Do you think the average user these days, even the average teenager...

Do you think the average user these days, even the average teenager, could deal with not-so-complicated shit like burning a disc, as was very very usual years ago?

Supposedly "kids these days" are better with technology, but it only has gotten progressively easier. There's plenty of users here now in their 20s meaning they didn't deal with bullshit like teens did in the 90s or in the 80s, nor did they grow up in the current meme era of the Internet (someone who was 10 in 2012 is now a teenager).

It's already unacceptable to have a program (ahem, app) with an interface developed for desktop use (not mobile use), memesters in every tech website would have a heart attack to deal with stuff like:

Write-once/rewritable media, -R or +R, booktype, overburning, ISO 9660 and UDF, SAO, DAO, TAO, PTP and OTP on DL media, etc.

It would all be deemed unacceptable.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

80's and 90's kids are way better of with general technological knowledge then 00's kids are

Beyond that, who even has a Computer Disc unit anymore? I think my brother's computer used to have one before he upgraded it and threw it away, but I have never seen a Computer Disc being used in a computer; sounds like a horrible idea because you need special hardware, no wonder it became obsolete.

Of course, that's the point.

Younger generations are always better with new technology then older ones. Don't fall the "the new generation is fucked" meme. It's always the same.
Burning a disk is not a task that needs a brain. I could do it in sleep. Don't be a fucking retard OP.

I do. CD-R/DVD-R/DVD-HD/Blu Ray combo drive.
Also have a USB floppy that supports DD and HD.

It doesn't require special hardware, it functions on the SATA protocol. Same like modern hard drives and SSDs.

Being “good with technology” just means knowing how to navigate program interfaces nowadays.

So much this. The kids are not retarded and they could learn burning CDs and all that if they wanted to. They just don't have to.

Just like OP and his CD-burning """skills""" desu.

is that like a round saving icon?

CD meant Compact Disk, though. Was usually spelled with a C at the end, too, at least on the ones I had in my childhood.
Normalfags my age and below are absolutely hopeless with technology other than the browser.

t. year of birth 98

The only thing that my 13 years old sister can do is constantly uploading her selfies to Instagram or god knows where. She was unable to understand how file extensions or directories work. But my parents still call her a techie for having her hand glued to the cellphone.

Tfw still burning CDs. To lazy two mod my head unit.

I still use CD unit from time to time. I have a bunch of old classic games that I loved back in the old days.

btw I'm 24

>98
Sad

>Do you think the average user these days, even the average teenager, could deal with not-so-complicated shit like burning a disc, as was very very usual years ago?

No, because you couldn't do it from a smartphone app.

MODS

> Normalfags my age and below are absolutely hopeless with technology other than the browser.

Oh I know this all too well. My company did work experience with a local college and we had a teenager who thought he was hot shit and delighted in telling us how easy it was for him to set up his apple router and how he doesn't know how people see IT as work at all.

So we had him sit and read basic juniper router commands for an hour with a test interface, then afterwards asked him to figure out how a user in office A connects to the fileserver in office B using the network map on the wall and that he was free to google anything he didn't understand.

The next question would have been "now figure out how we can reduce the latency" but he literally couldn't even follow the trace points on a map. after an hour of watching him he stood up and said "this is bullshit, why are you doing it the old way? You could just use wifi or 4g".

We made sure we didn't ask him anything we didn't know or couldn't figure out when we were 16.

Fuck kids.

There's no way you aren't underage.

An average teenager is probably not used to using optical media at all or perhaps only used to insert a DVD/BluRay-disc into a player. The idea of burning a disc is probably completely unknown to them.

I hear you mate. Just what the hell happened. However, I do have to admit that I'm a useless cunt when it comes to floppies and writing images to them and configurating routers.
The only way I can learn is to do things. The harder, the better which is why I also tested my ability to install gentoo, which I successfully did.
t.98

wow a 13 year old isn't Professor Einstein
Good spot retard

Post her insta.

>Younger generations are always better with new technology then older ones.
I say that's not the case.

>Don't fall the "the new generation is fucked" meme.
I never said that.

>Burning a disk is not a task that needs a brain. I could do it in sleep. Don't be a fucking retard OP.
I didn't say it was hard, and it's in fact unrelated to what I said, so YOU don't be a retard and learn to read.

