/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - 144hz only
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=16384&seq=1&format=2
pcpartpicker.com/list/HKCtTH
bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-studio-28-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-rapid-hard-drive-silver/5679332.p?skuId=5679332
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QrmR3F
ranker.sisoftware.net/show_system.php?q=cea598ab9faa9eaa9cbadde0cdfcdaa895a482ebd6e6c0a895a583fbc6f6d0b5d0edddfb88b58d&l=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just got a 7700k, I have a dark rock 3 on it. 73C with aida 64 at 4.7ghz, voltage left on auto. Case is a fractal design nano s. I have two 140mm fans on intake at 1k rpm, the dark rock 3 at 1400 or 1500rpm, just with the fan that came on it, and a 120mm fan on rear exhaust at 1200rpm. The top moduvent piece of the case is off but has no fans installed, it's just venting. That's pretty decent in my opinion considering it's still almost silent sitting on my desk. What does Sup Forums think?

Also 1080ti, which one is best. I have a Strix card right now and love it. Dead silent, overclocked slightly and is only hitting 62C in that tiny ass case.

Basically I have 2 options that are exactly the same in price but have exactly the same issue.
1. MSI B350M Gaming Pro MOBO with Corsair RAM that is on QVL but with different capacity (16gb on QVL vs 8gb I can buy that's not)
2. ASRock B350M-HDV and G.Skill Trident Z RAM, same shit there - 16gb version is on QVL and 8gb is not.

Wat do

What are the best motherboard options to complement a R5 1600/GTX 1070 build? I had my eyes on the ASUS Prime B-350 Plus but it has slightly subpar reviews from what I've seen.

If it is Ryzen always get RAM that is on the QVL. You don't want your shit not POSTing

posting here because thread got no replies:

this is on sale for $270: 250+20 dollar shipping (no tax apparently).

Is it worth it? it's a tn panel and the bezel is huge i know but its still a 1440p/144hz/27 inch display with freesync. I would have bought it immediately but the fact that it's only a year warranty and the fact that I can't find any non-stock pictures of it on google or completed builds with it on pcpartpicker looks sketchy as hell.

I want something i can use for like 3 years at the very least which I dont think is unreasonable. Otherwise I would just get a 1080p shitter to replace in a year or two.

monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=16384&seq=1&format=2

Any comments about the company in general is welcome too, i don't know shit about them.

Looks like those QC reject korean monitors to me

where can I find a budget card in Australia that is decent and wont cost me 400+

Make sure you get a Dual BIOS board

>pcpartpicker.com/list/HKCtTH

I been recently been saving up about $3000 and been needing a new computer rig because i was a poorfag because of my former job.

I wondering since I got to try out the surface studio I wonder should I just go for studio because it does does suit my needs as a person.

Should I buy the base model Surface Studio or Build this Rig up?

>bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-studio-28-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-rapid-hard-drive-silver/5679332.p?skuId=5679332

Whatever you think suits your needs the most

This user again. Didn't mean to vanish last thread, but had to take care of something that came up in real life. To continue where I loft off from that post, I checked the GPU fans to see if they were spinning, and they were, so I know the card isn't dead. I tried switching PCI-E slots, but no luck. Right now, I'm flushing my CMOS and seeing if that helps, but any other advice would be appreciated.

>not buying monitors with at least 10g

It's like you really love your internal organs

Fan spinning doesn't mean the card isn't dead. Fan spinning simply means the card is powered properly. The best way to test it now is to use it on another mobo. If it still doesn't register then it is fucked.

Well the rig would be much more capable but the Studio is more minimalist and you're paying a lot for the form factor and touchscreen.

If you really like the Studio and it does what you want then by all means just get that. If not then a rig is obviously the best choice.

It's hard to say very much about the part list without knowing your intended uses for this system. I would say in general that you don't need the 960 PRO and would be fine with the cheaper 960 EVO at the same capacity. Buying a Platinum rated PSU is also kind of overkill but that depends on your electricity cost I suppose.

Shit, that's not good then. Don't really have a spare motherboard lying around. I just tried again after putting the motherboard battery back in and it's still not detected.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal, it was time for an upgrade anyway, but prices are garbage at the moment so I'm less than thrilled.

Can't RMA it?

Can someone teach me what to look for in a monitor?
To me all I see is length and aesthetic.

Yeah I think the pros of this rig is
>Custom Builded
>customizable to my liking
>easily can swap up parts
>Sweet lighting effects
>way more flexible

And for your question about getting a platinum psu around my area is about 10ยข kwh so that's why

As for the surface studio
>Clean
>minimalistic
>Zero gravity hinge
>4.5k led display
>touchscreen

Both have pros but I leaning towards the surface Studio

Not exactly a building question but it is related to my build.
I have a phanteks p400s and it has the switch to change fan speeds, this was working previously but yesterday my fans just go full on and the switch won't change anything.
I can't think of anything that's changed besides me attempting to OC my GPU which I've now reverted anyway.
Any ideas?

