice

Solid step in the right direction.

another excuse for higher prices in europe
well done eurofucks

Good.

nobody cares. You pay good you should get good stuff more over this should apply to apple or all places.

it also stops or slows down automation take overs too.
fuck your wallet.

>Electronic devices should be robust
No shit Sherlock? No one will buy it if it's not robust. Free market fixes itself.

>easily repairable
Yeah let's see you fix that CPU

Autism

Some bureaucrat in Brussels probably cracked his macbook screen and got mad when he found out he has to pay 600 to repair it

Any minute now your health and education system will fix itself

>>Electronic devices should be robust
>No shit Sherlock? No one will buy it if it's not robust. Free market fixes itself.
Then why do people keep buying shit that breaks easily ?

>>easily repairable
>Yeah let's see you fix that CPU
The whole is what should be easily repairable. A CPU is a part of that whole. What it means is that the CPU should be easily replaceable if need be.
As a comparison, there are lots of parts in a car that you replace if they break, rather than repairing those individual parts. But instead of throwing the entire car away, you replace the broken part to repair the car.

>inb4 burger argues against this

After we repeal Obamacare, yep.

>Then why do people keep buying shit that breaks easily ?
Why don't you launch an alternative that doesn't break easily? Nobody's stop you from doing so.

>They want to end the planned obsolescence of consumer electronics devices and software

If this is enforced by law shit will change dramatically for the better.

And yes, you can prove planned obsolesce in many cases, also no one would want to risk a lawsuit.

Shit decision desu
If a company wants to sell products you can't repair, let them do it. A free market would solve this problem but autists insist that the government must interfere

you shoot the children so there is less strain on the education system and they wont grow old to tax the healthcare system.

free market figured it out

There are people on Sup Forums who unironacilly argue against this

What has rhis board become?

Oh yeah, just lack of capitals, knowledge, skills, factory, etc.
Launching an alternative to a high tech product isn't just something you can do as going in the street and sell lemonade.

This gentleman is correct. Our problem is that we have Marxist-Keynesian planning which precludes free market to work.

Americans were always like this, brainwashed against their own interests, taught that if you have a lot of money you can't do wrong.

I mean I even like most of the libertarian shit but murricans are disgusting regarding the lengths they will go to protect brands and companies.

Any minute now you'll be replaced by "refugees" because you can't have guns.

are you poor? stay away from apple products please
they're probably americunts, they mostly use apple and want to defend it naturally. iOS is the second most used OS there
this.

>[citation needed]
The market is moving in exactly the opposite direction in most areas concerning technology. And it doesn't have to be drastic interference. Just forcing sellers to mark the product, similarly to how it's done with power consumption for washing machines and shit would be a step in positive direction.

>Free market fixes itself
Ahahahaa yeah go buy more juicero you corporate cuck

>Free market fixes itself.
american mental gymnastics are hilarious.

inb4 buttstinged murricans defending their corporations "rights and R&D labor"

I never understood the American with treating corporations like they have human rights or something.

*American obsession

lol just says the have to supply spares for x time at a reasonable price for it's age at the time so you can go to independent repairers.

all you're gonna get is a new main board for $450 or something

not going to happen while jews are still around jewing the world

Burger living in UK here
I support this

Why would you want to repair your car? Just take it to your dealer

>poorfags fixing their own car
kek

easily repairable
Lul
Please repaire my GPU

As opposed to JewSA, where some bureaucrat breaks his macbook but its okay because he just got another one for free from Apple for helping the dogde taxes.

oh yeah i forgot i have all the ecu code and any key codes to make my own keys too

oh wait....

Laptop Fans should be standardized and easily replaced.
Lithium Batteries sizes should be standardized with standard plug in connectors. It's like the 19th century all over again right now.
Power cables should have been standardize but now we're stuck with the pseudostandard of USB charging.

This mostly targets the phones

i can understand the independent repairer thing kinda, could be a bit dodge

but forcing companies to have spares for x years and then sell them at fair deprecation for the components is retarded.

phones will just get even more expensive. Now they gotta keep some board spare and then in 3 years they have to sell it cheap cus its 3 years old

it's probably cheaper for the company to give you a new phone or mid range phone but that law want's to stop this

Speaking from experience GPUs generally don't suffer from planned obsolescence.

