How do I start using Linux?

I have literally 0 experience with Linux and I really want to try it out. I have no idea where to start or how to start. I really like the whole stigma surrounding it and I think it will be a great daily driver once I get into. Can someone recommend me proper guides or at least point me in the right direction? I am not sure if this is the proper general to post in, but your help will be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
ubuntubudgie.org/
xubuntu.org/
kubuntu.org/
ubuntu-mate.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

download xubuntu iso
download rufus
write iso to usb stick with rufus
boot linux

you learn it as you go even if you are illiterate.

elementary.io/
If you cant search for it, you need it to be simple.

I would recommend fedora or ubuntu

I would recommend that you start with Mint if you are coming from Windows. There's plenty of advice to get you started here: sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Giving you a valid reason to install Mint: You can install both Ubuntu and Debian software.
This makes it easy as hell to use when any program just works.

This:Start with Mint. So long as you have at least 4GB of RAM to dedicate to your system, you can go "bleeding edge" with Mint. My laptop that has 2GB of RAM and a celeron processor that sells for 3 cents on Newegg from 2010 only seems to hang when I open multiple web browsers. My 1st gen i3 processor and 4gb of ram laptop never hangs.

There's also a metric fuckton of support, and it's wicked easy for shit to look good.

I would recommend that you upgrade the kernel to 4.12, for added stability and security, though.

Use the facebook symbol distro

Trust me. It has an excellent media installer, a no non-sense package manager and pretty much everything works out of the box: ie you dony have to hunt down sound drivers

How is LXDE? I have a 2 ram laptop

OP here
Both my laptop and PC are rather high end as far as consumer computers go. Doubt resources will be an issue. I guess the general agreement is I should go with mint, so be it. TTYL.

Good luck. I'll keep the thread open in case you have some questions later.

go to linuxfromscratch.org and start reading.

The only reason for a newbie from Windows not to go to the latest version of Mint is system resources. Once you get the hang of things, you can go to Ubuntu or Debian without a bit of trouble, if you like.

If you are more familiar with MacOS, for whatever reason, Elementary will likely be a better fit for you.

Start with one of the following:
>Kubuntu
>Xubuntu
>ZorinOS / ZorinOS Lite
>Linux Mint (KDE or XFCE)
>Ubuntu GNOME

Avoid the following:
>Ubuntu (with Unity)
Unity is abandoned and GNOME will become an Ubuntu "standard". If you want to use Ubuntu, use GNOME, Kubuntu or Xubuntu.
>ElementaryOS
It's a shit distro overall. It basically took Ubuntu's code and placed it's DE on top of it and changed default software. Even if you're a macfag you'd be better off using GNOME.
>these desktop environments: Cinnamon, MATE, LXDE, LXQt, Unity
Cinnamon is a resource hog and generally shit. It tries to mimic windows UI but KDE does the same and is way better and more light. XFCE can also be customized to look like windows (see; chaletOS)
MATE is ancient and broken (at least on latest Ubuntu MATE). It has screen tearing (although XFCE also does). It's overall worse than XFCE.
LXDE and Unity are no longer actively developed, so bugfixes will be slower.
LXQt isn't finished.
>Solus, Arch, Gentoo or anything based on these distros
Memes.

If you aren't afraid of not using a Debian based distro, the best Linux distro is probably openSUSE with KDE. It's extremely stable, professional and has the least shit to put up with.

What you should know:
>Most shit doesn't need the use of terminal to work, but terminal is very powerful and convenient.
>XFCE will screen tear by default on most hardware. There's an easy 1 minute fix for this.
>The best DEs are KDE, XFCE and GNOME. Avoid everything else (until LXQt fully replaces LXDE).
>KDE is the best DE for winfags.
>Most distros are based on debian, so everything will work fine on each. The only difference will be default DE and apps, sometimes the UI will be setup differently despite using the same DE (look at Xubuntu, Linux Lite and ZorinOS Lite. They use the same desktop environment but look different). This only shows how customizable Linux is.

>ubuntubudgie.org/
>xubuntu.org/
>kubuntu.org/
>ubuntu-mate.org/
Try these out first.

I personally use Fedora. I just like the community and the software support.

Install Mint in a separate partition and try it out.

fpbp

not OP, but what about Suse for a beter KDE experience?

KDE is shit tho

It has good KDE support. Don't listen to this fag , KDE is the best DE.

>Memes
Just because you've only learned about these distros through memes on Sup Forums doesn't mean that they're meme distros or require hours a week to maintain. The people who spend hours a day fixing their distro have riced their distro up until it's unstable. I've had more maintenance problems on Ubuntu than I have had on Arch.

avoid distros that try to hand hold you. Ubungu does not give you a real linux experience. If you're going to have some kike preinstall bloat and configure everything you might as well install osx or windows. Whats going to happen is you're going to run into problem and won't know what to do because you have no recollection of setting it up. you are also missing out the best part of linux whcih is having the choice of putting each peice of the OS together and removing all the unnesscary bloat normies think is fun to put in. I have arch installed using 0% cpu whle idle and less than 700MB while browsing. I could probably get it under 300MB if I restarted. Ideal setup would be 32MB while not using a browser.

The bloat on any Linux distro doesn't come anywhere close to Win 7, let alone 8, or 10.

>KDE
>lighter than cinnamon

But it is.

I personally don't like it. Sure its quick, but the whole environment seems bare bones. You can't even change the clock to 12hr unless you know the proper syntax. The minimal I'd go with would be Linux Mint XFCE. I've been using it and it runs better than Xubuntu even though they're the same DE. Mint makes better use of it. If you can afford an SSD, it could make a hell of a difference.

>linux
its called the programming penguin

I really wouldn't recommend mint.

Reason to not use mint:
Sometimes when you're installing Ubuntu or debian software you get mint software instead with the same name but entirely different software so you don't know what's wrong and your dependencies are fucked and you have no clue of what's going on and the only real fix is to stop using mint.

Come the fuck on Sup Forums.
You've once again sent a newbie to use the most incompetent and broken Linux distribution that you can name.
Are you fucking proud?