/cyb/ + /sec/: Cyberpunk and Cybersecurity

General: Rehashed Edition
/Cyb/er/sec/urity general is for the discussion of anything and everything related to cyberpunk and cybersecurity.

What is cyberpunk?
>pastebin.com/raw/jS37Vu7A

Nothing to hide? - The importance of a cyberpunk mindset applied to a cybersecurity skillset.
>youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk

Resources:
Cyberpunk:
Cyberpunk directory:
>pastebin.com/raw/9JaJFqB2
Cyberpunk resources:
>pastebin.com/raw/7DWCsAc8

Cybersecurity:
Cybersecurity essentials:
>pastebin.com/raw/JWx5xeEM
Cybersecurity resources:
>pastebin.com/NaUPUDF0

Harden your OS, reroute your DNS and fire up the VPN!
Shit just got real: - Looking for more resources, help is welcomed.
>pastebin.com/raw/JXyM4fTe

The Old Skool: - Looking for more resources, help is welcomed.
>0ld 5k00l h4ck3rz: 67.225.133.110/~gbpprorg/#40

IRC:
Join:
>#Sup Forumspunk - Requires SSL
>#Sup Forumssec - Requires SSL
IRC guide:
>pastebin.com/YDbEWRHV

Thread archive:
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/cyb/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/sec/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text//cyb/ /sec//

Thread backup:
>cyberpunked.org/

Previous thread:
>

Suggestions for new resources are welcome.
The Gentoomen /sec/ community is looking for CTF team members, contact them at the IRC channel.

OP message:
At mentioned in the previous thread (boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/61265322) I was planning, after some community consensus to re-work and tidy up the pasta.
This is the current, though not permanent result, I do plan to refine it further.
Constructive criticism and ideas for change are welcomed, likewise as are extra resources; you can never have too much useful information.
So please, do not hesitate.
If enough people dislike the new pasta, I am willing to return to the previous one.
Pasta poll:
>strawpoll.me/13396720

Other urls found in this thread:

labs.rs/en/exploring-alternative-internets-and-unusual-forms-of-networking-in-havana/
youtube.com/watch?v=zyu2jAD6sdo
youtube.com/watch?v=cTjw96-Z700
youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
youtube.com/watch?v=4OFUiYMU9DM
bbc.com/culture/story/20170316-whatever-happened-to-generation-x
github.com/majestrate/urc.py)
arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/how-omnipotent-hackers-tied-to-the-nsa-hid-for-14-years-and-were-found-at-last/
youtube.com/watch?v=XYmfoovHj2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=gYOy7CGpPIU
youtube.com/watch?v=_kBlH-DQsEg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(1988_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The IRC is: irc://irc.rizon.net:6697
This will be added next thread, because I'm a klutz.

This looks good, OP. Also, you're missing the IRC network, I suppose that's because you haven't chosen one yet? Perhaps we could make another poll to choose the server?

see .

I guess I posted too fast. Sorry about that.

hi anons

Reminder to collaborate with NetRunner if you can, modern web browsers are becoming more of a privacy nightmare with each iteration. Use the IRC on Rizon to contact the team.

Hello darkness my old friend

How much progress has been made thus far?

Haven't seen anything on that in a while, kinda curious how it's coming along. Do you have a link to whichever repo changes are/were getting pushed to?

what a renaissance we are going through lads. makes me want to tackle my cyberpunk novel reading list, finally.

One guy got working framebuffer rendering, but I think they were reordering the code, cutting down a bit.

I don't think they publish changes in the repo, they save it until major changes. They even removed a download link to an alpha. I really wanted to test that alpha, this is the kind of browser we all need and I have high expectations.

Reposting for this thread

labs.rs/en/exploring-alternative-internets-and-unusual-forms-of-networking-in-havana/

Reading through my networking studies and it's still fucking amazing to me how networking ACTUALLY WORKS, and isn't a figment of someone's imagination.

How the hardware can actually convert the little pulses in the Ethernet cable into usable frames, and then ship it up and down the OSI layers as required by the hardware connected.

