Do you turn your computer off at night ?

Do you turn your computer off at night ?

nah, i wouldnt be so cruel

no

inb4 the same braindead retards that always go "no bcuz the sparks wear down the electronics lul"

No why would you do such cruel thing
I restart every 1 week, because windows doesn't like being on longer than that for some reason

Yes. The power company will have to survive without that extra contribution.

What do you think?

bonus points if you guess my CPU

I turn it off every time I'm not using it. On a simple day, I turn it off and on from 2 to 4 times.
Electricity isn't cheap where I live. And my SSD boots in seconds so no problems there.

whats the difference between hibernate and stand by?

Yeah i would

Hiberate saves a snapshot of everything that's going on to your hard drive, then shuts down the computer fully. When you boot back up it uses that snapshot to bring you back to that exact state where you left off.

Standby "freezes" everything that's going on and then enters a low-power state. It's still on. When you resume from stand by, the system "un-freezes" to bring you back to that exact state where you left off. If the system loses power while standing by, however, all of that state will be lost and you'll have to reboot from scratch.

thanks for the explanation user

I let my 1070 mining at night

cringe

Yes

dont be real

I put it to sleep when ever I'm going to leave my computer for more than 10 minutes. Only turn it off if I'm going to disconnect the power cord for whatever reason.

I put my laptop into power saving mode, disconnect it from the internet, and lock it.

I used to hibernate my computer all the time when it was a slow piece of shit booting from cold. It always used to come up quicker from hibernate.

Now that the OS is installed on a SSD, booting from cold isn't an issue. So yeah, I do regularly shut it down.

Yes, but only because I love in a 100+ year old building that lacks AC

>tfw wagecuck who pays for their own bills and have to watch the power consumption of everything I buy because the power company is run by ultra jews

Some times I wish I were a neckbeard whose parents pay for everything. I'd do things like leave the computer all night on, take showers of 30+ minutes, and stuff like that.

Only when I see pic related

>tfw don't give a shit about the power bill because electricity is cheap as fuck

Kek

How poor are you that you can't pay for hot water

i7 975

>lying in bed trying to fall asleep
>3 am
>hear whizzing sound behind me
>turn around
>pc is turning on

explain this Sup Forums

Windows? 3 am is the default update time iirc

yeah i use wangblows 10 but i have turned off automatic updates

Yep.

The water heater doesn't run on magic you know.

>systemctl suspend

No because god damn lightning storm did it for me

>Windows not doing what you tell it
Not surprised. But it's probably still checking anyways so it can tell about that update for Office you absolutely need

I sing it lullabies until it goes to sleep

>shutdown now

No, it runs on this very cheap thing called electricity. Or you could make a solar water heater and spend even less.

user, please see attached image.
Also be sure you have (unless you explicitly need it) Wake on LAN turned off in your BIOS.

My computer does folding at night, it's turned off about once a week. Power is cheap as shit here so I don't really worry about power consumption

>very cheap thing called electricity
Not everywhere this thing called electricity is cheap
>Or you could make a solar water heater and spend even less
Never heard of that, and it's probably expensive as fuck.

Suspend works fine for me. The little electricity used is worth the convenience.

>kill -9 1

>Not everywhere this thing called electricity is cheap
Time to leave the shithole you call home
>probably expensive as fuck
Quite the opposite.

>bonus points if you guess my CPU
Fuck off snowflake

Power isn't cheap so yes.

a solar water heater can pretty much be a insulated box filled with water that heats during the day and all you do is run your cold water trough a shitton of thin copper line in the heated water

No.

I have an SSD as well.

>My apartment offers an all inclusive deal for utilities
>Most people don't meet the consumption to make up for how much they charge
>Mfw I know I'm exceeding it with my computer, air conditioning, and showers
My place is a cool 65F right now in 95F weather

No reason to, electricity is super cheap, it's like 0.1USD/kWh here.

Turning it on and off every day wears hardware out faster due to thermal cycling.

dude power is SO CHEAP

If your computer just goes to sleep it probably costs on the order of 3c/h to run.

Hell no crazy.

or an even cheaper thing called natural gas

More like less than 1 cent a day for 16 hours

solar heaters are shit in every place that don't have at least 200 sunny days a year and no snow/frost. The only way they can be useful is to use them between the water tank and a real heater to lower the electric/gaz heater consumption.