I'm not saying they couldn't.

I also remember when normalfags knew the goddamned difference between "to", "too", and "two". These kids today...

I joined the IT workforce in an era when you needed to know how to work with sequential media and work with tools like mt(1), and in those days I always had the PDP-11fags telling me how easy I had it because punch cards and paper tape.

They were right, of course, but I like to think the skills I learned in the 1980s and 1990s were more durable: sequential media is still very common in the enterprise, and I can't imagine using Linux at my desktop without a solid understanding of the shell, the standard shell utils, networking, etc.

But a big difference is that I had to learn on very expensive UNIX equipment, and Internet access was a pretty big deal, mostly available only on big corporate environments or universities. 10 years later, Linux was born, requiring only a PC and a willingness to learn and expend effort.

Now you can pick up a Pi Zero or B3 for $whatever and install it in 5 minutes and learn shit effortlessly, or spin up a VM in seconds.

It's all so easily accessible for those who want to learn.

dd bs=4M of=thing if=/dev/sdx

It's about necessity.

It's no longer necessary to learn complicated shit to just use a computer in the first place.

It only matters to enthusiasts then. So the myth that the average normie nowadays is more knowledgeable is absolute horseshit.

I did Linux from scratch when I was 7, never though anything weird about that

This is going into the books user

>being better with technology
>knowing by heart all the pointless intricacies of creating a half-dead storage media
Autistic thread.

Any normalfags are useless with technology anyway. There's no point pinning it only on gen z.
T. 99

Bump, faggot.

>I don't even understand what the OP wrote
Mentally challenged reply.

you think so but technology is setting them up for failure. no generation in history ever grew up with social media. just wait until they hit their 30s and become depressed from seeing all of the pics and life events from their youth plastered on all sorts of social media platforms that makes it impossible to get rid of. the real world is going to be too much for them to stomach watching their youthful looks fade away

>my argument has been exposed for the retardation that it is
>u just dun understan plenb haha!
Go away.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
every oldfag in this thread BTFO
I'm going to be laughing when you are all on your deathbed grumbling about muh millennials and I'm still yound and spry. I'm 22 btw

What merit there is to an off-topic reply, you shitcunt?

If the retard can't even COMPREHEND what was written, what is there to discuss? In what way was anything exposed? Learn to read you too dumbass.

What does this have to do with the thread?

It's literally OP's shitty point condensed in two lines of greentext.
>If the retard can't even COMPREHEND what was written, what is there to discuss?
Yes, it was foolish of me to reply to an imbecile. Carry on.

I'm the OP.

If you think that the subject of this thread is in ANY WAY RELATED to recording optical discs, you have NOT understood what was written.

It is not even tangentially related to the point. IT IS WRITTEN VERY CLEARLY AND EASILY, your lack of comprehension is NOT the fault of how I wrote it.

I know your older generation brain might have some trouble with the information presented in the article, but just take it slow and you should get it. What I, and the article, are saying is that while you (previous generations) cling to obsolete technologies and paradigms of thought, the new generation forges ahead with more intelligently designed technologies while you are left behind, inspiring you to post threads on Sup Forums about how stupid and spoonfed this new generation is. But both of us know whats really happening: you are confused and afraid because the new generation is objectively more intelligent and capable than yours. This thread isn't about CDs being obsolete, its about you, and all of your generation, being obsolete. The same will happen to me when the next generation matures.

>tfw I realized millennium babbies are probably already a huge part of the user base of Sup Forums already

reminder that unless you are 35+ years old you are a millennial

>I'm the OP.
As if anyone thought that someone else could be this stubbornly assmad about this.
>could deal with not-so-complicated shit like burning a disc
>Write-once/rewritable media, -R or +R, booktype, overburning, ISO 9660 and UDF, SAO, DAO, TAO, PTP and OTP on DL media, etc.
>this is not about recording optical discs
Just stop already, autismo. Your example is shit. Knowing exact write modes and file systems used on a particular media type has nothing to do with "being better with technology". Your post belongs on 9gag, not on Sup Forums.

