Fedora Unix-like computer operating system based on the Linux kernel and GNU programs

Explain Fedora linux to an Ubuntu user.

Other urls found in this thread:

fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Apt
wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Essentially: hang yourself you stupid fucking gay nigger frogposter.

Get a rope and hang yourself you fucking piece of shit

Why are newfags so easy to manipulate? Pepe is older than Sup Forums.

It's literally a facebook meme now

>F***book
GTFO, normie.

literally commit suicide immediately

Is Fedora 26 beta the one to try or it's too unstable?

I've been using it for about a week. There are minor issues with SELinux, but nothing show stopping.

What's aptitude in Fedora?

It is the one.

Your question doesn't really have a great answer. fedora is like the testing ground for centos. fedora workstation will come with gnome as the desktop manager if that is relevant to what you're asking.
If you're wanting to know the differences between them:

fedora currently uses dnf as a package manager, wayland by default (in contrast to Xorg), and since it is very similar centos, it would follow suit that the primary advantage of this distribution is that it is a packaged set of 'all the newest things'

Ubuntu is Debian based so you'll be using aptitude as the package manager, probably unity for de.

fwiw hopping distros is not necessarily the best way to learn about linux imo.
Instead take any distro and build something with it. Example : using fedora 25 -
setup a webserver on your machine that automatically renders time-series reports of system usage statics. Since you aren't in a large network I'd suggest something like a report for http requests, commands run as sudo, etc.

Fedora is where all the systemd faggotry that is slowly killing your distro is coming from. You can install the latest fedora if you want a preview of all the latest improvements that Pottering can think of for Linux. I think in the latest release you need to buy a USB dongle from redhat in order to read log files.

>Ubuntu is Debian based so you'll be using aptitude as the package manager, probably unity for de.
Are you saying that aptitude will work in Fedora too?
This dnf seems to be a basic apt equivalent, it doesn't show any package info.

dnf

Anything with an interface like pic related?

aptitude is for debian based systems, which fedora isn't. dnf performs the same/similar actions, but in a different way.

to answer your questions:
kind of, see fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Apt
to show package info you would use "dnf info " (equivalent of "apt-cache show ")

What's .noarch at the end of package names?

And why is it showing .i686 too when I'm on AMD64?

This package manager sucks.

>What's .noarch at the end of package names?
It means the package in question does not need to be compiled for a specific architecture. Usually that means it's software written in an interpreted language like Python.

>And why is it showing .i686 too when I'm on AMD64?
wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

>This package manager sucks.
You're entitled to your opinion. Even if it's a dumbass opinion.

Haven't tried fedora but i am about to try it because kali fucked up my grub.

Yeah having installed it I recommend to try Fedora despite the caveman package manager. Because all the software is very new and it seems stable enough.

Fedora is a great distro. I am stunned at how well this thing runs with so little effort. GNOME doesn't run as well on anything else.

Speaking of GNOME, is it easy to change the DE to Xfce?