/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/p89bgL
amazon.com/dp/B017EVR2VM
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LQB2Cy
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JNH48d/msi-b250m-pro-vd-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-pro-vd
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KWjWGX/asrock-b250m-hdv-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-hdv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That image just screams lost opportunity to make an Attack On Titan joke.

is that assface the ATI mascot or something?

AMD really has gotten better at everything over the years, even waifus.

>he doesn't know Ruby

Underage pls go.

Why isnt i5 7600k recommended?

DID SOMEONE SAY AMADA

because it's bad and you should feel bad

Cup size? I won't accept anything above A.

Considering the game I play is CPU depended and prefers single core performance the i5 7600k is gucci

4460 master race.

hey, if it works for you then that's it
I remember using the meme-cored fx-8350 twice and it was pretty decent for what I do, but it feels obsolete compared to anything else.

What brand can compete in terms of performance and noise level against noctua for 140mm or 200mm fans ?

I need to absolutely upgrade my GPU from GT 630 (yeah GT without X). For the past 2 weeks I tried my luck on eBay but didn't work. Is there any ETA when this cuckery will come to an end? I don't want to go bankrupt just for a GPU upgrade.

What's the best single tower cooler? Was leaning towards H7 but apparently they're being slow with the brackets and it's a pain to mount anyways.
Noctua U12s the best?

Boy are you in for a treat.

Just get a GTX 1050ti. It's breddy gud.

>about to say you can just get a 1050 Ti for $150 and it'll be a decent upgrade to the 630 without blowing the bank
>look at the same one I bought on Newegg last fucking week
>it's $200 now

Jesus fucking christ on a stick. It's not that good of a card but shit at least it WAS cheap. Whatever you get, get it NOW because this is as cheap as it will ever be. Fuck's sake 1050 Ti's what are you even doing you retarded fucking miners, what the fuck.

I thought about that but the benchmarks I saw didn't look very promising for FFXIV. I just wanted something that can run this game on max settings at 1080p and 60+ FPS so I can get addicted and forget reality. I'm so tired of searching, it's really stressing, I gained like 5 fucking kilos this week.

yeah I noticed, it's fucking retarded how the prices are increasing now.

You'll have to wait until the mining craze is over I'm afraid to say.

Should I just wait till 2018 for a new pc?

Rocking i5 2500k and a gtx 960. Not really bothered with playing too many games, but it's starting to show age.

The i5 7600k is a maxed out quad-core 4 thread processor, easily reaches 100% CPU utilization in recent games, good if you just want to play games but it wont last long until it bottlenecks the shit outta new games.

>tfw waiting for bannerlord and star citizen to upgrade my comp
>going to save money 'til 2025

feels like burning hate, friendos

guys rate my build? built it before kabylake

i5 6600k
cryorig h7
gigabyte board
16gb ddr
gtx 1050 ti
1tb hdd 128gb ssd

running on my 23 inch 1080p screen

It's pretty bad.

Buy a non-k 6700
Try a $20 CPU cooler
Buy a non OC gigabyte motherboard
Get either 8 gb ram or triple channeled 12gb ram

Just when will this ridiculous GPU hoarding stop?

I know this is unrelated, but at the moment I have i7 4790k. Should I just OC or wait for Coffee Lake?

amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/

is this thing a good monitor for gayman/general use? looking to get a 144hz 1440p at a decent size one and this seemed pretty good

Sorry looks like this is more expensive in America, I'm assuming you can find a 6700 at %130 the price of the 6600k or lower then that would make sense.

Also maybe just a $10 cpu cooler since it's just stock.

Wait™

Hey Sup Forums I am upgrading my peice of shit pc from 2003 that can only run emulation of older 90's consoles. My budget is roughly $400 - $500 CAD but I'd rather keep it on the low end. I don't really mind not playing newer titles and I won't be doing anything too demanding. I made a list so far (link below) and it does have some of the parts I already have for instance I use the 21:9 monitor to watch movies and game with a old wii. Any suggestions would be great and no I don't expect you to read all of this shit.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/p89bgL

amazon.com/dp/B017EVR2VM

or maybe this, is an IPS panel worth the extra $200?

Get a Pentium G4560 instead of that APU.

Long story short my gaming PC is dead as a dodo. I dug out an old ass PC I had from 2008 and swapped out a few pieces I had stockpiled so I'm currently saving and waiting for GPU prices to fall before building a new one.

Current setup is pic related. Is it worth upgrading to an ASUS Radeon R7 240 2GB GPU or will it all just get bottle necked from this old ass PC?

