/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - 144hz only
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

nz.pcpartpicker.com
apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNE92LL/A&step=config#
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/CpsZyf
viewsonic.com.au/products/archive/VX2433wm.php
pcpartpicker.com/list/szTB3F
gamespot.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-580-and-rx-570-review/1100-6449402/#4K_Benchmarks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice touch on the "Used xeon" part

What do you mean?

I just wanted to thank whoever wrote up the OP. it's really helpful and informative.
One thing I noticed was that it claims ryzen CPUs benefit greatly from higher ram speeds. Is that in regards to gaming, or other more work oriented applications?
Thanks

Any word on the upcomming Coffee Lake processor? z170 compatible? It's like a month away, right?

>7700k
no one buys that shit, dont even bother

DOA, if its a 6 core then its Turbo DOA and will have weaker single core than babby lake

screencap this

wow you have shit taste in vidya

thanks

>z170 compatible?
nope. COmpletely new socket. You'll have to get an all new motherboard for Coffeelake. LGA1151 is pretty much dead at this point. Kaby Lake is the most powerful you'll get on LGA1151.

>Is that in regards to gaming, or other more work oriented applications?
In regard to everything that can get faster with a faster CPU. Higher memory speed means higher core-to-core communication so it's as if you increased the CPU frequency but only when two cores are talking together, or to be more accurate it lowers the latency between the cores so they can communicate faster. It translates to noticeably higher framerate in gaming and noticeably better performance in multi-threaded software too

>nz.pcpartpicker.com
that's not a build link user

144hz builds do use a 7700k

reee!!!!! I have to build it myself?

k 5 mins

i need your help /pcbg/

im looking to buy an LGA1366 board for cheap.

since they are all fairly old now, they are expensive. ive checked newegg and ebay (and amazon and buy and tiger direct).

are there any sites that sell this kind of stuff for cheap (like a chinese site that sells old overstock)? or does anyone know of a dirt cheap LGA1366 board that is easy to pick up on ebay?

Well yes, the first two lines of the OP states that if you want help you need to assemble the build yourself .

i should add that i already grabbed a dell T3500 motherboard (then subsequently shelled out for an empty case because it is a proprietary size and has a proprietary front panel board and pinout).

thats as cheap as i could find. but i still dont know how it is gonna go as far as rebuilding.

i have a xeon x5677 to use in it as well. i was hoping to get a consumer board as i have a case, ram, psu and gpu ready to go. and making sure that all works and fits inside the dell case is still a question mark.

Where can I find a reliable list for GPU's which work perfectly fine with FOSS drivers on GNU/Linux? How good are free drivers these days for more recent cards?

Mine doesnt stop shilling

Doing a used build around a 3470 I got and having trouble picking a MB. I'm looking at the AsRock B75M, Asus P8H61-M and the AsRock H61M-S. I like the B75M since it supports higher ram speeds and doesn't need a bios update to work(?). Really I'm looking for a second opinion and any suggestions on other boards.

>waah shill!
Fuck off shill.

he changed this
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

to this

>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

It's a nice touch to emphasize on the "used" part, because it implies that you should only get a xeon if you can get it for cheap

Not a shill. This is what I am considering now. I realize it is not a "build," but the 27" retina screen alone is almost worth it. This is $1800. I will add RAM and external storage later. Worth it?

Processor

3.3GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)
Memory

8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
Storage

2TB Fusion Drive1
Graphics

AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
Video Support and Camera

FaceTime HD camera

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to two 4096-by-2160 external displays or one 5120-by-2880 dual-cable external display

Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes
Input/Output

Headphone port

SDXC card slot

Four USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps, compatible with USB 2)

Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (up to 20 Gbps)

Mini DisplayPort output with support for HDMI, DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)

10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Kensington lock slot
Audio

Stereo speakers

Dual microphones

Headphone port

Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)

Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
Wireless

802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible; Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Size and weight

Height: 20.3 inches (51.6 cm)

Width: 25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

Depth: 8 inches (20.3 cm) with stand

Weight: 21 pounds (9.54 kg)4

refurb.

>tfw you killed an fx-55 this way
Its memory controller was broken already since it only worked in single channel set, but still I was mad as fuck.

what is the resolution of the meme screen?

5120‑by‑2880 resolution

Any reason why you wouldn't just buy one new with slightly better specs for the same price?
apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNE92LL/A&step=config#
>3.4GHz i5
>8GB 2400MHz DDR4
>1TB HDD
>4GB Radeon Pro 570

are you sure? there were a lot of imacs

The fusion drive? I'm not sure it is all it is cracked up to be, but it sounds good.

