Languages

Which ones do you speak other than English, and why? Extra points if Amerifat/Britbong, for caring.

>Spanish, duh
>French
>German
>currently learning Arabic
[spoiler]اله اكبار[/spoiler]

I am a massive sperglord and had no friends as a teen. Also lived in a diplomatic city so access to classes was easy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LNWB5SWGR9Y
google.com.br/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkv_CVl8TNAhWFCpAKHfT5Ct0QFgguMAI&url=https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usted&usg=AFQjCNHinJz-JzW4-jCNQkNWJdRW_IaReA&sig2=8-YwPpl1NL_V_u2wXLewsg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am an american learning Ukrainian(and hopefully some russian after that.)

I took french in middle school and just never really got into it, I'm going to ukraine next year for a few weeks on a solo trip and plan to spend time in rural areas at some point or another.

>Catalan. Mother-tongue
>Spanish. Second language. It's the country's language, as everybody knows.
>Learning Norwegian

>French

>I also learned v small amounts of tons of other languages
>currently trying to learn pretty much every language
>currently dying

Korean because of family and slightly passable French and Spanish

>Korean because of family
Hmm another diaspora lel. You live in New Malden or so?

No Newcastle I'm mixed and my English family is from here

>[spoiler]اله اكبار[/spoiler]
Let me guess, first day? You couldn't at least imitate the couple hundred 'Allahu Akbar's that people throw now and then on Sup Forums?

Well, best of luck.

Oh just wanted to check if you are one of those Koreans that went the UK in 90's and settled in New Malden to live in a subrub of London and so.
>mfw I actually saw a few Koreans with UK passport and all of them lived in New Malden and all graduated from either Imperial or LSE

Britbong learn currently learning french because my french gf dragged me here

German (native, Lower German dialect)
English
Spanish (Mexican dialect)

Learning: Croatian because muh heritage

Born in America, raised by immigrant German grandmother. Spoke German at home (low Saxon dialect)
Learned English in school. I remember that I couldn't understand people but I could read.
Learned Japanese when I lived there doing construction work.
Learned Russian to read Russian scifi books.
Learning Spanish currently because I live in California now. Helps doing charity work when you can speak to people.

>learns spanish
>Mexican dialect

Why in the goddam fucking hell in the twat of the Queen of England would you do that?

Because my future waifu lives there. Also, why not?

Galician, Spanish, English, Portuguese
Gonna start learning Catalan and Dutch next year.

I speak some Swedish. Still learning favä

Finnish

That and English is all I need tBh fAm

Lithuanian
Spanish
Russian

>Portuguese
Obviously
>French
Because of work
>Spanish
Same as above.
Are there any sensible differences apart from the vosostros/ustedes use and the obvious accent though?

>currently learning Arabic

Good to see Mexicans going back to their roots.

Imagine that I wanted to learn German, and that instead of learning from German people, I learnt from turks or rapefugees. That's why.

>CATALAN MENTIONED :DD
Any particular reason for learning Catalan?

The accent is horrible, and the pronunciation itself is horrendous. The prosody is subhuman.

I'm specifically learning Castilian Spanish because it upsets the Mexican Spanish speakers.
I watched some coworkers bully an El Salvadorian women for her accent. I walked up and joined the conversation and steered it to the few words I knew were different. When I said gafas instead of lentes, or coche instead of carro I watched the confusion, then they try and correct me, then I correct them. Since it is proper Spanish I get away with it.

This is why Mexicans shouldn't bully my little El Salvadorian coworker.

Mother tongue, Bulgarian.
Can understand Russian and Serbian almost 100%, speaking them will can come with a couple of month's practice.
Some basic German.

Welsh, possibly the most useless language I could've learned.

Spanish in the South of Spain is not much better than there, to be fair and give complete information.

"Proper" Spanish is spoken mostly in Castille. In the North (including Catalonia, my land) we have influences of our own languages, but I think we still speak quite well, despite that.

English and Swedish. I understand Norwegian fairly well and Danish is 50/50

Greatest ally.

Mexican Spanish accents in both English and Spanish is the worst. Spanish Spanish is the only correct one to learn.

Have you heard Spaniards talking in English? How do we sound like? (it can be difficult to imagine one's accent as perceived by a native)

really really flamboyant

>why would you learn the most popular version of a language

I took German in high school. I figured it would come in handy when they started WW3.

I haven't heard too many Spaniards speak English but what little ice heard sounds pleasant. Kind of like the French accent in some ways.

*I've not ice*

Trying to learn Finnish, but it's hard to find resources and hard to start with.

>>currently learning Arabic
>[spoiler]اله اكبار[/spoiler]
Disgusting

I see. Thank you for answering.
Is that a good or a bad thing?

>English (duh)
>Spanish (fluent because my nanny was from Guatemala)
>French (only the curse words, which I use to sound romantic for women)
>Korean (two years of high school)
>Japanese (four years of college desu ne)
>Chinese (curse words)
>Russian (taking Duolingo and online courses now blyat)

I think it sounds nice but wouldn't want to speak that way myself

French
German at A2-B1 level
Russian... eh I know Cyrillic and a few grammar rules I guess

You sound like gay Mexicans. All nasally and lispy, makes my skin crawl.

