IPFS thread /ipfs/

Quick summary:
>decentralized P2P network
>like torrents, but instead of having a .torrent file or magnet, you use the file's hash and the network takes care of finding seeders
>files and metadata are separate, so renaming or moving a file won't change its hash
>you can add files to the network with one line in the CLI or a drag-and-drop into the web interface
>HTTP gateways let you download any hash through your browser without running IPFS
>can stream video files in mpv or VLC (though it's not recommended unless the file has a lot of seeds)

How it Works

When you add a file, the files are split up into pieces and hashed. Any user can request one of these hashes and the nodes set up peer connections automatically. If two users have the same file, regardless of what folder it's inside or what it's named, it's considered the same file, as opposed to .torrent files/magnets where everyone needs to have the exact same torrent.

FAQ

>Is it safe?
It's about as safe as a torrent right now, but slightly better since it's more obscure.

>Is it fast?
Finding a seeder can take between a few seconds and a few minutes. It's slowly improving but still requires a fair bit of optimization work. Once the download starts, it's as fast as the peers can offer, just like a torrent.

>Is it a meme?
It has stable implementations in Go (for desktops) and Javascript (for browsers) that you can use right now.
On the other hand, it's still alpha software with a small userbase and poor network performance.

Websites of interest

gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/
Official IPFS HTTP gateway. Slap this in front of a hash and it will download a file from the network. Be warned that this gateway is slower than using the client and accepts DMCAs.

glop.me/
Pomf clone that utilizes IPFS. Currently 10MB limit.

Also hosts a gateway at gateway.glop.me which doesn't have any DMCA requests as far as I can tell.
Planned features for next version (0.4.10):
github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/milestone/33

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Xxz9qMkv
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmU5XsVwvJfTcCwqkK1SmTqDmXWSQW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

do you have pedofags in there
they work pretty well as canaries in a coalmine
as long as pedofags roam in a network, its safe enough for me

Daily reminder that IPFS was created by a silicon valley funded fat piece of shit, and is designed to destroy your personal freedoms

It works like BitTorrent. It's not anonymous, but it doesn't really broadcast your identity either. You can use a VPN if you want. It's too obscure to have any yet as far as I know.
IPFS doesn't track you in any such manner though.

how do i know where the hashes are though?

How does this different from magnet>torrent client

Apart from the protocol, from a users standpoiint

IPFS vs ZeroNet? What is the difference?

It's pretty close to bittorrent in security, just, individuals take care of failover and load balancing by hosting content they like to the network.

You can get someone's IP, but it's easy to host over onion if you prefer.

Was that local or did the dude have good network?
What bitrate?

I miss old IPFS threads, they were pretty hype.
Does anyone have some interesting hashes?

Zeronet is it's own contained system for a new network that is both user and decentralized.
IPFS is hash/ object based content. Ask for a file by it's hash, the closest person hands you that file. It can be layered with a shitload of already existing infrastructure.

The 'inter planetary' literally means it can be used between mars and earth to share communication and content in a distributed way.

What kind of things can you build on top of it?

I want a Chinese static drawings site because the potato site sucks balls.

If you have a torrent with file X, and another torrent with file X + subtitles or a short text file, or even just renamed, the torrents won't recognize that they're the same file. In IPFS however, the files and metadata are kept separate.
You can host websites on it, using IPNS for mutability.
It was probably cached, but it it's well seeded the bottleneck is your connection. You can stream torrents too.
pastebin.com/Xxz9qMkv
Any static website, you can update them via IPNS. Decentralized databases are being worked on.

Someone help me test pubsub non-locally
ipfs daemon --enable-pubsub-experiment
ipfs pubsub sub "Sup Forums"
ipfs pubsub pub "Sup Forums" "some text"

I'll be building a script to simulwatch stuff in mpv using pubsub soon(tm).

ipfs.io/ipfs/QmU5XsVwvJfTcCwqkK1SmTqDmXWSQW aTa7ZcVLY2PDxNxG/ipfs_links.html
(remove the space, spam filter doesn't like IPFS hashes)
Seems to be stuck after issuing 'ipfs pubsub sub "Sup Forums"'.

That's because it is waiting for new messages, use the pub in a separate terminal or add & after the sub command.

There, I published "some text for user 61398188", did you get it?
If it's not streaming, consider building something with mkv ordered playlists instead.
Oh, of course.

ipfs cat QmeTpCZEtNwwkNqqB2FSYdjaUMXSGHN5nvornSKnkZ2vfj

I didn't. But we just started our daemons so maybe we should wait until we have enough connections in the network to find each other.
I'll keep sending messages periodically, tell me when you start seeing them.

Is there any P2P that operates via a one to one protocol or similar? IE. direct transfer between previously authorized IP addresses only such as family and friends?

BitTorrent, then set the private flag and mail/whatever yourself the torrent. They would need your IP + port + exact info hash and ask for it at the right time, so it's safe. If you're worried you can look at the peer list, or encrypt the files before sending.

I have a stupid question.

