How did they dominate the market so much, so fast?

How did they dominate the market so much, so fast?

Discord was only released two years ago in May 2015.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RU9w41tPXyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because it's good and no one else has made anything better

they don't though, just vocal faggots using flavor of the month shit
in 2018 it'll be something else and before long another product as well
irc is the only chat that has true lasting power

>irc is the only chat that has true lasting power
As an autism containment protocol, yes

they got all those retarded streamers to shill for them.

Whoring it out on Sup Forums and Reddit.

Video games
Children

What's troublesome is who invested into this from the get-go, and why did people willingly start using a platform that exists to collect data?

What's depressing is that it isn't even that good. Usable? Absolutely, and that already puts them ahead of a good chunk of the IM market. But it isn't as if it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm very surprised someone hasn't put their foot down and made something actually good yet, but now that they would have to compete against not only Skype but now also Discord, it'd be hard for them to actually rise up.

Just wait till they start locking features behind paywalls and putting more restrictions on posted content. The "free" botnet never lasts forever.

The average joe doesn't care about his personal data being collected. That's why so many companies can get away with it.

can't fix what's not broken
irc just werks and you're not limited to any specific cuck's network

teens

Skype is an easy kill, it's fat and ugly. Discord can be hard, but the market is huge and if anyone can pull off something better by the slightest bit, they'd be rolling in dough

This.

There's no reason to use Discord over Mumble anyway.

It is not amazing on the voice side but its not just the voice communication that is the success. Is a really good IM client too, with plenty of multimedia support and constant development. This puts them way ahead of pretty much anything that involves group communication for hobby

What data does this actually collect?

Because it was a wide-open market.
Normalfags don't use IRC/Vent/TS, and MS killed the only normalfag-friendly platform (Skype) with their bullshit. Also it was very heavily shilled.

And Twitch

Because they rolled out a shitton of features that people wanted en masse and the only real opposition was Skype. Same reason shit like Roger Wilco got slapped out of it's orbit by Skype.

Discord only needs video sharing and it'll be pretty much untouchable as a platform for the next decade since that's the primary thing people want.

>has full linux support
>all normie friends are on it
I don't even care about the data mining at this point, really. I'm just glad I'm not forced to use Skype. All they'll learn from me is that I like shitposting from Linux.

Give me a reason to care about my personal data being collected.

It's fault of all the Sup Forums shills and other retards.
Now you have this shit, that is closed source, is a data mine, and has paywall features.
You have been warned, but no one listened.

>full linux supports
>electron
You're an imbecile. Get off Linux, you're damaging to it.

>Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

So much this

Matrix is pretty good. The riot client isn't awful.

Aside from the fact that there is zero setup with Discord. Just create an account and start gaming with friends. No hassle.

Dude, I know electron is shit, but at least it works. Autists are what are ruining Linux. People are driven away when no-life NEETS think you need to hold certain opinions to use this software.

never had problems with mumble or ts3 on linux

Because Skype is literal adware

"Just works" is the mentality that is part of the problem, that we have what we have nowadays.
Sure, "done is better than perfect", but most of the modern technology goes the path of least effort, putting no thought towards quality of design.
The shit piles up. Before people acknowledge the problem, we will live in the age digital India. Like if that haven't happened already.

Most Discord Shills forget Discord is owned by Communists literally Ten Cent Communists.

>Ten Cent

They own both Epic Games and Riot Games (LoL).

Why are they taking over everything?

discord killer features for me
> no account needed
> web client that works with Chrome and Firefox

How do I make a very simple Discord clone? Especially the easy setup and voice chat that doesn't expose IPs?

One thing I have noticed that is absolutely terrible about Discord is that people can edit and delete their messages.

While there is no history in IRC if you aren't in the channel at least while you are in there every stupid shit said remains with you.

>no account needed
Huh? You need to register with email. The shit also won't swallow temporary/disposable emails.

"Servers" aka chatrooms can be set up by literal monkeys
Plus, gaymen integration
Plus, it's "free"

Everything

they made something much better than Skype.

Discord proved that people will give competition opportunity if it's good though

Because it's slightly better than Skype.
Not a high bar to reach since it has gone to shit since Microsoft bought it.

Its good

It's easy to use

It's supported on basically everything

It gives the appeal of Skype with the features of teamspeak servers

It's free

uhh, this is Sup Forums
we like thinkering until it works.
i mostly get bored when everything seems to work, so i play with stuff until it breaks.

hassle free is more like a negative for me, since it means the software's options are very limited. And discord has barely any options.