>t.pedro gutierrez

He'll get to enjoy nasheeds to their fullest.

youtube.com/watch?v=LNWB5SWGR9Y

>because my nanny was from Guatemala
Richfags get

>Korean
I bet you are from CA. I cannot imagine any HS outside CA will give Korean class

>How do we sound like?
You lisp a lot so it makes you sound a bit gay

>rich
Fuck dude, I had to spend a year of college more or less living out of my car to pay for tuition. Estela was a friend of the family.

SoCal. I really just took it to hit on Korean qts

Russian. Studied math there for a little while.

haha I understand...
Maybe we sound to you a little bit like Germans speaking Spanish sound to us (I have some experience with them). They sound "gayish" but cute.

>three months of japanese+Korean
>2 hours for each language every day+30-40 minute review for both
>hour for anki/depends on the newer cards
>memrise when I feel like it
>2 hour review before I sleep of lessons I've done weeks or months ago along with what I studied that day.

I get maybe 7-8 hours of language study done a day.
I told myself it would only take 3-4 years but this is getting kind of tiring 2bh and I'm only a fourth of the way done for the first year.

Enough German to understand others speaking, but not to speak.
Some Spanish.

Why would you binge-learn like that ? Just set yourself goals and rewards

>Maybe we sound to you a little bit like Germans speaking Spanish sound to us
I'm not sure but maybe
It's not the stereotypical fairy lisp though, you just don't pronounce s right

I'm getting old, in my mid twenties. I put off learning these languages for about a decade since feigning interest in them.

I regret it and want to become bilingual before I hit my thirties.

you won't become bilingual studying some asian language by yourself. even to pick up a european language which is much easier by comparison you need to be immersed.

I've got relatives in Korea. I've thought about living there for a year. I figured I might try after studying for a year or two.

Then after I've lived there for a year try my hand at Japan.

A decent amount of Spanish
A very basic level of French. I was going to try to live in France for a while so that I can become fluent(also because I'm a francophile), but I don't know how to go about doing that

Just go to Québec

English, of course.
Español.
It is a long road getting used to a language that allows this.
ábreme la puerta. me duele la rodilla.

>French- I studied it for 6 years, from 8th grade to my first year in college
>Spanish- I'm starting my first spanish class next week.

If I can manage to become fluent in Spanish and remain fluent in French, I would also like to learn Portuguese or Dutch.

What's the difference between catalans and eh... spanish(?) people?

ITT: duolingo

I've always heard that the Quebecois hate foreigners

There are historical differences. We basically have a different origins. Ours is not "reconquested territory". Well, it is in some way, but by the Frankish Empire, not the Asturians.

And of course the language. It developed separately. Catalan is part of the Occitano-Romance languages, along with the Occitan dialects. (In fact, there was no clear distinction between Catalan and Occitan at the early middle ages). You might have heard about Occitan troubadours.

I don't know what else can I tell you. Do you have any specific question?

Native English
Decent German from high school (used to be better though)
Currently learning European Portuguese.

I'd like to learn Spanish, Catalan, and Basque some day.

Even Americans? It's probably just a "snobby French" meme

Romanian (obvies)
English (2nd)
Russian (3rd)
Spanish / Castilian (4th)
some Portuguese and Bulgarian

Which language besides your native feels the most natural to you?

English feels natural as fuck.. I express myself in English (almost) effortlessly.
Spanish is a close second, even though I still have some trouble with the tenses.

Interesting. It must be nice to know so many languages.

I need to take up a foreign language again.

So you have quite diffirences from Spanish. What about customs, temper and traditions? Also is there tensions between you and Spanish?

I picked up French when I was working in Castries. I am smooth with le ladies now.

portuguese, spanish, french, german
get on my level abdul

TL;DR: Portuguese > English > German > French > Latin > Venetian

Portuguese - nativo. Pronúncia sulista urbana, mas imito caipira numa boa.
>Native. Southern urban accent, but I can mimic a countryside Paulista just fine.

English - to be quite honest, I write this shit better than some natives. However, I won't bother with its unruly and insane pronunciation rules.

>German
Ich glaube, dass ich bin A2 oder B1 auf Deutsch, die Sprache einfach ist uezs. (,,einfach´´ = einfachere Grammatik als Latein und Schreibregeln als Englisch. [Regeln von Englisch sind blutig und lästig wie von einer Frau.])
I think I'm A2 or B1 in German, the language is easy to be honest.
("easy" = easier grammar than Latin and spelling rules than English.)

French - j'ai étudié français pendant trois semestres, mais je ne regarde pas bien la langue.
>I've studied it for three semesters, but I don't remember the language well.

>Latin
Inter unum annum lingua latina studui. Amo, sed inutilis est.
I've studied it through a year. I love it, but it's useless.

>Venetian
My grandpa and me used to chat in a Venetian-Italian-Portuguese "mix". I still can understand it partially, I remember some words (mainly swearing), but I'm illiterate regarding the language.

