/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions. Take at least 10 seconds to Google first.

Just moved my system to a new case and I've noticed that my system seems to run ridiculously hot for the first 5 minutes after booting, before returning to normal. I've tried multiple programs and they all report similar temps (pic related) so I don't think it's an issue with the software, task manager reports no cpu usage too.
I've also touched the various parts and nothing is so hot, just slightly warm to touch.
This is making me think it's a reporting error with the hardware's probes, but why would such an issue manifest after all I did was switch cases?
Pic was taken 3 mins after boot, by 5-10 mins temps have returned to normal

things I've tried:
>reseating cooler (and reapplying thermal paste)
>reset bios
>turned off overclocks, everything back to stock

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/363649/can-displayport-carry-usb
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/
stackoverflow.com/questions/24300201/video-meta-data-using-youtube-data-api-v3
youtube.com/watch?v=DIVfDZZeGxM
github.com/bradtraversy/bookmarker,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there any downside to putting your OS on an old (like 5 years) SSD? (with a new SSD for apps/games/etc) Would there be any performance issues?

phrased differently, is it important to have your OS on a fast, recent SSD? or does any old SSD do.

Pretty much any SSD is going to outperform any HDD. If you have it, use it.

I have a dumb question that I can't find an answer to.
Are display ports both input and output, or are they like HDMI with either an input port or an output port?

superuser.com/questions/363649/can-displayport-carry-usb
spoiler: Yes

Thank you, you kind and wonderful god.

OP post old thread

Wait. I just thought, with the right software does this mean we can use display ports for built in external video capture?
(Sorry for grammar, on phone and visiting father.)
So for example, if my brother has a Nintendo Switch and wants to record gameplay, could the right program with an HDMI/display port converter do the trick?

You have a still have the old case? I know it's a lot of work, but if you put it back to your original config, does it still overheat? If it does, and it didn't before, I'm guessing you're right, and it may have been bumped in the process of swapping.

Wow, that grammar. You still have the old case*

Probably not what you're thinking of. This just allows for putting USB ports on a monitor for convenience. You would still need a USB capture card.

No not really, if the SSD has been in good condition.

How do you determine which CPU and GPU to go for? Sure there's clock speed, and some features like hyperthreading or vt-x/d, but what else do you look for in a CPU? Benchmarks?

Figure out what you need it to do first

Setup was unable to install Windows NT Boot Loader

Ensure that your C: drive is formatted and that the drive is not damaged
This happens every time i start the Windows NT 3.51 setup
What am i even supposed to do now? All my drives are formatted.

Whether it be gaming (Looking for high clock speed, no hyperthreading) or VMs (high cpu counts, hyperthreading, vt-x/d, low clock speed) or general browsing use (low TDP, no hyperthreading, cheap cost, dual core, etc), how do you pick between all of the CPU chips that have 4.5GHz with 4 cores and no hyperthreading if you're going for gaming. There's dozens of them to pick from.

Formatted to what, FAT16?

The problem is that 5 years ago is bordering on the era where SSDs weren't made to last, so it might be nearing end-of-life, and getting worse performance. SSDs made now will definitely be fine in 5 years tho

FAT32
I only have my Windows 98 boot cd to boot from, and format seems unwilling to format to anything other than 32.

>What am i even supposed to do now?
Install windows 10.
Stupid time traveller.

How do I get this VHS out without damaging it?

The vcr is a Sharp DV-NC100 if that helps.

nice try pajeet
i don't want NSAKEY on my computer.

Throw all of that out. Clock speed doesn't really translate between processors, and most of those stats are irrelevant. Browsing can be done on fucking anything, and a generally powerful modern CPU is good for pretty much anything. GPU mostly depends on the games you want to play and at what settings

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

logicalincrements.com

Slip the tape off from around the 2 pulleys on either side of the main head (#1, #2). Looks like the tape should already be loose enough to do so.

Then look for any part of the tape carriage mechanism that you can manually move to eject the tape. #3 or #4 would be a good place to start.

pix and image viewer can't display gifs?

I'm pretty sure the error stems from your file system. Backup data, reformat to FAT16, put back all files. Gparted can be your help if you need something formated at FAT16

Never mind my gif is corrupted or something

Very nice. Thanks for the links.