It's fucking black magic.

Likewise, I have a very extensive reading list.

So, there is some decent progress?

You really want this in the pasta, don't you?

I think it is the definition of:
>Just works.

I think one of the repos was getting updates for a while, but that might be the removed link you're talking about. Still, glad they're making progress on it

taking a class on it real soon, would rather it than some shitty js class, which as a whole are taking over the cs department at my school.

uni?

>So, there is some decent progress?
Yes, plus we got some pictures of his previous progress.

The link I say was on their website.

Not original user who posted, it was just posted at the tail end of last thread so why not

I'd say pasta should be reserved for practical info, this is just more of an interest piece.

university of decline to state, but it's just the way it seems to me. webdev is a big field, but not sure why anyone with a cs degree goes into though, when you get bootcamp shitters doing it too.

>Yes, plus we got some pictures of his previous progress.
That's good, as we certainly need a browser to replace Firefox.

Fair enough, thank you for your concern.

Any /cyb/ news?

youtube.com/watch?v=zyu2jAD6sdo

youtube.com/watch?v=cTjw96-Z700

youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

youtube.com/watch?v=4OFUiYMU9DM

please stop

>61299421
>61299452
>61299491
>61299524
go away

What a terrible version.

This.

Slowing down already.

what year will i be able to become an immortal robot demigod and how much will it cost

Everyones reading and studying lol

better start saving up

Eternal Skynet servitude.

Well, they should be shitposting on Sup Forums. :^)

This.

Cyberpunk literally has nothing to do with cybersecurity.

"Science fiction has had an incredible effect on the course of science, especially rigid disciplines such as the various branches of Physics.

Authors like Isaac Asimov inspired generations of scientists who changed the world.

I do not see cyberpunk as any different in its effect on cybersecurity; in many ways, cyberpunk media makes us reflect on many magnitude of human and socio-politica/socio-economic issues regarding technology.

Even the basic application of cybersec skillsets involved in the defacing of a website in defiance of some unethical corporate entity shares a parallel with many cyberpunk themes.

At least to my mind, at base, cyberpunk represents technologies effect on any individual or group's humanity.

In our current age, much of the technology that fits the latter definition resides on the internet (especially in the pseudo-realities created by social media) or in the scope of computer technology.

Cybersec are the disciplines that alllow you to effect the latter change in the technology effecting both your and civilizations humanity.and thus effect your humanity.

Personally, I know that cyberpunk has made me care more (and better recognize my responsibility) in my occupation managing a Cybersec Lab." - Or
">Cyberpunk features cybersecurity alot.
>Our world is becoming cyberpunk and cybersecurity is one of the means to combat it.
>Has nothing to do with it.
What?
You're wrong.
And this is shitty bait." - There's others too, so take your pick and either contribute, or fuck off, contrarian.

Sure.

=== /cyb/ culture News

Cyberpunk grew out of a rather tense 1980's. Since 30 years is one generation it might be interesting to look at the generational change. Or in short, ask

>Whatever happened to Generation X?
bbc.com/culture/story/20170316-whatever-happened-to-generation-x

>It’s a familiar and ongoing feud: baby boomers in one corner and millennials in the other. It seems the two generations are constantly at each other’s throats. Less familiar, though, is any mention of that other generation, the one born in between the boomers and the Millennials. Whatever happened to Generation X? Where has it been, that lost generation of people now aged between 35 and 55, first identified back in 1991 by author Douglas Coupland? How has it evolved, and what, if anything, can we learn from it today?

Cyberpunk, the literature, has gone through several generations already, like the golden age with Wm. Gibson, the silver age with Neal Stephenson and the latest round with Richard Morgan.

What will the next bring? BBC isn't too sure.

No. I haven't read the lainzine either. I lurked at .org for a long time and thought about getting involved. Then the drama happened and it seems like much of its soul is gone.
The definition of Red Teaming in Info/Netsec is still pretty fluid. The definition within the Intelligence Community (which is probably where the term originates from) is pretty well defined (though the application of the concept is really broad).

