/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nl.aliexpress.com/category/200214012/mechanical-watches.html?site=nld&SortType=total_tranpro_desc&g=y&attrRel=or&needQuery=n&pvId=581-200004493&isrefine=y
aliexpress.com/item/stopBeingAFuckingNiggerAndLearnHowToUseTheInternet/32817532824.html
s.aliexpress.com/faQN3UJv
orientwatchusa.com/return-of-the-defender/
seikousa.com/media-center/press-releases/PDF2017/2017_Presage.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for seamonster

Seikoanon, why is there a suwa mark on my 1988 5s21? How late did that mark exist?

Sjöö Sandström

Pleb here, what stops me from buying any of these if I don't care about picosecond precision?

nl.aliexpress.com/category/200214012/mechanical-watches.html?site=nld&SortType=total_tranpro_desc&g=y&attrRel=or&needQuery=n&pvId=581-200004493&isrefine=y

fuck off ninefag your threads are shit

Found a fake rolex.
Was astonished by the amount of work they did on small details for it to not look fake.

Laser etched in the crown into the glass and everything.
Only when I took the back of you could see the less than ideal parts.

Pretty damn cool they went the extra mile

FIRST FOR SNE 437

New orient diver and defender both look good

Reposting in new bread.

Looking for a cheap stainless like pic.
Just for a beater. Not any of my nice shit.
Chink shit is fine. Best place to look?

Stainless band, not watch. Might have been unclear.

What watch? You're unlikely to find proper fitted endlinks unless it's a popular model, straight ones are easy as shit to find in a thousand places, fucking put some effort in.

One of these. Got it for beach, swimming, and wakeboarding.
>fucking put some effort in
nig, I asked for a good place to look. Not a link to the band. I'm sure someone here knows great places for cheap stainless bands, why not ask?

Can somebody ring me the image with the brand tiers of watches?

Casio literally makes a bracelet for that watch

It appears that Daini Seikosha and Suwa Seikosha continued to use their respective marks on watches made by each half of the company well after they were renamed Seiko instruments and Seiko Epson, respectively. As far as I can tell, their marks were used at least until the early 1990s and were not phased out until the 7SXX/4Rxx/6RXX/6SXX/8RXX era of movements.

Don't forget that to this day Seiko Epson remains involved in the manufacturing of parts and/or complete stepper motor quartz and spring drive movements for Seiko watches. It is only the purely mechanical models that are made by SII exclusively.

>$20000
>dial imperfections

>wearing your watch on your wrist bone
how to tell it's not their watch

What model number is that?

Neat, thanks for the background. For what it's worth, no visible mark on dial or external case on my march 1990 age of discovery 8m25.

It's like 50 bucks.
I bought the watch for like 30 new.

Again, looking for a good recommendation for something cheap.

Make a bracelet yourself out of paperclips

5170g

I mean they do link together and they would work with a spring bar.
If I can find a box of them at work maybe I'll try making a mesh-like band, linking them all together.

Also, go fuck yourself.

aliexpress.com/item/stopBeingAFuckingNiggerAndLearnHowToUseTheInternet/32817532824.html

How beaten is your daily beater?

What about a shark mesh?

s.aliexpress.com/faQN3UJv

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with;
How long does AliExpress take to ship? I found some cheap on eBay too, but they take like a month or more.

>.gif

Generally between 2 and 4 weeks with the cheap/free shipping. If you spring for DHL or something it can be as low as a couple days, but that defeats the purpose of chinkshit.

Nice, thanks.

File size was too big, saved it as .gif to make it smaller.

>dial imperfections
where?

Orient bringing back their defender field watch
orientwatchusa.com/return-of-the-defender/
I remember some user on here was looking for one

Is there a better way? Saving as .gif seemed like the easiest solution.

Just bought this Citizen diver for 100€ shipped, how did I do /wt/?
I think it's a bargain at that price. The case is titanium and the date wheel is also in kanji which is cool. Hope it doesn't wear too big.

it's kind of meh but if you like it's fine

>tfw no Sinn 356 UTC

I've never worn a watch. A friend gave me a Fitbit and I enjoyed it more than I thought.

It capped out in only a few months, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a fitness tracking smartwatch. I'm looking at the Garmin Forerunner 235. Any recommendations or warnings?

>It capped out in only a few months
What does this mean? I don't know anything about Fitbits.

Typo. Crapped out. The band I have is one piece, and it's started to tear away from the display.

Its not awful as it was a hand me down, but fitbit won't replace it and if I'm strapping something to my arm every day it may as well be a watch.

Are Seiko SARB watched put together by hand? They sure have a heft that reminds me of a luxury brand watch.

Humans are involved in their assembly, though I caution you that the mass of an object is not a good indicator of it's provenance.

