Just got one of these bad boys to start learning some ARM assembly

Just got one of these bad boys to start learning some ARM assembly.
Microcontrollers, Arduinos, whatever.
What're your latest projects?
Why is AVR better than PIC?
Has ARM obsoleted all other microcontrollers to legacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

digikey.com/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-mcu-dsp/786?k=&pkeyword=stm32&pv1742=120&FV=ffeca6e6,fffc01f1,ffe00312&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why is AVR better than PIC?
thats where youre wrong kiddo

but foreal tho no one would use that shit when you can get an stm32 on a board with power supply for $2 off ebay

RISCV DOA. Why would anyone buy that inferior shit when you can just buy an equally capable ARM cortex for half the price?

If RISCV started putting out their first chips 5-10 years ago, it'd be a different story, but BTFO by ARM cortex.

wow settle down pham you dont have to bump your thread so fast on /gee/
fap machine? nice

>Not buying fully free hardware
>Not getting in on ground zero of RISC-V development
>Not using the world's fastest arduino-compatible dev kit
Why are you even here?

>arduino-compatible
nice meme

I recently bought an stm32 and have been playing with it. Its a lot more complex than AVRs, a lot harder to use to. With AVRs, I could just download a simple assembler and get to programming them in assembly just by reading the datasheet.
In stm32 however, the datasheet consists of tens of different PDF files with the main one being over 1000 pages. It's pretty hard to learn.

A huge plus with AVRs was that I could program then right from my phone

No licensing fee breh

But for real, what are some legit reasons, other than legacy or it's what your company's already invested in, to choose AVR over Cortex today?
I *want* a reason, but I'm not experienced enough to really think of any good reason. Maybe some really niche shit, like you actually need higher current out on the pins.

Heard about the BASIC stamp. Looks like it might be an easy way to do basic toy shit without much effort. Would you recommend it? Why or why not?
Also, that's basically what my dick does when I see a butterface. LEDs and all.

Just trying to jumpstart the convo. :) Didn't mean to bump, but.. I guess that's what I did.

See Seriously, that board costs $59. The board in my OP cost me $4. Unless they can get that chip down to like $2-5, it's DOA. And I'm not counting on it.

company im with uses pic currently but i think if we were to send out a new revision of our product it would definitely be arm.. and probably the top reason would be better support and availability
because there are so many manufacturers producing arm micros they are much easier to get in volume and there are a ton of arm specific tools to help during the development process, when you go pic there are only a few basic tools that never get updated and because there is no competition they are relatively shit compared to the arm equivalents
btw i have only ever written pic asm, i program all my arms in c

>stm32
Can I make a missle with it?

sure, if you want it to be guided got for one of the faster stm32f4s, i'd imagine the sensor-thrust control PID would need to be pretty tight

>No licensing fee breh
So... FPGAs? But even then, the RISCV guys are making their money off of SiFive, which... licenses IP, seems to indicate that licensing fees aren't a major factor.

Typical businesses don't give a shit about licensing fees, as it's built into the chips they buy from a handful of manufacturers. Meanwhile, RISCV has relatively the same overhead of all the costs that goes into chip fab, but far fewer chips to spread that cost out.

I guess one argument I've heard is that other nations, such as India and China, that don't want to rely on primarily US and US-friendly companies (or in the case of India, relying on affordable chips from China) for chips essential for basic modern society. The open platform allows them to pursue these in an independent manner.

> Its a lot more complex than AVRs, a lot harder to use to.
It's just ARM isn't it? I don't feel I had much difficulty with the little bit of messing around on my Pi bare metal. I guess we'll see if I still feel that way after I get my CY8CKIT. I've only been mucking with uCs for a couple of months.

>when you go pic there are only a few basic tools that never get updated and because there is no competition
So... now there is competition, Microchip might get their asses in gear and make PIC competitive again? But then again, looks like Microchip might be prioritizing ARM... so.. maybe not.

nice clock ahmed

have a super old picture of some random shit i was working on

>paying for chips preloaded with arduicancer
wud da fug

Man, so glad I got out of the Arduino trap...

