What is the best text editor and why is it Visual Studio Code?

What is the best text editor and why is it Visual Studio Code?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900.
kate-editor.org/get-it/
vim.org/download.php
github.com/atom/atom/releases/tag/v1.18.0
code.visualstudio.com/#home-terms
code.visualstudio.com/License/
microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/EnterpriseDev/default.aspx
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off.

You're gay and so is your botnet TE.

>electron

Visual Studio 2017

I'm using vim because I don't how to use anything else. Is Code any good?

ed is the standard text editor

Fuck off you homojew.

better than Atom

Atom is really clunky, I don't like it.

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

>13% cpu load from blinking cursor
lol
>using a text editor written in fucking javascript
literal mongoloids

Literally notepad
You'd have to be autistic to care about what text editor other people use

This and atom. Dear god, it's what lead to horrible issues like github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900. Webshit practices may be acceptable for browsers because people have no other choices for the moment. But trying to push that shit into desktop, I will uninstall your fucking application if I know it is using Electron.

See, the problem is, writing cross-platform native code is fucking hard. And scripting is not an option on Windows because nobody has or wants to deal with Python/Ruby/...

Nobody said it had to be easy either. And while I agree it should be easier, the answer to that should not be fucking Electron.

That's not how you spell VIM

>using a mouse for a text editor
Why

You're the one that's good

Emacs with Evil mode is masterrace.

The glory of Vim keybindings plus the infinite functions available in Emacs

>Electron
- exists right here, right now
- proven to be somewhat working (VS Code, Atom, some games)
- allows hordes of web devs to make applications
- runs on all three major platforms
- based on scripting, so the development cycle goes faster than with compiled language
- uses JavaScript, which developers are more familiar with
>Qt
- is basically an entirely separate language from C++ that is a, somehow, even bigger clusterfuck
- bundling the libraries will balloon your distribution size on Windows and macOS to near-Electron levels
- had quirky licensing for a long time so nobody wanted to use it and now the ecosystem is dead
>GTK
- is basically an entirely separate language from C due to GObject that is, somehow, a C++-scale clusterfuck
- bundling the libraries will balloon your distribution size on Windows and macOS to near-Electron levels
- insists on breaking things unpredictably every couple of versions
- >freedesktop
>core library plus multiple native frontends (WinForms/WPF, Cocoa, Linux: GTK/Qt)
- you never stop building your application or just stop after the Windows port because you realize how much effort learning that shit was
- duplicated display logic everywhere
- repository organization difficult (multiple repos or everything in one? Both suck)
- Linux frontend imports the same issues already outlined above except now you have even more complexity

Tell me, why would I not use Electron, again?

Because you are pushing the complexity and overhead burden onto the users at the cost of not dealing with the alternatives. Why would I want to use another browser instance just to run your application? I don't want my computer fans to spin up because the developers were lazy and added abstraction layers to make their lives easier. Yes, you have a choice to do what you want when writing your software but so do I as a user and I choose not to use it based solely on that fact.

And if you have competitors, they can easily win over you with any of the native alternatives achieving more efficiency. Iteration speed is not the end all be all if your app needs 4 GB of RAM and 50% of my CPU to run.

>developing software that's not complete shit is hard, so we should instead develop complete shit
>bundling libraries will baloon your distribution size to 10s of megabytes
Kate's installer for Windows is 54MB and that's Qt bloat + KDE bloat. Are we still in the 90s?

>Why would I want to use another browser instance just to run your application? I don't want my computer fans to spin up because the developers were lazy and added abstraction layers to make their lives easier.
Do you have a choice? Fuck no, you don't.
What matters is what the devs want.

>nobody wanted to use it and now the ecosystem is dead
Opinion disgarded.

obviously bait

if you don't write code and compile code using a cli, you're a fake

>happy face

>Qt
- exists right here, right now
- proven to be working
- allows programmers make graphical applications
- runs on all three major platforms
- based on OOP so the development cycle goes fast and you spend as little time on the GUI as possible
- uses C++ and a metacompiler (moc), which means the programmer can just write a single keyword and have the language extended to work better with graphical interfaces.
- not as slow as electron
and using the argument that Qt is almost as bad as electron does not mean electron is better.

kate for windows installer is 45mb for 64bit (38 for 32 bit)
kate-editor.org/get-it/
gvim is 7.9mb just for comparison.
vim.org/download.php
And just for comparison, atom is
173mb
github.com/atom/atom/releases/tag/v1.18.0

>can't open a 10mb text file without crashing
Nice meme you got there.