What's with this "oh, kids could learn it anyways"

Yeah we know, kids could learn it anyways a hundred years ago. That doesn't mean they have to. If they don't have to, they won't do it. OP's point is that they don't go through that because it's not a necessity, therefore they don't really learn it. Not about it being hard to learn. Unless you shelter your kid enough that he only has a dreamcast and has to figure out how the fuck to burn games for it, that kid's not gonna bother.

And this is more of a general thing. Tech illiteracy might rise because if a poor-ish kid (that still manages to have a console or smartphone) wants free games all he has to do these days is download files from the internet, or there's a fucking store for it already. Same with doing tasks related to tablets now. You can be sure they can learn any kind of crap but it's all situational unless you set these arbitrary goals.

Will they be called boomers2? millennium boomers? meme millennials? meme boomers? y2k meme babbies

>I know your older generation
>22 year old talking to a 21 year old

Umm. Has anyone told you that millennials are born from 1980 to 1995? A generation is 15 years.

You were SO keen on bringing this meme that you went full retard and didn't realize the difference between millennium babies and millennials.

Well done, champ.

Gen z works.

Forgot to take the name off. No actual bump was done.

Nice try grandads

>I don gettit but I xDD trohld u

I'm kind of jelly for anyone owns the best SCSI burners by Plextor. Pleb like mine keeps only IDE drives.

he was referring to the people who were the result of the idiotic y2k meme race where people tried to time the birth of their babby right on jan 1st 2000.
Sup Forums has probably already lots of those who were born around that date.

You're barely 3 years younger than me friend. And your post is just stupid. What's the basis for what you're saying? And why did you come up with that in this thread? At what point did you come into anything that made you write that?

It was elicited as an example to the subject of the thread, which is how noticeably different the standards of usability have gotten, and how this negates the notion that an average young user is inherently more skillful and knowledgeable than an average user from just a few years ago.

By the way, your unintelligent off-topic posts would be more tolerable without the meme insults.

Not my line of work, but I've heard the average CS chap these days is even less skilled than those from years ago. The complaint was that they are largely trained to be not just code monkeys, but less skilled code monkeys who just cares about making mobile apps.

>yfw you realize people born in 98 are 18-19 years old now

>Yfw you realise that half the people born in 99 are old enough to be here

Just give them daily dose of "install gentoo" and "get thinkpad" and it will be alright.

Of course things get easier and if you're stuck, just ask Cortana.

>we had a teenager who thought he was hot shit
Podesta pls

>an example
And I'm telling you for the third time that it's completely irrelevant. Nobody ""needed"" to know all the technical details of burning process to burn a CD - 99% of ordinary users used default Nero settings and were done with it, while autists like you "collected technical knowledge". Just like today most people use their smartphones as they come and complain about "laggy Samsung OS", while millions of nerds root and reflash ROMs with kernel settings "just the way they like it". Your "example" has nothing to do with reality.

No. They suck. I worked for a MAJOR cell company that I won't mention where we dealt with these dummies. You would get a 20 yr old asking why their cell isn't coming on. You would ask when the last time they charged it and would get shit like this. "Charge it? I thought this battery lasts two years! Why do I have to charge it? That's so fucking stupid!"

Kids these days are only good at operating smart phone applications that the previous generation built for them. It's a generation of tech illiterate users. Just look at Sup Forums, it's literally amd/intel, amd/Nvidia, and Android/Apple all day every day, bitching about consumer tech.

>You have to have genius level IQ to understand file extensions

kay why ess

Exactly. They can operate apps but God forbid they need to replace a motherboard or even worse, change a tire. People are mistaking quick tasking as actual thinking. Give one of these m-er f-ers a knife and drop them in the woods, they wouldn't last a week. No comprehensive skills or common sense whatsoever.

>20-something children complaining about 10-something children
Priceless.

I'm 41, stupid.

>41
>on Sup Forums

Even back in the 90s few knew how to burn a CD properly

Don't sweat it, fellow oldfag. I'm 43.

I keep an older x58 build with multiple burners I'm it just in case I need to burn something. Nero is easy enough that even my mom could burn a music cd

congratulation, you just read from a cd.
too bad you were asked to write one.

This thread is obvious bait. But anyway I will say that a BD-R HTL is one of the best forms of backup currently existing.