You're blowing $100 on liquid cooling you don't need that could be used to improve processor, get another hdd OR get a bigger monitor.

The Pentium G4560 would probably be better. Anything past Pooptation 2 would require dedicated graphics and 3,6 ghz cpu.

4 cores aren't enough t. amd shills since 2010

It's not worth investing anything in. The CPU is hot garbage and the motherboard doesn't support anything better.

>I love stutter and lots of cocks in my mouth!

t. assblasted i5 owner

I just bought a benq xl2730, which is a 1440p 144hz monitor with freesync, my build is:
i7-7700k
gtx 1080
16gb 2400 ram
all of this in a node 202 case. Should I expect good performance?

Which game?
Every game prefer single core performance, just that some of them will shit the bed if only 4 threads

Yes, consider ATI 4850.

>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed

Maybe in some games like Overwatch, CSGO, etc.

No

What kind of question is this? Of course you should expect to get good performance you stupid fuck.

>all Intels on top
Nice

>Get a Pentium G4560
Thanks anons maybe I'll switch to the g4560, how does it compare to the 7890k?

>Your blowing $100 on liquid cooling
I want to make sure I can keep the processor cool while overclocking and it seemed like the best option.

>get a bigger monitor
I have two pretty decent size monitors, everyone else thinks they are pretty big.

>i5 stock
kek

Really? I know it's bad but I just need something to tide me over. I can get the ASUS R7 240 for 40 bucks.

Please don't meme me bro

is this accurate? is 1050 Ti really so bad?

Does anyone have any ideas as to when prices will come down? I have a guy willing to buy my 980 for $400, and I want to wait til they drop amd put that towards a 1080 or 1080ti.

That's very inaccurate because it's a synthetic and it means nothing in game

Don't put too much stock in benchmarks like that. In game performance is what matters.

How so?

Generally, Nvidia's GPUs go 1.5 tiers higher than their last generation:
>GTX 1080 < 980 Tis in SLI
>GTX 1070 = 980 Ti
>GTX 1060 6GB = 980
>GTX 1060 3GB > 970
>GTX 1050 Ti < 970
>GTX 1050 = 960
>GT 1030 = 750 Ti

How does an i5 4670 non-k hold up in terms of CPU these days? I know it's an older chipset but all things considered I'm still rocking and I need a guesstimate on how much longer she'll last me for general gaming and multitasking (Skype+game+Firefox for instance)

>general gaming
Until games utilize more cores
>multitasking (Skype+game+Firefox for instance)
Forever

Ok, anything faster than a ATI 4850 will bottleneck it.

What's a decent GPU to pair with an i5 4460 these days?

I really don't want to switch the fucker. I know it's not the best but if I want something substantial I'll probably have to get a different socket + different motherboard + different RAM.

>overclocking is going to raise a 25fps low to something playable

Intelfags are literally this deluded.

>Thanks anons maybe I'll switch to the g4560, how does it compare to the 7890k?

Utterly destroys it in everything except graphics performance and uses a lot less power. You won't need an additional cooler, as the one that comes with it is fine.

I have a very simmilar build and run alot of games in the 100+ fps on ultra at 1440p.

Getting a monitor with freesync and a 1080 seems like a weird combination, you should get one with goysync if you want that gpu, sadly AMD doesn't have anything high end right now

Also get 3000 mhz ram, it's only a few dollars extra and can make a big difference in some games

By the way, do motherboards affect boot time?

I'm switching from an H81M-E33 to a GA-Z97-HD3 because it's malfunctioning. I noticed that it would get stuck at boot way too often with any drives connected.

Some BIOS settings can speed boot times

My mobo seemed to POST a bit faster after updating from stock firmware.

Windows still reports 20 seconds, but definitely better than before (I have no time recorded).

If you disable GUI boot in msconfig.exe this saves you like 5 seconds too.

What should I do with all these Miku's?

Thanks man. I'm running it paired with a 1060 6GB and I'm hoping to grab another few years out of this.
Iktfb. I'm running the above and it's pretty solid in terms of what I achieve. I run dying light at max with only slight stuttering if I max out FoV. Keep in mind that's also because I'm running Skype+Firefox+game+etc in the background too

Even BIOS revision can affect boot times. My Maximus VIII Hero Alpha was slow as shit POSTing with the early revisions, but one of the updates eliminated the wait entirely.

>Utterly destroys it in everything except graphics performance and uses a lot less power. You won't need an additional cooler, as the one that comes with it is fine.
Thanks a lot user, I updated the build (link below), it's $70 more than the original one but I think that would be alright.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LQB2Cy

We'll have quantum processors by then

Those PC part picker compatibility issues actually mean something.

