/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About-ebook/dp/B00ABLEF4A
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm
changstar.com/www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,65.10.html
en.goldenears.net/12270
en.goldenears.net/8494
mega.nz/#!cFEChAza!hoyl4DR1hC_cmWYOWnAI6n8ocfjl9YvEAGBy77JKt-Q
nashville.craigslist.org/msg/6212000227.html
amazon.co.uk/Anker-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B00GZC35YK
amazon.co.uk/Betron-Wireless-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00N11SHI2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498837645&sr=8-3
amazon.co.uk/JBL-Portable-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B00TFGVULI
amazon.co.uk/Classic-Bluetooth-Wireless-Portable-Speaker/dp/B0091REETG?th=1
ethanwiner.com/believe.html
weiss.ch/products/dac1
head-fi.org/f/threads/6-panasonic-rp-hje120-surprisingly-usable.594945/page-3#post-13576623
amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56CM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1499641231&sr=8-7&keywords=external sound card&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for traps

75$ budget
Max Comfort
Canada
Phone + laptop + walkman
Shitty 2$ IEMs
Any non chink proper IEMS that won't gape my earholes?
I really rather not get chinked.

This is a reminder that subjective reports of >$100 DACs/amps having a positive audible benefit to audio are entirely caused by the sound of headphones changing with slight movements on the head. Don't buy snake oil, /hpg/.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Does anyone want me to upload the ebook of this? There's a .epub and a .mobi version

amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About-ebook/dp/B00ABLEF4A

what if I bought a DAC and an AMP that costed $200 altogether

>Budget
110$ tops
>Location
Czech Republic - Central Europe, but i'm open to shopping overseas if the headphones are sub 95$ - otherwise i get raped by customs
i still prefer something that is widely available though
>Source
Xperia X Compact mainly, sometimes iPod Nano
>Type of headphone
IEMs
>Comfort level
something that won't rape my ears would be nice, thanks
>Sound signature
neutral - i mostly listen to prog metal
>Past headphones
KZ-ATE - decent, kinda bassy, good for the price
AKG K240 - my current home headphones, love them, if i could get with a similar sound signature that would be A+

$100 is overkill for a standalone DAC.

WHAT ARE GOOD IEMS UNDER 100$

oh no..

is she a virgin

hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
$42 gets you this: alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm
Transparent. I'm sorry you overpaid for a DAC.

What are the best headphones for around $150 that don't require an amp? My headphones are finally dying after all these years and I need to replace them. Can't justify spending extra money on an amp, I just use my computer. I was thinking about the AKG551 because I've liked my AKG headphones in the past, but I don't know how well they'd work without an amp.

i'll just repost until i get actual replies
>Budget
Around 50$, but I want to save up to get the best I can, so recommend regardless of price.
>Location
USA
>Source
Fiio X5, 3rd gen.
>Type of headphone
IEMS
>Comfort level
Need to fit as comfortable in my ear as possible. They also need to block out noise, as I am often a passenger in the car for long hours.
>Sound signature
Don't really know. I listen to synthwave, rock, hip-hop, chiptune, metal, and still discovering many others.
>Past headphones
Using IEMS where the bass is really overpowered

Definitely. Go /t/.

HD558 with foam mod, HD598 is practically the same thing but without the foam pad changing the sound.

5pb!

HD558 or SHP9500
I don't even recommend voiding the warranty via the foam mod. It creates a very small difference in sound; like 2 dB of upper midrange response. They sound great without it.

Why would Sennheiser do this?

So they can sell the same exact headphone at two different price points and put a cheap piece of foam in one of them to make it sound slightly different. The point of it is to be able to sell the HD598 at a very high profit margin. That's capitalism for you; not hating on capitalism, either.

Are there measurements of foamed, unfoamed and hd598? At least FR and distortion.
I have a hard time believing this, particularly as the HD558 is more neutral to begin with.

Foam mod measurements: changstar.com/www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,65.10.html
HD558/598 measurements:
en.goldenears.net/12270
en.goldenears.net/8494
The GE measurements show the only major difference in FR between the two headphones is the HD558 has a couple decibels more upper midrange response. The Changstar measurements show that the foam mod removes a couple decibels of upper midrange response from the HD558. This confirms that the HD598 is essentially an HD558 without the foam.

So you guys don't answer questions about IEMs?
I really need a good IEM under 100$

I should add they're not really the exact headphone, but they're very close. The HD558's headband is nicer, so that's another reason to ignore the HD598.

