Is a stint in the military a good idea in your cunt?

Is a stint in the military a good idea in your cunt?

USA:
>Join
>Do 36 months
>Get GI Bill benefits
>100% school paid
>Help finding jobs when you get out
>As long as you don't do something retarded like be infantry, learn a valuble trade
>State jobs required to favor veterans in hiring

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=543188
youtube.com/watch?v=B0e_kQOitp8
youtube.com/watch?v=mGkl0LJ_5l8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ui21vvZfmpc
youtube.com/watch?v=GA6FtDw44XM
youtube.com/watch?v=YwQysVZ5XSw
youtube.com/watch?v=j9a5U-k_e_E
youtube.com/watch?v=jM9myShQwXw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

absolutely not

It's a mandatory idea for 50% of people. A good idea in itself tho.

You forgot
>get shot

Do you guys get any good benefits after you get out? How do they treat servicemen and veterans?

>Join army
>Get PTSD
>No help available
>Become junkie
>Die

Fantastic career path here.

no
you get €100/month as compensation for conscription

if you are employed by the professional army you make avg. wage, you get more on a mission i.e what was iraq, afghanistan

>being anti-conscription

Next you're asking for airforce to patrol your airspace, right?

no

>assuming things

>our airforce*

Are conscripts full time or part time, like reserves? Cause 100 Euros a month for full time is theft. Here a full time soldier makes, at the very least, over $13,000 per year, not including stipends and allowances. A national guardsman or reservist, who are part time, make at least $3,600 per year for serving 1 weekend per month, plus an additional 2 weeks per year.

ok then

Fulltime homosex slavery
Sometimes you get weekends off

Almost the same, besides the last one.

That's ass. 1200 Euros a year to protect your nation from getting SLAV'D

Guard members can also get tuition wavived at state schools, depending on the state and get a monthly GI stipend as soon as they start school.

Are conscripts paid anything anywhere? You live on a base for close to a year, sometimes allowed to leave the base on weekends and holidays. Professional(non conscript, you can go to a military academy after conscription) soldiers make like €10k/year.

it makes you wonder why more people don't join. All numales love to complain about school costs, but all you have to do is donate 38 days of your time a year and get free schooling.

Actually about 2500€. The "pay" goes "up" the longer you serve.

Back in 2010 when I served it was somehthing like:

0-180 mornings: 4,50€/day
180-270 mornings: 7,20€/day
270-362 mornings: 11,50€/day

If I remember right.

Truly a shitty time profit-wise, but the experience as a whole was worth it.

t. different homo

Nah

It's just training

It's not "1200 euros a year from getting SLAV'D".
It's more like an extension of high school, which you get minimal compensation for. Reservists make up about 98% of our wartime armed forces. So, it's just training for the real thing. The conscripts are pretty useless in the case of war, the just support the arming of the reserves.

Apparently back when the US had conscription, conscripts and volunteers were paid the same, and pay differences came from different duties.

boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=543188

>All numales love to complain about school costs, but all you have to do is donate 38 days of your time a year and get free schooling
It's a still a pretty big commitment for most people and I doubt a good portion of those people could pass BMT.

It's still a great investment, regardless.

>swear allegiance to an (admittedly nice) unelected old lady and g-d
>get handed old PLCE and board a plane to bumfuckistan to fight for dodgy dave and his chums
>shoot goatfuckers from a minimally armoured jackal
>don't actually achieve any of the goals you get sent out to do
>return and get shouted at by faggots who think that nuclear deterrence isn't necessary
m-maybe it'll be better when we're on our own ;~;

The thing here is, we don't have volunteers. Everyone is expected to serve.
No professional armed forces.
Conscript only.
Finland Destination.

>It's still a great investment, regardless
I agree and its why I'm joining up in August. If all goes right my housing(by gi stipend and regular salary) and tuition will be covered and I'll only have to shell out money for a meal plan, but still I think for most people the thought that at any given time you could be activated and have to serve for two years(current max for guard) in some foreign shithole, something to be concerned about.

Now's a good time to join, since nobody's going to start anything during an election year.

literally no reason to join and not do 20 years IMO.

Interesting. I don't think America has ever had a conscript-only army: even when we did have conscription, it was only during wartime, only during certain wars, and even then there were many volunteers. To this day, we don't have conscription because a) we have more than enough volunteers because 'murica, and b) Vietnam kinda ruined the draft for everybody,

We do have a Selective Service System, that all adult males are required to sign up for to receive College Financial Aid, but the Government hasn't enforced it at all since 1986, and in any case it's not true conscription as it is a backup system in case the draft comes back.