So you use the logical increments list to figure out what kind of CPU you want to get? It certainly helps lower the hundreds of possible CPUs to a couple dozen.

w3m is acting weird when I use any font that isn't tewi. Images won't show persistently and just flash when I hit a key. They're there, but it's like they're being refreshed constantly.
What on earth could be causing this?

If you're trying to shave your budget down to the bare minimum. Unless you need to do heavy professional editing or something crazy then any desktop i7 made in the last 3 years is plenty. Hell an i5 would be good for most shit. Get what's on sale. And if you've got a single 1080/60 screen then just get a 1060 or 580 depending on which christmas color gets your rocks off

thanks. got the tape out. Is there an easy way to convert this tape into a digital file, or should I just take it somewhere to get it done?

Wait, I'm dumb, it only happens with TTF. I still don't know how to go about fixing it, though. It just werks in FreeBSD so I figured it'd be the same on Linux.
Also, ranger displays images with w3mimagedisplay just fine, if it matters.

Oh... But why? Why couldn't we use a display port as both a USB and a a/v-in, then use a program to stream it to a window on our desktop?

>a/v-in
Because it is an av out?

OP here

Thanks for the replies guys, but it seems like my problem solved itself. There must have been a fuck tonne of bubbles hanging around in the water block after moving it around, and it took a few hours for them to clear out. No idea what was causing the motherboard temp to spike, that particular probe must have been under the socket or something.

Old thread here:

MPC-HC glitches like crazy now whenever G-SYNC is on when I switch to full-screen, I'm pretty sure it didn't do this when I first got the monitor though, I tried to capture in OBS but it woudn't show so I captured on my phone.

You're being haunted by the ghost of Richard Stalin, hire an exorcist.

thanks for the seizure

>Are display ports both input and output
>yes
>no

what kind of trickery is this? I should have just worded my question better.

The do video protocols and data protocols, can't remeber if the mux them or have seperate wires but can be both ways, the video shit can't.

Here's an update to what i've done so far:
I started fdisk without large disk support, deleted everything and created the maximum fat16 partition allowed (2G at the beginning of disk)
i swapped CDs and started the winnt setup, it started deploying all files and shit. i let him do it's thing, then rebooted when it was over.
I was then greeted with a nothing. Seems like the setup didn't deploy NTLDR to the mbr.
I then installed PloP and booted the disk, and it worked.
But soon NT told me that it's unable to load the keyboard layout (KBDIT.dll) and setup cannot continue.
Even when replacing the file the same error is being thrown.

Windows has come a long way.
NT is probably riddled with security holes too.

The thing won't even be online

Im doing a CTF on vulnhub and have made a payload that has made a connection to it but unsure how to type in the active session.

How would I go about typing into session 1 and switching back and forth to victims and my terminal?

So I have a bit of a weird one. I'm using an USB headset (Logitech g933, It's shit) and today my mic randomly stopped working. Apparently my mic volume automatically starts scrolling down to zero and my skype partner says that there is a loud buzzing (which I can even kinda hear echoing) but when I set my mic to playback I hear literally nothing, not my voice not the buzzing. If I put the slider any higher, it scrolls down to zero. It stops scrolling down when I mute my mic in skype however.
I'm on win 7 all the latest updates installed, I've ran malwarebytes, I've unchecked the "let programs control this device" box I've googled my ass off.
after a restart the mic works fine and the problem seems to appear randomly after a few minutes.

what software should I use if I want to completely wipe data from SD card (so they won't be recoverable)?

A Hamma.

What is the difference between CPU Core voltage and VDDCR CPU voltage?

forgot pic

I use i3wm and whenever I want to open sublime-text it asks me for the key, now I know that it can be used for free but all I see is the screen where I should input the code. No way to skip it or anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I buy à tkp t270 ?

How do I acquire metadata from youtube videos? From my own research, there are two ways.

1) Download the video with a tool such as youtube-dl and then reverse-transcode it to get something that approximates the original video file and then try to extract the metadata.

2) Use the Youtube Data API to get detailed metadata info.

Could someone tell me or direct me to a source that explains how to do either of these? Other methods are welcome too.

