Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY
github.com/graalvm/truffleruby/tree/master/src/main/java/org/truffleruby
youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0
cs2.ist.unomaha.edu/~stanw/172/csci4500/UNIXProgrammingEnvironment.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

imagine using a language that doesn't support multicore

What's a good C# framework/library for someone who knows the fundamentals?

How does it feel knowing that programming without a license will become illegal in your lifetime?

>TSA: why would you carry a programming book if you don't work for a computer company???

What languages are current in the industry for app/software development?

blackjack server in node.js. it distributes btc addresses for clients to make deposits to then distributes cards / takes actions and relays the actions of users to the others in the game room

Always remember to properly initialize to avoid undefined behavior!

youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY

buddhism is basically type theory

>buttcoin gambling
how is this not more widespread

good for me, bad for the country

that's what he gets for reading the Prata book

2bh, a programming license sounds like a good and terrible idea. Depending on who runs in and how the license is given.

its pretty widespread, fortunejack.com for ex, but i want mine to be no registration / no email required

It's obviously going to become more restricted. The government is going to restrict the fuck out of computers in general once 3D printing stops being only shitty plastic and once we start getting programmable gene splicers and molecule assemblers.

You think faggot normies are gonna be cool if you can genetically engineer waifus? When we can pirate monsanto's seeds? When we can print guns in a little box on our desk?

No, they're gonna get propoganda'd the fuck by monsanto and the government.

>tfw CS gf
>tfw she's shit so I help her with piss-easy java assignments
>tfw she worships me/ my dick for it
Living the dream.

>once we start getting programmable gene splicers and molecule assemblers.
Obviously these things will be regulated, not programming itself. Or am I being too optimistic?

>tfw shes using you
>tfw she's also getting dicked by chad
>tfw you're getting dumped when she graduates
>tfw she gets the job over you because diversity

There is no reason not to do all new development in Idris

Why would she want a dick that is useless ourside the JVM?

do you agree with this?

Working on an HFT bot
It's always more right than wrong and thus theorically make money.
It's around 1000$ every 2 days if I have 1 bitcoin or more

performance

I love idris lad, but its slow as molasses.

>Java
>Fast
AhAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

The strawman is easily dismantled by uttering "LLVM".

lolno

CS is for brainlets. I'm actually a mechanical engineer doing graduate studies.

No, not at all.
Here's how it should really be.
>prototype a new language
>skip the VM but don't use java either
>people start using it
>and it's already faster than java-based languages

The JVM is too limiting

must be nice being able to believe everything you want is true with no concern for reality

I'm not much of a C# dev, but I would imagine that you would come to a framework with a specific need.

Maybe if you provided what sort of projects you want to be working on?

t. idiot

That being said, the JVM is pretty fast when you consider that it has garbage collection for mutable data. Unfortunately it assumes that you want this.

>no value types

Good point.

/dpt/ can sscanf be used as a parser?

Only for very basic shit.

Actually, is that even a limitation of the JVM or just Java? Surely a value type could be compiled as syntactic sugar for all of its fields.

excuse me?

Oh ok thanks
not me:

in a way that would violate the ideal of the design. you should be piping to your analysis tool

The JVM, I don't think it can construct an array of anything other than primitives and references.

Threadly reminder that type autism (AKA type """theory""") was a mistake.

As in there's no way to get it to contiguously allocate memory outside of reference types and homogeneous arrays? That makes sense.

has anyone here read the unix programming environment by brian kernighan?

Way too optimistic I feel. At first only the nanomachines, nano assemblers, gene splicers, and 3d metal printers will be restricted, but there will obviously be ones that end up being used for things that the powers that be don't like. Units will get stolen.

Then we see calls to restrict dangerous knowledge. The future holds no computers as we know them, but restricted ones that you cannot program, that you can only install apps. That way you can't install the software that would let you program these machines.

Eventually all compilers will require government licensing and require that the government have full privilege to inspect the results.

DRM is the result of media companies who are small fries. Imagine, imagine user, the big fries.

why do these people season their milk with feet

>I don't want better error detection, performance, and documentation that is forced to be accurate

it uses SubstrateVM+GraalVM and not the standard JVM. the combo is designed to handle every programming language (reasonably) imaginable

they've implemented Ruby on top of this thing they're working on and it's 7 times faster than the reference Ruby implementation written in C. the implementation is in Java github.com/graalvm/truffleruby/tree/master/src/main/java/org/truffleruby

Pretty much. Was in the same situation. But she stopped putting out way sooner than I expected.

he said type theory, it's not even an argument about static vs dynamic or strong vs weak typing, he just found a silly picture and wanted to post it

>types are good but the people who came up with them are bad! the next thing they come up with will never be a thing i use!

Stop replying to the JShitposter.
His greatest hits include:
>he needs static typing
>Javascript is a programming language
>there is nothing wrong with node
>Dynamic typing is [...]
etc

But what if we kill them first?
If this is what it's like to be a person in the future, wouldn't deliberately ushering in the robot apocalypse be a mercy killing?
Besides, if the drivers we write for these advanced and dangerous technologies are kept reasonably simple, we could easily keep them under our control so that only the people who would have problems with people programming without a license have to die.

of course. you have to read the book first to post in these threads

youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

Yes, I think that's right. So if you have a class that contains an int and a string, there's no way to have an array of it as a value type, or even an array of alternating ints and strings as a workaround.

