Which GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux distribution do intellectuals use?

Which GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux distribution do intellectuals use?

Gentoo

the one they like

Unironically Noobuntu

Don Knuth uses Ubuntu, but with no network access.
Scientists use Scientific Linux in Europe, not sure about the US.

DJ Bernstein also used Ubuntu for the longest time, I think he uses Qubes OS now judging by his posts on their mailing list.

'Intellectuals" just want to get work done, and don't care about their OS really just they want to be able to run research code from universities on it, with available libraries for crunching data/numbers, and some editor they prefer like Knuth using emacs

Source Mage

Ubuntu is the most supported distro and get some pubs with Steam,
and was the first distro in the Windows Store, so even a normie can know it's name.

And even if we consider the good progression of RedHat/SUSE/Arch family on desktop,
for like 10 years Ubuntu was the first choice and the first recommended distro on forums, and many of us start with it. (I'm very nostalgic of this aera.)

So please, stop trying to fracture more the Linux community, and choose an Ubuntu-based distro.
If you want something less noob-friendly, or if you didn't like Canonical, you can go Debian. Both Debian and Ubuntu takes benefits of their shared users.

open suse or ubuntu apparently. At least that is what my (female!) linear algebra professor and my Numerics professor used.

Our University also has computer pools running redhat.

>Scientific Linux (SL) is a Linux distribution produced by Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
>Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab), located just outside Batavia, Illinois, near Chicago, is a United States Department of Energy national laboratory specializing in high-energy particle physics.
I'm pretty sure the US also uses SL

THIS DESU

gentoo

people likes what other tell them to like
cf all the capitalism market

Arch with the LTS Kernel. Stable enough to daily, AUR available and infinite rice possibilities.

Gentoo. Nothing beats the sensation of running an OS built entirely with -march=native.

Is gentoo any more complicated to install than arch?

you're more likely to run into issues with gentoo than arch but it's pretty straight forward if you use genkernel and stable repo.

RHEL and fedora are the only distros allowed to connect to my university network.

If you'd be ready to go into the deeper possibilities of customization Gentoo offers you wouldn't ask this question.

We use Windows, it just works and I don't have time to waste on autism. All the software I need is on Windows and unless you're poor, windows is lean enough for normal use.

But manjaro for outside of work

debian
> its what i use