>173mb

Daily reminder that VS Code users are part of the MS botnet:

code.visualstudio.com/#home-terms

>You may use any number of copies of the software to develop and test your applications, including deployment within your internal corporate network.
>Demo use. The uses permitted above include use of the software in demonstrating your applications.

Gee, thanks Microsoft.

>The software may collect information about you and your use of the software, and send that to Microsoft. Microsoft may use this information to provide services and improve our products and services.

>You may not:
>work around any technical limitations in the software;
>reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the software
>remove, minimize, block or modify any notices of Microsoft or its suppliers in the software;
>use the software in any way that is against the law;

microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/EnterpriseDev/default.aspx (yes, this applies to VS Code, see first link)

>Usage data. We collect data about how you and your devices interact with Microsoft and our products. For example, we may collect:
>Product use data. We collect data about the features you use, how often you use them, and how you use them.
>Device data. We collect data about your device and the network you use to connect to our products.
>When you engage Microsoft for support, we collect data about you and your hardware, software, and other details related to the support incident. Such data includes contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with Microsoft support, diagnostic data about the condition of the device and the application when the error occurred and system and registry data about software installations and hardware configurations.

>but the License file says it is MIT licenced
Maybe you're fine if you build it from source. I'm no fucking lawyer.

Wew that sure was difficult.

That's for Visual Studio idiot. VS Code is MIT licensed.

The code on github is MIT licensed. The binary distributed by microsoft is not. It's like the chrome/chromium dichotomy except there is no chromium-esque vs code version.

It's not you faggot.

>code

Also, page title:
>License - Visual Studio Code

Build it yourself you lazy faggot.

Don't get pissy because I told you that you're wrong, faggot.

I'm not wrong you faggot.
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Did you even read what he said in his first reply or are you just trolling?

No, you objectively are wrong. You just posted exactly what I said. VS Code's source code is indeed MIT licensed, but the binary distributed by microsoft that everyone uses is not.

>update to 2017
>no C++ static analysis tool extensions have been ported
fug
Is there any way for me to use clang or something by itself to check a project?

>the binary distributed by microsoft that everyone uses is not
Not everyone is a lazy idiot who can't be bothered to build his own software like you are.

Why is this thing like 50 gigs?

That's fine and good, but that doesn't change what I said and holds true for almost everyone who uses it.

>173mb
>text editor

Fuck this meme

Vs17 is like 4gb if you don't install every single thing you can think of

It's still a lot but lets be real here

>true for almost everyone who uses it
I'm not the user you're arguing with but I see you being a weasel, you said previously
>the binary distributed by microsoft that everyone uses
Which implies the majority use the MS bins which is different than what you just said.
>what I said is true for those that do use it
Neither of which are wrong statements but they have no relation, intentional or not you're being confusing. It's unfair to imply the majority use those bins then say your statment holds true for those users thus it's true for the majority, the first statement, ironically, can't be proven because there's no metrics on the MIT users.

You're right OP, it's indeed the best text editor.

>Vs code
And a good (you) to you too sir

> vi
Good taste
> sual studio code
KYS

You can turn off telemetry in the settings

s/text editor/intellisense web browser

>TE
too lazy to type text editor?

>Why would I want to use another browser instance just to run your application?

why should I add months of dev time just to cater to your autism?

think of it as a vm, not a browser instance, that should prevent you from getting triggered.

because microsoft has put a solid team of people to work on it full time

>Why would I want to use another browser instance just to run your application?
Because its "free".

Free as in you dont want to pay with money so you will pay with your fans.

:3

what do you think of eclipse?

intellij has better UX

>allows hordes of web devs to make applications

DISGUSTING.

too lazy to support your shitty opinion OP?

All those mad people because it turned out that company they hate is soo damn good that they can produce great and open source text editor.

Amount of innovations and upgrades in a such short milestones is amazing as well.

It feel like they are working 24/7 to bring new functionalities

Honestly this. OP is a faggot.

I completely switched to VSC now because a few days ago they finally implemented the ability to restore loose files.

Couldn't care less whether it runs on electron. Starts instantly for me & got plenty of RAM

>lets be real here
Uninstall it.

>people still can't tell the difference between visual studio and visual studio code

fuck off

fuck off