/webasm/

>when a tree dies in the forest all of the sproutlings rise up and compete for the sunlight
>javascript is dead and buried and somebody is going to take that spot.

>>god tier contenders
>c#
>c++
>python
>java
>haskell

>>has a chance tier contenders
>go
>some variant of lisp
>erlang
>ada
>perl
>some variant of lisp
>some variant of unix designed to run in a browser tab

>>resume goes in the trash tier
>swift
>objective c
>rust
>c
>forth
>ocaml
>visual basic
>pascal
>ruby

>>may surprise us tier
>f#
>typsescipt because j8 acts as a middleman between webasm and webapis
>Some language we have never heard of or doesn't exist yet

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not sure what happened there, but I can say that JS is still needed to load webassembly shit to the browser, so not so dead

How do I get started?

>javascript is dead
i don't think so i get paid to make things with it :)

redpill me on why javascript is dead
>hard mode: don't say "javascript shouldnt be used for webshit because i can't leave the 90s behind"

wasm relies on javascript, retard

Kek. JScript isn't going anywhere. Deal with it, faggot.

I'm betting 6 cents on Typescript

the reason the web runs on javascript is because it doesn't have all the type checking, boilerplate bullshit that is unnecessary to 90% of websites.

There are times where I absolutely hate that JS doesn't have strict typing, and there are times where it's actually kinda nice.
It allows you to write code so terse that it makes even functional programmers cringe.

>webasm
Not the thread I was expecting

>javascript is dead
You heard it here first boys

EVERYBODY OUT

javascript is just a wrapper for webassembly now face it you've been cucked js devs you have been cucked royally

>javascript is dead
no it's not lol

Why do retards continuously think that they'll be using bloated languages that require a GC with web assembly any time soon? You think you're going to be able to use Python or Java when they require almost 100MB of dependencies and would require massive low level changes to meet the sandbox model required by web assembly?

Exactly how many times do the implementors have to correct you delusional retards before you get it?

Most of those languages are objectively worse than ES6 and Typescript.

I'm hoping to be using forth with wasm

Are you people confused?

Web browsers can currently execute JavaScript.

Web browsers are adding the ability to execute web assembly. In their current state, JS is still required, however in the future there will be absolutely no need to have JS.

As long as the language has a compiler which can output web assembly, you will be able to run it on the browser. What don't you understand? Backends can be made faster, and there could even be new different front ends that don't require HTML/CSS.

Web assembly will change everything.

Javascript doesn't have a garbage collector?

Javascript obviously does have a garbage collector but that has no bearing on web assembly. You can't use the underlying Javascript VM's garbage collector from web assembly and you never will be able to. That would complicate it massively and make a ton of optimizations basically impossible.

Language independent garbage collectors and VMs are mostly garbage and tend to only be remotely acceptable if the languages are semantically very similar.

>JScript
might want to google that, anyone who knew what they were talking about would not abbreviate it that way

great, more transpiler bullshit.

can we just use javascript and like it?

No: gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

>Web browsers are adding the ability to execute web assembly. In their current state, JS is still required, however in the future there will be absolutely no need to have JS.

You are dumb and ignorant. Shut the fuck up and do research before talking.

There is no way to interact with DOM from wasm.

Your contender list is fucking retarded. You've essentially just ordered the languages according to how much you like them, with some Sup Forums meme languages thrown in.

>>god tier contenders
>c#
Not going to happen, perhaps the Mono implementation has a chance but not MS C#. Also has the problem of non-deterministic GC.
>c++
Basically already happened, Native Client has been a thing for a while now.
>python
Fixes some of JS syntax bullshit, but too slow for a language we are probably going to be stuck with for decades. It is easily decompiled which has its ups and downs when you look at the big picture.
>java
Fuck no. I'm glad applet cancer and java web plugins are dead.
>haskell
Not enough people use this, ease of use is also a problem.

>>has a chance tier contenders
>go
Maybe, it would be interesting although there are a lot of gotchas in Go's standard behaviours.
>some variant of lisp
See Haskell.
>erlang
See Haskell.
>ada
Maybe, but not likely.
>perl
See Python.
>some variant of lisp
See Haskell
>some variant of unix designed to run in a browser tab
We are rapidly approaching this lol.

