/spg/ - Smartphone General - Dude, where's my Essential?

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Essential Phone is delayed
cnet.com/news/andy-rubin-essential-phone-misses-own-30-day-deadline/

Alleged Motorola Moto Z2 Force spotted in benchmark listing
gsmarena.com/alleged_motorola_moto_z2_force_spotted_in_benchmark_listing-news-26079.php

LG Q6 Geekbench Listing Shows Android 7.1.1 Nougat, Snapdragon 430, 3 GB RAM
gizmochina.com/2017/07/07/lg-q6-geekbench-listing-shows-android-7-1-1-nougat-snapdragon-430-3-gb-ram/

Nokia smartphones with Zeiss optics are coming back to market
androidauthority.com/hmd-nokia-zeiss-camera-tech-partnership-784937/

Motorola sets a July 25 event in New York
gsmarena.com/motorola_sends_out_event_invites_for_july_25_in_new_york_city-news-26064.php

Alleged Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact with Snapdragon 835, 4 GB RAM, Android 8.0 Appears on AnTuTu
gizmochina.com/2017/07/06/alleged-sony-xperia-xz1-compact-snapdragon-835-4-gb-ram-android-8-0-appears-antutu/

Honor 9 review
gsmarena.com/honor_9-review-1629.php

Deal: LG G5 on sale for $239.99 (Newegg) or $224.99 (eBay)
flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAAM85WC4744

ebay.com/itm/352049253484

old

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/image/dWKL6b4MeLoPte7ewPp64g
gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nokia-6-global-version-to-miss-notification-led-confirms-hmd-global-1721287
girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/
venturebeat.com/2017/07/07/lenovo-moto-g5s-plus-will-be-an-upgrade-in-size-material-and-imaging/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>everybody below me fell for the smartphone meme

We got it the first time

warosu.org/g/image/dWKL6b4MeLoPte7ewPp64g

>LG Q6
>gimped version of the LG G6
>less than 400$
>it may be even worse than the Nokia 6
>also, the street price of the LG G6 is close to 400$
Nokia 6 when?

Is the HTC 10 strong enough to last maybe one or two years?

I'm buying my first phone but I'm trying not to buy a fucking brick.

Just give me something that can run Spotify and Google maps decently please, I'm tying my hardest, know what I'm saying?

Why do people say things like "2GB of RAM isn't enough"?

I am using my phone only for messaging, listening to music and navigation. I am using an old Sony Xperia with 1GB of RAM and it works surprisingly well and it's snappy.
Now I want to get an LG Nexus 5 and saw those comments. Surely it can't be worse than my current Xperia phone, right? It can only get better?

>Nokia 6 when?
July 10th is what it says on Amazon

wew that's sad

Hey guys, I'm the guy who's been shitting on /spg/ for the past 7 threads. Finally decided to get an LG G5, may get an extra battery if needed. Any LG G5 owners who can tell me how it performs for them?

tell me why i shouldnt buy a zuk z2 pro

Getting a huawei p10. How fucked up of a decision did i make?

Paid around 200 usd for it, with a two year contract that costs me 20 usd a month

great but ips display does not cut it went back to my axon 7 really nice dac tho.

I've never owned an apple product. But if the iphone8 turns out to have more screen to body ratio than any other phone currently in the making, I'm considering getting one.

I don't root my android phones, never found a use for the risk and effort.
Will I lose anything making the switch?

Isn't the screen 1440p in resolution? Even then I don't mind the AMOLED things on Samsung and others (Acutally am coming from a broken screen Galaxy Note 2)

Your decency

>Galaxy S8 Mini turned out to be a false rumor

gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nokia-6-global-version-to-miss-notification-led-confirms-hmd-global-1721287
>Nokia 6
>HMD Global decided to remove the notification led
What a courageous decision.

>le manlet who needs minis for his tiny hands

>xz1 compact with SD 835
I mean that's nice but it will also be fucking expensive. I guess I'll go for the x compact then.

Even a $100 phone will run Spotify and and Google maps decently.