Had mine for a couple months of normal use and they're fine. I can't speak for others though

Under 3k Kč you can probably look into the Etymotic mk5 (~2k Kč) for the "true neutral" sound or the Shure SE215 for something warmer. If you're ever around Prague or Brno, visit Audigo, they have a couple Etys and the Shure, among others, in the store for you to try out.

which one should i get. m1060 or nighthawks

Trips checked. I live in Prague, so i will definitely check out Audigo. Thanks!

M1060

Monoprice is only good for cheap cables.

Nighthawks. It does depend on what you currently have to listen to.

Schiit Stack, X2's, HD600's, M1060's.
At this point I don't see a need to get another set of open headphones for quite some time.

Nice selection. Very correct re:need.
In your position, however, I'd be curious about electrostatics.

so how much better are ath-im02's against my current iem (re-400's)? like obviously I know the build quality won't be so finicky, but is the audio leaps and bounds better?

Sell everything but the HD 600. Why would anyone want to listen to colored trash like the X2 or M1060

mega.nz/#!cFEChAza!hoyl4DR1hC_cmWYOWnAI6n8ocfjl9YvEAGBy77JKt-Q

Are bluetooth sets a meme?
Should i stay with wired or are wireless headsets any good?

theyre fine if you plan to be active ever; i know i couldnt run around without being bothered by microphonics. but skip if you just want to critically listen

X2's are for fun and mobile use. M1060 Revision were to try out entry level planar. They aren't bad, they just aren't great. But hey, that's what you get for 300 dollars.
I'm mildly curious, my issue is now that I've listened to neutral headphones I know what sound signature I enjoy. Warm with some good bass. I don't care if they are open or closed, but the X2's satisfy my bass needs while the HD600's the comfort and clarity with the M1060's having that nice planar response. Put all those together and give me a recommendation for the future.

Cool, much appreciated.

i definitely plan to.
what do you guys think proper headphones, in ear or not for going on a run, working out, or something that's really portable.

Also, i'm concerned health wise, since extended exposure to bluetooth causes cancer.

And i guess i'll also ask for good detachable wire stuff as well

$60~ budget
Good balance between not destroying my ears but still sounding good
USA
Phone
Only like IEMs, but want something with at least 7 hour battery life and will last a while

TFZ
Whatever series is in your budget.

Beyer DT1350 when I'm commuting or generally in situations where I cannot leak sound. The T90 for when I'm home. Both powered by the first gen Fiio X3, because I don't trust wheels on audio players.

i use jaybird x2's, and they're probably even cheaper now that the x3's are out. theyre slightly bulkier than i'd like since they charge in the bud instead of the inline controls, but they stay in when i'm running and the sound's serviceable

How do you see X2 vs M1060?

Thread was archived before I could say it, but much appreciate the help user (if you're in this thread too).

X2 sounds more fun, M1060 is more comfortable. X2 has an easily replaceable cable, M1060 has fast planar response. Both are easily powered, although the X2's are more easily powered. They are both different, and neither is blatantly better than the other.

I'm specificaly interested on the sound. What's so good about planar, as you seem to already have good bass in the X2?

nashville.craigslist.org/msg/6212000227.html

tell me why not Sup Forums

What's a good in earphone with a microphone.
Headphones really are hell in the summer.

wired earphones with cords that go from the back of the ear

earpods prob better for situational awareness unless you're mostly running through a park trail or only wearing from one ear.

personally i like the shure se215 and the rha ma750i

i've heard that the M1060 sounds similar to the HD650, is that true?

It's all scuffed up, and the pads are worn out. Depends whether that bothers you or not, because the owner clearly didn't take good care of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally a display model.

I could try to explain but more experienced people than myself have talked about the pros of planar.
Couldn't tell you, I've never auditioned the HD650.

>This product can expose you to chemicals including one or more listed chemicals which are known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

So much for the SHP9500.

looking for good bluetooth speakers. found these ones

amazon.co.uk/Anker-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B00GZC35YK
amazon.co.uk/Betron-Wireless-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00N11SHI2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498837645&sr=8-3
amazon.co.uk/JBL-Portable-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B00TFGVULI
amazon.co.uk/Classic-Bluetooth-Wireless-Portable-Speaker/dp/B0091REETG?th=1

anyone know which is the best out of these, or have any experience with any of them? leaning towards the first one the most.

If you live in California, you know that sticker is literally everywhere. Corporations would rather put an unnecessary warning on their products than get assraped by lawsuits and fines.

yea it's pretty much a joke when they put it on plywood

true, even a fan that i have at home has that sticker

Californian here. Prop 65 is bullshit. It doesn't require the actual chemical in question to be listed, nor the amount of it in the product. Many chemicals on the Prop 65 list have never been proven to cause significant harm in the levels in which they are present in product which must carry the warning label. Most Californians I know treat those labels as a joke because literally almost everything in California has those labels.