If the whole net neutrality thing got abolished, would IPFS be a viable alternative to the WWW?

Not if ISPs start asking the IPFS devs to pay a fee to use their networks. Or ask you to pay a fee to use IPFS.

It would work for sharing static content, since traffic is encrypted by default, but an ISP could blacklist/slow down IPFS traffic as a whole like they sometimes do with BitTorrent.

I'm seeing other peers with ipfs pubsub peers "Sup Forums" now. Do you see my messages?

I got some answers now.
> Pls respond Pls respond \n
and then some ascii art

I got some ascii art, was that you?

"Nice, it works!"

Yes that was me.
Seems to be working now, try sending me something in return.

damn

Sent "some text for user 61398188 06:03"
Could you send the ascii art again? My terminal botched it.

But how can I allow other people to upload to my IPNS without giving the private key away?

Also, can clients update their files automatically or do they need to re-pin the IPNS?

For example there's a folder for a series and folders for each chapter.

People who want to read a certain series pins the IPNS for the folder, then when the owner updates the IPNS do they automatically start downloading the files?

It would also be nice to mix this with an RSS file so they can get notified of changes per chapter folder, new hash means update means fire RSS.

I don't want to deal with servers if possible.

Yep, received it. I wonder what the latency is, probably not that high.
Can you try sending the output of date +%s a few times?

>Could you send the ascii art again? My terminal botched it.
Mine too, unfortunately it seems sub strips newlines from messages.

No

It would be an all-or-nothing situation though, not like with HTTP where it's either blocked or not. And they wouldn't have as much reason to do it. Connections WITHIN their network cost them nothing, and IPFS tries to pick the fastest path, so it wouldn't cost as much money. Furthermore, you could have a certain "USA mode" where it strongly prefers nodes within the same ASN if it comes to that.
>But how can I allow other people to upload to my IPNS without giving the private key away?
You can't, but you can re-upload. There's also work being done on a POST protocol, which seems like what you want.

>Also, can clients update their files automatically or do they need to re-pin the IPNS?
What do you mean? An IPNS key (you can have multiple) points to one and only one IPFS hash, but that can be a folder or a HTML file full of links.

>People who want to read a certain series pins the IPNS for the folder, then when the owner updates the IPNS do they automatically start downloading the files?
Not sure. I think it would resolve the IPNS hash and then pin the IPFS hash it points to, but you could write a small script that automatically updates it every 10 minutes or so.

>It would also be nice to mix this with an RSS file so they can get notified of changes per chapter folder, new hash means update means fire RSS.
You could use the pubsub feature for that.

Got the ascii, sending every 10 seconds.

It could though

IPFS seriously needs some security guys on board in the design phase.

You need to take into account anonymization, etc.

It could, but that usually involves wasting bandwidth like Tor or being slow and clunky like PD/Freenet/GNUnet. Plugin support is planned, then you could implement a not-so-wasteful anonymity layer on top of IPFS like GNUnet's file sharing. Decentralization and anonymity should be done in different layers, just like IPFS shouldn't try to solve the problem with the internet being centralized either (that's up to CJDNS) in my opinion.

>You need to take into account anonymization, etc.
They're actually building in such a way that it can be "plugged" on top of an anonymization network which is the right thing to do as very few people are competent enough to get security right.

Oh, so just like the OSI network model?

That's a great way to implement things.

They would start blocking IP's and protocols, so no.
How the shit does that work?

It starts downloading the hash, then serves it over HTTP. If it doesn't get anything, it just doesn't send anything.

>you could write a small script that automatically updates it every 10 minutes or so.
That would defeat the purpose. This has to be as easy as opening a browser and going to a website. Users should be able to install ipfs (as a service so it runs in the background, with an icon in the notification bar for Windows), then go to the "website", click on a series to pin, then start receiving the updates for that series.

Maybe if I make my own program with IPFS in the back.

Can I create folders in ipfs? Can I use our as an alternative to ftp among my friends? (ATM I run the ftp, would be nice if all my friends seed). And how far is it from being out of alpha state?

What is ipns though?

How is zeronet different from this?

>Can I create folders in ipfs?
Yes. Either add a whole folder with IPFS add or add a single document wrapped in a folder with ipfs add -w
>Can I use our as an alternative to ftp among my friends?
Yes, although it won't be private since it is currently possible to enumerate files on the netwoek. I think that adding stuff also broadcasts the hashes to the DHT. The devs have been working on a way to have private networks though so this is coming.
>And how far is it from being out of alpha state?
Hard to tell. A few years to stabilize the spec and protocols I'd guess.

Mutable pointers to immutable hashes.
An IPNS record can be updated to point at different hashes.
For example you have a website, you add it to IPFS and you get a hash in return. You point your IPNS to So that when someone resolves that IPNS he gets .
You update your site and now its hash is , if you don't update your IPNS then visitors will still see so you need update your IPNS record to point to .

Cool. So whats the hash of the folder? Hash of all it's contents?
Ipfs without the file coin part sounds cool.