I installed a new version of skype. worked fine for about 15 minutes and then my skype partner complained about loud buzzing and couldn't hear me at all.
Now this time my mic settings didn't go to zero though.
I really don't know what causes this, all I can find on google is people complaining about hearing buzzing but nothing about others hearing you buzz after a certain, seemingly random, amount of time.
Any ideas?

Hanging up and calling again fixes it for a few minutes. I'm super confused.

The CPU core voltage is the core voltage as measured by the CPU's voltage regulator.
The VDDCR CPU voltage is the core voltage as measured by the motherboard.

Typically the CPU voltage regulator's measurements will be more accurate

developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/
stackoverflow.com/questions/24300201/video-meta-data-using-youtube-data-api-v3

I don't follow, can you link me to one?
$mod+Shift+q
Also, wikileaks doc has key used by CIA. Use that one.

>wikileaks doc has key used by CIA. Use that one.
SublimeCo sueing wiksneaks?

looks like part=fileDetails is only available to the video owner. any other way?

What do I have to sacrifice if I want a monitor that has 144Hz refresh rate and is IPS at the same time?

>spend all night writing program, half asleep
>make some huge progress
>stop for the night and go to sleep
>wake up next day afternoon
>take a look at the code
>"what the fuck is this?! i don't get a single thing!"
how do you deal with this, Sup Forums?

Does anyone know where I could get a Creators update Windows 10 pro ISO?

What is the best job I can get with a computer science degree?

By best I mean something that doesn't involve programming that makes me replaceable by an Indian.

I have a project management certificate too. It was very expensive. Managing people is pretty much irreplaceable by Indians, right?

script kidding ransomware

I moved in with them recently because my original living arrangement was splitting an apartment half/half with an at-the-time pretty cool dude. He fucked off for other living arrangements, and now I have to live with my parents for a bit while saving to move into a cheaper apartment and having enough saved so I can live off interest and some odd jobs.
The thing is, my mum and dad bought me a computer last year as a birthday present. I can't stand it anymore, and would rather sell it so I can put it towards a Thinkpad, or some other cheap laptop, and then the rest towards future savings. I don't want to tell them, because they'll be disappointed with me, but if I sell it without saying anything, they'll still find out, and be even worse about it that I didn't tell them. I just don't have the money right now to live on my own again.
What's the best way to go about it? Anything better than just outright telling them I'm selling it for something else? I know, it's pretty shit to sell a gift.
Thanks for any advice, anons.

You mean you would rather have a laptop than a desktop? Just explain thet you appreciate the gift but you these days lapshits are as good as desktops for most workloads and you want them to help you trade it in. Getting them envolved makes it feel more like you are trying to include them and less like you are trying to give them the cold shoulder.

internet is out so i'm using my phone's internet tethered to my pc

why am i able to torrent at 2MB/s yet can't load stuff like youtube without timing out?
i can't even load fucking google

literally nothing works but Sup Forums

Is 'debloating' windows a meme or can I actually improve performance.
I got a fresh win10 install on muh brikpad because I figured I may as well duo boot in case I need windows for Super Mario and shit.

why not 1440p ips?

the screen realestate is insane

The computer they bought was some Dell prebuilt, which while nice, I'd definitely prefer just a cheap laptop for any amount of work, since all I do is some on-the-go odd jobs for bits of cash every now and then. I don't have a ton of time to sit down and do much on a computer.
Would it be worth saying something about how the cost of the computer is going to still end up buying me a gift? It wouldn't be lying.

your wallet.

I have an Asus PG279Q (IPS, 1440p, 165Hz, Gsync) and it's great.
Some people had problems with backlight bleed on the early units but mine is flawless, so if you take the plunge go for a more mature model and not something brand new

How legit it's the bitcoin mining at the moment? I got a cousin asking our family for 10k euros to buy some mining hardware and he say's that it repays itself in less than 3 months.
How much full of shit is he? Should I call him out on it?

what does this creators update do?
its telling me to review settings before updating
will it fuck anything up? should I not do it? cant postpone it anymore

I want to permanently affix memory to the motherboards of two of my servers, because my tin foil hat is huge. Which type of epoxy is my best bet?

upgrading my phone soon and i want one that i can use as a camera monitor for my dslr because the screen is only 3"

how do i find out if a particular model of phone can be used as a usb host (i think that's why my current phone can't be used for this)? googling the model number and "usb host" just brings up a bunch of links to otg cables on ebay/amazon

Just weld it you pussy.

