Improved email experience?

I'm starting to think email might just be one of the best internet communications methods not only for tech stuff but also for fun communities. Just the idea that everyone has their own "address" and can still be lumped into larger groups through "mailinglists" honestly seems so simple and perfect.

However, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on using email for real discussion to me has always just felt so cumbersome, clunky, and even frustrating. Could it just be because I grew up with these shitty web-interfaces that try to do automated "smart" bullshit instead of using something like a terminal-based client?
Or could it be that some of us tend to think we should only have 1 email for everything so it tends to feel like a "mailbox" for occasional important announcements or something rather than a place to hold conversations? Or maybe it's that annoying standard of re-quoting the entire thread of conversation with each and every new message that gets sent?

What if all those annoyances were removed and using email felt more like just using Sup Forums even? Simple and intuitive and you could make as many new accounts as you needed for whatever?
Is there anything I can do to get closer to that experience? Are there any decent email hosts for this purpose or would I be better off just hosting my own email server?

And finally, are there any interesting general-purpose fun communities which use mailinglist communications?
Again, "high quality discussion" is always good, but even just Sup Forums level of communication complete with trolling and all sounds like it could be fun to me.
Of course Usenet comes to mind, but I've never used it before and I always got the impression it was sort of dying out in popularity, is it still worth checking out?

inb4
>I don't want people like YOU using such communities so I'm not going to help you
Yeah yeah, no need to even post in this thread then right? Go blow it out your ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't want people like YOU using such communities so I'm not going to help you

Blow it out your ass

you are talking about a message board with accounts, not email you retard

>mailinglist communications
>2017
literally kek

It exists, it is called DFeed and it combines usenet, mailing list, and forums.
github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

But the simplicity of email makes it more versatile. Ideally you just manage your own shit. Don't like a user? Block them. Don't like certain phrases? Filter them.
Want to just continue the conversation with a handful of people instead of everyone, message just those people.

My opinion is that a HUGE part of why everything is so shitty and angry seeming online these days is because we're trying to lump everything into these public systems. Especially social media, with its public voting and public systems to decide which posts are "good and bad". Even Sup Forums has a lot of arguing that takes place solely to influence people who probably don't even give a shit.

Thanks that sounds kind of cool, I'll check it out.

you are retarded, you aren't talking about email
it's like me saying a car with two wheels, that's a bike. you are talking about a message board with accounts, not email

Do you even know what email is? Please point out which parts of my post you think you can't do with email.

Why not a chat protocol

One that has IDs and group chats is basically what you want.

You want newsgroup-like mailing lists. Typically GNU Mail Man does something similar, but to be honest it needs to be more like newsgroups in Usenet.

so basically XMPP but like 10x shittier and slower

also shit like greylisting, """reputation""" based insta-filtering and autism about DKIM/SPF will guarantee issues.

Federated Communication has pretty much died. even google and facejew, the two bigger XMPP services have all but turned into some nonfree retarded chat thing.

If you really want federation, your best bet is probably matrix.org

Yeah basically. A big part of the OP though is asking just how to improve the experience using email clients.

For instance I'm sure there are some which are more suited to managing long discussion threads. I'm sure all these old hats who use nothing but email all day long to communicate aren't using shit like gmail right? I'm guessing they all use terminal-based clients and have all sorts of tricks for managing discussions

i do find it interesting how my parents still consider email to be a very casual medium while my generation sees it as "the professional one". before some retard thinks im underage i was born in 1990

It's because people top post.

If everyone just wrote their reply at the bottom of the page it would be like read Sup Forums.

except dumber.

Improving on this, groups and subgroups like in usenet serve a purpose, and if is just a protocol it can be browse with a client like email clients.

If you feel like the experience in email is damper you can try a mail client.

Not sure how you can do it but I'd like to see mail discussions in tandem.

Can you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean

Consecutive mails to the same address, how to show them in tandem on mutt? Maybe even hierarchical display in mailing lists.

Found the 40+ dad from the Midwest of the US

>matrix.org
I just gave this try and is it just me or is it slow as shit and takes up tons of resources to initialize? Is it doing something weird like downloading a full list of every message ever sent or something?
I even tried it in the weechat plugin, it's taking up a lot of resourcces and still hasn't connected to a room yet

This neo-luddite want will only end up with you trying to get on shitty communities such as usenet and they're 30 years deep into the circlejerk with in-jokes specifically designed to keep you out. This along with IRC is ban-on-sight the moment you attempt any "high quality discussion" that goes ever so slightly against the retarded grain of what they've been repeating for these 3 decades, and they won't even let you know before you get banned.

Spout your borrowed gay hippie opinion about it but web consolidation was the greatest thing to happen to the internet and free speech because you can't be banned anymore when you get to the point where even talking about anything that's happened in the last 20 years will accidentally upset some moderator and it's going to be ban on sight. They may not know this in words but everyone effectively has experienced it which is why we moved on from shitty forums, IRC, mailing lists etc because it very easily ends up ass deep in totalitarianism run by a moderator who couldn't be more wrong about the topic of the site if he tried.

You're right in that you have no idea what you're missing, except what you're missing is a smelly old dog turd. Even if you pretend to like it to fit in, they aren't going to let you in anytime this century. It's just a bunch of losers jerking off

All I really want is a different mode of communication.

I'm not looking for new communities or anything, I'm just kind of getting tired of Sup Forums being a pseudo-chatroom, and sometimes I think it would be awesome if the _standard_ was that people would sometimes take 12-24hrs to respond to things instead of expecting immediate replies.

I know you can do that on Sup Forums, but not always. Some popular threads even with tons of posters don't last more than 1hr.

That's literally the only reason I keep wanting to go back to other communication formats from time to time. I miss that feeling of just spending 10-20min reading some shit then going and doing something else for a few hours and then coming back to check on replies, and all without feeling like tons of threads have been given birth and died during your short absence.

Of course I don't want any of that shit you mentioned, but Sup Forums is actually a pseudo-chatroom. You'd think there would be more demand for something a little slower.

You tried to host your own server or just a client?
Riot client is alright and pretty fast, but synapse server is indeed rather slow and resource heavy. It is only reference implementation written in python afaik, so better and faster server will propably come.

>Federated Communication has pretty much died.
>the SRV record is officially obsolete

I bet you want Diaspora.

I know what you meant, the topics around social media have started to degrade in circlejerks. And legitimate alternatives were killed on purpose.

Classics like IRC or mail do have what you want, if you are willing to stand for the time it takes and some configuration. But Usenet was a great idea if it wasn't so difficult to set and so hard to get a pass.