What significative difference is there between 1050 Ti and 1050 Ti mini?

Cooling, price

>significative difference
nothing

Cooling and noise. Mini is simply so the card can fit inside itx or low profile cases. To do so they cut down the size of the cooler and usually only have a single cooling fan as opposed to 2. 1 fan will have to spin at say 3k rpm to do the same cooling that 2 fans would do at 1500 rpm.

However the 1050ti is a cooler running card, so I'd the price is low enough, get the mini. Won't effect much really.

the specs are the same? the board looks a bit shorter in mini version.

>Those PC part picker compatibility issues actually mean something.
Just needs a bios update, can't I do that at like a local computer store?

Or even with my older pc cpu?

Some reviews I read say the same, about temps.
I'll check some Mini sellers close to me, maybe I can save a bit more on shipping costs.

Make sure it's a single large fan, not those low profile 1050ti cards with dual 40mm fans because those will be loud as fuck. Pic related. Avoid this.

If they have a Skylake CPU you can use. H110 boards are perfectly compatible with Kaby Lake, but almost certainly need to be updated using a Skylake CPU first (some may have shipped with the necessary update, but that's a lottery).

Also, you really only need 2400MHz RAM, as that's the max that the G4560 supports. If there's no/little price difference though, it doesn't really matter.

Just grab eitherof these and save yourself the hassle
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JNH48d/msi-b250m-pro-vd-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-pro-vd

ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KWjWGX/asrock-b250m-hdv-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-hdv

yeah looks like a pretty useless addition, at that fan size.

What do you mean "so bad"? It's doing better than a 380x and a 770. It is put in the dirt by the 470/480 570/580 and 1060 3 and 6 yes. The only reason you would even buy one is if you needed a card RIGHT NOW and can't find anything in stock because miners. Before the mining craze the 470 and 570 were like 30 bucks more expensive for 50%+ more performance.

What this user says. The rx470/570 4GB cards were hands down best price: performance cards. People are only recommending the 1050ti now because miners grabbed up all the AMD cards, and a 1060 is usually double the price of a 1050ti. The 1050ti is a great 1080p card if you're willing to run with X4 Msaa as opposed to x8.

is the RX570 still an okay card? I would be running it with a Ryzen 1600

I must be literally blind because I use no AA to help hit 1080/144hz and can't tell a difference unless I'm standing still in-game and looking for it.

>Also, you really only need 2400MHz RAM, as that's the max that the G4560 supports. If there's no/little price difference though, it doesn't really matter.

Yea there barley is any price difference but thanks anyway user, also I doubt they would be able to help me out so I'll save myself the trouble and just get what the other guy suggested.

>Just grab eitherof these and save yourself the hassle
>ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JNH48d/msi-b250m-pro-vd-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-pro-vd
>ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KWjWGX/asrock-b250m-hdv-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-hdv

I'll be using the msi mobo, thanks for the feedback user.

every card is an alright card by someones definition. what really matters is what you'll be playing and how much you'll be paying.

Depends on the game usually and it does make a difference. More so for objects or places that are really far away in game.

Been a while since I've been on 1080p though I'll admit. Been on my 32" 60hz 1440p monitor for some time now. I usually use only X2 AA compared to X4 because of my higher power density.

you can sell it for 300$ on ebay to retarded crypto miners

>lucked out at John Lewis and got a i5 6400 system for £150

Looks like it can only take a graphics card 7" long. Can I get a decent low profile card that'll fit? Guessing that they use non-standard mounting so buying a new case is out of the question.

Really? I'm only getting it for $220!

damn 1050tis are over $150-160 now

Autist here, why won't this boot or even post? I've tried two identical motherboards and two different RAM kits, the only thing that's consistent is the CPU, but it's brand new.
Am I missing something? The motherboard has power, the CPU fits the socket and has power, there's RAM on it and there's also a HDD with Win7 installed on it. What else does a PC need to boot? It just turns on, does nothing for a while then restarts.
I've also tried it with a video card just in case both motherboards have faulty HDMI sockets.

It doesn't need more to boot
Have you tried using DVI, VGA or whatever your motherboard allow? Maybe the cable is faulty

You sure your mobo supports the CPU? It might need a BIOS/UEFI update.

For games at 1080p@60fps and decent settings for now and the next five years should i go for the gtx 1060 or the gtx 1070?

The cable works fine with my other pc and I only have a DVI-I cable and the socket is DVI-D
How do I update if I can't turn it on because it doesn't werk with my CPU though?

>How do I update if I can't turn it on because it doesn't werk with my CPU though?
You can't
What CPU?