Why don't you believe in home automation?

Why don't you believe in home automation?

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

dis^

diy fgts

i am able bodied

Yea this
I'm not falling for it unless I make the whole system myself

>Why don't you believe in home automation?
I dont trust any service who does that.
Building your own is fine and fun, but stuff doesnt have to be reachable from outside.

what are you gonna do when some faggot hacks all your shit and sets up appliances to overheat and burn your house down while you're sleeping?

only clueless idiots buy IoT shit. it's literally garbage.

Building your own system would probably be worse in regards to security, especially if you're programming stuff yourself. Sure, companies tend to have shit security in their products but at least they actually have people who are trained in compsec.

I suppose you could probably also just pay to have your shit audited every so often.

You still could use separate solutions for servers that will be available on the internet and either allow or deny you access to the system

The problem is though even if they don't attack your system directly, they could attack the servers.

That said reducing the attack surface would be smarter, even if it means tunnelling it through a vpn and ssh if you absolutely needed to.

>Diy-ing home automation
>using home automation in the first place
Have fun having your lights turned on by Ivan at 3 o clock

Because I work in IT-security.
I know that shit will be hacked.

i got 4 wemo bulbs, shit is FUCKING horrible, the whole system needs resetting, the app take a solid 20 seconds to launch before you can turn your fucking light on, its horrible terminal cancer

Because it's expensive to set up, it's in its infancy, and its pretty much entirely to keep me from having to take 2 seconds to do it myself.

ok, reposting my question now:
just got my ESP8266-01 today. What firmware should I use? I'm planning to install a small webserver on it to control an electronic door

espeasy

cool, thanks

btw dont actually install a webserver
install espeasy, you can just hit an http endpoint to turn a gpio on or off, transistor to relay if the door needs some current

well, I'm trying to create my own webserver with login page, index page, and all that jazz, does the firmware support that?

My apartment is not nearly big enough to warrant home automation.

I can't think of a single thing I'd even want in my house automated. Maybe some way to shoo my dogs out if they're gonna shit while I'm asleep but that'd take magic or 500 years as it would need
>a way to sense when a dog needs out
>a mechanism for unlocking and opening the door
>a method of herding or training the dog to go out even if he would rather just dump on the floor

Nah, I'll just clean it up when it happens while I secretly hope they kick the bucket because I refuse to euthanize them

Came here to post exactly this in this exact way.

Thanks user.

nope, espeasy just adds a web interface which you can use to control the IO on the esp which just makes it easy to control things connected to it without having to write code.

i have written a webserver for it but its not really in good enough condition to release but I can post code if you want, its written in c++, i havent been maintaining it since espeasy 2.0 came out since that does everything i want

I'll jump on the bandwagon as soon as it shows more reliability, security, and functionality.

It's currently in it's infancy, and I'm not willing to take the chance just yet.

cool, can I see yours? Is it arduino C++, yes?

Idiots.

Clearly what you need is a kill/access switch.
Every time you want to turn the lights on a physical switch needs to be flipped to allow you access to the system.

Seeing as you don't need your light switches any more, just repurpose those as the switch.

>letting some neckbeard hack into your house

arduino is c
but you should be able to port this to c without too much trouble
basically configure the thing for server mode "AT+CIPSERVER=1,80"
and call this function in main loop or on serial interrupt and check the return payload length
if the length is > 0you have incoming request
HttpPayload TryReadRequest()
{
HttpPayload r;
r.Length = 0;
char *buffer;

if (buffer = _radio->CheckFor("+IPD"))
{
strtok(buffer, ",");
r.Length = strtok(NULL, ":");
r.Method = strtok(NULL, " ");
r.Path = strtok(NULL, " ");
strtok(NULL, "\r\n");
r.Headers = strtok(NULL, "\r\n");
r.Body = strtok(NULL, "}");

if (strstr(r.Path, "favicon.ico"))
{
HttpPayload response;
response.Code = "404";
SendResponse(&response);
return HttpPayload();
}
}
return r;
}

actually this is useless. it calls too many other functions
well rip until I can get motivation to properly refactor and commend this shit

I wanted to post
>home *surveillance
But the regular botnetposting works too.

The juice will know about me more.

>arduino is c

Post disregarded. Why do people allowed to have opinions about the they don't know?

Ok thanks for the code, user.

Because I'm developing for it, and it's sketchy as fuck.
I don't want that shit in my home.
I'll probably end up programming my own automated home.

Nothing wrong with it if self hosted

I don't have a home. The apartment I live in is temporary.

I would spend more time setting up, coding, and maintaining the system than getting up and do the things manually.

If i could do it without subscribing to a third parties web services and doing it through them rather than using my own servers with standard alone software that never phones hime... i'm all for it.

these

no way in fuck am i trusting this to someone else, and doing it myself is just not worth the effort, the seconds saved won't ever make up for the weeks of getting it all made and tweaked

you've always been able to do it yourself, people have been doing some amount of it themselves for a long time

Because it's a gimmick meme just like smartwatches. Centralized/remote controls for lights and AC/heating have been around since forever and nothing else is particularly useful or important.

There is literally not a single fucking thing that is made "easier" through internet of things meme shit. The only thing you're doing is creating a bunch of breaches that can be exploited and adding points of failure where there wouldn't be any otherwise.

>Russian hackers open your garage and turn up the furnace to cook all your shit

Yeah nah

literally this

>people hack your shit then control your house

no thanks

>Why don't you believe in home automation?
Since when is home automation a belief system.

There's a good reason it was nick-named the Internet of Shit.