Harness the lambda user before you are left in the dust. Salvation through wisdom. Wisdom through salvation

Harness the lambda user before you are left in the dust. Salvation through wisdom. Wisdom through salvation.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/data61/fp-course
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There will never be a purely functional system.

Forgive him father he does not know what he says.

Your stateless code runs as a stateful process, in a stateful OS, on stateful hardware.

There will never be a purely functional system.

na na na nana I cant hear yoyu you are stupid

The words you are reading live in a stateful system. They are displayed as stateful pixels on an ever-changing stateful screen.

Your eyes change states from the light of the screen, which manipulates the state of your mind.

Your thoughts are all stateful. You cannot change it. You can merely change the state of your brain in an attempt to ignore it.

I am a math nerd (algebra, topology, alg. geometry, category theory) and I am trying to learn haskell to... do math stuff? Could anyone link me to some motivating examples/research?

philosophical question:

aren't functional languages a subset of procedural? like i could just have a 1 line main method that calls recursive methods with all the relevant information, so i never have any static variables. isn't that the definition of functional or no?

Friendly reminder that mathematics are a subgroup of computer science.

You can write pure functional programs in impurely functional languages, but you cannot write impurely functional programs in purely functional languages.

Is there a way to have a functional or almost functional OS? The only way I can think of is to start with a VM snapshot and just reload that every execution.

have a look at github.com/data61/fp-course
if you know category theory, i'm sure you will know what functors, applicatives, monads and whatnot are..

what if each change of state is a pure function?

My computer being booted or not is a state. Bootloading, File system detection, mounting, systemd, etc. deals with states. You can't make an OS without being impure. Fite me.

it's all matter of perspective, if you have pure functions that can generate the state changes then you can. I mean what is assembly when it is just some dead binary on a disk and not being interpreted by a machine? we don't even know if time is moving or if everything has already been determined, perhaps just our lack of being able to perceive all dimensions is holding us back from just seeing everything as it is.

Whoe the fuck remembers Haskell anymore? It's all about that sweet Rust baby!

*silent sobbing from under a table*

NixOS

>lambdas
Every modern language has these.
Haskell is a meme.
t. reading LYAHFTGG at job

Ok
*uses Common Lisp instead of Haskell*