Well it all depends on how you use your phone, also older versions of android are usually lighter on the memory usage.

I've got a tablet with 2gb ram and a phone with 3gb ram, both on stock android 7.0, and there's a noticeable difference in the amount of apps/browser tabs that they can keep in memory. If it was my phone that only had 2gb ram I'd find the constant reloading of apps and tabs incredibly frustrating, but the tablet is mainly for watching vidya so it doesn't matter that much.

So if you're using your phone just for basic phone stuff, 2gb ram is still fine, but if you want to do anything more than that (games/social media etc.) I'd really recommend 3gb ram minimum.

Requesting purchasing advice

France, Bouygues telecom, 64gb+ internal memory, 300~350 euros, less is good too, I don't care about the size.

Will the nokia 8 be phone of the year?

any LeEco owners here? whats the standard rom like on it? Is it as turd as miui?

This phone is so pretty.

Had it for 2 weeks now and still can't get enough of it

is she a virgin

What is it?

What's the objectively best phone under $150?

my s7 has gotten to the point where it hurts to hold because it gets so hot and the battery lasts an hour

S8 or S8+

Redmi Note 4 Global

Global means it has US bands and shit right?

What would you suggest for someone who had a Moto X Style 2nd gen? The battery is so trash I have to use it at minimum brightness
Carrier: Lebara
Features req.: Fast enough to run latest 3D games although I dont play any. Good Camera, Shouldn't get too slow when I install many apps
Size: Any big phone as long as it doesn't encroach on phablet territory

Or should I save up and just get an S8? Or wait for google's next phone? Should also have a good camera since I'm getting aesthetic (t-thanks /fit)

>ever using a phone at anything above minimum brightness anyway

>Finally decided to get an LG G5
I would advise against it.
girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/
>Individuals potentially affected include:
>All individuals within the United States who purchased at least one LG G4, LG V10, Nexus 5X, LG G5, or LG V20 phone from LG or its authorized retailers.

Only some. Check your carrier and see if the phone had their frequencies.

I just tried the pixel in a store and it looks and feels really nice desu. If it weren't so disgustingly expensive I'd probably get one

Say it with me:
ESSENTIAL DOA

Any opinions on the XA1 Ultra?

yes but not for LTE for the big three carriers (Tmobile, ATT, Verizon)

Essential DoA

That smartphone is just a flagship tier memephone, with literally nothing to differentiate it from the competition, and probably with some engineering flaws, pretty much like the OP5.

Nowadays I'm way more excited for new low-midrange products: processors trade computational power (which is overkill anyway) for low power consumption, meaning battery lasts longer, they don't have that stupid glass back, meaning they're waaay more durable, they're packed with stock android, and are much cheaper than flagships.

I mean, why should I even spend $700 on a flagship? What do they give you more than a 200~300 bucks phone?

her butt is smelly

:(

pls help

Xiaomi redmi note 5 coming when?

Soon. There're already leaks here and there and on some poo in loo sites

Can Xiaomi please just make the Redmi Note series with an amazing camera equipped with OIS?

Anything about battery size?

Do you never go outside?

can anyone recommend me a phone? I want to upgrade from a s3 which I've had since it came out.

The missus recently got a one plus 3 which I like a lot but it'd be too big for me. Ideally I wouldn't want the new phone to be much bigger than the s3.

requirements: upgrade in RAM/speed, good screen quality, not too big. Bonus if it can dual-sim. Budget/carrier not an issue.

I don't follow it so no idea. Maybe google name of the phone for rumors or browser gsmarena for speculations.

HTC is the most stock phone you can get if you don't count Pixel, they've upgraded M9 up till Nougat on a 3 years old phone , so the 10 will probably last a while. Not the best camera but it's decent if you plan on taking pictures. And it got a good DAC for headphones.

m9 is 2 years old m8 3 years

>tfw considering going back to Marshmallow because muh Xposed

Should I?
Not being able to use a couple of incredibly useful modules is such a pain.

Yeah my mistake, it will still last until 2018 what one can count on, can't know if they will upgrade it till Android O

HTC updates only for 2 years the flagship devices.