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. I like the retina, and I don't know if I could get a monitor with that resolution anywhere else. It's almost like the rest of the computer is "thrown in." And I am a Unix guy, so MacOS is something I can use. Sed/Awk/shellcode. I know this shit.

well, most of the newer ones come with retina displays, but not that much comes with 5k screens

>Current build
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/CpsZyf

>Budget
$1680
>Country
New Zealand
>Games I want to play
Arma 3, Rust, Elderscrolls Cat people, Sup Forums browsing
>Monitor
1080p

hopefully it is GPU passthrough compatible, I'll probably use my current amd graphics card for linux and the gtx for the pass through

how many Hz is the monitor?

85hz I think

That's not very good it is ?

I don't care desu

it's worked fine for 10 years

viewsonic.com.au/products/archive/VX2433wm.php

I will replace it later when I have money spare.

pcpartpicker.com/list/szTB3F
$0 parts are placeholders for wattage calculator

Is this a joke?

no, just seeing what a x10sra build might look like

Wait is this some kind of a joke I'm not getting? Why the fuck does 570 cost more than 1060 6gb? Is this some miners bullshit?

I'll probably do it anyway. Then come back and tell everyone to kiss me ass.

Fusion drives are just SSHD drives and are just as hopeless as normal drives.

And the retina screens... Enjoy your 8-bit 72% sRGB rubbish

Yes.

I got a 1700 and a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 and Flare X RAM and that shit won't work, breadboarded it and fans spin but red CPU LED on the mobo

Had a friend test the CPU and RAM in his setup and they're fine so it's either the mobo or the PSU (RM650x), I did an RMA request on the mobo just to get the process started and the vendor wrote back saying that they can flash the BIOS for 15e and it will work

What is this bullshit, 1700 was literally the first Ryzen CPU released and the mobo claims Ryzen support so how is it possible that it needs BIOS update, for R5 I understand because those came out later but for R7? What the fuck guys help me

HELP

sure, if you like to throw money in the trash, go for it

how do I get started on upgrading

what are motherboard revisions for 500 jimmy?

Neither R5 nor R7 need a bios update to work on AM4 motherboards, no idea why it doesn't work though.

what would a better x10sra build look like?

What do I do now? I figured myself a nice r5 1600 rx570 build and cash for it is laying nearly in my pocket, but it seems unwise to buy now.
What do? Wait? Pick another gpu?

oh, forget it, didn't realize you wanted that specific motherboard

go for it then

How much RAM do I actually need for an 80 TiB RAIDZ3 box? Everyone knows the 1TB-1GiB guideline, but apparently that is outdated and that much RAM isn't truly necessary. Also, registered or no?

No one has any idea when will this end so you're better off buying another GPU like a 1060 6GB if you can find it at decent price

did you have a different motherboard in mind?

Were you a silly boy and activate the XMP profile without checking the QVL? Reset the bios so the ram runs at 2133 then manually input your ram timings and voltage.

Thank you. I think I will. Need that resolution and I can buy better gpu later. At least the screen will isuppot it. np?

How can a product that says "Ryzen supported" on it not support the very first Ryzen CPU tho
Explain for 500 pls
Forums and Plebbit do claim that that mobo needs at least BIOS F5 for R5

>How can a product that says "Ryzen supported" on it not support the very first Ryzen CPU tho
Easy. The RAM module is incompatible with the mobo. Did you check the QVL friendo?

Wish I was silly enough to be able to get it to POST even, it hangs at red CPU LED and that's it

Have tried CMOS battery clear and shit, RAM in all slot combinations, reseating CPU and checking pins

well, if you/he was willing/able to wait and switch, threadripper will give a lot better performance than that xeon

what resolution? if i'm not mistaken you didn't put the screen you'd be using with that

You're right, I bought RAM off the QVL but maybe that was a newer QVL compared to what I was shipped
I bought that overpriced Flare X shit because it was supposed to be binned to "just work" FML

Try flashing the bios. It takes what? 5 minutes max and if it still doesn't work just RMA the board.

gigabyte has had dual bios for some time now tho

Im assuming atm you just have the board bare assed to the world. There is no chance of anything that might cause a short somewhere? Also apart from the required cpu ram and power connectors have you plugged anything else in? If you have anything else plugged in remove it.

What has that got to do with flashing the bios?

because if you fuck one of them you have another one

funny you mention threadripper, i've also been considering seeing how epyc pans out. i'm a bit hesitant going that route though. e5-2600 v3/v4 have been out for a while, which i see as a plus. waiting a bit to see how the newer hardware turns out is also an option.

also fwiw, there's another user who's pretending to be me? not that you have any reason to believe me on an engrish picture board.

