Home Server General

Ok what are you running?

Did you fall for the "I opened nonstandard ports so I'm safe" meme?

Why aren't you hosting gmod/csgo servers and selling admin for $10/month to make easy money?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lavabit/magma
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-J1900N-D3V-rev-1x#ov
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because there are no good servers for a $200-$500 budget.

Just lots of super old overpriced shit and the new market is expensive as fuck.

Because 0.6mbps up connection

Raspberry server, with Apache/Php/sql installed on Raspberrian.
Cause I can

>Ok what are you running?
FreeBSD
>Did you fall for the "I opened nonstandard ports so I'm safe" meme?
Fortunately not
>Why aren't you hosting gmod/csgo servers and selling admin for $10/month to make easy money?
Wouldn't do it on my home line but maybe on a shitty t2.micro instance

this is how homeserverfags actually live

youre dumb. any computer can be a server

For fucking what? A shitty hp desktop can't handle traffic for shit

>Home Server
home servers are a meme

is an 8th gen HPE Proliant the best bang for the buck i can get?

>A shitty hp desktop can't handle traffic for shit
we're reaching levels of summer that shouldn't be possible

I rarely this but please go back to r*ddit

github.com/lavabit/magma

Is this any good? I wanted to set up a mail server and maybe sell accounts for bitcoins, how secure is it really?

What kind of fucking traffic will you be throwing at your own home server? How many people do you give access to your homoerotic media that you stockpile?
Why would you ever buy Haych Pee?

This, buy

>threadripper
>Mobo
>64 gb ram
>4x 10 tb hard drives
>Raid card
Bam, home server for $500

What inspires someone to post like this on a board dedicated to technology?

>Raid card

If you meant 24 10TB disks I could understand the RAID controller. Threadripper boards are likely to support at least 8.

>dell optiplex off ebay for $50
> on board gig ethernet
>4x 4tb for i dunno
>mdadm for raid
bam home server for like $200

You don't belong here Chad.

His board might not support "hardware" raid. Not all do.

Who in their right mind uses that? You're better off chucking the same money a decent RAID controller goes for at a terabyte of SSD cache.

Well if you need an extra terabyte why not just buy that along with the raid controller?

hardware raid is for idiots

hardware raid is botnet

Which is fine, because it's inferior to software raid

My comfy IPTV server running Debian. No GUI so uses like 30MB of RAM and about 200MB once a few clients are connected. Found the hardware in a dumpster so the only cost was the tuner cards and compact flash.

>server board
>no sata ports

Sounds cool. Can you give us any more detail about it all

because electricity costs and the bandwidths speeds I would get would make it inefficient compared to plenty of other locations and with my depression I would make a shitty lazy server host

>posting technology related things on a board about technology
>fucking retarted amirite?

>61375569
yes please do

oh god i just realized im retarded

HP Gen8 Microserver running CentOS 7 + OpenStack Ocata

Are you blind?

Like what? It's just a P4 shitbox running various DVB packages.

>Dell r710
>48gb of ram
>raid 6 array with 2TB usable
>File server vm
>pfsense
>sonarr
>radarr
>sabnZbd
>deluged

Also falling for the ubiquity meme about to buy usg, 24port Poe switch, and in wall access points.

>HP Microserver Gen 8

Jesus fucking christ user, I had to install 2012 R2 on one of these bad boys
>no PXE available
>can't use USB formatted with NTFS in iLO
>booting with USB stick doesn't work, even after loading RAID Controller driver
>bought a fucking DVD to burn the iso, the burn process fucked up, DVD was unusable

After three fucking hours, I learned that you can mount isos through iLO. What a fucking ride.

If you buy an iLO Advanced license of some russian guy on eBay, you can also use the remote console without that stupid fucking timeout. it's nifty.

>selling admin
Gmod has more than enough of shitty servers

Go host on some almost dead game like day of infamy then

>trying to open ports to run a TF2 server
>add the ports in the router
>ping them a few times
>ports not open
>call Comcast
>"I'm trying to open this range"
>they remote access my router and tell me the ports are already open
I actually never expected this to bite me in the ass.

What filesystem is best for bulk media storage?
I'm currently using EXT4 but might be rebuilding the fileserver soon.

it has mini-sas ports instead dumbass.

Has every guy who has a shitty beard and ponytail given up on life or are there some guys out there who actually think it looks good?
t. guy with shitty long beard and a ponytail who has given up on life

Depends on your needs.