Solar heaters aren't meant to replace electric water heaters. They're meant to avoid the electric heater to turn on when you do things like washing your hands or brushing your teeth.

Even if it slept all day, 3c/h is 72c/day. That's around the average daily cost of a performance rig over its "not yet obsolete" lifespan.

I find it uncomfortable to think that I pay the value of my car once over in fuel over its lifetime. I don't want to do that with my computer, too.

>I find it uncomfortable to think that I pay the value of my car once over in fuel over its lifetime.
Then get a motorcycle for the 90mpg.

>Turning it on and off every day wears hardware out faster due to thermal cycling.
Read You might as well stop breathing, as it oxidizes your lungs and will eventually kill you. Also, stop walking, it wears down your knees.

Fucking retard.

He has a valid point, the heating and cooling of the electronics are what caused the PS3's YLoD and I believe the 360's RRoD as well

Work computer = Always ON
Home computers =ON/OFF

I'm hoping my car holds out long enough for EVs and autonomous carpooling to take off. Anyway that's for /o/.

Eh I feel like it's negligible at best.
I've been turning off my PC every night, and anytime I'm going out for more than an hour for over 6 years now without fail. Obviously one individuals account matters little statistically.

Yes. Because I'm not using it while I sleep. Plus my monitor is a decade old and gets really hot making my bedroom a literal hotbox. I like it cool at night.

Yeah and runners have shitty knees so we should all be in wheelchairs.

What you save on "thermal cycling" will be used on longer uptimes, which pretty much evens things out.

windows 7 auto wakes up from suspend and then sleeps again i suppose it likes to keep a watchful eye
>botnet cares about me

Yes. I don't enjoy my room being 100F.

My computer only turned off when it's forced to because of Windows Update.

Disable wake up on internet something something in bios.

I always turn my laptops off, I don't want to wear out the silicon on the chips.

macs go to sleep/standby mode
work pc always on
other pcs off unless being used

no computers in bedroom at my place

Windows 8/10 doesn't reset this timer if you shutdown because of hybrid shutdown.
Only if you restart.

no, there really is no need for it unless your trying to cut back on the power bill if your broke like I was 3 years ago.

I do however always unplug my router and disconnect all my computers from the router. Ever since I started studying stealth malware I have since become paranoid that something I may have downloaded was backdoored and someone it watching me. but it's what I get for switching back to windows.

No. It's when I download things and seed

Idk, my 1080 mines and makes $4.50 a day after electrical costs.
At least, it did until a few days ago when bitcoin started to decline

But my pc is always on, user, and I restart it every week

I always turn it off at night because it gets too fucking hot in my room.

desktop yes
laptop no

Reminder that anyone on this board who does not shut down their computer at night is too young to post here

Why does my laptop slow down so much performance wise until I restart it?

is it retarded that I keep my computer off when i'm not using it because I feel like someone could control it while it has internet connection?

some kind of memory leak. you using windows? no big deal just restart it. it's probably chrome or firefox that's fucking you, browsers are shit

i need the uptime for the desktop threads

All these people complaining about their computer heating their room up to a hundred degrees, get fucking real if that were true you wouldn't need a heater in winter.

I put it to sleep.

I used to use sleep but my desktop had problems resuming right so now it's off when not in use.

The server stays on to do regular scrubs and smart tests in the wee hours.

Just plug that shit off

no

>Windows 10
>Pentium
Fellow budget laptop user?

Magic packet from Fort Meade.

I have linux, I don't have to
>tfw stable server os

If you turn your computer off and back on, is it still the same computer or just another computer using the same atoms as the old one?

Yes, because I typically only use it two hours a day

get out normie scum

I suspend it

Yes, I have a microserver to handle my long-running tasks

Turn it off, shut off power, flip the switch on power outlet.

Lost a pc to a thunderstorm once, never again.

I use my old laptop to encode video.

I turn my pc off

I have an SSD, and live alone. There's no reason for me to leave my PC on 24/7, I might as well save on the electric, even if it is only a minor amount.

Of course, why would I need that noise in my room?

I experimented with some Acer Travelmate, it ran for 3 days and display broke on the fourth day, apparently inverter didn't work.

I'd like to keep my PC on but the fans are fucking loud when it's the only sound in my room in the middle of the night.