"Are you user? We must inspect all of your electronic materials. If you have anything encrypted...

>"Are you user? We must inspect all of your electronic materials. If you have anything encrypted, you must give us your passwords or else you will be taken into custody until you decide to comply. Do you understand? Follow me, the police are waiting for you."

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lead the way, I have nothing to hide.

They sometimes plant stuff when they get frustrated about not finding anything incriminating.

What are you talking about it's supposed to not boot. It's not encrypted. Prove it's encrypted.

>Are you user?
i dont know, youre holding my passport. am i?

What fucking country am I in?

Land of the '''''free'''''

Wait what why am i traveling to a country without freedom at all and with stupid shit like data caps in the first place?

Excuse me I'll go back to my country kthx

That's why I'll move all my interesting files outside of my laptop and smartphone before any foreign trips involving airplanes. I'll be the fucking MR PERFECT CITIZEN.

I'm a US citizen, and I don't leave the US for any reason. I don't have to give you shit. Furthermore, even if I was returning to the US, you still can't make that demand. All you can do is detain me long enough to copy my encrypted hard drive, which you are welcome to do.

I'm a femanon, so by default I'm innocent.

pfft, get me a lawyer

silly usaian. your border/any point of entry are a constitution-free zone.

they can detain you for as long as they want
>inb4 AM I BEING DETAINED?

Any airport.

Just dual boot and leave an innocent system boot by default, dumb niggers.

What sort of subhuman country asks for access to your computer's files, this shit would have been considered a police state 10 years ago

>interesting files
you've sparked my interest, tell me about them

>eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017

>Border agents cannot deny a U.S. citizen admission to the country.

>Compared to people and police in the interior of the country, border agents have more power and people crossing the border have less privacy. But the border is not a Constitution-free zone. The powers of border agents are tempered by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, association, press, and religion), the Fourth Amendment (freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures), the Fifth Amendment (freedom from compelled self-incrimination), and the Fourteenth Amendment (freedom from discrimination).

Personal pics, like those with a gf or family.
Maybe some nudes.
Sorry to disappoint you user, you probably wanted some national security importance leaks from agencies or something.

Are they gonna slip a smartphone in my pants or what?

How are they going to plant things on my encrypted hard drive, presumably in my encrypted home folder, or on my rebooted and still locked iPhone without any sort of iCloud account (don't worry, my lawyer's phone number is in the emergency contacts)?

>purposefully fly through the middle east
sorry, laptop is in checked in luggage as per tsa regs

>get on plane and now have 12+ hr plane ride with nothing to do

>Not planning for this contingency by bringing a 3DS or Vita with you.

>Madam, you're going to need to come with us for body cavity search based on suspicious activities. Our scanners found reason to believe you are smuggling a phallic shaped device between your legs. Would you kindly remove any said device and walk through our scanners again.

>not having a copy of Mein Kampf handy for this exact situation
I've seen dirty movies with the same premise.

>user, why do you have racist and anti-semantic frog memes on your hard drive
How do you respond.

>Not planning for this contingency by bringing a 3DS or Vita with you.
now that apparently the ban is lifted on emirates and turkish, i either fly them, or have to dig out my unhackable vita and get more isos for my psp

or just fly ana, singapore, or jal.

I was really meaning the Vita more for pirated movies that you would delete before getting off the plane.

i cant stand watching movies on such a small screen. even my og surface pro is a bit too small.

IIRC you aren't given a lawyer at that point because it isn't covered under 5A (right to an attorney for "custodial interrogations") because they aren't interrogating you or under 6A (right to an attorney for trial) because formal process hasn't started yet.

kek'd

>Thought crime will soon be illegal
>Sup Forums will defend this because muh nothing to hide

isn't this the exact use case for veracrypt

You can't detain me indefinitely and you can't force me to disclose my passwords without a warrant. I demand a lawyer.

you got something to hide?

>Thought crime will soon be illegal
Oh sweetie, it already is.

You really believe this "nothing to hide" isn't just shitposting?

If you are a foreigner, they will deny you entry. If you are a lawful permanent resident, that can and usually will be brought into question if you don't unlock your shit. If you're a citizen, though, you don't have to do shit. All they can do is detain you to try and intimidate you, and, failing that, copy your encrypted data.

With all the normalfags here, I'm certain that a number of anons actually believe muh nothing to hide.

