/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf
audiobot9000.com/match/akg/k-612-pro/with/schiit/magni-2
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888545-REG/Auray_eps_mdr7506_Genuine_Sheepskin_Leather_Earpads.html
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK612.pdf
head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/
youtube.com/watch?v=Jx100RJUKmg
head-fi.org/f/threads/the-ultimate-hd600-vs-hd650-poll-closed-hd600-wins.698372/
innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do I need an amp for my HD 598SR?

No.

no

More complicated answer: no, you don't need an amp, but you could benefit from a cheap DAC+amp like a Fiio E10k because digital volume control lowers signal to noise ratio: esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf
A DAC+amp with an analog volume knob would solve this problem. You only really need this if you can currently hear hiss while listening to your HD598SR. If you cannot currently hear hiss, you do not need an amp.

Short: No
Long: You could probably benefit from a cheap usb dac+amp like the Schiit Fulla2, as 598s have messy impedance stability across frequency, and they will sound different with an amp. Just not that different.
A dac+amp ensures you have a good dac implementation you can plug into any computer and get good sound of, as computer analog audio outputs are hit or miss hell.

I want that fag to explain why the magni 2 can't 'unlock' the potential of the 600.

He can't and won't.

K702 or K712?

K612, but it needs something powerful like a Magni 2 to drive it. K712 has too much bass and K702 is too bright.

Do I really need something that powerful or DAC X6 would be enough?

As a general rule I'd recommend using an amp that can drive your headphones to at least 115 dB. While this is too loud for listening, this gives plenty of extra headroom for sources mastered at a very low level.
audiobot9000.com/match/akg/k-612-pro/with/schiit/magni-2 shows a Magni 2 drives it to 116 dB, just over my recommended level. I wouldn't recommend anything less powerful than a Magni 2.
DAC X6 may power them to a good level with most sources but may lack the power to achieve adequate volume with certain sources mastered at a very low level.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Thinking about getting the ATH - m50x, are they actually any good or is it just an overhyped meme ?

what do you mean "hiss" like when I'm not doing anything at all?

Sennheiser HE1. It's amazing, but I wish it could let me hear a .2 dB difference at 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz. Alas, that's impossible.

i have a m40x and they are ok

When listening to music/movies/anime/TV/games. If the hiss is loud enough to not be completely masked by other audio content, then you can benefit from an amp+DAC.

>HE1
proof or you're full of shit.

I'll show proof when the guy in the last thread shows proof he's a Beyer employee.

I won't be holding my breath.

So, should I get the beyerdynamic pads for my v6, or is there anything else?

Both are brilliant, but the 712 has to be considered better overall because of the extra bass.

The Beyer pads will change the sound too much. Get these: bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888545-REG/Auray_eps_mdr7506_Genuine_Sheepskin_Leather_Earpads.html

So you're lying. Your'e both fucking faggots. Kill yourselves.

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK612.pdf This is a really fantastic measurement.

Some would say that making a headphone that's more ear raping than Beyers is impossible, but Sony did it

Just you wait. The DT 1880 will kill Sennheiser.

sure bud

Beyerdynamic has the severely under-appreciated DT250, which is overshadowed by the inferior DT770/880/990. AKG has the severely under-appreciated K612, which is overshadowed by the inferior K701/Q701/K702/K712.
What are underappreciated models from other brands?

Which one?
Definitely not the mdr-cd900st, favored by kisaragi chihaya.

There's this dumb meme that the HD600 somehow magically starts sounding better with higher quality amps. To a degree, this is true because of the dumb impedance curve, but past a certain point (very low output impedance, low noise, low distortion), it doesn't matter.

I've recently read that turning off schiit amps while your headphones are connected to it can damage it over time. Should I be afraid of my HD650s (with magni2/modi2 uber)?

>I've recently read that turning off schiit amps while your headphones are connected to it can damage it over time.
You've been misled.
>Should I be afraid of my HD650s (with magni2/modi2 uber)?
No, the magni2 has a relay protection. It will cut the output immediately when power is lost, and delay output until startup is done on power on.
>what's the story then
Asgard, the very first Schiit device to hit the market, did some scary swinging of drivers on some specific headphone during turn on. No headphone was ever damaged by it, but it gave schiit bad press and caused some drama.
Schiit handled the issue by stopping deliveries, adding relays to the design, retrofitting the relays to stock and offering to retrofit them, for free, to all devices that had already been shipped.
Schiit's own account of the incident can be found in the tale of schiit, "Chapter 12: Schiit Goes Evil?"
head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/

Where's Idol Trash?

Probably off failing a blind test somewhere.

Hola.

how about the shure 940 pads then?

