/pmp/ Portable Media Players

Personal/portable music player thread /pmp/

Useful Guide(s)
• We now have a general /pmp/ guide maintained by you guys spit.mixtape.moe/view/46e30bac
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics, examples and excellent contributions made by anons so far sorry if I missed any!

News
• user tries chink players, but they pale in comparison to his Clip+ or is it because you're more used to it? • user's Zune HD still survives and has been running it since launch he can't get the software to work properly on W10 • user shows off his Sony Walkman Professional WM-D6C • Even though it lacks in gb user considers his Nano to be comfy • user reports in with a 3rdGenNano • user struggles to open his ipod • user purchased a FiiO X1 because of /pmp/ • user uses his rocker to record to cassette • user shows off his Sony Walkman NWZX2BLK • Tips on how to open a iPod Classic • user dropped his MiniDisc player and its in need of repair • user is impressed with the Plenue /pmp/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for IT OPENS.

If your media player doesn't have physical controls you're fucking retarded.

Who /xduoox3/ here?

Had to trim some news, wanted to add these /csg/+/pmp/ finds
• Walnut v3 to have a touch screen and 2.5mm balance
• Also a new Zishan uses same DAC as AK380 (which costs $3200)

Parts really mean nothing if you don't know how to implement them properly.

• user owns a Walnut V2 and Zishan Z1, prefers the Walnut over the Zishan We'll have to wait until someone reviews it to find that out of course. Curious to see if they're really keeping the same pricepoint of the Walnut V2 for the V3 even with a touch screen.

Sup Forumss thoughts on the Sansa Fuze+?

Who the fuck designed the controls on that piece of shit? Putting next/previous on either side of the play/pause button (though not necessarily in line) has been the standard for decades.

Would I be better off buying a ~$80 portable dac/amp and using it with a cheap flac player or android phone(I have a moto e sitting around somewhere) or just putting all of that money into something like a FiiO or one of the chinese portable media players?
(Totally unrelated but while typing this I came up with the idea to make an android ROM that basically turns the phone into a media player first, wouldn't that be cool?)

If you need physical buttons, the dap would be better, if you need streaming services, the phone would be better.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.
I'm saying is an expensive PMP a better buy than a cheap one(or a phone, doesn't matter) and an external
portable dac/amp?
How good is the sound on most of these commonly suggested devices? I would use it with sensitive IEMs on the way to work( I take the bus) but around the house I'd probably use it to drive my dt990s.

>How good is the sound on most of these commonly suggested devices?
Well my x1 can power any iem and sensitive headphone just fine without any hiss, but only puts around 8mw into 300 ohms.
It's enough for my hd600 to be listenable, but I doubt you could power anything at 600 ohms. I'm pretty sure an external dac/amp would do a much better job at powering devices, you can look up the power output of most daps and dac/amps online, so you can see for yourself which would be more powerful.
The sound on most of them are just fine, you mostly just need to be careful about the output impedance, the ruizu x02 has a very high output impedance which will change the sound of most things. Hopefully that answers your question

It does.
I'm leaning towards an ipod with an ssd/battery mod because it's easy to rubber band to something like a fiio q1.
How does high output impedance affect sound?
Just yesterday I learned how to figure out the amount of volume an amp can deliver through a given headphone so I'm a bit green.

>How does high output impedance affect sound?
Wherever the iem has an impedance spike, that area will be less emphasized through a device with high output impedance. I'm pretty sure nwavguy made a post about output impedance somewhere. I have to go to work now, so I won't be able to answer anymore questions for 8 hours

DAC/Amps like a Fiio Q1 or E17K give you flexibility. Use them as a DAC at home, use them as an amp with analog input, use them as a portable DAC/Amp strapped to your phone... whatever the fuck you want. PMPs usually also have good sound quality, but you forgo flexibility for a more convenient package. For me, the "better buy" is a DAC/Amp because I can use it as part of my home hi-fi.

everything on that pic is so disgusting

Is there any way to get Rockbox running on a walkman NWZ-E344?

Anyone have any experience with pic related?
Its a Philips GoGear 8gb mp3 player. It's a few years old, i've never tried it before and can't at the moment.

Is Phillips stuff any good?

I ordered a 3rd Gen Nano, I know it doesn't have Rockbox support but it does support ALAC, right? Is there an iTunes alternative that can auto-convert FLAC to ALAC?

