Who here low-power CPU external GPU master race?

Who here low-power CPU external GPU master race?

Other urls found in this thread:

razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core
ebay.com/itm/V8-0-EXP-GDC-PCI-E-Video-Card-Dock-Laptop-External-for-Beast-Expresscard-AC773-/252941190666
asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/index.us.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought those usb ones only used a single pcie lane.

>implying thats not a microHDMI to expresscard

That looks like a T420, that's definitely usb 2.0. Expresscard is on the other side of the laptop. Also.
>Not having a USB 3.0 card instead

Oh goodie another buyer's remorse thread.

Instead of building a Pentium + rx 560 ITX you get a laptop with a processor that throttles to 2GHz or less, massive input lag, and lag in general.

>protip:
Sell your shitty laptop on ebay to help scrape enough money to pay for a good ITX build.

>he thinks USB 3.0 cards exist

>Telling poorfags to buy ITX
What? Why? Literally everything is more expensive and harder to find used. Small form factor PSU, ITX motherboard, more expensive case, etc.

Poorfags usually end up with Micro ATX, but should buy whatever motherboard and case are cheapest together for their platform of choice and work from there.

Technically speaking poorfags who have access to a workshop and the skills to use it should be making a testbench style "case" out of scrap.

>not buying a motherboard with CPU onboard
>not buying an used $200 laptop and installing PS Now

External GPU is a meme.

lolwut?

Pentium G4560 [4t2c @ 3.5 GHz]: $80
Rx 560: $100
LGA 1151 ITX motherboard: $60
ITX case: $40
400W PSU: $40
8GB RAM: $60
1TB HDD: $40

Total: $420
That was hard, WEW

>choosing between expresscard poorfaggotry or no support, or both

I have a gtx 1060 that's in a thunder 3 attached to my touchmeme macbook air. use it for lan parties (just leave the thunder at a friend's house so i can plug in the laptop when i get there).

it isnt the best but it works really well for what it is

>mac
Do you suck cocks?

I did that for a couple of months, ran beautifully and it's pretty plug-and-play with the T420.

Stopped because i got bored of gaming, still have the T420 though.

more like messy cluttered desk shitty performance retard race

DELETE THIS

You can't plug a gpu through USB you dumb faggot

razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core

You fucks know what he meant, on pic related, not in general.

>low power
>ATX PSU
pick one.
GTX960 4GB + Dell DA-2 master race here.
I can easily downgrade this 220W PSU to 150W generic 12V one or just upgrade card to 1050ti and use 75W PSU.

Those aren't USB those are thunderbolt you fucking newfags

>up to 100W
enjoy depleting laptop's battery in 5 minutes.
Also we are still discussing OP's retarded pic related, which shows USB 2.0 shitpad t420 with eGPU connected through it, which is not possible.

>t420
actually T410, as it has 1st gen CORE cpu sticker.

thunderbolt uses usb-c

It also used to use displayport
Thunderbolt isn't USB nor is it displayport

I have an old X220i, would be pretty fun to have an external GPU through the expresscard interface for shits and giggles.

Thunderbolt 3 2015: port type USB-C

Yes user thunderbolt is implemented over a USB c connector but it is not USB
I don't know what is so hard to understand.

The thing is: with Thunderbolt 3 there is simply no reason why not to don't use external GPU with a cheap notebook or mini-itx pc.
The only thing needed is a USB 3.1 compatible motherboard

>implemented over a USB connector
>can be used as normal USB 3.1 port
>not USB

Something like this shit: ebay.com/itm/V8-0-EXP-GDC-PCI-E-Video-Card-Dock-Laptop-External-for-Beast-Expresscard-AC773-/252941190666

>Maintaining a separate system just for some games
not going to happen

That's about $300 too expensive and HDD's are terribly slow. I'd rather utilize the large SSD I already have.

>ThinkPad X230
>V8.0 EXP GDC Beast
>Nvidia GTX 750 Ti
>100W power brick instead of ATX psu

It's up to 10x upgrade to graphical performance when using outputs on the e-GPU. I wouldn't recommend using outputs on the laptop through PRIME/Optimus as it strains the 1x pci-e lane even further.

You need pcie to connect a gpu
That's why you can't connect gpus over USB
Thunderbolt 2 is implemented over display port
You can use it with display port adapters
Is thunderbolt 2 displayport?

>That's why you can't connect gpus over USB
that's why you buy an case with PCI-express to Thunderbolt 3 conversion

>implemented over DP
>can be used as DP port
Yes, it is DP.