The graphics card? No, it's a 770 GTX I bought like five years back. If anything, I'd replace it, but it feels pointless to buy a cheap 1050 or something to hold me over, but after today I don't really have the $600 to drop on a 1080.

1080's are going around $400 and hell you can snag a used 980ti or Fury for around $300

If this is my Afterburner panel under load, how would I go about OC it? What does core clock and memory clock mean? And if that's under load, what would be a respectable temp to OC to?

why?

Looking to sell my old mini itx system to fund a new one, but don't know how much its worth

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 SE
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II
RAM: G.Skill F3 16GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W Power Supply

What would this be worth if I were to sell it roughly?

How are the fans power? Are there in header pins that support modulation?

What are you looking for? A gaming monitor or a content production monitor? The two most important things are resolution and monitor type (TN vs. VA vs. IPS) but there are lot's of other smaller details.

You can't
You might be able to buy a card off newegg because they have different stock for international sales

Yes they're all powered fine, the manual controller did work perfectly up until yesterday, now it's as if the switch isn't doing anything.
I guess the switch might be broken, but I've only had the case 2 weeks.

Try manually controlling the fans and see if that works. Like Speedfan.

I'd probably ask $500 for a local sale

Already tried that, doesn't make any difference they just run at a constant speed with no change , got me stumped.

Try reading the case manual might be something you missed. Or else just RMA it.

My new Rosewell Nighthawk arrived in the mail. My new MSI B350 Tomahawk arrived in the mail. (A day early!/Seven days late!)

Swap everything over to the new box, plug it all in. Start wiring up the box cables.

Flip the switch and press power.
Nothing.

I was at least getting fans spinning in a different box with a different mobo; is there a way to test power on a mobo? I'm thinking I may have the box cables plugged in wrong (they're a little unclearly labeled, no +/-, just a triangle on one side and nothing on the other of the power/reset switch pin-sleeves. ) Should I be able to plug in the power button from the abandoned microATX (but proven to work) case?
It's a beautiful big black monolith, I want to love it. But I currently can't even tell if the power supply is working. (It was before though.)

Aren't there little led's on the mobo that should light up if its receiving power?
That's how I figured out I frazzled my psu because I fucked up the voltage

Ryzen? Ryzen first boots takes really fucking long. Just let it sit for a while. It will cycle on and off a few times.

No lights, no fans spinning, nothing.

Should the fans and such be working when it happens? There's literally no sign of life in there no matter what I do to it.

thanks user

my guess was around 550-600 AUD, which is a little less than what you said assuming you're in USD

It should spin up POST and then reboot. It will POST like 5 times before booting. No sign of life probably means you have a dead mobo. Check your connections. If you have a spare PSU, test it with that. Otherwise just RMA.

There is also a giant chasm of difference in performance between the two. Just the GPU difference alone is pretty huge with a 1080 Ti vs a 965m.

Ok I don't think I missed anything, as I said it was working fine for the past 2 weeks and then just suddenly stopped, so I think it may be a faulty switch after all.
Thanks for the help.

There should be a power on switch on the board itself you can use.

What about this
>i5 4670
>ASRock B85M Pro4
>16Gb G.Skill Ripjawz
>64GB SSD
>2x2TB HDD
>Fractal Define R4 Case
>Antec 620w
And a depending on which GPU I add
>660, 1060 or RX570

Many thanks. I'm thinking 600/800/900

I have yet to be able to POST.
I think I had a janky thermaltake case that burnt out two motherboards (and came with a hell of a lot less content than the Rosewell monster has) and I've shifted to full ATX as a result.

I'm just trying to figure out whether it's plausible that the CASE's chips are DOA, and that's why the buttons aren't working to turn things on or power fans or whatever, or the MOBO is the dead component, and that's again, why nothing is working. I don't have spare AMD shit so it's hard to figure out a way to test.

recommend any micro atx cases?

Define C

How do you transfer Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD? Google gives like 10 different methods.

Do you just want to move it across or actually install it onto the SSD? If the later download the ISO file and make an install USB/disc and run it, installing onto the SSD.

Fresh install is the best way.

I re applied the thermal paste on my CPU today for the first time in like 3 years. I was idling before at like 41C and now im at like 37C. It used to be 34c. I used the pea method to apply, so will this eventually improve once the paste gets settled?

Proper installation.

Sorry for sounding like a massive newfag, but download the iso file? Does that mean I'm not retaining the original license? Doesn't Windows 10 pro sell for like $200?

What is your current license? OEM? Full?

my pseudointellectual friend told me that i5 single cores are better than i7 quad cores for video games
Is this try? Why if so.

Your friend is special. Be nice to special people.

No, it's false. The architecture is the exact same, and i7 have more cache to work with so it's cores are either equally as strong or slightly strong if the workload benefits from having more cache

no bullying special people

>no bullying special people
Word. But do bully morons on the internet.