Mid range Samsung TVs for example usually stop working just after the warranty runs out, if someone proves this is planned they will be fined in EU.

>Opinions?
OP gay

This won't change anything to Surface & Macbook, they are hard to repair because of how they are built to be smaller and slimmer.

This forces companies to build them more robustly so they do not have to keep that many spares.

Prices will surely go up but this guarantees a better product.

Yeah, I'll take 1mm more thickness for actual screws instead of gum and the ability to fucking fix the damn thing, change the RAM assuming it has sodimm slots, m2 slot, wireless card, clean it up, paste, etc etc,

>5 year legal guarantee master race

europe-consommateurs.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/eu-consommateurs/PDFs/PDF_EN/REPORT-_GUARANTEE/tableau_EN_Legal_commercial.pdf

Can we rejoin the EU please?

t.brit

you honestly think they make those complex circuit boards with something planned to die perfectly out of warranty?

nothing is going to change except we're all subsidizing the spares

>thinks it will be 1mm

just the ram slots alone, let alone 2 would be a shitload these days

you're forgetting how thick and heavy laptops used to be

oh wait you probably have a dogshit ancient thinkpad you paid $650 for and reckon it's a top deal

Dude, I don't care for 200grams of fucking weight if my entire machine is different, fuck off wristlet

It's not magic retard, companies can just install a capacitor that blows after a specific time and make it hard to self repair your shit on purpose.

Also this was just an example, planned obsolescence IS a thing and if a company doesn't want to be fined they will have to build more robustly.

yeah 200g is all that's changed in the last 10 years of laptops.

>2009 xps

>GPUs generally don't suffer from planned obsolescence.
Drivers do

MACTODDLERS

PERPETUALLY

CONTINUALLY

CONSTANTLY

INCESSANTLY

EVERLASTINGLY

UNREMITTINGLY

INTERMINABLY

PERMANENTLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

Okay. lets make this simple for the resident idiot.

You want 1kg of useless throttling hardware.
I'm fine with 2kg of useful hardware.

Simple, right?

>buying dodgy caps
>have to assume the dodgy cap lifespan is correct so it dies outside of warranty
>implying 1 cap is hard to change

Phones will get more expensive but they'll last more than 6 months

It's a tradeoff between buying junk that dies for cheap and buying stuff that isn't self-destructing garbage.

Don't respond to retards, it's not like the new Thinkpads are that fat for example and they have mostly replaceable parts, including ram slots.

2kg laptops are NOT portable

>he thinks it's 2kg

lmao

>you will never have a thick laptop

Ok then, are you trying to argue that planned obsolescence is not a thing?

Or do you just like to post retarded shit?

So the 2015 MBP is not portable? Good joke, also try using that hand for something, masturbating should improve your wrist strength.

you can always tell that the americans haven't woken up yet because threads like this aren't filled with burger-gorging HFS-chugging amerifats spamming the thread with "LOOOOL EUROKEKS MUH FREE MARKETS CHEAPER = BETTER ALWAYS I LOVE BEING KEKED BY THE CORPO-GOVERNMENT UNION"

just because they don't make everything removable and sold individually doesn't mean they planned for it to die

feel free to post that evidence because it's such a common thing

Not thick enough.

Any minute now, your government will not give you back , your dying child to your dying child to even cremate.

extra T H I C C

You're not very clear with your post and you did not answer my question.

Are you arguing that there is no such thing as planned obsolescence?

Portable racks?

Fucking FINALLY!!

THIS IS AMAZING!

YESSSS

Americans hate:
>freedom
>longer warranty
>healthcare
>anti monopoly laws
>laws that help the citizen
it's no wonder they hate this

>Free market fixes itself.
>people actually believe this while throwing their macbooks in the dumpster after two years

retard alert

>you need to install our new OS!
>your device which was amazing last year now suddenly is a slow, laggy, unstable mess
>buy a new one!

>he thinks Apple is going to make thiccer and bigger Macbook for the sake of them being easier to repair
LMAO!!!!!

You can't market those without losing on your bottom line, so Americans are allergic to them

You can market burgers though.