You went from talking about the protocol to the port. Which one is it retard? Thunderbolt is a protocol, USB is a protocol which has its own single port at any 1 standard generation. Thunderbolt as a protocol isn't tied to any port. It just happens that the third generation is using USB-C's port for more openness. Thunderbolt 2's port was a Mini Displayport.

let's talk about the future: PCI-Express to Thunderbolt converter

Well than I should be able to convert any display to USB shouldn't I? You dipshit
Just connect it over pcie if you can then user
you don't need thunderbolt if you already have pcie which is the whole point of this thread

I'm not the guy that mentioned that Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB-C port, dumbass. If it uses the USB-C connector and can work as a normal USB 3.1 port, it's USB. Thunderbolt 3 ports are BOTH TB3 and USB 3.1.

>100W through a thin wire
Fuck me, can't wait for housefires due to no safety chinese products

Not all DP is TB2, but all TB2 is DP. It's a pretty simple concept, retard.

Jesus fuck user you're so fucking dense
Here I literally mean that the USB protocol doesn't support pcie unlike thunderbolt therefore thunderbolt 3 isn't USB c
Just like the displayport protocol isn't is thunderbolt 2

PSU provides power to GPU
GPU connects to a device which converts to Thunderbolt
Thunderbol 3 goes to USB 3.1 port
:)

Ok, so?
This is nothing new.

Of course it is
GPUs as we know it will become irrelevant

it's nothing new dipshit. TB3 eGPU boards were releases by bplus like 3 years ago.

those egpus adapters don't have great support

I have a x220 i7 with 16 gigs of ram and a GTX 950 that doesn't need extra power. Works like a Charm

Noice. Me x220 i5 16gb gt 730 fanless. i not gayme i just watch things in 4k and 1080 on 60 fps.

is GT 730 better than Intel HD Graphics 4400?

what do you use to connect the gpu with the laptop?

It is but
Not worth egpu
Get a 750ti or something

Gdc beast or that other really expensive kit which I forgot the name of
What else would you use honestly?

I do

What use would it have?

So that any GPU can be used in every single notebook/mini-pc as long as it is celeron 1.6ghz

Oh you mean like pic related?

you sure have any idea what you're talking about.
kys

>be in /g
>have no concept of tinkering to obtain different tech arrangements
>his desk is clear of objects but his mind is full of apple-tard rage

desu its not worth.

You need a GPU, power adapter, extern monitor,for the eGPU setup.

So actually you just need a mainboard with a CPU, for a desktop pc.

it looks like its connected through displayport

>If it uses the USB-C connector and can work as a normal USB 3.1 port, it's USB

Yes, the port is the port and can do both protocols. This has nothing to do with Thunderbolt when Thunderbolt isn't being used.

what?
it's literally plug and play

god I didn't realise how thicc the T420 was

I have egpu for my 1440p monitor to run at 60Hz, IntelHD 4000 could only go up to 55Hz.
Here are some insights now that I have used it for half year or so.
Runs stable @x1 2.0 (PCIe) but bandwidth IS an issue
>micro stutters here and there when gaming
>not full performance (e.g. constant 60fps on NierA is not possible, optimized games have no problem staying way above 60fps though)
>intense graphical use makes system slow to use, e.g. 3-4 mpv instances all playing video or 4k youtube video playing in foreground makes scrolling in chromium feel stuttery
Not bandwidth related
>getting laptop to wake up from sleep state is luck based, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't (if it does not hdd activity is at 100% for some reason), this is probably laptop to laptop issue, some others may not have it

Someday i'll get that ryzen build going but for now it's good enough, desu sleep issue is the worst as the other ones that I have listed are very rare occurrences

that's T410, not T420, dummie.

>i7 x220
My i7 x220 literally gets half the battery life as my i5 x220 with the same battery in it. Why buy non undervolted i7s, ever?

does this work with every single pc?

if you buy AKiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box will it connect through USB 3.0 and run in 60fps?

If it has Thunderbolt, it's going to work

At most you will need to update the firmware on it, but I didn't. Some people occasionally have problems with sleeping and waking with it plugged in, but I haven't. It even works with Macbooks under Windows, but as far as I know, under Mac OS it doesn't really work

you can't connect it through USB 3.0
As the name "Thunder3" suggests, you can only use Thunderbolt 3

but which motherboard today supports Thunderbolt?

