Text editors

what text editor do you use to program and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LandonPowell/Zext
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#technology-most-popular-developer-environments-by-occupation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>green text over black background
>vim
>gtk
Hi mr hacker

I use sublime for basic text shit and atom for anything involving code repositories because I am lazy as fuck and don't want to fiddle with third party git integrations.

eh i got the image off of google cause im too lazy to setup my vimrc

What does vimrc has to do with terminal font

Why dont you just kys and stop pretending to be something youre not on a fucking chinese cartoon imageboard

Nobody cares dude

vim because im an edgy retard

vim because it's pretty much "the standard". no other reason

nano because I don't program and it just werks for editing my config files

ed is the standard????

github.com/LandonPowell/Zext
>why
Because it takes less time to just write ocaml code for the feature I want than to spend a bunch of time learning vim/emacs and then write a vim or emacs plugin for it.

vim obv

Same here, nano is hard to beat. The only reason I can't use nano all the time is because I have trouble pasting text from a browser, but thats a problem with x-term I think, not nano. Anyone recommend a good terminal alternative that has a more dynamic clipboard?

Visual Studio, it werkz and I need it for a project I'm working on

What do you mean "trouble pasting text from a browser"? You have to use Ctrl+Shift+V and not just Ctrl+V. I don't know if Ctrl+V is used for anything special but Ctrl+C is used to terminate the currently running command in the terminal so most terminal emulator go with Ctrl+Shift+C for copying text inside the terminal which makes it logical that the pasting also uses Ctrl+Shift instead of just Ctrl.

technically vi is the standard, which includes smaller variants like elvis and nvi as well as larger variants like (g)vim

nvm I looked it up and xterm apparently uses Shift+Print Screen for copy and Shift+Insert for paste

Vim, so much so that I use Firefox+Vimperator or Pale Moon+Pentadactyl, and the vikeys in games where available.

visual studio code, because it's better than sublime or atom
vim is a meme

>vim is the standard
nope

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#technology-most-popular-developer-environments-by-occupation

>ed is the standard????
Ed, man! !man ed

Does anyone actually use ed? When I was a kid there was EDLIN for MS-DOS, and it was a bitch to use.

I don't know anyone who uses ed as a first choice. Not even COBOL programmers. Thanks for the memories, ed.

vscode and intellij idea

Emacs is my whole operating system at this point

I tried Emacs for one day, my pinky hurt and that was the end of that.

I used to use vim but then I switched to emacs with evil. It does a lot more than just text editing though, I use it to manage my tasks at work using org-mode.

Yeah, it's by far my most used program. It's also the only project I've ever been compelled to donate to because the amount of productivity I get out of it feels like stealing.

You may be interested in
git clone [email protected]:at-home-modifier/at-home-modifier-evdev.git

It makes the spacebar function as a control key when you press it in combination with another key.

emacs for the console
kate for casual stuff (atom if on mac)
pycharm and phpstorm for coding
kile for latex

>what text editor do you use to program and why?
nvim.
everything else is garbage and terribly inefficient.

Gedit on loonix, NP++ on wangblows

No better options for basics

you should use the middle mouse button copy and paste for the console (if not too much content)

sublime 3
it's shit because it doesn't have the combo-screenshake thing

I use vim because emacs is not as good out of the box.

why:
it just works
its the standard editor
I like it
its simple
I'm used to it

Elvis or whatever vi happens to be available.
Because I'm accustomed to it, which enables me to be more productive.

Elvis is nice but it doesn't do Unicode

keep the torch burning, friend

> implying you did actually implement anything that vim or emacs can't do much better already

though I like the idea of an ocaml text editor

tried to start emacs, but i couldn't stomach it.
might give vim a spin instead.

emacs is the only one true path to being a hack wizard

He means that vim (vi) is on virtually every Unix machine

Emacs

vim because I'm used to it. That and it's installed on every server I work with at work so nothing really changes from machine to machine.

why more operating systems don't come with mg, i'll never know
>mg is intended to be a small, fast, and portable editor for people who can't (or don't want to) run emacs for one reason or another, or are not familiar with the vi(1) editor. It is compatible with emacs because there shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi(1).

Nano for anything small, Atom for others.
Nano is best.

I mainly use Visual Studio Code for certain javascript projects.

When it's a smaller, simple (typically single file) nodejs script or I want to make edits to soemthing else then I use notepad++ with customize toolbar plugin which has a few custom buttons set to auto save things and run the open file with nodejs or other stuff..

I use VSCode because fuck electron and atom, too many people have their hands on it and bloated the fuck out of it.

Emacs

vim

because

vim

joe

Does anyone else use joe?

vim Athena because Greek goddess waifu

>I use VSCode because fuck electron and atom
is this a bait? I'll take it anyway: VSCode runs on Electron just like Atom does

are you literally retarded?
hi Normal ctermfg=green

you can even try it in the command line
fag

nano/sublime

Emacs.
Just werks.