Likewise, team composition and structure varies widely (as it concerns cybersec/penetration testing)..

A large team can be extremely effective (I would say over 5 operators is a larger sized team) but itl depends on the team lead and their capacity to coordinate the actions of their operators.

Personally, I prefer to work alone, but then again I haven't worked on any elite teams (though I would like to in the future, and its in my 5 year plan).

Do you purposefully seek out every one of these threads to say the same fucking thing every time?

Because it's a fact.

And you think if we've ignored it the past 100 times, that we will listen the next 100?

I don't want to be a part of the botnet.

Kill yourself.

>labs.rs/en/exploring-alternative-internets-and-unusual-forms-of-networking-in-havana/
This is really coo.

Questions:

What decentralized wifi meshnet protocol is best? OLSR? 802.11s? B.A.T.M.A.N?

I have some I2P stickers that I'm going to put up through my city. What should I write on them to catch peoples eyes and make them read the URL? I feel like 'INVISIBLE INTERNET' should be something but I don't have anything better.

>What should I write on them to catch peoples eyes and make them read the URL?
Personally, something like "PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY" would catch my eye.

Invisible Internet is pretty cool.
I also like Tunnel of Lies,
DATA HOLE
MESHNET
DO NOT READ
And the forever ruined by Sup Forums, RED PILL YOURSELF

>DO NOT READ
This is really all you need and human psychology will kick in

>Personally, something like "PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY" would catch my eye.
Right, me too. But normals don't care about that. Getting people into I2P is my first priority. Engageing them in a morale argument I've already lost won't get them to read the rest of the sticker.

He's right, though. Cyberpunk is a fiction genre. Cybersecurity is an actual industry.

IPFS inside I2P SOON
Tox bots via Ratox SOON
URC replacing IRC SOON (github.com/majestrate/urc.py)

The future is bright, my friends!

What's a good resource to learn about the basics of networking?

Cybersecurity is an actual industry? Ok, stop, cyber-security is bullshit, a load of nerds who have to go look-up the word's "money laundering" in a dictionary whilst cyberpunk's go implant themselves with NFC chips call it hacking whilst waving laptop's at fast cars so they can apply there breaks or steal there wireless keys. A load of Microsoft tards hiding shit inside hard-disks and a load of more tards who don't understand how wiretapping works!

Do you not understand how phone hacking works or how all hackers are phreakers at heart Sup Forums Debian is owned by the NSA -->Julian_Assange -->Ian Murdock -->Rupert Murdock (Media Tycoon) so what the fuck is naked C? Oh the phone companys "wire-tap" & Stock Market pumping and dumping via the Banks thanks for clearing that up arsetards!

is this a markov bot

No a Marxist reading the Communist "Manifesto" included in 9front /lib though, a system designed by the Prolitariat to be free from the Bergeouis. Liking the style: "We free you from shit code and the bank!"

Are you okay user

These are so disjointed yet filled with key nouns that I really feel like I'm reading the output of a pretrained markov bot.

Is C really a good first language?
Isn't it needlessly tedious for a beginner? Why do you people recommend it over a high level scripting language?

hahaha

>Why do you people recommend it over a high level scripting language
Because this is a security general. It's a good choice for a number of reasons though.

As a programming noob whose dabbled off-and-on for years, I honestly find learning C much more fun and engaging than all the times I tried for Python, Lua, etc.

I think its the fact C so intimately tied with the bare-bones of how computers work which adds and extra layer of engagement. I honestly wish I jumped right into C years ago.

>security general.
Python is used a lot in security.
>a number of reasons
Like what?

What's the best antivirus for windows?
Ie. which one is most likely to succeed against NSA/CIA spyware?

If you're actually looking to stop NSA/CIA spyware then you go buy a laptop endorsed by the FSF and play it smart, even then you're probably fucked. On Windows? Antivirus isn't going to stop that particular threat.

Unless you mean the stuff that got leaked like WannaCry. Most modern antivirus can pick that type of stuff up once the signatures have been out for a bit.