How does this make you feel?

>slightly strong
slightly stronger

hot

That is a really gay wallpaper user.
You want some S U C C?

>1.76 core voltage
please provide your geolocation data to Google Hoome so it can call the fire department

For a gaming PC, sacrificing on the graphics card in favor of a better CPU is not worthwhile. If downgrading from an i7 to an i5 means you can go from a x60 card to a x70 card, then downgrade the CPU. If you can afford i7 and a x70 card, then get both.

Within the same architecture, the only advantage i7s have over i5s is the hyperthreading. Core-to-core, they are the same.

The i7 will beat the i5 every time, but an i5/x70 system will beat an i7/x60 system in every game.

People kept recommending the i5 over the i7 because the price between them typically meant you could upgrade from a 960 to a 970 and still pay the same amount for the computer. The 970 is massively more powerful than the 960. This pricing is less true for the 10 series, which has a wider gap in price between the 1070 and the 1060.

x70 & x60 mean gtx 1070 and gtx 1060 here

>2 weeks from Vega
>Still no leaks
I think the RX is really going to suck boys

Not sure. (not mine, helping someone else). It was upgraded during the free upgrade period so whatever that is.

If it is OEM and it goes onto a new system, the windows license will deactivate if there is too much hardware change (new mobo, new CPU) etc. OEM licenses are tied to the hardware they are first installed on.

If it is a full license, the key is transferable. No issues there.

Regardless, you will have to install W10 on the SSD to find out. If you need cheap keys, Kinguin/AllKeySite sell them from 5-25 dollars each but they are all OEM keys.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QrmR3F

Nice GPU faggot

Any reason to not use the Pentium G4560 for a build for my parents (browsing and video watching)? Should I wait for Ryzen 3?

Also I'm torn between 1440p60IPS and 4K60IPS for the screen. Is 4K going to be the new 1080p for low end users in the next 10 years?

they would be fine with a core 2 duo desu

Just wait for 16k bro

>$1439
>10 core

Ryzen 3 probably doesn't have an iGPU so you're better off getting the Pentium.

forgot picture

shut up you moron. the whole point of r3 ia that it has a apu (igpu)

once Ive narroed my motherboard search down to boards that have the right cpu slot and desired pci slots, usbs ect
what more is important? what causes price variance past the factors listed above?

Do you have a source for that? It seems likely they'll just use the same die as the current ryzens so it won't have an iGPU.

Here is the roadmap, and Ryzen PRO doesn't have an iGPU (although the mobile probably will)
So there's only Ryzen 3 left so have iGPU in there.

Transplanting my old-ass closet server into this slick little thing. Goddam it's cramped, I hope I can maintain any semblance of airflow. Any tips on cramped cable management besides just zipties everywhere?

>So there's only Ryzen 3 left so have iGPU in there.
You're retarded. They already released Ryzen 3 PRO without an iGPU, why are you expecting the consumer Ryzen 3 to have one? The only confirmed Ryzen APU right now is called "Ryzen Mobile".

> (AUD)
still a bit much

>The only confirmed Ryzen APU right now is called "Ryzen Mobile".
No you autistic fuck, they didn't include HDMI / VGA / DVI on almost every AM4 motherboard just for the fucking lulz
Desktop APUs have been planned for 2018, and only Ryzen 3 is left for them to release their APUs

I got a ASRock B250M for 50 bucks and a used i5 to go into it for a budget build with a 580 I already had. I gotta say this shit has been 100% stable and works flawlessly. Really impressed since its a budget mobo and a second hand CPU. Using it with a freesync gook ultra wide and for something as cheap as it was it feels like a real high end setup

where is AMD's R3s?

the fucking G4560 is almost $100 now

Why don't the Ryzen 3 PRO chips have an iGPU then? If Ryzen 3 was "Raven Ridge" it should have one, right?

Too bz saving the Vega at the moment

august i bet

i thought the fucking APU versions were supposed to be out by then

really quite difficult to google
ranker.sisoftware.net/show_system.php?q=cea598ab9faa9eaa9cbadde0cdfcdaa895a482ebd6e6c0a895a583fbc6f6d0b5d0edddfb88b58d&l=en
why would am4 all have video out if r3 doesnt?

According to whom?

you're pretty stupid, r3 release q3.

They already have Bristol Ridge that uses AM4 and has an iGPU. There already is Ryzen 3 (PRO) without an iGPU. Why are you expecting them to sell APUs under the "Ryzen 3" name?

the link shows an r3 gpu test.

Where the hell does it say "r3"? It most likely is the Raven Ridge chip, not "Ryzen 3".

>$500 aud minimum for an RX580
MINEFAGS OUT

Your setup is fire fireman

You are in luck Etherium is sub 200 now. Suicide incoming.

Prepare for price drop. Start searching for refurbished GPUs within a week.

If I'm just installing Windows 10 via ISO on a new drive without adding any other hardware, will it ask for a key?