Yes but it will still be good after the last upgrade and will hold on +1 year unless you really need the latest upgrade which usually has slow rollout on most devices you buy, took Nougat quite sometime after the release to finally show up on any upgradeable devices.

I still use my htc one m8. Looking to buy xiaomi redmi note 5 maybe when it's comes or some another phone with +4000mAh battery.

What's the best music player, that will also play music off the SD card?

Aimp

I've wondered the same.

The biggest drawbacks I see are being forced to use iTunes for some things and not as good of an access to the file system on iOS, but supposedly ios11 improves on that.

Another drawback is Google Drive integration. It's nowhere near as good on ios.

If the iPhone7s comes out this year with upped specs and they remove the button / add an under the screen finger print reader then I'm probably going to buy that.

I am so sick and tired of Android fragmentation.

>just bought Redmi Note 4
>the chinkjews already have the next model ready
I'm still happy with this thing 2bh
By the way does anyone know if Note 4 Global is going to get MIUI9?

Something of a curiosity question here, is there anything on android to get as good an integration with the phonebook and answer phone as in iphones?

Being able to see who has left a phone message without having to go through the shitty "call 123, 9 message, slowly present all 9, 8 of which are empty noise and pocket dials, press 3 to delete" shit seems like a decent boon. Everyone seems to forget actual phone capabilities these days and seem to think the camera and video game functions are more important.

is repairing cheaper in android phones than iphones ?

Which year is 2nd gen? I have a Pure 2015 and am sick & tired of using shitty custom ROMs and waiting for the official Nougat update. Lenovorola can suck a fuck.

Personally I'm considering getting a G5+ for a while until the Pixel 2 and iphone 8 come out, thereby lowering the prices of everything else and I can afford a real flagship.

Dunno about you but while the S8 is ((le pretty phone meme)), it's prohibitively expensive, and plus locked bootloader -_-

What would you recommend as replacment for nexus 5?

Someone pls give me a single reason to upgrade from my AOSP redmi note 3 pro.
Cause I can't find one.

Moto G5 Plus is the best phone with around those requirements in Australia and has Lebara's bands. The camera is the best in the price range and can run majority og 3D games well.

Red-pill me on the LG V20

Do I but OnePlus 5? Got a Moto G4+ right now. It going burned pixels after using for like, 10 minutes but dumb fucks at the service didn't get my description of the fault for some reason and didn't fix shit. I don't feel like sending it back one more time and not having a phone for next 3 weeks. Especially after they got my fucking address wrong and I got my phone back even later than normal.

Please don't buy the OP5.

What's wrong with it? I've been using solely Moto G's until now and feel tired of them. However I don't want to play a thousand europesos for a phone.

Country/Carrier:
US/T-Mobile
Size:
Doesn't matter, nothing excessively large though.
Storage:
64GB or 32 + SD Card Slot
Uses:
To do list, calling, texting, social media, etc. No games so I don't need a fantastic processor.
Other things:
I would like it to have good custom ROM support, mainly stable Lineage, or a good bloatfree stock ROM. Preferably also 3/4+ GB of RAM.
Budget:
$400, although I can stretch further if necessary.

Literally every tech site on the internet is shitting on OP5, and probably justifiably.

I won't go into the cheating in benchmark/paying off camera review site/no stock at launch/support staff/speaker direction issues because they're aren't related to the phone hardware itself.

There are three deal breaking hardware issues:
- Jelly scrolling. You can check any of like 100+ videos out there. OP5 screen is mounted upside down. Why is that a problem? Because screens usually refresh from up to down. human reading direction is up to down. When these two are not the same, you notice refresh artifacts.
- Camera quality. OP3T has OIS. OP5 doesn't. And the downgrade in quality shows in benchmarks. OP3T was advertised as a flagship killer. It was. While OP5 was advertised as a phone with a good camera. It wasn't.
- It looks like iPhone 7. Appearance wise it's now on par with shit tons of chink iPhone copies out there.