>2023
>get detained for electronics inspection day in a US airport
>refuse to decrypt or provide passwords for my data
>start an altercation with TSA agent
>call him an ass-pig and a fuckfarmer
>punch him in the genitals
>shot in self-defense
>pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital
>sparks a debate on the legality of this sort of thing (also international conflict because I'm not an American citizen or resident)
>end up being the spark that causes World War 3
>millions die, millions more displaced
>face of global politics is changed forever
>Canaada is still an irradiated hellhole a century later
>all to hide my Taylor Swift music and pictures of my waifu

good thing I use an iPhone

Doesn't have to be software. Maybe they slip a microSD into your belongings. I mean, I have a case for my phone and you could definitely fit a microsd between the phone and the case. I'd be worried about them planting CP on me that way if I was detained.

If you don't decrypt, and you aren't a citizen/permanent resident, you'll just be denied entry. They won't even bother to detain you.

Please let me have this, user. My life has no meaning but it would be nice if my hypothetical death (real one will probably be suicide in an empty apartment in 2030 or so) could have some.

If you're that bothered by it, remove the case and mail it home, along with your laptop. Then, when they try to plant an SD card, you can say, "I don't have anything that uses it. Why would I have it?"

>>/r9k/

They would try to make a case that I am a CP smuggler, or just plant illegal memes on me.

Oh alright, good thing I don't use a smartphone and don't take my laptop with me when travelling abroad.

That would be more like
>(real one will probably be diabetes in my mom's basement in the next week or so)

>"If I wanted to smuggle CP, I would put it on an encrypted cloud/email service, like Protonmail."

Pretty sure nobody would want to risk being caught with CP. The job can not possibly pay enough to take that risk.

FBI plants drugs and CP on people all the time. But hey, it's okay when the FBI does it.

I can say that but all the law will see is a dude who got caught with a microsd full of illegal memes.

>It says here you have no work experience. Why should we cavity search you?

Because I've been a bad girl.

Being on Sup Forums, he most likely wanted CP or hentai involving some stupid anime waifu.

>call him an ass-pig and a fuckfarmer
>punch him in the genitals
giggled

>you have to disclose all your sensitive data and pictures of your waifu to the TSA in order to enter the USA
LAND OF THE FREE

No sir you don't get it. I'm clearly white

They would obviously just lie about it, throw you in jail and hold a show trial.

>install clean laptop with noting out of the ordinary
>encrypt an external drive with dm-crypt plain mode
>use strong password, make sure drive is filled with random data
>"What's on this drive, user?"
>"Nothing's on that drive at all, officer, I wiped it clean. I have it in case I need extra space for photos or $EXCUSE"
>let them take an image of the drive if they want
>let them poke around on laptop and find nothing
>go to destination
>download passphrase for my external drive from my home server through seven proxies
>enjoy my drive full of lewd cartoons in foreign country

tell me why this wouldn't work

Easy.

>Boot into false-front operating system on a separate partition

If they get the feeling that you're better protected from them compared to most people, they just go ahead and plant incriminating files as a kick in the balls for hassling them. It's happened before.

>2017
>traveling to another country with electronics that weren't supplied to you by your employer

It's like you don't realize that those officers are going to download all the nudes bitches send you and steal all the dank memes from your private group chats.

I'm never taking my own electronics over the border, and never logging into anything personal from my work devices. Nobody gonna steal my memes.

If you're a US citizen they have to let you in, but they don't have to let your devices in. If you choose not to turn over your keys they can just keep the laptop.

Do they actually ask to decrypt in US airports or is it just shitposting? I've been through a bunch of airports including europe, Asia, Australia and even a few in the middle east. The most I ever had was being asked to open my laptop and nothing more.

>Travelling with physical sensitive data on you
Why? You can just download what you need as soon as you leave customs.

happens mostly to people working on important foss projects or people already on other "lists"
it happened to the cock.li owner cause some mongs had sent mails from there threatening a school district with bombs

So government agencies consider people working on things for the common good to be potential terrorists? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Governments hate anything they don't control. Which is why you should hate government, unless you want every aspect of your life to be controlled.

Encrypting the shit out of stuff and putting it in cloud storage/home server/whatever seems like a safer bet than physically taking an encrypted drive over the border.

If it's safe enough for the passphrase, it's safe enough for the data. If they can compromise it enough to get the data, they could get the passphrase and you've given them the encrypted data.

Doesn't solve the bandwidth problem though. A keyfile or passphrase or something is tiny. You can download it over the shittiest of hotel wi-fi connections. The same might not be true of whatever it's protecting.

