What's the best way to keep the i7 4790k cooled down? Not overclocking it...

What's the best way to keep the i7 4790k cooled down? Not overclocking it. I installed the Hyper Evo 212 and idle temps are about 35-40 celsius. Is that pretty normal you think? Think there's any way I could decrease temps by 10 degrees? I just dust sprayed it out.

I don't know how accurate Core Temp 1.9 is.

I'm asking because I was just playing a game at 1440p60fps, and recording it too, through NVIDIA's capture thingy, and went to check on Core Temp, and I had reached 100 celsius. Is the Evo212 really that shitty?

try reinstalling your cooler

The 212+ EVO is a meme cooler, but not THAT bad.
A slightly larger rice corn sized dip of thermal paste after cleaning old gunk with alcohol should do you good.

My 4790 runs 65C full load with my 212 EVO at idle.

No matter what cooler you use it ultimately comes down to room temperature being the biggest factor.
Noctua Dh-15 here, OC to 4.6GHz all cores.

Most of the time I'm using my computer, it's about 78-85 degrees Fahrenheit in my room. Probably doesn't help that I have 2 cats that make their way into my room, their fur probably makes its way somehow into my PC, right? Yeah, this place I live only has a heater. You think it's worth looking into getting one of those AC units you can put in my window? My window is pretty close to where my PC is set up.

>You think it's worth looking into getting one of those AC units you can put in my window? My window is pretty close to where my PC is set up.
Yes.

update its bios first.

with a h100i, mine gets pretty hot, 80c running some of those benchmark things. when i had default cooler, it would reach 100c in like 30 seconds under that same benchmark. no overlock

the i7 4790k is a housefirestarter 2bh

not really, the h100i is just shit.
Ive never gone above 80 with a kraken 61

have you run occt with it? that's the one that made mine shit itself

normally, the temperatures are fine. going by reviews, i am pretty sure there isn't that much difference between the two. it's also hot where i live

>No matter what cooler you use it ultimately comes down to room temperature being the biggest factor.
mfw I live in a 104 F hellhole

you're a goddamn retard.

Line down the middle OP.

Also get a real cooler.

Hyper 212 is a fucking memetastic peice of shit

4790K here with Hyper 212+ and on full load I don't go past 80c with ambient temperature of 30 celsius.

The 212 EVO is just werks tier and is good unless its over $25-30.

>caring about temps

if its not shutting down, its fine. the shutdown temp is like 20-30c before the damage point.

can you comprehension?

Can you?

Liquid nitrogen cooler.

>that fan speed

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

>65c at idle
>all cpu cores and threads over 50%
>idle

You're a special kind of retard, aren't ya?

Also

>that fan speed

You're the biggest retard in this entire thread, retard.

Try reading again.

Look at this retard
LMAO

>Intel Stock HSF
>40°C idle 55°C under load 60°C under stress
Alright i guess.

>60C load
That must be loud as fuck since it's gotta need 100% fan to do that. Why do you have your fan profile set like that?

Not really, fastest is goes is 2000RPM, its really quiet.
The exhaust 80mm side fan i had made more noise.

The Evo 212 is fine.

The problem is that the 4790k uses semen as a thermal interface material between the die and the heat spreader, which doesn't conduct well. It's the Intel kikery tactic for giving you an overclocked cpu that cannot overclock.

If you remove the heat spreader, clean up that shit inside and use a liquid metal material (only for the inside, cause it eats aluminium), you can get anywhere from 10-30C lower temps.

Ok, I just ran one of my Dells up to 2k and I guess that's not too bad.
I'd change the profile so it goes closer to 70C, though. You're keeping it unnecessarily cool and it would be quieter if you let the temperature differential get a little higher so the fan didn't have to work so hard.

I have the fan profile to go 100% when it reaches 65.
From 50 to 64 its 75%
Anything under 50 its 30%.

Still is not like sound matters because the GPU fans are louder than the heatsink fans when they're not off.

If it doesn't bother you, that's fine.
I like it quiet.

Do you have your GPU set to go to 100% at 65C, too?

Do you have CPU minimum power management at 100%

No, till 75°C which i rarely reach.
Still at 40% fan speed they are loud.

How do I check that?

