Does ryzen overclocks? 1600x sounds nice, but best consumer OC report i found so far was 4.1 GHz from 4.0

Does ryzen overclocks? 1600x sounds nice, but best consumer OC report i found so far was 4.1 GHz from 4.0.

4 GHz is the max you're likely to hit. If you want super high clockspeeds, stick with Intel. And don't forget to delid and watercool, lol.

well, i always wanted to have a water loop anyway. sounds like fun and easy project to make.

inb4
>HELP I BROKE MY CPU
>Thanks Sup Forums my mum is going to kill me
>im never listening to you guys again

Make sure to get a 1500W PSU and liquid cool your motherboard VRMs too.

water cooler seem cool until it leak and kill your component

i have overclocked vishera now, my psu is surely ready for some high-tdp action. also, i doubt i'll hit higher power draw on ryzen than i did on vishera.

i don't think this is a real problem. i'll just tighten those pipe holding thingies properly and nothing could possibly leak out of it. unless i don't know something and, let's say, pumps in pc WC systems are shit and can leak just like that. All of my knowledge about wc systems is fixing a car's radiator once.

Ryzen is probably not a good choice if overclocking is that important to you. Overclocking ryzen chips barely do anything. Ryzens are better if you want to do multiple things simultaneously, and at a good pace without hiccups. Intel's are faster but can't do the same with simultaneous tasks, while being in general less energy efficient and running much hotter.

Do you want to lighten the load on your power supply, not have to watercool your chip, have multiple tasks running simultaneously, and probably use the same motherboard for future upgrades? Then get a Ryzen. If not just go Intel.

Doesn't Ryzen benefit more from faster RAM?

Those are the eyes of crazy

it definitely does. there are lots of differences between 2133mhz and 3200mhz benchmarks and real world performance.

Why the need to overclock?

As someone with a custom built loop, I can tell you from experience that so long as you've got a fine head on you and do a little research first, you'll be absolutely fine.
I've had my loop for just under a year now and I've had one leak, and the leak I had wasn't even critical.
To explain the leak to help you avoid the same mistake, what happened was when I was changing fluids after 6 months, I'd not realised that I'd let my drain-tap remain slightly open because how close it is to the pump, and the pump was pushing it open.
No components were affected whatsoever, and it was quickly noticed and fixed.

So, as long as you do research into what pieces you'll need in your loop and take your time to make sure you're doing it properly and everything is tight but not over-tightened, you'll be absolutely fine.

I delidded my 6700k last week.
It's pretty easy. All I used was a vice (not the method with the hammer)
Just have the heatspreader clamped in on one side and the PCB on the other side.
And make sure you don't us the side of the PCB with the little cutouts.
Go slowly, make sure after every little push that the PCB isn't bent (I bent mine a little because it was Oriented wrong, didn't break)
I even put a little scratch on the die because I didn't have microfiber cloth and used kitchen roll (is that what it's called?) to clean it. Still works flawlessly with a lot lower temps.
Considering it's free and quite easy, I'll never not do it again

Ryzen doesn't go over 4Ghz, really. This is to do with the process it's made with.

It's 14LPP, which is basically supposed to be 14 nm for phone mobile chips. For a process like that, AMD has exceeded expectations already.

How were your results? I have the non-k of that but if I can knock a few degrees off for quieter operation I'd do it.

To be honest I can't tell you a straight up temperature difference, because I went straight into overclocking higher after a quick test. It must have been 15°C at least though, because my new oc would have throttled under load before the delid and now hits about 85°C.
I'd say it's worth it if you aren't both stupid and careless.

You could buy better ram or better ssd. but enjoy your leak

more ram or ssd doesn't really sound like a fun project to make

If smartphone cpus only clock to like 2.8 of w/e but Ryzen is pushing 4.1, does that mean we can expect stupid amounts of GHz beyond the expected 5 GHz from the IBM node?

Have fun! A bit higher clockspeeds is pretty much the only competitive advantage Intel's got left to justify their usually twice-as-expensive-for-the-equivalent-processor prices these days.

Seems like you're one of the select few in their target audience!

Probably not.

the "x" literally means "fabric OCed"

>OCing an OCed CPU

I thought to stood for eXtended Frequency Range.