IoT / AVR MCU Thread

ESP8266, Arduino, Raspberry Pi.

What projects are you guys working on ?

Im working on a WiFi connected relay board for floodlights, that can have schedule uploaded and stored on the flash chip.

I also have a bunch or PIR motion sensors, reed switches, temperature sensor and soil moisture probes that i have no idea what to do with... ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DToXdymGX3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'ma build myself a motion sensor which can trigger my EOS700D so I can take photos of myself riding my dirtbike kek

I put an ESP8266 and a relay in a fan so I can turn it on from bed

I honestly can't think of much more to do with them then use them as wifi-controlled switches

cool, you could also use a laser pointer and a photo cell to make a trip beam circuit if u want to hit the focus spot perfectly.

Playing with my PIR sensor i find there can be up to 1 second delay before it triggers, and sometimes not, it seems random.

PS:
I also use my raspi2 as a blog, openvpn server and to turn on and off my printer via 433mhz shits and remote controlled outlets with rcswitch library
I actually made such a dumb script:
#!/usr/bin/zsh
ssh [email protected] 'sudo ./rcswitch-pi/send 10101 1 1 | exit'
exit

Gotta make something nicer sometime, but it just werks though

No it actually doesnt really matter desu.
I've made a simple circuit with which I can make timelapses.
Used that one when I made sports and this was kind of retarded, because I was in picture for like 5 seconds and 30 seconds outside, which gave A LOT of useless pics.
That's why I want a motion sensor now too.

cant show the display interface right now lel, because something seems to be broken. Hopefully just the PCB is fucked and not the display

Hey anons, I need some help, or a shove in the right direction, with displaying a minimal version of something like htop from raspbian on an esp8266 on a 128x64 display.
I'm pretty new to using Linux, and couldn't find anything myself, so be gentle.

you should code and design a screen layout for the small display and then have some code accept parameters through some API. then have a script on the server that takes the needed info and sends it to the esp8266

This.
Or just run a small webserver with an api on that raspi which serves you all values and let the ESP connect to it every once in a while.

Thanks, this has made it somewhat simpler.

But, from about half an hour ago to now;
>NodeMCU LED won't light up, nothing responding, try other connection, arduino powering it instead or usb to til module.
>Try 5V instead of 3V, still nothing.
>Connecting it via microusb again after trying with other power sources
>it starts toasting

Now that two of the resistors have turned into dust I've realised I should pay more attention to voltages and buy more than one of something incase of autism.

Also, what would be the best way to power it seeing as this didn't work?

Just got my boards from OSHPark and soldered all the components, it's a little "dev" board I made for a PIC MCU

When you connected via USB at first, did your computer recognize the device?

I just recently made this. An ESP8266 powered hardware video game music player featuring the SN76489 PSG chip (Sega Master System, BBC Micro, etc.)
youtube.com/watch?v=DToXdymGX3Q

Nothing showed up, but in the arduino IDE it did see something connected to com5 and then in Putty when connecting to serial com5 it atleast didn't say it couldn't connect.

woah, nice build man!

ESP8266's are 3v3 logic, the NodeMCU boards are powered over 5v USB but that is stepped down with a voltage regulator before reaching the ESP chip. they also use quite a lot of power and i dont think powering it from an arduino will be enough.

you also need to be careful to make sure you do not miss match logic levels. ie. sending 5v data to a 3v3 chip = blown chip.

Yeah, I was thinking that because the chip itself only had vcc and no distinction between 3v3 or 5v it'd be alright, but it clearly wasn't.
Next time I'll make sure I don't toast a chip because of being careless with power.

On that note; would a cheap step down buck converter be reliable enough to use as variable power supply?

Friendly reminder, if you use PIC, do everyone a favor and kill yourself.
Thanks.

Have a motion sensor get triggered when something comes in the mail, opening a faucet, which fills up a bucket of dirt, which triggers a moisture probe and have it then send you a message that your faucet's still on.

I would like to build my own system, a ppc64 mcu / processor, a compatible interconnect, maybe even PCI