20 might be a bit excessive, but it's not a bad career choice if you really want to be in the military.

The military offers free education that you can use both during and after your military career. So if you studied nursing, engineering or IT you'll be fine.

But I think a lot of ex-military opt to join the police or military police.

Also, in the Dutch military you don't angry shouting drill instructors like in America. So the job is pretty comfy by itself.

>I don't think America has ever had a conscript-only army

All armies have volunteers, so I doubt any army has been "conscript-only", though it can be predominantly draft-fed, like it was for us during WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. And, yeah we've got a great system going where we make people actually want to join the army, even during wartime we have no shortage of volunteers.

>nobody' going to start anything during an election year.
I'm joining the air guard and mostly likely if activated I'll just have to be in some IT room in Germany or maybe a office depending on what Job I'm able to get.

>literally no reason to join and not do 20 years IMO.
I couldn't imagine serving for 20 m8, my grandpa did and he's trying to get me to do the same. I just want want my cake man.

The reason I say that is you can do 4 active and 16 inactive reserve. You'll get activated a few times but you'll get a partial pension when you're done. You can also get your career started while in the reserves. There are laws that protect your job when you have to train or get activated. I really wish I was eligible for service but I had open heart surgery when I was little. It seems like such an easy way to ensure at least some financial stability.

It is, anyone who managed to somehow skip draft is looked down upon and those who did serve get plenty of benefits.

>angry shouting drill instructors
From what I've heard from friends in the army and /k/, they aren't as shouty as they once were, and they were never Full Metal Jacket tier shouty. You do have junior drill instructors get in your face and yell to toughen you up and get you used to stress, but you senior drill instructor is their to act more as a mentor or father figure.

During our war with Indonesia we drafted hundreds of thousands of people.
But the military generals didn't find them very useful.

The professional military did all the attack missions. While the drafted peeps got put on patrol and guard duty.

That makes more sense, I thought you meant 20 years active duty.

Our NG is somewhat similar, starts at 35 euros per day (if not provided food) or 26 euros (or provided food).

So over one or two weekend per month + 1 week of training camp that averages to about 1500 euros. Considering differences in price levels etc. sounds rather similar.

Our MREs are crap, though. US MREs are fucking food of the gods when compared.

Looks good on a resume and makes getting a home loan easier, but other than that I don't know of any specific benefits...or at least my friends who have served never mention any.

Yeah MREs are GOAT, but eat more than 3 and you won't shit for weeks.

My brother was in the marines and he got manhandled once in basic. The drill instructor got chewed out and had to apologize in front of everyone. One instructor accidentally threw a boot at his balls while he was at attention. He apologized too. They can say pretty much whatever that isn't about race or sexuality. They cannot manhandle you anymore though. They have the other recruits do that for them.

Our military has been cut loose for decades.

The mentality here is "If we have to go to war everyone is in deep shit".
It is our collective duty to repell the invaders.
The positive side is that we get all of the men in our serice, not only the worst. And if the call comes, they are not only soldiers, they are engineers, repairmen, doctors, translators, etc.
(Exept for the ultimate scum on earth, the evaders, who refuse even civil service)

Well, ours consist of:

Can of mystery meat (think dollar store quality)
Two slices of rye bread (breddy gud)
5 hard candies
Dry porridge that tastes like ground up cheetos.
Apricot jam (which is usually broken and has made everything else sticky)
Honey (see: apricot jam situation)
Worst instant coffee on the planet
Nuts & raisins (45 grams)
Sugar
Sugar
Sugar
Sugar

The sugar is there to reach the mandatory calory count so as to qualify this tender for the government public procurement procedure.

Usually you eat the mystery meat, pocket the nuts & candy & toss the rest.

Why don't you have a military gf Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=B0e_kQOitp8

Only if you wanna be police afterwards, otherwise it's fucking pointless.
I suppose being career military wouldn't be that bad, if you can actually make it in long term, but a short time? Fuck that. Only if you need to apply to police selection.

That is to say: I'll take congestion over delicious "beef stew" made 99% of cartilage and throwing 30% of the calories away.

If lucky you get "liver in cream sauce" - which is both terrible and has 1000 calories less than other canned meat varieties. So you starve even if you manage to keep it down.

