All intel has to do to fix their thermals is sell bare-die chips and refuse to warranty cracking the die

All intel has to do to fix their thermals is sell bare-die chips and refuse to warranty cracking the die.

Other urls found in this thread:

overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/
pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah

and they should charge extra for the privilege

Problem: They'd get so many broken dies that people would stop buying them eventually.

>sell bare-die chips
and market them as an X SKU for true overclocking enthusiasts
K SKU and lower would still have IHS
and ofc, X SKU would be more expensive

the true jew strategy

I've never had trouble with cracked dies. I can't imagine so but was this really such an 'issue' back when cpus came bared.

I personally think this is a mostly trivial issue being greatly exaggerated by a small but vocal minority ("high performance"-type people).

I'm an AMD fan but I'm kind of with Intel on this "issue". The thermals are fine for what they are being sold as. Grow up and realize you're not entitled to being able to overclock it. If you can, good for you. If not, tough shit son.

>I've never had trouble with cracked dies.
this
as long as you're not a blazing retard and don't tighten one screw all the way down before proceeding with others, you're fine. It's not fucking rocket science

>Grow up and realize you're not entitled to being able to overclock it
I would say that stops being an excuse when the CPU alone costs $1000. The goop they're putting in there is barely better than nothing at all.

>realize you're not entitled to being able to overclock it
not valid for CPUs with unlocker multipliers
also see

I have a very slightly clipped Sempron that still works

>don't tighten one screw all the way down before proceeding with others
while good advice, socket 462 cpus did not use screws to secure the heatsink. they used metal clamps that you had to grab and pull down with a flat head screwdriver, which often required quite a bit of force

And if you slipped it would gouge the fuck out of the board.

>225x225
I didn't know ANT-tech made motherboards.

It's supposed to illustrate a point, not be a microscope-level die shot you flaming autist

BIG.

>you had to grab and pull down with a flat head screwdriver
Thirteen to sixteen year old me had no problem doing this by hand every 6 months or so when I felt like cleaning it. Are you a weakling?

I just love how many Intel users defend the TIM under the IHS with the "CPU longevity" argument when not one of those fuckers where angry with "oh my cpu is not going to last" when intel soldered there CPU in the past

>I am an adult and so I like my $1000 equipment to be dogshit
Truly an intelligent opinion

from my experience it depended greatly on the cooler. Stock cooler that came with my s754 Athlon64 could be mounted by hand, older Duron ones couldn't.

Much better thank you brb in my bunk

The article they claim that shit is from is so stupid.

overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

>A thermal cycle is performed by going from -55 °C to 125 °C while each temperature is hold for 15 minutes. The micro cracks will grow over time and can damage the CPU permanently if the thermal resistance increases too much or the solder preform cracks completely.

Unless you're reguarly dunking your CPU in LN2, you aren't going to get this thermal cycling effect.

This is 100% bullshit. I don't know how they expect anyone to fall for this.

C2Ds were soldered, I ran mine at 3.5GHz (from 1.8 stock) for years as a gaming/rendering machine, still works fine to this very day in a file server.

Sandy Bridges were soldered, I still run mine at 80C load since launch without a problem.

Pentium 4s were also soldered IIRC, they also work fine to this day, even though they ran hot.

Besides I can't imagine Intel wants people to use one CPU for 5-10 years.

They could just solder the IHS and have 0 problems.

That article fascinates me, for a site that is all about overclocking there is pretty heavy defense against one of the things that is heavily prohibiting overclocking.
You should not need anything substantial to get decent temps at stock clocks and to get the max OC from a chip should not take anything more that a decent tower air cooler for the desktop chips.
Even for x299 it takes an AIO just to cool the fucker at stock clocks.

I wonder who could be behind this

>Sell CPU marketed as overclockable
>Y-you're just entitled!
Stop defending false advertising.

Wait
people actually take off the IHS?
>muh 1ºC

Its more than a 1C improvement when overclocking it can be as much as a 10-20c improvement when the paste under the IHS is replaced with stuff like liquid metal
It's not that the chips product alot of heat when overclocking is just that there is a bottleneck between the CPU die and the IHS and you will hit 100c before you hit max stable overclock no matter how badass of a cooler you have

More like 20c or more.

If it truly was 1C nobody would give a shit.
But it's not.

Honestly though, what the fuck are you OCing to actually see a 20º improvement

*8.3GHz to play muh CS:GO*

>Just don't OC
pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/

Hi intel sales rep

Just a normal OC most people would do with there 7700k, the heat transfer bottleneck between the die and IHS is just that bad when you are using paste instead of solder