>>resume goes in the trash tier
Now you're just meming.
>swift
Swift is still very early in it's life and constantly changing, not currently viable (although I love the syntax).
>objective c
Dead within the decade.
>rust
I have my own complaints about Rust, but if Mozilla implemented a kind of Native Client-esque thing using it it might gain some traction.
>c
See C++
>forth
See Haskell
>ocaml
No.
>visual basic
Dependant on MS shit, slow.
>pascal
See Haskell
>ruby
Syntax is tolerable and many web devs already have extensive experience with Ruby, but it's too slow like Python to be a good basis for our increasingly resource heavy web apps/pages.
>>may surprise us tier
>f#
Ha, not a chance.
>typsescipt because j8 acts as a middleman between webasm and webapis
Hopefully we move beyond Javascript completely, thus negating the need for Typescript. On a personal note, Typescript's lexer scares me.
>Some language we have never heard of or doesn't exist yet
I would lol so hard if Google tries dumping a language on the community just to see what happens.

>likes swift
>likes ruby
macfag detected

>erlang
One of my great accomplishments is that for three glorious days I was a professional Erlang developer.

ES6 and Typescript are more likely to replace half of this list, even for systems programming.

My money is on Typescript eventually winning since it's just ES+

>Languages that use green threads
>Having any chance of winning the WASM race
Go, Erlang, Python, Ocaml and any other I don't know about don't stand a chance.
C and C++ already won. Rust might have a tiny chance if Mozilla plays its cards right.

>systems programming
>in a managed language
In what world does systems programming not imply bare metal access, and how in the hell do you write a memory allocator or context switcher let alone hardware access in ES?

>he doesn't write blazing fast bare metal vanilla JS

I do use a Macbook Air for most of my mobile work. If I need to compile or benchmark, I ssh to my workstation or testing server. I prefer Ruby (and recently Crystal) because of its clean syntax and object heavy model. The scoping is a bit shit, but it's much better than Python's brain damage.

On the topic of *fag memes, Sup Forums has entered this weird twilight zone where all "real" developers use tiled WMs on Linux and some eso functional lang nobody who actually devs for a living uses. Believe it or not, there was once a time Sup Forums liked macOS/Macs. Somewhere between the stallman and gentoo memes Sup Forums became counter to it's own culture. It really is quite interesting.

>culture is permanent and never changes

An entire section of my post made point of how Sup Forums's culture has shifted. Either stupid or bad troll.

Mac OS X WAS better back when Jobs was alive and ever since he died, it has been going downhill especially after ther macOS rename. It has gotten to the point where installing Linux on your Mac is more productive than trying to customize and get it to the same state on the Mac natively. I'm not surprised that because of that, developers and Sup Forums has been shifting away from macOS as well.

A constructive viewpoint I can totally understand. I feel the new hardware has been my biggest gripe. A supposedly "professional" grade machine with a dual core CPU, gimped TB3 and terrible keyboard? Not to mention the shitty GPU. I'll probably be stuck on the Air line til they kill it to push 12" Macbook sales.

I was surprised that:
+ Typescript doesn't support concat es6 modules into a single file. You have to use build tools like webpack/gulp for it.
+ No standard libraries. Reimplement lodash in typescript isn't that hard.
+ No test support, too. Still you have to use javascript libraries like mocha.
+ Didn't give me any fucking error whey I try to use it with brunch. Is it expected behaviour or did I configure wrong?

At this point to me typescirpt isn't a proper language, just a toy javascript transpiler.

nice

the future of the web is binary blobs

Basic frontend stuff - no need for anything more than JS

Slightly more complex frontend, or simple backend - use Typescript

complex backend - use a big-boy language (or ruby if you don't mind your site being slow as molasses)

webasm isn't required for anything we need today. I think it will be useful for running videogames via the web. Think live streaming games with no install. Some guys did unreal tournament is webasm. It had an awful frame rate - but it ran. This is where webasm could make a big impact.

>single threaded programming

lemaoooooooooo