Went to go look for some extra ram for my PC

>went to go look for some extra ram for my PC
>$201.99 minimum

When and why did ram get so expensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

About a year ago, and it has been increasing since.

Any more questions?

It won't be going back down any time soon, as the gooks have all agreed not to compete with each other on price. Add that to the surge in demand for DDR4 due to new smartphones and such making the switch, and things are even more fucked than the graphics card situation.

Glad I maxed out both my main computer already :)

>RAM prices fucked due to smartphones
>SSD prices fucked due to collusion
>GPU prices fucked due to cryptofaggots

I'm going to /wrists if this shit carries on into 2018 when I plan on upgrading.

>people only buy new PCs every four years
>oh, we better double those prices

NAND and DRAM/DIMM market price fixing.

>He thinks $200 is a lot

I paid $70 for 16GB of DDR3 RAM in 2013, $200 is inexcusable.

hahahhaaa rekt. got my 16gb ddr4 kit for $70 cdn last year.

I'ts more profitable for the RAM manufacturers to collude with each other than to engage in price wars.

I bought 16GB of DDR4 in 2014 when it had just come out and was really expensive. I then bought another 16GB last year when it was cheap. Combined it's around the same price of buying 32GB today.

Apple isn't looking so expensive now is it?

It is though

This. The Asians love price fixing-- this will be the SECOND time they have done it too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing

Dumb.

Manufacturers are making the switch to DDR4 and stopping a lot of DDR3 lines.

This means that, right now, both have demand and both are not making supply.

What will happen is DDR4 will keep tracking down in price and DDR3 will keep going up, barring some natural disaster or something.

>apple is infamous for charging highway robbery prices for ram and storage upgrade configurations
>for the first time ever $200 isn't that big of a screw job

>ddr3

RAM prices are high because of smart phones and collusion. It's basically Samsung and Micron making all the RAM in the world.

I got my DDR4 16 GB 3000MHz 15 CAS RAM for $69 last year :^)

Samsung has been caught red-handed for collusion before you stupid prick. It's not hard to believe that they think they can get away with it now with less restricrions placed on them thanks to south korea's PM being canned.

What the fuck man. Are you me?

Yes, they have. That does not mean every price fluctuation is collusion tardlet.

The exact same thing happened on the switch between DDR2 AND DDR3, but you were not cognisant at the time.

>Built new computer last year
>Install 8gb of ram, planing on getting 8gb more this year for cheaper
>I could have gotten 16gb of high end ram last year for the price of 8gb of shitty ram this year.

Fuck me.

I was also planning on getting a better graphics card too.

>Mfw i got 8gb of ram and a 480 for less than 300 bucks

NUT

fucking miners >_

My build was pretty similar.
8gb DDR4, and a 4gb nitro+ RX470.

It's a fucking beast and runs everything I've thrown at it like a charm, but I was kinda hoping to add a bit more power on the cheap.

this shit is getting absurd, wanted to upgrade to 8GB in 2 sticks and its costs like 80€ right now.

Its cheaper to get a board with 4 slots and populate them with 2GB sticks.

Price fixing and collusion.

Seriously, a bunch of DRAM makers were fined over it in the early 2000s and they're doing it again now because the cost of a fine is a slap on the wrist versus the profit they can make nowadays when damn near everyone in the civilized world has DRAM in their pocket and upgrade every fucking year.

You're clueless. What you're describing already happened, literally years ago, and DDR4 prices already came way down afterwards. The current price bubble has precisely fuck all to do with winding down of DDR3 and ramping up of DDR4.

>What you're describing already happened, literally years ago,

Wrong. It's happening now due to AMDs shift to DDR4 leaving zero new market for DDR3.

Jesus fuck

Nothing to do with miners.
Miners ruined GPU market
Smartphones ruined ram and ssd market.
But in reality at this point it's all happy merchant. Especially for GPUs most retailers actually have GTX cards in stock yet prices are still elevated into moon. They will keep it like this for a while because they have good excuse to.
Same for ram except it's not retailers but actual manufacturers keeping this shit up for their profit.

>mfw I paid 73€ for 2x8 DDR4 RAM last year
>mfw when the exact same sticks are 78.2€ EACH now

I dodged that bullet but what the fuck.

>Nothing to do with miners.
I know i was being sarcastic, but it is new to me that smartphones ruined the ram and ssd market, can you give me a quick rundown on the situation?

same here except it is for DDR3, comfy as fuck user.

>Smartphones start demanding lots more of DRAM
>DDR4 production lines can't keep up
>DDR4 prices skyrocket
>Smartphones continue to demand more DRAM

>pay $450 for ssd in 2011
>sata 2 ssd
>2 years later buy an ssd with double the capacity for less than half the price

And all what normies will use that ram for is posting shit on fagbook.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

android was a mistake