But it's literal garbage. Skype is way better.

Isn't discord owned by facebook?

Skype is a SJW social network now

youtube.com/watch?v=RU9w41tPXyc

No it's funded by gooks known to write code that has detrimental security.

Aggressive shilling.

Wire

Works fine for me. Paywall features are mainly cosmetic and unnecessary.
>but 50mb file transfer is not cosmetic!!!!
Discord is just for chat, it's not a multi-use tool with every function ever.
If by any chance that's a topic that deserves critique, you can simply use Google Drive or Dropbox.
Someday it'll probably break into drama, but up to this point it helped me a great deal.

>Agressive shilling
This and something else: The language they use. It's far more user friendly, which gives the impression of a bunch of friends making a free app to be nice, instead of a giga-corporation like Microsoft.
It sometimes may be a pain in the ass to endure this, example being stupid memes on a fucking corporate email from Discord, but i think it's a neat thing that doesn't happen very often on the Internet.

>free

Is it not free? Please elaborate.

It's "free" because the software isn't the product - it's the users.

its just easy to use and has loads of features irc doesnt have.

That's because your time is worthless. It's not something to be proud of.

i don't think you understand what a product is

It's not libre, it's just gratis.
It's also botnet.

I don't think you understand what being a product is

>still no option to be anonymous
And this is why all chat services are shit.

you're a big fucking retard

They sell your personal data, hence you're the product? That's how modern advertisements work.

I like this one.

Not requiring a celphone to create an account and having a client that use 300+ MB of memory.

Huh? You can use a temporary name, no need to actually sign up if you're on the web client.

Skype only continually got worse and worse.

by being free and easier to use than teamspeak

Why haven't those fucks added overlay support Linux already?

>overlay support
Because less than 2 people use it, including you.

>it's good
It isn't though.
>no one else has made anything better
Basically everything else is better.

>how did they dominate the market so much, so fast?
They don't. Skype, kik, facebook messenger, google hangouts, all have more users. Virgins just like discord because it has a cool edgy name and gamers are easily shilled.

It is free
>B-but they collect MUH DATA!!!1!!
Yes but nobody cares about your shitty life, that sold data is probably just statistics about the popular things/words that people cares about, who could help to other business to sell their products with ads, Discord doesn't give a shit if you jerk off to loli shit or if you are sharing screencaps of your shitty code, in fact that data wouldn't have any value otherwise.

Newfag

It's better than Skype, but for voice-only Teamspeak is better

>Install mumble server
>Run installer, even on Linux
>Port forward

All these take approximately 5 min if you have a brain, just as long as downloading discord and making an account.

It appeals to retards who don't know you can change settings on your router

The language they use is a huge turn off for me. It's just so thin and obvious; fake as fuck. I'd be able to use Discord and not feel like an idiot if they just stopped using meme language on every damn screen.

skype fucked itself harder with every update. They literally kept adding indian emotes and making the program more and more buggy with each update. Skype was never a great program to begin with, but the complete incompetence meant that even normal human beings wanted an alternative.

Can you transfer files in mumble?

>autists on Sup Forums are still upset over discord
kek

Because it's piss easy to use and manage, I talked to a dev about adding webm playback support like they do with Jewtube vids and he said they're working on it.

Because people are to retarded to use teamspeak, and teamspeak is to retarded to update their UI and allow users to post images

>please stop posting certain images because they hurt our feefees okay

You're just a puppet, easy to manipulate dumb ass normal fags like you

If you edit something in Discord it says (edited) next to your message.

>How did they dominate the market so much, so fast?
Shilling?

>Discord doesn't give a shit if you jerk off to loli shit
Uh check the guidelines again

>opening ports
compromising your security for Sup Forums?

>being this angry at some random person because they use a popular messaging platform

>popular
yeah enjoy the botnet

Why did you quote that? Are you saying it's not popular?

>they reworded it after people noticed how obvious it was that they decided to ban that sort of thing out of personal bias
Oh fucking wow.

Which is children again

Is the only IM that has a very low population of normies and roasties.

It has decent voice chat, it's easy to use, requires no setup, and has file transfer and media embedding. Nothing else competes with it really.

Multiple OS clients with ease of use.
>retards are too dumb to setup their own matrix server
That's why you're all here complaining why others are successfully getting users.

But I don't have anything to say.

I use Pidgin with discord and it works great.

I think it depends on the security level of the server.

hyperactive shilling

It was just so fucking easy to use