>good bluetooth speakers

The JBL is pretty good for its price.

What do you recommend as a portable source of sound then?
Yeah it's pretty decent. A friend has one but it recently stopped working after about a year or two, so I'm a little wary, but it's compact and sounds good so I might give it a go too.

>What do you recommend as a portable source of sound then?

IEMs or something portable like Koss Porta Pros

I'm looking for speakers.

Clearly he wants to share his music with other people.

Not sure if this is good to ask but any good ear phones? I prefer ear phones over head phones but my recent ones died and I'm looking for a good quality in both build and sound. Preferably under 100$?

Thoughts?

I think they are the best headphones I ever listened to, and comfy as hell too. Only problem is their weight and size - and with a 3m cable it's stuck at home.

They hurt my ears because the cups are too shallow

A boombox then? :^)

>and with a 3m cable it's stuck at home.
some of the K55X series have detachable cables so I don't get why other models don't. They're all similarly priced.

I also want closed headphones but those and the Fostex massdrop all have attached cables. How much more expensive would it even cost to add a tiny connector instead of soldering the cable directly

Even if they had a detachable cable, I don't have the balls to wear them in public (3-4inch diameter)

eh who cares if you're in a coach bus or in a private study desk in the library. That's what I need it for.

those are semi-private public spaces so you have a point though

Is there something like the Sony MDR-V6/7506, but with a detachable cord? I want headphones as neutral as possible.

>$100
>US
>laptop, phone, tablet
>over the ear
>Open or closed
>Neutral
>Sony MDR-7506

Status CB-1

MY friend bought them and they are honestly one of the worst full size headphones I have ever tried.

They overall sound was shit and the bass was disgustingly lacking considering that they're closed headphones. Al of the obvious good headphones destroy them. 702s,k712's,650,600, x2, random fostex etc.

Invest in one of those and buy a cheap amp.

>portable bluetooth
What he wants to share with people is nobass. Friends don't share nobass with friends.

>the bass was disgustingly lacking
You got a bad seal. They're known to have sealong problems.

K550 have well documented sealing issues.
>the bass was disgustingly lacking
You just didn't get a good seal.

what's a good amp/dac to go with the X2?

not even close, if you have ever listened to some seriously high end studio DAC's your little sub 100$ DAC will sound horrible in comparison.

I'm willing to accept that, but they were so lacking in general, it was ridiculous. Besides the bass issue, they just sounded horrible for the price. My only other akg experiences (702+k712) were both brilliant.

The k550 is one of the rare 'expensive' headphones that I would describe as nasty. They're fucking horrible.

ethanwiner.com/believe.html
Slight movements of headphones on the head change frequency response. Have fun wasting money on placebo.

it's just a DAC, all it should do is convert the signal without interferance. If you like your DAC "coloring" your music, then great.

Not the guy you're talking to but can you give an example of a high end dac? my dac is the fulla 2 and that's the best I have heard. e10k,fulla2, odac, etc. They all se the same to me. I do notice sight differences in amps though.

Im aware of that, what im talking about is Impulse response and THD, as well as the ability to drive even low impedance loads and the ability to drive balanced loads.

Fulla 2 is more than good enough with the x2. It's a great amp+dac and the x2 is fairly easy to drive compared to other full size headphones.

this isn't very helpful

This is one of the best i have ever listened to.
weiss.ch/products/dac1

>as well as the ability to drive even low impedance loads and the ability to drive balanced loads.
These are characteristics of amps, not DACs. You don't seem to know what the fuck you're talking about.

Just got a pair of these after my old earbuds died. About 9 bucks.
How did I do?

You won't find a more comfortable set of non-custom IEMs at any price. You did good. Refer to head-fi.org/f/threads/6-panasonic-rp-hje120-surprisingly-usable.594945/page-3#post-13576623 if you wish to improve their sound with EQ (HJE-125 is just an HJE-120 with a mic).

Actually i do know what im talking about. DAC's need to drive a load, usually the input of an amplifier (be they for headphones, speakers or other things). The input impedance of these amps can range from less then 600 ohm for some old tube gear, to several megohms. The cheap DAC's tend to not have enough power in their output stages to drive the low impedance loads, and thus result in distortion and frequency response problems.

is there something particular I need to watch out for? is an external sound card a total waste? I'm a total noob at this audiophelia stuff

Ah, i completely forgot about the oscillator within the DAC. If the oscillator is shit, the DAC will sound like shit. Sadly good oscillator (such as Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator or Atomic Clocks)

are EXPENSIVE1

is this a meme?
amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56CM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1499641231&sr=8-7&keywords=external sound card&th=1
what am I even looking at?