Garmin trackers are great. I used to own a Fenix, it served me well.

I'm not trying to steer you away from our world of watch-centric autism, but why not just replace the band?

A few reasons, I guess.

-I want to switch companies since I don't trust fitbit build quality now

-I'm interested in a larger display that reads better in sunlight, I have really bad eyes

-I'm interested in some smartwatch functionality, like being able to read a message or change music tracks. I don't need that stuff, but it'd be cool.

Since I'd have to spend about $150 to replace what I started with, it makes sense to spend a bit more and step up.

If it wasn't clear, this particular model doesn't have a separate band and display, it's all one piece. My band is fucked, so my whole unit is fucked.

Wtf I hate Fitbit now. Which model is it?

Charge HR. My friend bought one a year ago, it had the same problem they replaced it, he used it for a few months more.

Switched it out for a Garmin watch (hence my interest) and passed it on to me and then had the same issue, but since Fitbit fulfilled the original warranty they are saying tough shit.

I was originally going to write it off and get a new one, but they jerked me around a bit playing like they might actually help, so fuck 'em.

To be fair, the new model HR2 in pretty sure does have a replaceable band now.

>I was originally going to write it off and get a new one, but they jerked me around a bit playing like they might actually help, so fuck 'em.
Tell them this, see if they'll give you an HR2. Still get the actual watch, but keep the HR2 as a backup, or give it away or sell it.

My bullhead chronograph

Love that dial and bezel combo.

why do we wear a watch bruce?

Classic, though the day date at 6 always looks so silly

There's a new Fortis Flieger Cockpit on eBay for 550€. I don't really have the money to buy it right now but I'm curious if the Fortis watches really are as good as I've heard. Why the steep drop from the MSRP?

>cocktail time is going out of stock everywhere

Yea the bezel color is like a root beer soda can. Nice alpinist. Own one as well. Need to get the bracelet for mine now.

Nah just perspective. With a 44mm tip to tip length it wears pretty compact. Pic related. That being said I do love my 34mm dress pieces.

Hurry user You better be going after the blue dial one.

>blue dial one
huh?

look very closely at the 5/7 markers being at a different angle

Presage is ugly junk compared to the cocktail time

That IS the new cocktail time, m8.

What's the best metal band for the sarb003? Its summer and any type of fabric material is out of the question. I don't want the leather to stink or anything. My stock sarb bracelet is pretty meh. Took off the watch the other day and the metal rod holding one of the links together fell out so now its unusable.

/fa/

seikousa.com/media-center/press-releases/PDF2017/2017_Presage.pdf

Thank god I got mine like a year ago.

Looks perfectly fine to me. Might just be an illusion due to the angle, or it being a low res image.

Fuck off, frogposter, gb2/b.

>frogposter meme
nice d&c there

Is there an up-to-date guide for poorfags like me?

Just take a loan and buy a solid gold daytona from an AD. Then, sell it NIB second-hand for more than you paid, and pay off your loan. Repeat this process until you have enough cash to buy whatever strikes your fancy.

Are you alright?

As long as you don't go to a loan shark, you should be able to make a solid profit as outlined above.

This is my new mate.
Rate it /g

those pins are pretty long.
it didnt just fall out.
liar

AP have a chinese watch designer?

I would rate it to about 1500 meters.

Far from lying. Either I got a shit bracelet or something. Took off my jacket and my watch flew off my wrist. I can't find the rod to attach to the links.

Either way, its probably best to out on a bracelet with screw in links.

It is a watch that make a statement.

About being prolix.

Seems legit

Why the fuck would you be able to sell a new watch for more than you bought it for?

>Why the fuck would you be able to sell a new watch for more than you bought it for?

some watches are only sold in certain retail locations or countries and people will pay more for them than retail in other countries

Not him but around here prostitutes are major customers for high end watches. The reason is simple: a watch is an easy way of transporting money and is reasonable convertible in their home countries. So prostitution is one of the major reasons for the large second hand (or "pre owned" as they prefer to call it) market for watches.

>Not him but around here prostitutes are major customers for high end watches.

tfw no tourbillon wearing hooker to ass fuck

Tourbillons are a very useful complication for accurate timekeeping during intercourse since they eliminate positional variation. A moonphase also helps with tracking the menstrual cycle. And it goes without saying that a minimum of 200m WR is recommended.

They don't call it haute horlogerie for nothing, you know.

ninefag is that you

Whorology, you mean.

Now I see the fascination for chronometers: not competitive egg boiling but rather to meter out time to ensure value for money, or, ahem, bang for the bucks.

Could this also be the reason for tachymeters?? "Pulsations" per minute?

NO SEIKO IS BETTER YOU FUCKING IDIOT

That is just how the pricing works for Rolex Daytonas right now.

Where?