Most bios now come with a way to unbrick a mobo if you fuck it up. For ASUS, it is naming your bios a certain name, putting it into a certain USB slot and then hitting a button on the motherboard to unbrick it and flash said bios. It is very hard to brick a mobo nowadays.

was the second post I quoted you too? the one talking about gpu and resolution?

No POST so I think I would need Q Flash Plus to update BIOS from USB and that's only on Asus B350s as far as I know, definitely not my Gigabyte

Maybe best bet is to go to a local PC shop and have them flash for me so I don't wait 2 weeks for RMA shipping

Yeah bare ass breadboarded on some cardboard, CPU RAM and mobo only, nothing to short
I tried with GPU also but still got stuck at red CPU LED so have since stripped that out too
Do I need to set up direct VGA out? It wasn't doing shit with the GPU attached but maybe that's worth a try?
Also this piece of shit didn't come with mobo speaker
Also new captchas suck

no

these are me
these are mystery user

>Also new captchas suck
Install 4chanx and use legacy captcha

you can also enable legacy captcha in vanilla Sup Forums settings

glad we cleared that up

going back to the discussion, what are you planning to do with that workstation?

Got a temp probe thing and stuck it on the VRM on my motherboard, it says it's at 74C while running Prime95. Is that fine?

I don't think so, but just in case post mobo, cpu and clockspeeds

Assrock Extreme 4 Z77, 3570K, 4.7GHz.

>AssCock
Lmao.

my main concerns are reliability/longevity/stability. a little aside on the longevity: my current pc is 10+ years old. i've replaced a few caps on the mobo that were bulging. it's still running ok, but i'd like my next to do as well (or better) with fewer such hiccups. i have it in my head that "server" hardware will help in this regard, hence the xeon/epyc focus. this is also why i picked the wx 5100's. my thinking is higher voltage + lower power draw -> longer life...

plan is to run linux for most things, then various vm's with qemu/kvm. fbsd for nfs/smb/cifs with zfs, windows for games with one of the gpu's on passthrough. more as desired (i have a few ideas floating around, but those two are the ones i'm pretty set on).

i don't need great performance in games. honestly, the only newish game i see myself playing is doom4 sp... and that's a maybe. mostly, i have a bunch of old, but newer than my pc, games i'd like to play.

basically, performance isn't a primary factor for me. pretty much anything will be a massive upgrade at this point. otoh, it'd be nice to have something that'll do ok for the next 10 years (either as is, or with upgraded components). since i can't predict the future, i'm just compensating by going a little overkill.

sorry, that ended up being a bit long...

Is the price difference between the R5 1600 and 1600x worth it (i am not using the stock cooler)

wait for threadripper then, it will have more cores that are each stronger than those xeon ones

If you will oc it - then yes, if not - no.

What's a better monitor for everything and not just for gaming, 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz?

The question should be if you're overclocking or not.

X = Not overclocking or you want to push overclocks to the absolute limit. (Higher binned)

No X = Overclocking.

Can the RX 580 8gb run games at 1080×5760 at decent frame rate? If not is there any graphics card that can run that at the same price or for little more?

Who here 1800X/1080Ti master race?

144hz is literally only for gaming. I can't think of other applications that use 144hz regularly. So 1440p60hz is my suggestion. The thing about 144hz is that the difference is so much from 60hz, that once you use the former, you can't go back to 60hz so don't start.

>Not waiting for Vega

If i overclock and fuck the CPU up does the warranty cover that?

Probably would do just fine, since its 75% of 4K just look up some 4K benchmarks, add another 10-20% of FPS and decide for yourself.

1080Ti is a king at 4K though if you can stretch your budget, plus good luck actually finding a 580.

Technically no but in practice yes, they have no way of knowing you overclocked.

Kind of a pointless fear anyway as you aren't going to be getting anywhere near CPU-killing voltages or temps on consumer grade cooling.

If you just turn up the clock speed, it is hard to ruin a CPU because thermal limits just makes it shutdown. If you overvolt it to overclock, I am pretty sure that is not covered.

How about you specify which fucking games you run, and at what kind of settings ?
A 750 Ti can "run games" at that resolution at a decent framerate.

Multiply these framerates by 1.25 and you'll have a rough basis for 3x1080p gaming since that's a 25% lower resolution than 4K.

whoops missed link gamespot.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-580-and-rx-570-review/1100-6449402/#4K_Benchmarks

I'm not buying pc now because I'm going to buy pc from my work savings (probably 2-5 months later) . is the 1080 worth waiting extra 2 months? (The cpu iam going to buy is r5 1600x)

>probably 2-5 months later
Probably pointless even asking now, the landscape will have changed by then.

PLEASE DELET