This is a real struggle here. Conscription was abolished in 2007, and since then the mentality is "defence is not my problem" from most of the population.

Which is something a small nation really cannot afford. There's mass volunteering for the NG recently, but there's only so much you can learn over weekends.

That sucks here is an MRE
youtube.com/watch?v=mGkl0LJ_5l8

Whoops meant to reply to

Isn't killing mudslimes a reward in itself?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ui21vvZfmpc

Yeah, m8, with more Americans arriving there is now a healthy black market of MREs being resold to Latvian soldiers by US military lads.

Everyone wins - GIs get euros, we get decent grub on the go.

youtube.com/watch?v=GA6FtDw44XM

weed lmao the army

What do Latvians think of American soldiers btw? It seems most of Eastern Europe likes the fact that we are there to help keep Ivan out.

D-do Latvian qts like American soldiers?

>2nd lt's face when he found out we confiscated all the chocolate from all the MRE's and left the other junk to the birds

Helping ships against pirates seems pretty fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=YwQysVZ5XSw
youtube.com/watch?v=j9a5U-k_e_E
youtube.com/watch?v=jM9myShQwXw

>Interesting. I don't think America has ever had a conscript-only army
We had peacetime conscription in between the Korean and Vietnam conflicts.

Apart from some local yobs who see this as guys from the village over coming to steal their purrty womens ONLY WORSE, generally viewed positively.

Well, and local Russians who bitch about this being OCCUPIED BY UNKLE SEM.

Your guys really know how to play the hearts and minds card too, every two weeks there's a report of US troops stationed here chopping wood for an orphanage or embracing local cultural sights. Guess that works if you are not trying ot on thankless Hadjis.

Qts? Maybe. Nothing against them, I'd say. They are stationed 20 miles from the capital, though, near a reasonably small village, so qts are a bit outside their reach.

But overall - positive. Definitely.

>Which is something a small nation really cannot afford
Especially since you have a huge, extremely butthurt neighbor with nuclear weapons who considers you a rightful province. :^)

Here it's the opposite. The people and all political parties call upon reinvestments into our military. But our ruling cabinet refuses. They say they will, but never do.

"Money doesn't grow on trees."

And that. Russians coming is sort of axiomatic, really. It's an "if", rather than a "when".

Thank fuck we've been given a while to prepare, had they also gone for us in 2014, shit would have gone south fast.

I knew a had a course-mate who used to be in the Dutch marines once. Couldn't become an officer due to a medical issue, so went back to studying.

Literally the only person I met in the Netherlands with a clear view on who and what Russia is (this was back in 2011). Fine man.

How do you think you'd fair today if the Russians came to "liberate" you?

Better than two years ago. Still badly.

Well, depends really. There is the US tripwire force here now, stationed same place with most of our professional military - so any artillery/missile strike would take them out. What happens next depends on who's in the White House.

Locally? Well, our NG is still at a re-equipping and reforming stage, but would probably be the force of first response to any suspicious Green men or what have you. Probably get slaughtered, levels of training vary insanely.

Then, presumably, other NG units secure strategic locations and the professional units strike where anything pops up. Hold everything we can for as long as we can, eventually are pushed into the forrest. Wait for allies to show up, if not all dead already.

At least I can fire an anti-tank missile now, which I couldn't in 2014.

Well, we had a lot of incidents with Russia after that. It started with a Russian diplomat getting arrested and beaten by Dutch cops. Then a Dutch diplomat got burglars in his appartment in Russia. Then we had this GreenPeace issue on an oil rig in Russia. And some whining about gay rights. And then MH17 happened.

Everyone blamed Russia for MH17, the media and almost all politicians. There were calls to send our military into Ukraine to secure the crash site. But our Prime Minister never accused Russia and didn't feel like starting a war (not surprisingly in hindsight because now third party reports are coming in it might not have been Russia who took MH17 down).

And since then calls for reinvestments into our military started.

I did not know that.

>There is the US tripwire force here now
What do Latvians think of the US forces there?

We also let the western sanctions against Russia pass, which the Netherlands and Germany had been blocking for very long.

Which only increased the anti-Russian sentiment, as it confirmed Russia's guilt to the people.

As I've said - positive, seen as guardians of our freedom. Not that often US military are seen as that unironically, I'd guess. Nowadays, anyway.

There is a general feeling of "feels like war is brewing", leading to a slight nervousness - but still positive towards allies coming to help.

>As I've said - positive
My bad, didn't see that post

No worries, m8.