I saw a few reviews and all positive so kinda surprised here. I don't browse for reviews unless I'm planning to get a new phone so I don't really know trusted sites though. Camera and iPhone like design aren't much if a problem for me but damn, that jelly. Why don't those fuckers install the screen the normal way instead? I'm really close to getting that phone. What else you guys recommended in the same price range? I'm in Netherlands on T-Mobile mobile.

>Why don't those fuckers install the screen the normal way instead?
Presumably they get one more port if they orient the screen this way.

>What else you guys recommended in the same price range?
If you still want a Oneplus people will tell you to get a used OP3T. But you should list your preferences (screen size, bezel/bezelless etc...)

Factory reset maybe?

Something around 5-5.5 inch, preferably smaller than G4+, was considering OP5 because it's thinner than G4+. Thin bezels are sexy and I like the buttons under the screen so I don't get a navbar. Expandable storage isn't a must of it's at least 64GB but I'd like something fast but not too expensive.

guys give me one reason to convert to android (from iphone)

>helio as socc

RIP roms, other than that it looks nice.

Should I get a Honor 9?

Root, substratum, custom ROMs, Xposed, freedom to install any applications via apk files, adb (over the network!), "adb pull", no need for iTunes to send/receive files, more options for a phone, sometimes MicroSD card slot, sometimes removable battery...

The list goes on and on.

Anyone with a OP5 have thoughts to share on it so far?

You need to type your text upside down so they can read it.

just unlocked my 2014 moto Sup Forums and flashed Lineage, haven't had root since my ancient HTC G2

redpill me on the must-have apps (root or otherwise) preferably from f-droid

*TO ANYONE PLANNING ON GETTING THE HEAVILY SHILLED MOTO G5 PLUS*

Hold off a little bit. I was planning on it too but apparently the upgraded models, the G5s and G5s plus, are to be announced on the 25th of July. Literally had no idea.

Sucks because I really need to upgrade my aging Moto X Pure 2015 (still on marshmallow 6.0) but keep finding legit reasons to hold off just a bit longer.

T-mobile had a visual voice mail app that works just fine. Don't know about other phones or carriers.

venturebeat.com/2017/07/07/lenovo-moto-g5s-plus-will-be-an-upgrade-in-size-material-and-imaging/

pretty interested in the G5S+ personally, I just want 5.5" FHD, midrange specs and decent dual camera for muh bokeh meme etc

will have to see how it's priced though

best rom for GS4? currently using resurrection remix and it's alright. used to run cyanogenmod before it became lineage

i9505 variant (canadian i337m, but functionally the same thing) btw

People on this thread recommended the LG V20 and the LG G5, most people I've seen didn't report a bootloop issue for these.

What does /spg/ think about Andy Rubins Essential phone

>no notifications for Google Keep or any other "list" app unless that specific app is open

How do I override this?

>OP3
>latest security update
>already tried going into all my settings and turning off any Doze or battery optimizations
>not rooted, unlocked boot

Can you unlock the botloader on Motorola's these days?

Ok, so apparently the LG G5 has the bootloop issue. Any flagship-like alternatives around $250 that I could get at a brick-and-mortar store?

How's the screen on the LG G5? I heard it has a really good LCD display but how does it compare to AMOLED displays? Also, isn't the max brightness on the LG G5 pretty low?

Should I get the bb passport

Should i get an iphone SE or wait to see if there's an SE 2 coming out this year?

>tfw verizon is only carrier that gets a good signal where I live
>don't want to get a phone that's locked to one carrier
Fugggg, pls help

Which upcoming SD660 phone is best recommended, in terms of brand reliability and specs?
The majority of these have similar specs, storage and RAM, but which brand has the fastest storage and memory speeds, best camera reliable updates, quality screen etc etc

Redmi note 5
Moto X4
Asus zenfone 4
Oppo R11
Galaxy C10

That's all I know of so far
Currently most interested in redmi and moto, Galaxy sounds interesting but the moto and galaxy will be more expensive, and the note 5 has a much bigger battery, but I've had a note 3 and it fucked on me exactly 2 weeks after the warranty went out which makes me a little worried about getting China phones

Yes