Higher end DAPs have powerful amp.
Mid and high end stuff should drive most headphones.

Maybe gtkpod

I remember having one. It's not bad in quality either. It's fairly durable, you could probably throw it at drywall and it would be fine, just don't be autistic and throw it down on the cement.

Should I try installing Rockbox on this? I don't even remember the name of this model.

I am tech retarded, does the quality of the sound depend on the player or the headphones?
If the player, is it decent?

these threads and my phones volume buttons dying recently really got my attention for a nice cheap pmp again. but looking around the only thing I come across for some sane price on local second hand places, thats rockboxable with card slot, is a cowon d2, and it doesnt seem all that neat with no skip buttons and a touchscreen.

is it really that hard in current year to get a cheap worthwhile rockbox pmp

It's supposed to be brail designed so you don't need to look at it

ahhhh

Just got my PLENUE D and the silver color doesnt look so cool. Is the gold one better?

Kinda surprised a lot of people are getting this instead of chink daps. This is pretty pricey.

That doesn't support rawkbawks IIRC

Why do you say that? I don't even remember why the book is in the image.

So outside of a desktop solution and relegating my dragonfly to my phone there are tons of good options for a portable amp and finding the PMP to plug them into for use on the go would be trivial.
The Topping NX3 can do 34mw@250ohm, the FiiO Q1 can do 44mw@250ohm. Both $70.
Once you're at $70 you may as well just spend the $89 on a bstock magni but that leaves me with just the dragonfly for on the go, which I could sell if I went NX3/Q1.
So many options I'm paralyzed by choice. Need to do something though, dragonfly can't drive dt990 250's.

Hey.

its the non photo version with the greyscale screen. Unfortunately rockbox eats battery.

Anyone know some of the best rockbox themes? Also, is there a way to make text black on white so it's readable on light/dark backgrounds? I'm gonna start using my Sansa Fuze+ my grandmama gave me free during work, just doing some configuration… I got a 32gb SD for it real cheap so it's ready for the little bit of audio I'll keep on it. Oh and the screen cover is made of plastic and has already scratched on me… Blah. No big deal, not like I'm using the thing for video with the god awful display it has.

ive had my clip+ close to 7 years, im wondering whether I should get a clip zip as an upgrade or something bigger in size like a Fuze or Fuze+.

I love the quality of the clip+ as well as rockbox so it seems like a no brainer, but which one to go for?

Rockbox for Clip Sport when?

get coding son

I've also got the Rocker, got it last week. Well, it's not exactly the rocker, it's Benjie T6 - which is the same device and I'm using the Rocker firmware.

And I've also got a cassette deck.

The Rocker isn't hooked up to the cassette deck, though, my autism isn't strong enough to take that step.

when you code it

what's wrong with dragonfly?

Not gonna lie, my Clip Fuze+ with the touchpad is awful compared to real physical buttons… I recomend going away from it unless it has some major feature you'd love to have.

Rockbox works well beyond crashing occasionally, though.

Nice buy, I actually have one (mine's red). Awesome value for $2. Battery doesn't last more than two hours and sound is decent but not great and it doesn't power anything more than normal headphones. Still, I really love mine, the size and weight and the fact that it's got a clip on the back makes it a totally perfect device for jogging, lifting, walking to the store and back and so on.

The rather short battery-life is it's biggest issue. It's one amazing value apart from that little detail, it really is impressive that they manage to make a totally fine music player that's cheaper than a cup of tea. I actually use mine a whole lot, partly because it's so small and partly because I choose this over my better but way more expensive player when there's even a small risk that it could get stolen (like when I shower at the gym and so on).

might go with the clip zip in that case, the bigger colour screen + micro USB would be nice to have

> the power of meme audio

was rhw pluenue d memed on reddit or something ?

Screen is dogpoo, but it does have colors so you're right to that extent. Micro USB will mount the Mini SD and internal storage simultaneously.

But yeah, other than power and volume buttons, the "physical controls" are harder to use than a phone touch screen, and there's no feeling a touchpad in a pocket. I'm this guy btw:

nigger just order from aliexpress or ebay

Unless the player is some seriously bad chink shit it's the headphones that primarily determine sound quality.

>does the quality of the sound depend on the player or the headphones?

Both. The headphones is where you want to invest the most but you need a good enough player to drive them. A $3 player is fine for a $5 pair of earbuds and there's no point in getting a pair of $1000 headphones for a $3 mp3 player. Just go with some combination where the headphones are 2x the player or something like that and you'll be fine.

any good cheap pmp with bluetooth?