I'm saying Thunderbolt 3 to USB C (notebook)

It's not that widespread on standard desktops, but quite a few laptops have them these days. These eGPU enclosures are more for laptops and tiny desktops than anything else

Here's where it gets confusing. Depends if it has Thunderbolt.
A USB-C port can "talk" using Thunderbolt or USB language. Every USB-C port that can talk using Thunderbolt language can also talk using USB language, but not all USB-C ports talk in Thunderbolt.

What laptop is it?

Is there one of these picks without the cum? If not could someone make it honey

then I think the best alternative is to GPU manufacturers (AMD/NVIDIA) release GPUs with PCI-E and Thunderbolt adapter.
Then motherboard manufactores will ship thunderbolt 3 by default

There still isn't any reason for it to be on a desktop because if you have it on a desktop because a desktop will have PCI-e connectors

Plus, at the moment a Thunderbolt 3 box like £300, with some of the more expensive ones being closer to £500

but that's the thing there is a reason for desktop to have it because with mini itx you can build a very small tv/home theater box and place a 1070 on top of it to run all games you want using the same system
It's easier to buy a 70 dollar motherboard micro-atx or mini-itx than a notebook
Not all Micro-ATX or mini-itx support x16 PCI-express plus you don't have to share the same PSU for your home theater box and GPU

But a Mini-ITX plus Thunderbolt box is going to be bigger and more expensive than just getting a Mini ITX board and PSU that you can shove a 1070 in

>not all Micro-ATX or mini-itx support x16 PCI-express
Get your brain and knowledge checked. All mini-ITX and micro-ATX desktop motherboards support PCI-e X16
>you don't have to share the same PSU for your home theater box and GPU
So you want two frigging PSUs instead of one for... what reason?

I swear eGPU proponents cannot think straight.

with a mini-itx with thunderbolt you don't need the thunderbolt box to be so expensive
They only need to make a decent PCI express to thunderbolt conversion and perhaps inside that case it comes with 200~250W PSU
That would cost less than 70 dollars or 35~40 without the PSU

that looks fucking awful and completely mitigates the main laptop's feature - mobility. Also, you got stuck with a fucking GPU sitting right there on your desk

With a mini-ITX you don't need thunderbolt, just plug the frigging GPU into the the mini-ITX board.

you can leave the gpu on your desk, retard, not everyone has "special needs" like you to play on a train or plane

fuck off, you piece of shit excuse for a human being

Or build a desktop like a non-retard and leave it on the table, with the ability to use any laptop you want and also not throttle your GPU.

That is only useful for low bandwith, high processing complexity, highly parallel workloads like sci computing, mining or developing modern raymarching PC demos.

>iGPUs got to the point where they can play games at 720p no problem
Why all the extra expense?

I'm talking about those mini-atx with CPU bundled which is cheap
In theory a raspberry pi could benefit from not having to rely on PCI-E x16 connection

No PCI x16
asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/index.us.asp

Can you get your terms right? You can't even tell mini-ITX from micro-ATX from mini-ATX(non-existent) from mini-STX.
Plus there's no reason to use mini-STX when you can use mini-ITX.

I forgot all micro-atx had x16 pci slots
but regardless the thing is that your GPU should be portable, a small box with PSU+PCI adapter will work in any computer with thunderbolt 3 connection
That way you can build a very tiny PC and use anywhere with plug n play GPU

A tiny PC is nowhere as portable as a laptop because you still need keyboard/mouse/monitor. Instead of using some frankenstein combination, you can use any cheap laptop and leave a cheap desktop at home. This gives you multiple advantages over a PC-eGPU frankenstein combination.

I'm typing on a T420, that connector lines up with where the displayport is.

OP's pic rel is NOT t420. Stop posting your shitty sublaptop and focus on actual discussion.

>I wouldn't recommend using outputs on the laptop through PRIME/Optimus as it strains the 1x pci-e lane even further.

it's not so bad if you're traveling or otherwise without an external screen to plug into. i've run overwatch and prey at 60 fps at medium detail on my t420's screen

Kill yourself user your shitty t420 has nothing to do with op

I agree 70% with this but CPUs are becoming faster and cheaper so buying a laptop with shit motherboard and shit heatsink is disgusting
I prefer to buy mobile or celeron integrated CPUs at 2.5GHz. Also in 2 or 3 years we'll have 15W version of i3 6100

I'm pretty sure it lines up with his T420 is all I'm saying.

fuck off