True enough, but the data being stored on a remote server has at least a little more deniability than carrying it with you.

The reality is that there's no truly good solution for this.

avoid travelling in """free""" countries is one solution

True; it's because of shit like that (among other reasons) that I have no intention of ever traveling to the US. Some people don't really have much choice if they need to go for work, though, so we're back to "no truly good solution".

my password is
"I'm not giving you my password. It's definitely not 'cheesyface69' without the quotes. Definitely not"

Like to see those faggots figure that one out.

what encryption ? i just happen to collect random strings of gibberish in the form of computer files

sir we have some concerns about these thumbnails, just walk this way.

you don't need to worry this only concerns americucks

Something must have gone unbelievably wrong in my life if I'm standing in line at customs and immigration for non-nationals somewhere. I guess I really wouldn't be able to give them anything to check other than a cheap MP3 player that I would have no problem disposing of later and a dumb phone with no SIM card in it.

>If you have anything encrypted, you must give us your passwords or else you will be taken into custody until you decide to comply.
You can check everything you want but I can't give you any passwords since you don't have security clearance to check the materials on any encrypted drive. This is my id and contact info on my "office", rest assured that if we spend more than it is necessary to do an actual check I won't be the one losing his job and future jobs.

Go ahead, the password is "${MOM_NAME}${MOM_BIRTH_YEAR}".

>tfw it just opens the non-hidden encrypted volume and is a very vanilla centos 6 install
>tfw your real arch install is on a hidden partition

Legitimate query:

Can't you just mail your encrypted HDD's to yourself?

I mean, does the border patrol have cause to open your mail to check your HDD for encryption?

no, you can do that and nobody will give a fuck. If you are to paranoid, you could repackage it as a new drive and whatever you put on it, goes on a hidden partition.

>Sir, we notice you have two laptops in your carry on, care to power them on?
>Sure but they don't have any hard drives.
>Why not?
>I took them out and mailed them to my new address so you couldn't look at them.
>...
>I was told never to lie to border guards, sir. Do you have any other questions or problems, or may I go?

dude, move around with a drive with a clean install and noting on it and mail whatever you want.
Every time I see this kind of thread I always wonder what the fuck are you trying to carry across borders that you would be put in jail if they catch you.
Probably because most here even carry around CP on their phones but other than classified info form a company that would actually could fuck said company (or their users) up if it fell on the wrong hands or if you are in the military or gob and you carry around state secret shit, just don't know what else would warrant such paranoia.
I understand that the whole "I have nothing to hide" argument is retarded and even if I don't have any problems about people seeing my shit I just don't like it, but also I would not risk it to be thrown in jail on a principle if I'm travelling to a country that it's known to give no fucks about anything. I would not be travelling to that place at all in the first place.

End your fucking lives already you autistic dumbasses

They can also hold your device for an unlimited amount of time.

you seem to be doing a shit slow job yourself with yours since you feel the need to get into a thread and try to give orders to random people on the internet.
Post a bitcoin address or a paypal account so we can pay for the rope and you can finally get done with it.

>teleports behind him

Nothin personal, kid.

well?

>log into fresh Fedora install on my travel laptop
>unlock my phone with my fingerprint
"Ok, but I'll need them back soon. My work files and photos from the trip are on these"

Leave your sensitive information at home. Better yet, make a Raspberry Pi into a small home server and log in remotely to access any important files you might need while out of the country.

I'd sue the living shit out of them. I make weekly encrypted backups and store them on my home server. I'd use them as evidence. TSA faggots can get fucked.

Those meems are not anti-semantic, they're pro-semiotic.

Is SSHing into a home computer or VPS a good strategy?

Have a second 'clean' laptop for traveling across country lines.

>"No lol, im an American citizen and I have the fourth amendment."
>"blah blah you are subject to arrest blah blah"
>"Search anything you want but im not giving you the password."
They cant actually do this and this hasnt ever happened to me. TSA is a bunch of niggers.

I'd say so. Transmitting sensitive info over the internet is a risk, but A) you do that if you do your banking online or buy stuff from websites or email anyone about anything of importance anyway, and B) less of a risk than having the data on you on a physical medium.

I'm sorry, you must be after another user.

This.
Just put anything potentially suspect in an encrypted archive and dump it in online storage.

It's not that hard.

This is a company laptop and phone. You can take it up with our legal department. Would you like a phone number or an email address?

Have fun getting black dick in your ass.