Where do you download music for your android phone from?
and what format?

I already did that once and got caught. They said they would put me in prison if I ever tried it again.

Unless your cousin is Chinese, he has no chance to mine that back.

1.) Want to design my own theme for my android
phone (remdi3) from skretch. What language
should I use? Don#t want to use apps, that will
run all the time and fuck up my battery life

2.) I wrote some Powershell Skript for changing my desktop profiles. f.e.:
I have one for studying with only related programms and folder and just by running 1 skript it save all the changes and switches to my gaming profile.

Now it is very annoying to run the script everytime I want to change my profile.

I thought about something like a second taskbar with all those profiles.

The question is, how can I creat something like that. Till now I only programmed within the console with c++ or just did some scripts.

How can I desgin something like that and also put all my scripts or programming inside of it?

T

Which OS should I switch to?

Brother gave me an old laptop
i3 core 4 gigs ram, touch screen. The only problem is that it runs windows 8.

Windows 8 is one horseshit OS. Just upgrading to 8.1 took my 20 hours of troubleshooting and attempting to install the same update 3 or 4 times.

I was hoping for the Windows 10 free upgrade but that ended a while ago.

Chrome seems ok, but a waste of horsepower.

I am not a power user. I need email, web, word processing, spread sheets and ability to access my old MS files. I also like to manage my kindle library with Calibre.

What are your thoughts?

I've googled it, but can't find much in depth info on user experience, just stuff about Linux kernals or something.

so am i getting a worse binned gpu if i buy founders edition? whats the best way to get the fastest card?

Is there a way of easily capturing my screen and making webms? I've been using WebMCam but that program leads to stuttery as fuck webms for some reason.

Is this legit
Haven't seen it before and kinda scared since it might be giving me the nigerian prince experience

Also have a new folder on my C: drive called C:\Windows10Upgrade
I'm already on windows 10 though, and i've never seen this folder before when I was updating from windows 7

Is it possible to remove an ext4 partition on a hard drive i use only for storage and to merge that free space with the NTFS partition on that hard drive?

Eventually you learn to recognize that feeling of being too shagged to know how poorly your doing, then stop ahead of time. Meanwhile, wait until your tired and half awake then look at the code again. It may make sense when you're back in the same frame of mind.

Was following this tutorial youtube.com/watch?v=DIVfDZZeGxM and realized that 31:10 didn't work for me. Anything I enter in the field doesn't show up as a saved bookmark. Thought I mistyped but after I downloaded his code at github.com/bradtraversy/bookmarker, it still didn't work for me.

Any ideas what's wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

960 evo or 850 pro?

I need a new mouse, I had the Razer Deathadder black edition for some years now and I really liked that it didn't feel sticky after sweating alot. I''ve tested the Zowie ZA and the Corsair Glaive RGB, while the Corsair felt pretty good in the hand I'm afraid it will feel sticky after some time (anyone has experience with that mouse?), I didn't like the Zowie. I was thinking about the Steelseries Rival 300 but it looks like it would become sticky too. Any recommendations?

Is hardware programming the whitest?

in general pro is better than evo but in this case we have two completely different types of memory and you can see the clear difference in speed. just make sure that you have M.2 port
also think twice if you actually need 500GB

let me guess: scroll doesn't work

I'm troubleshooting a GPU. It's a RX 460. If it doesn't give any signal over HDMI or DVI, not even for the boot screen, is it dead and should be RMA'd or can something else cause it? I mean, drivers shouldn't be needed to display the boot splash, right? The fans spin. When I put it in a PCI port and my graphics card in the other one and run lspci, I don't get any results.

chinese deathadder, some of the microsoft mice, both are really good

Thanks I'll grab the 960

The Razer? It works fine after 4 years or so, but I'm getting arm problems so I want to switch to a bigger and more comfortable mouse.

That's Geromir Yashek

ahhh, okay then

Is there any way to have Firefox use the GPU for HTML5 video if it's available?

I know this is going to sound silly, but is it plugged in? I helped a friend build his new computer and it wouldn't display the boot splash screen and we couldn't figure out why. Turns out we didn't plug power into the GPU.

It doesn't have a power, it only runs on the PCI port.