There are websites that check if a port is open...

yeah, it's not.

pinging it again, even with my firewalls off I can only hit port 80, and other random http ports. I can't even hit 7443 or whatever https is.

How do you fuck up port forwarding?

If your router software is that useless look up installing ddwrt on it. I installed it on an old router to turn it into a nice wireless access point. If I ever want vlans I could with it

Is that Riker?

apparently my rotuer is an incredible pain in the ass to port-forward on, but it's the Xfinity one they give everyone.

I dunno how to fix it other than bridge it maybe and I don't want to drop on a new router.

Are there any good routers that can handle gigabit WAN speeds with DDWRT?

I have a AC66U with DDWRT and I'm only getting ~100mbit/s with DDWRT, and getting ~900mbit/s with stock ASUS firmware. This has to do with hardware acceleration.

Any help? I hate having to use the Botnet FiOS router. Being able to see all my router traffic on Verizon.net is not something I like.

My little server:
CPU: AMD FX 8300 3.30 Ghz
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2)
HDD: 1TB (OS/Client Backups), 9TB (Raid-5 3TBx4)
LAN: 2X Gigabit ports (1 in use)
Roles: Media Streaming (Serviio DNLA Server),File server, IIS (FTP/Remote Web Access). Server is connected to a UPS so if power fails it'll shutdown properly. All data is backed up to a 8tb nas (older data) and to a 3TB external usb drive. Both stay offline when not in use.

i have a local fileserver/seedbox on a single core Athlon 2850e and it's a great time

Or flash new software like I suggested

I heard that many consumer routers can't handle gbit even if they claim to.
It's a lot more electricity but an old PC with pfsense is enough, maybe like an old laptop

any recommended setup for a home server with a raspberry pi?

ah fuck, I just checked, I'm down to around 150GB free space out of 9TB. Some of my file date from 1997 so I can't really complain I guess.

LNSP stack. (nginx-light, sqlite, python/perl you choose)

Anyone using ReFS? I'm considering making the switch.

When you use ddwrt you often (maybe always?) end up losing the hardware offloading capabilities and it really hurts the routing performance. I would recommend getting a dedicated non wireless router, pfsense perhaps. You could use your ac66 as just an access point and switch.

I run a webserver and a proxy. PIC related is my server. It was a Toshiba laptop at some point, but now it's just a board that lives under my couch.

I may need some help.
I bought a Raspberry Pi, and i decided that I'd host a SSH server on it. It'd be nice if I could use it remotely from my phone or something like that. I installed Arch onto the Pi, and configured sshd properly. It's running and listening to port 22, and currently allows password auth because I just wanna get it to work before I start messing with the keys. And surely I can access it from my home network, but my router is giving me some trouble. It's a Huawei B593s-22, and theres lots of guides for port forwarding available. I forwarded port 22 properly, but when I try to connect to my server, it refuses the connection. pls halp

PS, When connecting to a SSH server, you're supposed to connect to the external IP, right? The one the Pi got from dhcp, or the static one I manually set up. I've tried both of those, and I just wanted to make sure that I'm not trying to connect to a wrong address.

what are some cool shit you can do with a home server? I don't really like games so not interested in hosting a game server

Plex server, torrent server, web server, print server, file server, tit server, shrimp server.

Career advancement, career advancement career advancement

Lab is le learning tool of life

I always vote to hire the candidates that have some kind of lab at home. I pass on all that don't have any sort of server at home or at least some cool outside of work tech stuff.

What should I use if I want a dedicated Plex/Seed box? Currently just using my main desktop.

I've got plex running on mine, plus a ssh server as well, so I can remote in to download shit from anywhere.

I'm working on setting up a little webserver too.

Build a dedicated box? Not that hard.

you're an idiot and don't know what a server is.

REFS (least as it was in 2012R2) is a kinda rough shape. You can only use storage space REFS on a mirror (Raid 1) or 3 way mirror (2 copies of data but it requires 5 drives at min). The last option, Parity volume (raid 5) is limited to only NTFS file system. Also to enable full volume data check summing you have to use a powershell command, it's turned off by default. Now an interesting thing is that while parity volume (R-5) with REFS creation can't be done from storage spaces you can create it from within standard Disk Management. However disk image/clone tools (Macrium Reflect) can't access it whereas if a REFS volume was created from storage spaces Macrium will see it.

