This probably belongs on Sup Forums or /sqg/ buttfuck it. I recently sold my Rx 480 and am about to buy a GTX 1080...

This probably belongs on Sup Forums or /sqg/ buttfuck it. I recently sold my Rx 480 and am about to buy a GTX 1080. With this upgrade I want to get a new monitor, so I need to decide on 4k or 1440p. Which would be better to make use of this card for an extended amount of time?(2-3 generations) Is downscaling a 4k panel to 1080p for gaymes really not intuitive as it might seem? Help Sup Forums

Stop using 1440p and 1080p as descriptors, all computer monitors are progressive scan. They can't even output interlaced. Use 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 like a real man.

Describing a monitor through an interlaced resolution would be denoted by the letter I after the resolution from my knowledge. For example my cable box says 720i for it's resolution. Unless I'm wrong of course

Yes, but describing a computer monitor as progressive scan is fucking retarded. They're all progressive scan, it's a given.

I apologise for my abreveated resolutions sparking your autism. Do you have a constructive point for what I'm trying to decide on?

1440p or 1080p 60+hz or 1440p 21:9 or 1080p 21:9 60+hz

I think you'll probably see fairly shitty performance with a GTX 1080 at 4k after a couple of years. Especially if you're trying to make do for 3 generations. Downscaling to 1080p is easy though, it only takes a few clicks. I've been using a 1440p monitor for 5 years and if I were to buy a new monitor right now, I would go for a 4k monitor.

My only issue with upscaling 1080p onto a 4k panel is from issues I've read online in some images and gaymes becoming blurry because of it do to their algorithms not appropriated to run other resolutions other than native. Could that be avoided by just not buying a cheap panel?

Go for 4k you will love it right now and its getting better in future.

Also its magnificent for everything other than gay men.

4k actually allows you to multitask, have and manage shitload of windows, toolbars and such.
Also amazing image clarity in movies.

Invest well into your monitor, its the component that affects your user experience the most.

It can be avoided by using GPU scaling.
The GPUs have an option to upscale instead of the monitors.

But frankly saying with gtx1080 you will have a way better experience by tinkering with settings (less AA, SSAO, medium shadows) than upscaling 1080p.

Once you go 4k you never go back, its SO good you will prefer 4k low to 1080p ultra.

Homeboy is full of shit. 20/20 and I could hardly tell the difference between 1080/4k on a monitor, sure it's there but it's so marginal it's not even worth mentioning.

4k is exactly double 1080p
Images upscale to integer numbers perfectly, but upscaling 1440 does get it a bit less sharp but more detailed than 1080p in the same time

Ok. Here are some official terms for common monitor resolutions.

HD
WXGA
FHD
WUXGA
DCI 2K
WFHD
WQHD
UWQHD
QHD+
UHD
DCI 4K
UHD+
8K UHD

>hardly
Really?
I got a 32" monitor and i fcking cum buckets from sharpness, crispness and details on the image.
Its the best thing ever, like switching from VGA monitor to 1280*1024 which felt amazing back in the day.
And my eyes arent even perfect.

1. 1440p all the way
2. You need goysink if you buy novideo. It's a given. Tearing is vert much more annoying on novideo than proper GPUs.
3. You need a doctor if you buy 1080 and not 1080 ti. 1080's perf/price ratio loses to both 1070 and 1080 ti.

1440p is exactly double 720p.
May help you overcome novideo gimp in the future.

Numbers are shorter, describtive, dont requre capitalzation.
>describing a computer monitor as progressive scan is fucking retarded.
>describing progressive scan as progresiive is wrong
>Autism.

I remember my first sharpening filter.

Does your sharpening filter make pixels on the panel phisically smaller?

I fucking hate marketing.
16:9, 1080
21:9, 1440

How is this that hard to comprehend? Why did they decide to throw all these retarded ass acronyms?

It creates an illusion that pixels you couldn't naturally discern from a normal seating distance in the first place appear sharper at arbitrarily high resolutions far beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Returns like the monitor I returned after testing it out because it wasn't a big enough deal to justify $1000. Also, fuck 21:9, literally zero content for it so you have to zoom or upscale like 99% of everything you watch or you get sick pillarboxes.

I used to see individual pixels and a narrow blac line between them sitting in front of a 22" 1920×1200 at my arm's lenght.
And i dont have short arms or anything.

Viewing a 32" 4k panel from same distance feels MUCH better. All lines, edges and everything appears to be smoother and crisper.

4K overpriced atm just like VR gear.
wait a few years to get it for a reasonable price.

Go for 144hz 1080p and make use of that stupid gtx you've bought

Surely it quadruple

If its possible hold out for Vega. If you don't want to upgrade your monitor you go nvidia 100%. Low heat, available now, 1080 and 1080ti are powerful. But if you want a new monitor freesync is incredibly valuable, will make the card last longer because fps dips arent a big deal, and are $250 cheaper than gsync monitors.
If you just don't care I suggest 1440p 144Hz. That way you can run easy games and your desktop at 144hz and in the future drop AAA titles to whatever fps you can run them at but again freesync or gsync would be very helpful here.
I deeply regret buying a monitor without freesync or gsync. Now im buying a gsync monitor or maybe selling my 980ti and buying a freesync monitor and Vega.

LMAO get a life nigger

>Numbers are shorter, describtive, dont requre capitalzation.
How are numbers shorter you subhuman pile of shit?

you will benefit much more from 1440p @ 144hz, 180hz, 240hz than a monitor thats 4k @ 60hz

also consider gsync and low response times of TN panels

you will have a much better time gayming

High refresh rate 1080p 1ms goysync. Although I'll admit this now you're a fucking idiot for selling your rx480 considering how much cheaper and better freesync monitors are than the gsync meme.

>freesync better than gsync

Nvida might be greedy as fuck but its nowhere comparable.

>add 4 other numbers for no reason even though we all know what it means otherwise
what is the point of this

Higher resolution makes everything small. I don't know how to optimize it. Windows btw

We have a winner for most autistic post of the day.