I'm just happy to see someone older then me on here. I'm 32

>not using magnetic tape reels
pleb.

>Supposedly "kids these days" are better with technology,
They're better with consumer technology; they can tap apps, utilize web resources, intuitively read GUIs and menus, etc. But such level of abstraction in fact only serves to foster illiteracy, and as it stand, technological illiteracy has never been higher. People who grew up on iPads, iOS, etc, don't even know what a filesystem is, and so on.

>a roastie is shit at technology
WOOOAH

Autistic subhuman OP btfo.

Average? No. The average teenager in 2008 couldn't burn a disc easily, either. The average IQ in this country is like 85 bud.

Don't worry, I use a W520 and a modded T60.

desu I'm in my early 20s and I can operate any tech back to floppy drives because I'm an enthusiast, but most people I've met in college can barely get their laptops working.

I suggested one person reinstall Windows 7 after upgrading to 10 caused issues, and they straight up asked how to do that. They didn't know how to reinstall Windows.

>tfw you don't have a CD/DVD drive

I keep one around for reinstalling Windows 7 without having to perform arcane driver rituals

this

Kid here. Turned 18 in January and I've been coming to Sup Forums since I was about 13 years old. This place is my childhood. Computers are fairly easy to understand if you have half a brain. Myself and some others on Sup Forums are a good 10-20 IQ points smarter than the average brainlet. Understanding computers on a modular level is an extremely easy concept even for normies. Building a computer is almost like cooking, where you add parts, plug it in, and install and OS. But things are different when you get deeper and try to explain how flash memory works, or that a CPU is actually a little silicon piece that had circuitry etched into it with lasers. Hardware on that level isn't even the hardest thing to explain to people. It's the software. You get a blank look even from "tech enthusiasts/hobbyists" when you try to explain CPU microcode, trusted modules, or security co-processors. Even on higher levels, people don't understand what a compiler does and they think that programmers sit there typing 1s and 0s, as if they haven't already invented other software to make their lives easier. Most programmers I've met don't even understand what compiling is actually doing, just that it puts a magical executable on the desktop when they click a button in the IDE. Shit, maybe 0.0001% of the population has bothered to read the Wikipedia pages on this stuff. Most people operate on a level of abstraction where they simply can't comprehend this stuff. It really peels my tangerines.

To give a more direct response, I only burn DVDs to boot operating systems on my retro hardware that doesn't boot from USB, like my PowerPC Macs and to make new discs for my PS2 after the old ones get too scratched up.

And no, people my age are not better with technology. A chimp could install Facebook and run it. In the short time I actually had a Facebook, I became convinced that actual chimps were using the site because of the non-stop shit flinging and crying.

>New cars are starting to drop CD players.
CD's are fucking cool. I get the convenience of digital storage and streaming services, but they shouldn't be purged.

The reason millennials are attached to their internet is because you wouldn't set an example and get the fuck off your laptop. Now they're addicts and they don't even know how to use a computer outside browsing and touch typing. Shit, ask a millennial to upload a jpeg and they won't even know what the fuck you just said.

Is that a DVD rewinder

>'dude I am so good with computers I even know how to burn CDs'

meanwhile your peers learned about more important things like how to take off a bra or heel-toe downshift.

There are so many possibilities out there that people just get overwhelmed by tons and tons of information and resort to Facebook and similar

the grinding sound while it was formatting a disk

5&1/4" floppy

made you feel like you were doing something

>Write-once/rewritable media, -R or +R, booktype, overburning, ISO 9660 and UDF, SAO, DAO, TAO, PTP and OTP on DL media, etc.

you forgot joliet! and el-torito no-emulation mode

Doubt it, as things get easier, people get stupider.

>people will fall for this bait

>Do you think the average user these days, even the average teenager, could deal with not-so-complicated shit like burning a disc, as was very very usual years ago?

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

>no

It's not bait, he's really that retarded.
There's no bait on this site, either they know, or they are retarded, even if they act retarded, they shall be treated like a retard, hence why they are retarded.

honestly why would they have to know? most laptops don't even come with CD drives

>millenial arguing with another millenial
you do realize the next generation started when you were a child. right?