A basic file server that also does dhcp/cache dns server don't need high end parts. The only time you'll need more muscle is if your doing media transcoding on the fly. (or waste time converting a ton of movies to a format your device supports). I got by for years on an 2004 era Opteron 170/4GB ram box. Ran it from 2004 to 2017. Only decommissioned it while I was also upgrade the storage.

I have to admit, he is kinda cute.

no h-homo

Just use ZFS.
Running ZFS root on all my devices not counting my android phone at this point, until I can find a way to do it...

>amd x4 640
>biostar a870
>16gb ram
>meme 320gb hd for os
>1tb for storage

it's my old main pc that I replaced with a ryzen 1600, using it just for plex right now, as well as a youtube-dl script to download all my favorite channels daily videos and move them to the plex server automatically

i have to get around to setting up sonarr at some point

> Ok what are you running?
Dell PowerEdge T410
2x Xeon 5660 / 64GB RAM / 6x 4TB 3.5" HDD / 8x 1TB 2.5" HDD / 4x 500GB 2.5" SSD / 1x NVMe 500GB SSD / FirePro? W5900

> Did you fall for the "I opened nonstandard ports so I'm safe" meme?
No. All traffic is behind an Untangle UTM, and all connections over the wire are IPSEC (because I can, not because I need to)

> Why aren't you hosting gmod/csgo servers and selling admin for $10/month to make easy money?
Because I'm running other things instead. This server is for the house stuff. Other servers are the money makers.

Built this thing a few years ago. The case is great really.

AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz dual core
4GB DDR3
60GB OS SSD
4 x 4TB HGTS HDDs
Fractal Design Node 804 (Black + Window)
500 watt EVGA PSU

Mainly just a samba file server. It handles my remote backups too. Transmission for torrents. Nginx server for accessing some of the media files remotely sometimes.

>Dual core

Man...

it's just a samba file server for myself

It isn't really stressed

In fact I don't even know what I can put on it to use more resources and be practical in use

>4x 10 tb hard drives
>Bam, home server for $500
user, I

Pfsense and a network firewall. It's not going to overload it at all but it might make for a good project

i didnt read the second part of it my bad. Checking it out thanks user.

does anyone know anything about cisco routers?
looking at getting one for education, and to see if one would be any better at being a cable modem than my old sb6121 that comcast doesn't like anymore

BROOOO I ran almost this exact configuration (had a 960 but same mobo) for like seven years and then bought into Ryzen to replace it.

How do I into Pfsense without using excessive power? It seems everything cheap and usable also happens to use power.

a fellow patrician I see

Yeah, external ip. Remember that if you run a not 22 port externally, you have to specify that on login.

Virtualize it. Got a dual core virtual machine with a GiB of ram running pfSense handling a 1Gb/s network connection with multiple workstations & virtualized servers using it.

(Got an old proliant server with one of the eth ports connected directly to a modem. Then the pfSense LAN side is connected to another eth, which is connected to an old cisco switch that provides enough ports for all physical machines. VM Host OS is connected to a 3'rd eth that is connected to the cisco switch, and provides VM Guests with network that way)

I use a j1900 board
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-J1900N-D3V-rev-1x#ov
kind of expensive but sips power
only downside is that they used all the pcie for the nic's

What's the wan to lan throughput on that? I have an older suoermicro atom server I use now but it only does 700mb/s and I just got a gigabit link.

I haven't tested it extensively but it seems to be good enough
if you've got a gigabit link get something with intel NIC's
getting dependable throughput on a gigabit link isn't going to be cheap, do you have a switch with SFP ports?

I really want a decent homeserver for all kinds of shit but especially for hosting virtual machines. Does threadripper look promising or should I just stick with intel? What are decent non-rack cases that I can stuff with tons of harddrives/harddrive cases?

Yes, save $1000 and go with Threadripper, buy more RAM instead. VM servers typically hit the RAM ceiling before CPU time. The one exception is web servers which love all the CPUs they can get.

Gen8 Entry
120GB SSD for Debian 9
2x4TB HGST (one drive for parity, expanding to 4x4TB eventually)
SnapRAID + mergerfs for redundancy
Deluge, Samba, KVM host

Wish I knew why the thing forgets the OS disk array on poweroff. I have to re-set it up as a single disk sometimes.

Examples of the money makers?

Yep, I've tried different ports, and I remembered to add the -p option to specify the port. I noticed something interesting, it seems that my router is just shit. I can't forward any ports, except for 80. If I try connecting to any other ports, it just throws me out immediately, but when I use 80, it gets stuck on "connecting..." and then times out.

Any ideas on what I could try?