The Benjie T6 aka AGPtek Rocker that I posted a picture of above has Bluetooth (can be both sender and receiver).

I think it's good but you should take that with a grain of salt since I've just had it one week.

Further, at $40 it's not that cheap compared to things like the Ruizu 02 (but that one doesn't have Bluetooth).

Also, it's a bit heavier than I thought it would be.

iphone 5

How good is the iPhone SE DAC? How does it compare to previous models?

they are really amazing here are some proper lab measurements (not the exact model but same dac)

kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm

Not possible

I read that Rockbox 3.14 supports the Zen X-Fi now but the installer wasn't detecting the X-Fi. What am I doing wrong?

sandisk clip sport plus has bluetooth, if you used bluetooth headphones will the radio still work, isn't the headphone wire used as the antenna for mp3 players?

The Sandisk in the OP image is the one inmates in federal prison can buy. 8GB and songs are about 99 cents to a buck and a half paid for with so-called "Trulink" credits. I passed a lot of time and discovered a lot of new music with mine. Let my buddy have it when I got out.

fm radio piped to bluetooth headphones

wew lad... i think i just threw up in my mouth a little

you may of created a meme

so if I was walking around with this in my mp3 and wearing those bluetooth devices you wear around your neck you wouldn't feel jelous?

just you signal chain has two different sources of wireless signal interference

i could just imagine bt connection problems while getting FM multipath interference....*triggered*

still have an ipod nano that i carry around for FM... its actually fun with KZ iems

what were you in for?

Some small transporting stolen property charge. Went over state lines thus feds.

Didn't know you could do that in prison, kind of neat. Any idea why that model in particular and not a low-end Walkman or something?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was just the cheapest thing they could find in bulk. They have a contractor that set the whole thing up with the software, the mp3's, the special charger racks in each housing unit. The only real drag was inmates had to pay like $60 for something that costs 1/4 that on the street. For prison it was pretty nice though.

I have this thing, looked at prices on amazon second hand and it seems to be reaching clip+ meme pricing levels. Is it worth selling it? All I care about is FLAC compatibility and battery life

Sure, touch screens are cancer anyway.

This pic ain't fucking funny. I broke my clip that way

I've heard prison Sansa clips have translucent cases.

Could you buy that case and install in your clip? 3d printing custom cases would be an option?

can i put an ssd into a 4th gen ipod clasic?
i found one with 20gb storage for $30 and im thinking of getting it.

It's impossible to sync music to is via gnu-linux if you care about that. Apple fucked with it.

definately sell it unless you want fm or work in a secure area

fucking shits me how fucking locked down they were... i knew a few people that bought them expecting a jailbreak and cool hackable watch hardware in a month or two and that day never came...

also the sleep/wake button had an annoying tendancy to break and was impossible to repair

its potential and how hard apple gimped it make in one of its worst products in the last 10 years IMHO

Gather round gentlemen and let me tell you a tale of woe and retardation

>hear about how awesome rockbox is on sansas
>never bother to look into buying one because i was broke at the time
>a friend secretly gets me one for my birthday from the internet
>only two days before my birthday he realized the screen was smashed when he tried to install rockbox on it
>he gives it to me anyway with a free dinner. "I tried!"
>I make it my personal mission to fix it
>I've replaced screens in laptops before, how hard can this be?
>find 3 broken sansas on ebay in norway
>get them
>wait a month
>get a message from the seller that it got sent back to norway
>wtf
>tell them my address again
>they send it again
>it goes back to norway
>ask my post office what the fuck is up with that
>"lol i dunno sir"
>this goes on for SIX MONTHS
>finally get them and start looking up guides to swap out screens on the sansas
>literally one guide on the whole internet on how to do this, which is weird
>follow guide up to the last part
>"Now peel the broken screen off the motherboard and glue the new screen on."
>wat
>peel? glue?? this can't be serious
>look again for a guide on how to really do this because while I've never seen that type of cable before, I really felt like ''peeling' it off was unwise, but there are no other guides in all of google about it
>so I peel it
>the new screen won't work, I can't even put the old screen back on the old one, try again with a second FUBAR sansa with the same result
>realize the guide is ruse and i am retarded
>image related

I just wanted Rockbox.