It makes it really easy to get started, but support ends abruptly as soon as you want to do anything that's not Arduino. The community is just entirely like, "Why would you want to do that?"

Because fuck you, I want to do something other than do the same shit everyone else has done and I want to do more than just keep buying fucking shields for every little thing I do. That's why.

where can I buy it?

nice one pham, i never bought into the arduino thing, i fully appreciate how arduino has made embedded more accessible which has increased demand which has reduced prices for people like me but I have no idea why it gained popularity and just plain old 'write my f/w in c then just flash that shit like a normal human' didn't.. it's exactly the same shit without the hipster marketing dollars

Is ARM really the future? Why replace x86 with it for computers that aren't supposed to be mobile?

for you m8 i recommend the stm32f4 discovery
it only costs a few bucks and it has a decent arm micro, power supply, microphone, accelerometer, dac, a handfull of leds and buttons and the newer models even have a screen

.. are there non-mobile computers with arm cpus? i haven't seen one
the huge advantage of arm is power efficiency so it only makes sense to use them in mobile computers

Not yet but I've repeatedly heard the sentiment that in a decade or two it will replace x86 completely.

doubt it, while the architecture is nice they can't compete with intel and amd fabrication tech
once they hit the nm limit traditional transistor based processors will be obsolete.. who fucking knows what will replace it, hopefully some kind of quantum shit

Where they sell it? I can't find it.

mouser, ebay, aliexpress, farnell
This shit is available everywhere, how can you not find it?

>get into electronics 3 months ago (I'm CS)
>having lots of fun, learning a ton, hardware pieces all fall into place in my head
>convinced this is my new hobby
>bought €300 worth of microcontrollers, components and other doodads from aliexpress
>lost motivation to do anything with it
>obsessed with something else now
>tfw ADHD

digikey.com/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-mcu-dsp/786?k=&pkeyword=stm32&pv1742=120&FV=ffeca6e6,fffc01f1,ffe00312&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Happens to everyone
Don't worry about it, you just have to try new stuff, any wasted money is not wasted, but the price of the experience you gained

>maybe
should
up
life

RiscV > ARM > MIPS > x86

Well, it's not hard, but for a beginner, it's quite a bit to wrap your head around. Arduino makes it as simple as a purchase and follow the well written guides on the website. And the shields do allow noobs to do stuff with minimal knowledge that would otherwise take several months of more dedicated experience.

x86 actually has quite a few benefits over ARM that makes it appealing to keep in modern computers. For example, due greater code density and more descriptive instructions, you can have more ways to optimize (and more power hungry ways) for greater performance.

I used to really be like this. I think a big part is, it's really fun while you're learning new things, but as soon as you got the low hanging fruit, all the things you were learning are now just tedious, and that dopamine from learning is further and farther in betwen.

I think you just have to, at some point, sit down and say "I'm going to become the fucking expert at this shit," and learn to enjoy the long-term rewards.

hot opinion coming through

Why

I believe but will not bet my nuts on that AVR is more deterministic than Cortex-M as regards instruction timings, should you need to precisely time I/Os for whatever reason, but I could be talking out my ass.

Good user. The Maker tax sucks. That's why I never got into it in the first place.

FTDI is literally cancer.
>greater code density and more descriptive instructions
I think of x86 ISA as a compression and encryption algorithm for whatever VLIW machine is behind the decompression engine. It doesn't help that, continuing...

I have yet to see an ARM chip with a serious (64- or 128-bit) memory controller that would befit a desktop PC. Once such beasts start in volume production, which is probably equivalent to saying whenever ARM offers cheap IP for it, I think Intel will need to be scared.

I'll take those if you don't need them, thanks

>I believe but will not bet my nuts on that AVR is more deterministic than Cortex-M

Well, that's what Cortex-R is for.

AVR BTFO by ARM.

What do people think of Ti C2000?

Well 4GiB memory is a lot for an ARM computer considering most applications are in the embedded market where 32 MiB is still, a LOT