Redpill me on why someone should be using Vim?

Redpill me on why someone should be using Vim?

Other urls found in this thread:

sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/vim-misconceptions/
youtube.com/watch?v=NzD2UdQl5Gc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because they have autism and can't just use notepad or word like most normal people

because you want to spend more time configuring your editor than writing

I'm writing my code in C++ and it's totally a meme.

But I'm primarily a Linux sysadmin so having a fully featured terminal text editor is extremely useful for non-local config editing and whatever. vimdiff is fucking fantastic.

If I hadn't already spent as much time configuring vim just the way I like it I'd probably write my C++ in vscode.

depreciated meme editor

For a terminal text editor its one of the most efficient and extendable ones out there.

If you can deal with a GUI then Emacs is far comfier frankly.

And if you're just doing quick config edits or something use mousepad. No need to open up something like VIM just to edit a line (unless you're already fast at using it).

I'm a long time linux user and still can't for the life of me understand the hipster dipshits that us vi or vim.
Nano is way simpler and has a nice UI.
Linux doesn't have to be a fucking challenge.

It's good for when you do not have a gui (like server administration or quick scripts). Anything more robust using a full feature editor is probably a better idea.

this

I do agree vim is overrated but after spending maybe an afternoon learning it some, Nano feels clunky as fuck. Not knocking you for using it but its really lacking. Still, VIM isn't always appropriate at all.

because it's really comfy

I totally feel you.
Nano can be very bloated and get annoying especially because the keystrokes are unintuitive to veterans. but at least they're displayed for us.

vi/vim are really only useful when you're a heavy user of text editors over ssh. that's really the only usecase I imagine vi/vim being usable for.

Do you honestly enjoy moving your hands from the home row to elsewhere back and forth thousands of times a day?

If yes, you don't really need Vim.

I don't use it for coding, but I use it for some text manipulation.

Macro is slow but you can see what you are working on, which make it much better than sed/awk for a quick & dirty work.

What's up with the quit command and the consecutive pinky presses? I hate that shit.

I use VIM because it's what I've always used. I couldn't give less of a shit about what you use. For me it's a familiar environment that let's me editing things quickly over terminal (ssh). Take it or leave it.

:qa!

:earlier 10m
>revert file to it's state 10 minutes ago.
>oh. too soon?
:later 2m

Because it's the only modal editor remaining.

Whoa, didn't know that trick. Thanks user

Either most Sup Forumsuys here are trolling and preventing you from enjoying vim

Just open up vimtutor and play around with it, you'll need to get used to it

There are plugins like amix-vim, just paste a line to install it on your machine

In short, vim allows me to efficiently code and perform various linux administration tasks. I've used vim for years now and I still learn something new (for example )

after vimtutor maybe try luke smith's videos? he has a few tips and tricks that helped me a bit when i started learning

>memetuber

Because why not

Powerful relatively lightweight terminal editor. Works well over SSH and default on most every Unix system so it's great for remote editing. You can configure it to be pretty much anything you want it to be. In general VIM differs from most text editors in the fact that it's assuming you'll spend more time modifying text than creating it so you spend most of your time in normal mode. It also is easier on my hands because I can keep my hands on the home-row the entire time and rarely need to read for the Control key.

vim is bloat. use ed or sam.

>have to install plan9port just to use sam
good idea

>not having plan9port installed everywhere
how does it feel to use inferior, harmful, bloated programs?

i don't feel it at all because i use openbsd

bsd is archaic.

Because it is a good mature editor, if you learn it well along side other tools like: make, gdb, tmux, astyle, grep etc you will see how simple and easy vim makes things.

People like to complain that it is hard or takes a lot of time to configure but neither of those things are true. You can literally just use any one of the thousands of premade configs floating around on github if you really want. You aren't required to tinker with vim.

Learning vim is a bit quirky at first but it is fairly painless and once you get used to it, it will feel a lot smoother than other editors. I really can't fathom why people think vim is so hard you really only need to know a handful of things to get up and running.

I enjoy editors like atom, sublime text, notepad++, emacs, and idle too but nothing feels nicer than vim to me.

It's really good for just slamming out some C or some shit

if I was doing some OOP type shit I would totally want something a little more sophisticated, but its really good because of how speedy it is

Being able to do so much so quickly by pressing one key (or a short sequence of keys) on a keyboard is why (g)Vim is so useful.

I tried vim and couldn't adapt after a week of reading tons of bullshit on vimrc configs and tutorials.
I tried vscode after I saw a video of it and read an article on it and instantly fell in love. The only other editor I would recommend to someone is sublime, but I feel vscode is even better since it's open source.

I could see how vim on a touchscreen keyboard would actually be pretty useful, especially since it's modal.

Ill bite
>I'm gonna program in notepad!
I use emacs but fuck, Lurk moar newfag

I've tried writing c++ in qtcreator and vscode, and vscode really fell short, even with their added support. Such a lag with these electron apps.

>g
Vim is a text editor based around quickly editing lines. Code uses lines. Therefore vim is quick at editing code.

Because they don't know what nano is

>word

because with any type of software oriented around keyboard shortcuts, once you learn the shortcuts if becomes way more efficient.

Vim has tools which more quickly edit code, such as erasing entire lines, replacing words, only changing things inside parentheses, etc.

>be emacs user
>literal hacker god
>emacs can do fucking goddamn anything
>see pleb vim useres
>"but user muh minimalism"
>"but user vim is a couple dozen megabytes smaller doesn't that make it better?"

Let me put it this way. imagine a car that cost five thousand dollars less except that it was a literal red wagon that kids ride in versus a car that was 5000 dollars more but it was a ferrari.

Oh and by the way sweetie emacs has already got all of the vim features with the extensible vi layer for evil for short

It's good for quick edits, especially on remote servers. Don't know how you're supposed to use it as an IDE, it slows down to a crawl with plugins.

Theres the builtin vimtutor, and theres lots of good resources online, like this site: sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/vim-misconceptions/

I just dont like the interface style of sequential hotkey sequences. Feels like carpal tunnel man.

>why someone should be using Vim?
if you're a cuck you should definitely be using Vim

if not, well then sublime, emacs, gedit, or even nano

>not a cuck
>sublime
boy, it really takes one to know one doesn't it

micro or nano are better terminal text editors.
Vim is horrible.
Don't know why anyone uses it.

how do you even type then?

>if you can deal with a GUI then Emacs is far comfier
???????????
emacs is TUI and GUI wichever you prefer works

because name one file editing operation that isn't trivial with vim

fucking this

youtube.com/watch?v=NzD2UdQl5Gc

Well, I'm loving Vim.
But I think Vim is not suited for every situation.

For example, when I fix some bugs or need a lot of copy and paste from stack overflow, I usually use Geany, because it's all I need.

But whenever I need to do some "serious coding" and be productive, Vim is the way to go. Vim is not complicated. You only need ONE FREAKING WEEK to get enough basics to be faster than any other editor. And eventually you'll be amazing. Fact of the matter you'll really start tio miss the Vim magic in other editors. It just feels amazing to be so fast..

*clack, clack* ==> "cut the code from within the braces and paste it in a new function"
*clack, clack* ==> "replace every matching word in this paragraph, but ask me before"
*clack, clack* ==> "record macro and execute 10 times: for every line, take the first word and make a new function with this name"

Of course you can do all thos things by hand or with the mouse, but it's soooo sloooow..
Vim really feels like a secretary where you just tell him _what_ to do instead of doing it yourself and that's the great thing about Vim.