SSD?

Thought I would ask here, with 2018 right around the corner, in this day and age should I switch over from a traditional HDD to a SSD? I am using pic related and it performs perfectly with no hiccups even though my desktop is a living dusty bunny, but I am going to fix up and upgrade my computer a little and thought if a SSD is necessary? Games, movies, programs, files, all load up or transfer fast enough to me. If I should upgrade what brand of SSD's should I go with? What is preventing me from buying one so quickly is the horror stories I heard on SSD's, like computer not recognizing them as a hard rive or they instantly stop working, so yeah.

SSD for OS and programs, and potentially scratch space for 4k editing or similar.

HDD for bulk storage, music, pictures, videos, documents, etc.

Larger RAW files you're working on can be on SSD because of larger file size, but HDDs should be used for long term storage.

self bump because Fry's is going to open in 10 mins

agreed for os and programs, but couldn't I just use an external hard drive for bulk storage and files? What brand you use? I am thinking of a 256 gb SSD for my os and programs

>Bought adata 480gb a year ago
>Works
Wew lady , better stay with those 7200rpm cause mechanical parts are better.

I have a large media library so i have around 35TB in HDDs.

Another 2TB in SSDs spread throughout various machines.

Run a NAS with ZFS and use SSD as your boot.

I rate Intel SSDs. I bought one back in 2011 and it's still in perfect condition.

Personally I'm quite happy with the performance of hard drives. Modern OSes can be a bit disk intensive at times, so an SSD would be beneficial there.

Are you trying to be sarcastic?

>horror stories...they instantly stop working
I've had this happen twice so I'm sticking with HDD's.

Would you use a HDD or external hard drive as a backup drive, just keep your os and some programs on the SSD for boot and all around snappiness?

Yeah I'd probably go the same route of SSD for OS and select programs, multiple HDD's for file storage and backup.
It's just that my HDD's have been running for years now ever since the last SSD failure so I never bother to try the upgrade again. OS startup is the thing that feels slow but it's not very important to me.

Thanks for input. Yeah the hard drive that I am using is original pic related but probably manufactured in 2015, so that blue model of that year. It is very reliable so they must be makeing them more solid lately, but I have some money to waste so why not get a ssd for pure performance it is just really a glorified usb flash stick lol. Some one said not to go with a TB or 2 TB because the lower storage capacity you go supposedly the more reliable mechanical hard drives get. Should I go with a 256 gb or a 126 gb ssd? I want to play some games like battlefield 4 and battlefield 1 and want them to run off the SSD, but I am not sure how much space a few games takes up like those lately.

Forgot to ask, what brands of ssd's have instantly died on you or slowly got fucked?

>definite cp collector

lol

Depends how heavy of a gb user you. But with games, 256gb might be better for you so you can fit a few big games along with your OS and other software.
They were both OCZ but before Toshiba bought them out so I can't speak for the current models. They both died the same way; one day they're working great and the next day I turn my PC on and the mobo couldn't see them at all.

Movies, TV, and Anime

Several terabytes of each.

Poorfuck here

Went from multiple 7200rpm to a 255GB ssd and it's sexy as fuck.

I need a wireless phdd to hold my media so I can keep the ssd free for work files.

All programs load in under 5 seconds.
Boot time is less than 10 compared to the 20+.
Waking from sleep is now instant.

No hanging, hickups or transfer drops.

Get a few.

Chink SSD still stronk after almost 30k hours and 14tb writes.

>so yeah

What does this mean?

>Boot time is less than 10 compared to the 20+.
And that's important when you have to reboot 10 times a day, isn't it Winfag?

sshd always. ssds are dead