Keep dodging the question faggot

Companies are launching them but they don't gain popularity because Apple has a massive brand name backing them.

Not reliability, or service, brand name.

This

I smell burgers

Are you stupid? Why would you buy some phone that dies in 6 months? Given the massive growth in smartphone industry, there are tons of alternative for every shit phone you buy.

shills will pretend this only applies to IT but it also applies to dishwasher parts and fridgerators and A/Cs

this forces the companies to provide parts or refer to a supplier if you ever need to repair a product you bought

this also makes it so you can go to a 3rd party repair man for way cheaper and be supplied parts from the manufacturer

all the shills are apple fags who want to pay 3x the price for repairs and inflated hardware that is just a intel chipset with soldered components

If you don't like it you can start a smartphone company yourself. Surely it can beat Apple since they fuck over their consumers right?

this doesn't really change anything for the companies, they just have to let any old shop repair it so they can't have a monopoly on repairs with authorised shit

also you will just be paying for the spares anyway

>he thinks such a big company as APPLE is going to change anything to their big seller things because of eurocucks
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
SMALLER
THINNER
LIGHTER
people like that and it's not likely to change.

They will have to lose EU's market then eventually.

No, even europoors buy thems sanoma.com/en/news/european-wide-survey-ipad-most-popular-internet-device-home

>3x the price

what

apple just replaces the phone for $299-349 depending on the model.

Is some random repair shop going to replace an iphone for $100-180

i love how americans love to gush over "muh freedumz" for corporations because "the free market will solve everything" when it consistently proves over and over again that it always ends up the same: shitty products that are designed specifically to be unrepairable and planned to be obsolete in as short a time as possible.

i honestly don't even know how they can chortle back that "if the product is bad then people won't buy it" because the absolutely miserable state of their bottom-line throwaway consumerist culture completely and eterneally shatters this flimsy argument.

you could be the absolute most rational consumer in the world, but it doesn't matter when there are millions upon millions of idiotic consumers, for whom the lifetime of a product never even once crosses their mind. they keep being the same cheap garbage over and over again and never even think that anything is wrong with it. where is the "american innovation" here? why are the children being distanced from their machines, being taught that they must depend on their masters to fix their toys? and that they will just have to buy a new one when master insists that the toy is broken?

it's so absolutely ironic that the core values for which america thinks they stand are always defended most strongly in europe, while the americas are too busy jerking off to flags, fireworks and guns to even notice. i think this is why their shadow media pushed the "europe is so cucked" agenda - they can't allow their population to realize they are the ones getting really cucked every single day of their lives.

It doesn't matter if we like a product being thin, in order for Apple to sell it in EU it has to follow the EU's laws or risk paying fines and eventually being taken off the market completely.

America could wipe Europoors off the face of the planet in days if it damn well wishes to

lol retard it doesn't have to be thick they just have to let others repair it and sell spares.

apple will gladly sell you a whole new mainboard to any repairer for $799 or some shit

this shit already happens with washing machines, you think they solder shit for you no the guy replaces a whole control board for $250+

You couldn't even beat a bunch of farmers kek

until then we will enjoy our €20 1000/1000 Mbit/s with no data caps

>my dad is stronger than your dad
this ain't kindergarten kid

Go back to playing with your Barbie doll, Johnny.

>hurr durr we got da nooks

typical american rebuttal - knows he is completely wrong, can only respond by apish chest-beating and posturing.

Europe loves:
>unelected commissions
>communism
>rapefugees
>AIDS infected niggers
>50million dollar fine for inciting ""hate"" of the "wrong" groups and ideas
>giving welfare to terrorists in the middle east
>letting those terrorists back in after they become experienced jihadis
>not tracking those experienced terrorists once back in
>letting military weapons be stolen by terrorists
>pants on head retarded regulations like
>>lead free electronic solder that is more hazardous (due to its flux) than lead solder and fails like crazy
>>protecting fish by increasing the amount of them being killed but wasting them by being thrown back
>>"consumer protections" like suing google for making google maps the 1st result of googling "maps"

>Using violence as an argument for superiority

Real intelligent people in burger land

support.apple.com/repair
Lurk more, this won't change anything

forgot my pic, come at me cucks