>which one is most likely to succeed against NSA/CIA spyware?
None?

None.

That's bullshit.
I'm not asking which one will succeed in 100% cases.
But if antivirus A can detect them with a 0.0001% success rate and antivirus B with 0.0002%, B is clearly better.

>suceed against NSA/CIA spyware

arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/how-omnipotent-hackers-tied-to-the-nsa-hid-for-14-years-and-were-found-at-last/

read this so you know what you're up agianst lol

Exactly and there no bullshit in C it's as low level as it get's that why they recommend it @@None, all your software is "Kek!" except for C which kick's ass.

You can't write an exploit in any language if you don't understand how computer programs work.

Are you daft? We're saying if it's a three letter agency in particular you're trying to block, you can't, especially with something as mundane as commercial antivirus. Best you can do is take actions to prevent their malware from ending up on your comp at all.

It's not bull-shit.
Most of the software is "Kek!" Mozilla (sorry, Carnivore!) is busy upgrading to Quantum advertising, go fuck your ass Mozilla!

g0t moth-monster?
g0t ACID?
Trippy!

Given that many threats can be embedded in firmware where Windows software cannot reach, your question is like what kind of tonic will cure a broken leg.

Questionable firmware will be in
- CPU and remote units (like iDRAC etc)
- disk drives including USB memory and Flash memory (inside the disk controllers on the drives)
- communication units (SCSI, Ethernet, especially with offload engines, SATA and more)
- Routers, Switches and Hubs
- wireless units of all kinds
- mouse (there is a fairly capable CPU inside), and keyboard

And more. This list is just from the top of my head. I have probably forgotten a lot.

No....AV is made too detect viruses. The NSAs backdoors in your Windows are not even what it looks for.
There are none because you're misunderstanding what you're asking about.

>that shitshow
NEETs actually believe they can write a modern js engine

It doesn't have to be modern. That is not what this whole thing is about.

It is about /sec/.

writing a usable js engine requires ~50 skilled computer scientists, not coders, not NEETs, not pajeets, not meme udemy nanodegree holders

Is it even possible to become anonymous online these days ? or is this guy right: youtube.com/watch?v=XYmfoovHj2Y

Fair point.

and see and:
>There's others too, so take your pick and either contribute, or fuck off, contrarian.

No, he's a YouTube retard LARPing for YouTube.
Sure, you can't be FULLY anonymous.
However, you can have a higher degree of it than dumb-dumb in that video says you can.

>But normals don't care about that.
Yeah, you're right. It was just something I came up with on the spot.

>DO NOT READ
This.

This would work perfectly.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for us to compile a few /sec/ talks that we enjoyed watching to add to the pasta?

I start by suggesting a classic, The Making of Atlas.

youtube.com/watch?v=gYOy7CGpPIU

How does one get into I2P?

And that is their plan.

They don't need to write a js engine only reuse one.

I haven't had an antivirus for years and haven't had a problem.

>install i2pd
>use like tor but more filesharing

where did you get stickers? any to spare?

OP here, I'll be adding this and I like the idea.
Suggestions obviously welcome.

Is there any reason to have IPv6 enabled? Should I disable it?

How do I get into cyber security? What should I have in my portfolio and is it possible to have a remote programming job?

I am pursuing a degree, but feel it won't be enough. Just wondering if I could mostly self teach cyber security.

Your first question is answered in the first post in this thread. Perhaps read a little?

Meant to post this in an earlier thread but I forgot: youtube.com/watch?v=_kBlH-DQsEg

I thought this was pretty eye opening when I first saw it.

Alright I need a movie for tonight, what do you recommend? Every website I visit to try and find interesting movies are pretty shit and always give me some """blockbuster""" whatever shitty movie

You can't hide from your corporate masters forever

This is listed in the pasta, please read the pasta, I don't make the pasta for people to not eat my pasta.
>Pic is me, because you didn't eat my pasta.

Interesting stuff, I'll add it to the pasta also.
Thank you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(1988_film)
Best of the best.

We can and will try!