My 6800k has never gone over 50c oc'd to 4.4ghz and with voltage at 1.45v

Right click start, power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, scroll down to processor power management, open then open minimum processor state

Hm. I don't think I've ever had a card that was loud at 40%.
Try running Furmark with the case both closed and open and see if the temps/fan improves. If they do you have a case cooling issue. A small thing can make a big difference: I had a case with only one fan that I switched from an exhaust to an intake, which should've improved things if anything, but it actually raised GPU temps by 6C and and made the fan ramp sky-high.

You should be cooler than that on idle if you installed it right and did thermal paste right. Load temps are what actually matters anyways.

My 4790k @ 4.7 idles at 27C, and under 10 hours of 100% load it tops out at like 84C, no delid.

I have this exact same setup. Make sure the ambient temperature in your room isn't lower than you're trying to get it, because that's impossible to do safely.

I sit at 32 with a YouTube video sitting open and maybe high 60s farenheit in here.

What's wrong with the fan speed?

Is your CPU better than r1600?

You're thinking of the 4770k, the real Haswell housefire. Devil's Canyon improved on the TIM but it's still shit compared to solder.

>under 10 hours of 100% load it tops out at like 84C,
That's pretty bad, you should have aimed for 75-76C which is what I get at 4.6GHz.

On AVX2 loads and stuff? I really doubt that.

10 hours of 7zip, which uses AVX/AVX2 by the way, would be a better benchmarking tool

What I meant is given how much AVX2 stress test heat the CPU, 75/76°C seems like bullshit. Or he has an excellent watercooling.
Or he doesn't use AVX2 stress test. Or his CPU throttles with power limit or one of this new setting on Kabylake which reduces CPU speed when AVX2/FMA3 is used. But in both these cases, I wouldn't validate it as "full" OC.
Mine is 4.5GHz, my 6600k goes to 85°C after several hours of prime95 with AVX2/FMA3 instructions used.But if I use an older prime95 (or just deactivate AVX2/FMA3 through the ini file), it doesn't go over 70°C or so.Keep in mind I got a lemon and I have to push it to 1.35V so it can pass prime95 AVX2/FMA3 stress test.

I was wondering how all the people could push their CPU to 4.6GHz with way lower vcore than mine, but after a few research I realise most people don't stress it with AVX2 when using prime95 (or Aida64 without FPU stressing) or bullshit stuffs like realbench which doesn't fully stress your computer, even if it uses 7zip as one of the task.

So mine is 4.5GHz at 85°C in prime, but it's really fully stressed, system can't be stressed more than that and I know for a fact it will never throttle with AVX2 and I will never have a "bad surprise" (insane temp or even crash) because AVX2 software would require a bit more vcore.

ffmpeg, x265, x264, all use AVX/AVX2
watching your animes in x265? you're using AVX2
try benchmarking using those

They don't stress the CPU enough, though they're great for checking for stability (only BSOD I ever had on my rig was stressing with x264). But they don't heat the CPU to push its temperatures to the max.
But for temperatures, there is no better stress test than prime95 with AVX2. That way you can be sure of your max temperature with your cooling solution, it will never go over prime95 AVX2 stress.

I'm just talking about temperature by the way and unlike I'm not shocked by temps. I think anytime somebody tells his OC load temps, he should precise what software because if you check OC forums and all, you realize a shitload of people say "don't use latest prime, use this one version before AVX2" and while they're stable with such version of prime95 and have decent temps, they're OC wouldn't be stable once they'd use prime95 with AVX2.

been thinking of getting a 4790k. will i be ok on cooling if i use a 212 evo and if the ambient temp stays at about 50-60° F?

been using an i5 4430 and it reaches about 60° C on medium load

Where are you going to get a discontinued CPU without being price gouged?

i'm aware that the price is gouged, but the 4790k is the best possible cpu for my current socket. i was thinking about moving to am4 or am3+, but i'm unsure.

If you can't find it used without the chip taking a beating, because they usually are, go AMD. Avoid AM3, go AM4. 4 years of support for that socket.

Maybe your thermal paste is shit?
Maybe you should delid?
Or simply use an AIO water cooler?

Yeah-- I'm wondering why the engine has a plastic cover over it... thefuq?

Dig your build-- what case did you choose, why? Why Win 7 SP1?

Fractal R4 full atx tower, no window sound foam version. Dual boot windows 7 and 10 LTSB, found out 10 ate up more CPU cycles compared to 7 on idle, so I stuck to 7 and rectified the lack of certain features like virtual desktops by ricing.

Tanks-- honestly, primarily what do you do with this machine? Is it a game? Which?

I use it for everything I want except serious shitposting. That's on a linux laptop.