>Then we see calls to restrict dangerous knowledge. The future holds no computers as we know them, but restricted ones that you cannot program, that you can only install apps. That way you can't install the software that would let you program these machines.
I suppose we are already seeing this to some extent. Scary stuff.

>the combo is designed to handle every programming language (reasonably) imaginable
Which is to say that they're Turing complete? Unprecedented.
>they've implemented Ruby on top of this thing they're working on and it's 7 times faster than the reference Ruby implementation written in C. the implementation is in Java
It's funny that you think this is a meaningful result.

Type theory in the context of programming means what I listed.

what languages does it discuss, and to what depth?

Except none of those things are true.

Try again.

Javascript is ok, quite fast with a JIT like v8 (faster than python, ruby, php or asp.net)

the real problem is front end frameworks and bad programmers

realistically you should be reading it as you read K&R. at least, i wish someone had told me that way back when.

ATS
Checkmate script kiddies.

read the book here

cs2.ist.unomaha.edu/~stanw/172/csci4500/UNIXProgrammingEnvironment.pdf

>language X is limiting
>HUR DUR IT CAN'T LIMITING BE BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL TURING COMPLETE
autism is funny

>It's funny that you think this is a meaningful result.
having true beliefs is funny sometimes too, yes

We must not give up an inch. We must frame the debate in terms of liberating rights we have already given up, rather than saying "okay, but this time no more."

Also we should push and push to get non-human legal entities to not have constitutional rights. We need to take away corporation's free speech and ability to influence government. Corporations are NOT persons as the Milgram experiment clearly showed. Judges routinely apply the fallacy of composition to corporations.

The limitations of the JVM mean that bytecode cannot be sufficiently optimized by the compiler or by the JVM implementation.

I should say, it's funny that you think this is a meaningful result beside the fact it makes Ruby better. And it's a false dichotomy.

It's faster than Python lol

And you don't need that kind of speed unless you're doing FPS games or AI

>It's faster than Python
That's not saying much.
>And you don't need that kind of speed unless you're doing FPS games or AI
You're fucking retarded.
>lol
Jesus christ, fuck off.

Excessively typed languages like Rust, Scala, and Haskell are all Turing tarpits because fiddling with types occupies more of the programmer's time than actually solving problems.

It's very useful for parsing simple delimited lists (typically using a comma or whitespace as delimiter), something that many languages lack a built-in tool for. It's pretty trivial to use it as a simple verb-noun parser for text adventures. But for more complex formats, it's far from ideal.

imagine believing spending a moment fixing a type error is more cumbersome than writing a dozen tests that still won't catch it if you mess up elsewhere later

this is irrelevant here because substratevm doesn't use java bytecode

it is going to cut the development time of language implementations and they will be fast by default

>That's not saying much.
It's faster than Python
>You're fucking retarded.
And you don't need that kind of speed unless you're doing FPS games or AI
>Jesus christ, fuck off.
lol

hi notch

Imagine believing that if it compiles, it must work. Imagine believing that type checking can catch nontrivial errors.

ECMAScript would be an excellent language, if it weren't for the fact that most code written it in has negative utility to the user.

>fast by default
You and I have different definitions of fast.

>has negative utility to the user
explain

>Imagine believing that if it compiles, it must work.
imagine believing that users of static typing users believe this

Most errors aren't type errors. Stop lying to yourself. Excessive typing makes your code highly verbose, extremely fragile, and impossible to refactor.

99% of ECMAScript code encountered by the average user is in the form of JavaScript, specifically JavaScript used to implement spyware, ads, and miscellaneous bloat that slows your web browser to a crawl.

I agree, as I said, we just need more competent devs and this wont be an issue

imagine spending time arguing about useless bullshit that literally no one cares about

t. never used first class types

You're the one who said type checking can replace unit tests.

post what you think its good ECMAscript

They are, you're just not using sufficiently precise types.

yes. yours seems to be pretty useless outside of niches like game development

And it can. Just not all of them.

>it can.
>Just not all of them.

>game development
>multi billion dollar industry
>niche

>you just haven't gone deep enough into the autism
It's needless mental overhead that makes programming more complicated than it needs to be. Your focus should be on solving problems, not stupid cargo cult bullshit.

>"first class types"
what do you mean by this

What part of this are you struggling with?

Turing complete type systems. Not even joking.

Type autism is a mental illness.

Where types can be used the same as literals in every regard.

Strongly normalizing type systems.

>pattern matching on types

turing completeness is a meme

I don't think it's really a "code quality" issue, it's more that it's not the most efficient language to begin with (and it shouldn't be expected to be, since it's a scripting not a systems language) but has become excessively used on the web, causing needless slowdown to provide "features" that the average user doesn't even want. Probably more of a web culture issue than a programming one desu.