Velours in general will change the sound a lot, and not for the better.

is it better to turn up the application's volume or the computer's volume for better quality of audio?

If you have an analog volume knob all software volume control should be at 100% because digital volume control lowers signal to noise ratio: esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf
If you don't have an analog volume knob then it really shouldn't matter.

>Niku

...you're alright.

Is the Fostex TH-X00 the best value in closed headphones (if you can get past the attached cables)?

if I want something like the K612 but more solid what do I get? I watched the Z review for it and it looks like it's built really cheap.

They're fine now. They used to have that problem with older Asgards
If you don't mind paying $100 more for detachable cables and smoother treble, there's the EMU Teak

Sennheiser fanboy here, had my HD598s (the original cream ones) for 6 years now and they're the best pair of headphones I've ever used. Other cans I'm using at the moment are Audio-Technica MSR7 for portable.

Are HD650s worth the extra money for an increase in sound, and would they be a noticable improvement over 598s when paired with a Magni 2U amp?

Also, what are some open-back competitors that compare to HD650s at a similar price point?

K44 if you can mod it to reflect/dampen the backwave. K77 and K99 are not much different with that treatment, just pricier. Mine sounds quite flat and velvety.

>Sennheiser fanboy
Don't be a fanboy.
>HD598 love
Much love. But the HD600 are better.
>HD650
Are lesser HD600. They're more expensive yet less neutral. More power to bass, a little more to midrange, way less treble. It's meant for people who are overly sensitive to treble and/or like their bass.
General opinion is that they're worse than HD600, but of course some people do prefer HD650 regardless. YMMV.
Personally, I do own HD600 and I find it does the treble rolloff just right.

>idol trash
Goes to sleep. Been a crazy night marathoning youjo senki. Tanya a cute. Good night, all.
youtube.com/watch?v=Jx100RJUKmg

What are some best headphones for a EDM listener?

DT770, TH-X00, EMU Teak

>best for EDM
Depends on how you enjoy EDM.
If you don't know, neutral signature should be your starting point. Standard advice is HD600, but it depends on your budget. HD579, HD598, HD558 are cheaper options.

Why the heck are HD650 so much more expensive then?

Likely to trick you into thinking it's better. Like the higher model number. It gets crazier; Almost nobody likes HD700, and it's even more expensive.

I'm basically an audio normie
I've got an old pair of Sony MDR XB500 right now, but they're starting to fall apart, and I'm looking for a little better quality.

The options I've settled on from general research on headphones are:

Sennheiser HD598 - $147
Beyerdynamic DT-990 - $227

Am I going to really notice much difference between the two? Or even between these and my current headphones?
And are they both fairly comfortable, especially in comparison to my current headphones?

Use-case is basically just, movies, youtube, gaming, music; typical stuff.

I'd rather not have to buy an amp or DAC.

I'm open to alternative headphone suggestions

Do the driver millimeters really matter? I'm choosing between a 40mm and a 45mm, is this really a significant difference?

No, it's irrelevant.

>Budget
$150 or less
>Location
US
>Source
Computer with Fiio A1 (Replacing it soon with an E10K)
>Type of headphone
Full Size Or On Eear
>Open or closed
Open. For some reason my head gets really warm with closed headphones.
>Comfort level
Good enough for at least 2 hour sessions of games/music
>Sound signature
Doesn't matter too much as long as the bass isn't non existent and it has a good sound stage.
>Past headphones
Superlux HD668B

Someone at my work recommended HD 558 and doing the foam mod.

Heard the HD800 for the first time yesterday. That particular pair has been modded with the resonator thingie according to the owner.

...They sound bloody amazing. Human vocal sounds so clear and the separation between instruments is as clear as day. /hpg/ must be talking out of their arse when they said that the HD800 sound like the DT880 because they are nothing alike.

Now I'm saving up for one.

>way less treble
Way to overexaggerate to fit your shitty agenda.

Dud, that was just placeblosightedlisteningobjectiveopinon we all know that you can eq 10$ walmart headphones to sound like utopia.

DT 990 should be cheaper than $200 USD.

Depends if you want a relaxed sound (HD 598) or a more energetic sound (DT 990).

Ignore the faggot who keeps shilling and complaining about treble

>Budget
200€
>Location
Europe
>Source
phone
>Type of headphone
Inears for my daily mobile use
>Open or closed
ill use them in public so closed would be better
>Sound signature
dont really mind, something warm and open would be nice
>Past headphones
Bose SoundTrue, got them as a present, they were okay but broke last week

thinking about getting shure se315, anyone has experience with em? or is it worth to wait for the 415 and save money?