You don't have any choice but to peel it anyway.
That said it needs to be peeled in a way so that the contacts will stay on the MB.
Really all Sansas have cheap shit construction anyway. They're throwaway stuff.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the back of them was clear as well as the belt clip part.

Would anyone on Sup Forums want an iPod Nano gen3, a gen 4, or iPod Shuffle gen3? I have them. They work fine. I just don't want them. I'm fine with selling them for BTC, ETH, LTC, XMR, or just mailing me dollar bills. I have a Rockbox device now so I don't need any of them.

Yeah, found that out when I was trying to add music via rockbox when my main PC was down.

I was hoping for eventual rock box support but I might as well take a gamble on one of the Chinese players for now.

iPods are basically dead for rockbox support.
Drop your hopes and dreams.

Apple ecrypting their shit so only speshial itunes can sync music to them is absolute bullshit.

With this in mind... Fiio X1 or Xduoo X3?

Or I could get a benjie t6 for around £20...

Chink DAPs have shit software but they are cheap.
If you don't care too much about sound quality, get a Sony E470 or E370/E380.

Both are rockbox-able.
Do you care about a screen for album covers? Then Fiio
Do you care about a huge storage capacity? Then Xduoo

Someone post the poorfag headphone chart
im too drunk to get out of this thread

X1 doesn't have a RB port.
xD X3 has an unofficial one.

I'd just like to remind you all that the PSP is, and always will be the best handheld system for all use cases.

Large PSP library + Emulation
Ability to watch movies and tv on a decent screen (considering size and resolution)
320kbps mp3 playback

Find a better device that can do two of these three things that wont cost a fortune.

My Vita does all that and better.
PSP is definitely not worth getting for just music, which is the point of the thread.

im having issues moving my music to my rockboxed/iflash boarded ipod classic 5.5. If i begin transferring it will work for a bit then suddenly disconnect. the ipod just unmounts itself. i did it thru DFU mode and it worked but when i went to play music it would start then just skip thru songs. I have yet to try adding music thru itunes cause i dont want to have to convert all my music. And yes i have tried this on both windows and osx, each times the same thing happens. would it be possible to take the sd card out of it mount it some how then copy? or would the fact thats its a micro sd to sd adapter be causing the issue?

>/pmp/ Portable Media Player Thread

Since when has media solely referred to music? Games and Video have their place here as well.

>My Vita does all that and better.

The Vita is a great device don't get me wrong. The homebrew development is still too early to consider it over a PSP though. Plus the first generation was awfully clunky, and those are usually the only ones you can still find with firmware versions that can be exploited for emulation. Not to mention the absurd price of the proprietary memory cards.

(I own both)

Forgot pic

How come?

lol look around you, see if anyone cares about that. It should've been called /dap/
>Vita
It does everything the PSP does though, in terms of software.
Also cheap mSD adapters coming soon.

ATJ based.
Nothing ATJ can be rockboxed.

dude adrenaline is a thing now though, so you can boot straight into the psp emu and get everything you had before.

Their batteries shit the bed so fast though and you can't get decent third party batteries, chinky ones are trash too.

what would be a perfect PMP set-up if not for my annoying ipod issue

>Since when has media solely referred to music? Games and Video have their place here as well.
stop right fucking there before i neck you

>lol look around you, see if anyone cares about that.
Bringing new ideas and devices to the thread. Being limited to music players is a little tacky. At that point you might as well take these threads to Sup Forums.

Yeah, this relies on a few things though when dealing with the vita. You must be on the correct device version, if not then you're out of luck as there is no way to downgrade yet (to my knowledge). You will also need a psp game installed from the store too to allow adrenaline. Which you should have installed before the next vita update came out. If you havent done this you will have to find a way to move a game onto the device through Sony/Playstation software. Which requires your vita to be on the latest version to run. Assuming you have gotten all of this, you will need to run henkaku. God forbid you turn it off or a game crashes while you're away from an access point, there is no way to run this quick restore offline yet. The PSP is more hassle free overall.

I've heard this a lot actually. It seems like my vitas battery dies in hours where as my psp has been in standby for days on full charge and only went down to ~70%

i got lucky with my 2nd hand vita
Battery can last on standby for 4 days on my drawer after 2 hours of playing ROR.

3.60 MB is $30. You have to pay but it's not as bad as the PS3.
PSP demos and minis work, so that one is easy.
Enso is coming in a few weeks.

Just about any Vita can last for weeks in standby. You got a dud battery or it's bugged.