>Italian
I can sing Bella Ciao without accent and I spam "cazzo" when excited, does it count?

>It must be nice to know so many languages
honestly I never think about it. I never get to use the majority of them irl anyway

Also, I refuse to reply back in Russian to people here (there is a sizable russian-speaking minority here) so there's also an 'edgy' part to all of this :^)

>Spanish
I know enough people who speak it that's it's beneficial for me to know enough to hold a basic conversation, albeit a bit slow.

>Latin
that's pretty cool 2bh

>>Latin
>I love it, but it's useless.
We're going to bring it back inshallah

hmm acho que a gramática portuguesa é mais fazil de alemão.

And yes, English pronunciation is hard. Estou a aprender português europeu, and that pronunciation is had enough so I can't imagine what it was like for my tuga friends going to English. Weirdly enough, one of them has almost perfect pronunciation and spotty grammar/vocab, while the other has native speaker level grammar but sometimes odd pronunciation.

don't you guys understand/speak Spanish by default?

Or is it the 'inferiority complex' all over again?

I watched an argentine movie with PT-BR subtitles recently. The Portuguese is so predictable as compared to Esp-Argentino it hurts. You even share the same phrases, same idioms, same sentence structure. They even use 'vos' (você) as opposed to 'tú'.

>spanish (...)
>barbotuguese
>german (still learning it)

Try not to be so annoying

>don't you guys understand Spanish by default?
Written absolutely, spoken only if they speak slowly. Some accents are easier than others.

vos is not the same as você. você is the agglutination of the expression "vossa mercê" (literally "your mercy") which evolved via "vossa mercê" -> "vossemecê" -> "vosmecê" -> "vomecê" -> "você". it's a third person particle (like he/she/it), not a third person (you).
vos in spanish has a different origin, it comes from the second person plural translated to the second person singular.

and to answer your question we don't understand it by default but it's really easy to learn for us. my grandmother for instance doesn't understand a word, my father understands a bit, and i watched a ton of spanish cartoons when i was a kid so i understand it fairly well.

Why are you learning only White languages? You should pick up Basque, Arabic, some native Brazilian languages and southwestern african languages.

Arabic (1st language) (don't worry, I'm no allahu akbar faggot)
French (school)
Learning Indonesian then Mandarin

>not a third person
i meant second person there

it's all in good fun m8

It is a cool language, specially for Romance speakers - to understand better one's own language quirks (like the three -ão plurals, some irregular verbs, stuff like that).

But well, most interesting Latin literature is translated to the modern languages, and there isn't a proper speaking community to interact with...

Portuguese grammar is easier than German indeed, at least for an English speaker... but the phonology (basic sounds) is crazy.

English is the only relevant language. When we conquer the galaxy we'll do it speaking English.

fácil*
que instead of de. de means of, which makes no sense even in english.

>my grandmother for instance doesn't understand a word
yeah right
it might as well be arabic for her, right?

I didn't say 'vos' and 'você' are related. I said they sound pretty similar.

We are usually "less friendly". A little bit less open that Spaniards. At least that's how I feel we are.
I've always perceived a "work culture", much more than in the rest of Spain.
And in fact, we apparently have the reputation of "jewing" a lot. We are business people.
Other differences might be things like eating times. We are less tied to the stereotypical Spanish late-eating. Many of us prefer to eat earlier as in the rest of Europe.
Our sense our humor is also different, in my humble opinion. It's sometimes compared to the English one.

Tensions between Catalans and Spaniards exist. There's a very big independentist movement. I'm o.k. with spanish people as long as they respect my culture (they often do not), and I'm not an indepententist because I think it's not economically worth it.
Ironically, many of those independentists are immigrants from other parts of spain (and their descendants). Some of them do not even speak proper Catalan.

>don't you guys understand/speak Spanish by default?
Written Spanish: yup, it's easy as fuck.
Spoken Spanish: it depends. If the other person is aware you're a Portuguese speaker and speak sloooowly, you will get the general meaning of the sentence, but don't try to understand Spanish speakers speaking among themselves.

My ex-gf even tried to teach me the language, but I never bothered because of her. [But yeah, I regret it.]

it's not arabic-tier, she understands some things obviously, but you need to understand their pronunciation is so different sometimes it doesn't even sound like the same other when it is written exactly the same

>the same other
wtf? i need to sleep. i meant "the same word"

Pls leave

How hard is it for a monolingual fuck like myself to live in Brazil?

our sense of humor*

> *j´étudiais français pendant trois semestres, mais je ne me souviens pas bien de la langue
it shows
Actually "vos" is part of a specific version on lat-american spanish, the one spoken by the guays and argentina.
Vosotros is the equivalent of Vós. And Usted(es) is the equivalent of Você(s).
Funnily enough it also evolved from "vuestra merced"
google.com.br/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkv_CVl8TNAhWFCpAKHfT5Ct0QFgguMAI&url=https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usted&usg=AFQjCNHinJz-JzW4-jCNQkNWJdRW_IaReA&sig2=8-YwPpl1NL_V_u2wXLewsg