Because hes full of shit. The 650s have more range, sound stage and bass. They are a slightly modified version of the 600s but ultimately very comparable. They arent worth 100 bucks more, depending on where youre from, but very likely 50 bucks if you like Sennheisers inhouse sound signature. I mean, where I am from the 650s are only like 30 bucks more expensive than the 600s at the moment.

Fiio A3 as portable AMP?

>The options I've settled on from general research on headphones are:
They're totally different. HD598 is neutral, whereas DT990 is v-shaped.
Accuracy-wise, the HD598 is of course better.
Just keep in mind there's other options. HD599 is a refresh (newer) with better bass, generally considered better. HD579 has almost the same frequency response, but costs considerably less, so it's a standard recommendation.

get an M-40x and mod a bit or Status CB-1s, much cheaper and both sound better

They're known as dark headphones.

I have one, I like it. nicely built and can drive up to about 300ohm impedance along with the high gain level

ALL HEADPHONES OPERATING IN THEIR PROPER RANGE SOUND THE SAME

Thought I might as well post this. I bought the SHP9500 because it was recommended here. I'm extremely happy with them. They're unbelievably comfortable and the audio quality is much better than the Bose headphones I used previously. I don't think anyone would have any complaints with the audio quality of these things even if you're autistic about it. The one "negative" to consider if you're going to buy them is that the sound leak is really high, more than the Bose I had previously for example. If people are sitting around you they will hear what you're doing, if it's above 15% volume or so. This isn't a problem for me because I use them in my home but if you're for example living with a room mate or you want to use these in public it's not really an option.

HD600 are much better than HD650.

I'm so hyped.

Get the 600.

There is a good reason why Sennheiser has sold like 50 thousands of 'em.

Amp isn't an acronym. Don't capitalise it.

winamp logo did much damage.

kek

I love my magni2000

Don't listen to this hipster 650 is a lot better. 600 doesn't even recognise low end.

HD600 is better: head-fi.org/f/threads/the-ultimate-hd600-vs-hd650-poll-closed-hd600-wins.698372/
>no bass, they said

Get the HD600.
innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3
>The HD 650 is rather more problematic to me. While the sound remains very similar to the HD 600 and does seem a tad more refined, it also seems a bit warmer, lusher, and thicker...more "veiled" if you like. Yes, in this case it does seem to warrant the discriptor. Just a bit too much of good thing. I still think it's a great headphone and have no problem recommending it, but with a $100 lower price, and a more neutral and snappier sound, I think the HD 600 is the better buy.
>Yup, I'll say it, one of the worlds greatest headphones. Lush and inviting, the HD 600 is simply one of the best buys in the world of audiophile headphones. Easily paired with just about headphone amplifier, they will sound good directly from the headphone jack of a receiver, and will improve nicely when combined with better gear. Going up on the "Wall of Fame" as the best open headphone in it's price range.

Yeah my dude, what did you EQ your 4.99$ shitphones to?

650 doesn't recognize anything but low end.

I sprung for really fancy $15 headphones from Best Buy but they were on sale for $7.99

It's gonna crack my dude. Good luck.

Idol trash here.
>audio technica
They apparently make some cans for people with huge heads.
(spotted in akiba)

Since when do hikikomori leave their toilets? You "spotted" a pic online.

So why would I buy an Uber of the;
Magni 2
Modi 2
Also Magni/Modi 3 when? Should I just wait?

Uber modi has optical input and uber magni has more power and passthrough

>modi 2 uber
Has optical and coax spdif inputs, giving it some value over just using a fulla2 as dac.
Uber metal (different from non-uber). Looks good with uber magni. (some people do care)
>magni uber
Slightly more power (irrelevant)
preamp outs (the important one)
uber metal, looks good with uber modi

post your setups

my sister wants a pair of open ear headphones with a builtin amplifier / volume control somewhere on the device (like the Razer Megalodon, which is a headset but it doesnt matter if it has a microphone)

can you guys help me find a pair, i filled out a template but it seems kind of redundant, she's just going to buy another pair because her last one broke

>Budget
hard, $80-130

>Location
USA

>Source
plugged into a desktop 100% of the time

>Type of headphone
full sized

>Open or closed
open

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
LG V20
>Type of headphone
in-ears
>Open or closed
ill use them in public sometimes, so maybe closed?
>Sound signature
Neutral, slightly dark, open sound stage.
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD598

Where can I get the same kind of microphone as in OP pic?
Do they have inherent flaw that explain why they aren't more widespread?

Also, can anyone recommend a DAC/AMP for usage with my home PC? I'd really appreciate some help with this. I have HD598s.

Anyone itt can recommend a wireless headset that's actually compatible with Linux?

Etymotic MK5 or HF5
MK5 are neutral, HF5 are slightly dark.

Schiit Fulla 2