Extremely bored .NET developer here. What do?

Extremely bored .NET developer here. What do?

>Read SICP
>Read 'The C Programming Language'
>Learn Java
>Learn Python
>Choose some toy project and make it in C#
>Something else

Other urls found in this thread:

mperfect.net/aiSomPic/).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

Become a Haskell developer

stop learning programming languages and do something nice with one that you already know.

Make me a website about tech niggers.

Kys

Read SICP

KYS.

I was on the same board as you OP.

Got into Rust just out of boredom. It's kinda fun actually.

Yeah it seems boring but using a language I already know at least my program will be well written and I can point at it in interviews. At the moment I have no portfolio.

learn common lisp

you're already sucking on bill gates' cock so you might try playing with his balls as well if you're so bored

fap

Microsoft wasn't my choice. I took the first programming job I could get because I have no formal qualifications in programming.

All my project ideas revolve around my pi, but I don't think .Net core is mature or well documented enough, hence the wanting to learn python or java.

make android app and get rich

>.NET developer
that's a poo in the loo language.
corporate drones are the worst

oh cool, sorry for assuming you have an old man cock in your mouth then.
just like think of a small project that would use technologies you don't normally use and do it. If I were to do that I would do something low level with rust or something that uses phoenix channels with elixir

it's hard to be worse but I think people like you fit that bill

Learn FORTRAN.

Srs.

>>Choose some toy project and make it in C#

Create a SOM for organizing and finding your lews or reaction pictures

At the moment top of my project list is building a reddit scraper that will go fetch popular pictures from some given subreddit and save them in my wallpaper rotation folder. Should be fairly easy.

Or a pi one that saves them to a folder and runs through them in a fullscreen slideshow that I can hook up to an old monitor.

Sounds nice and doable! Have fun

Try machine learning for organizing your image folders. Or create yet another window manager then contribute to the one you like best.

How well does it work if the picture has a background?

Like if I drew Jeb and the chair here but left the background grey

Read Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, for a change of pace. You get to learn C and become familiar with UNIX/POSIX.

Leverage your C#/.NET skills and build games in Unity.

so you took a job that required .net and that's why you learned .net? how did you get the job if you didn't already know it?

You tell them you know a little bit

Because I had basic programming experience from a physics degree (Matlab and C++ which I now realised was used basically as C with no OOP at all), and I took a CS class that included basic Java on the side.

I was taken on as an intern so the fact I knew no C# didn't matter, I had enough programming skills to transfer over rapidly. Specific languages don't really matter.

How to do this? I really would like to dabble more in this kind of stuff, is there some introductory literature on this topic? Looks really interesting

And before someone REEEs at me for using C++ like C, you can cross compile C++ and get it to talk to Matlab.

A physics researcher had me do a project where he was writing C++ modules to numbercrunch for his matlab simulations. He just boilerplated files for me and I filled in the blanks. I had no idea what OOP or the C/C++ difference even was at that point.

Probably can't hurt to learn python. It's fooking interpreted though

Learn scala you filthy degenerate poojeets

Whats up with .NET Core thing? I understand that its crossplatform so people can use it, but what of a crossplatform GUI toolkit? That would make the .NET more viable right?

And is my assumption of .NET Core simply a rewrite of .NET (core concepts) for crossplatform/open-source?

Yeah its up on my list of to-dos. Especially because its so useful in scientific research which I want to return to.

It's also relevant to this dude:

There are lots of python libraries around machine learning, and its easy to write your own algorithms and do data stuff because its so high level.

.NET Core is bloody awful at the moment.

.NET Framework is solid and dependable, and well documented. It just werks.

.NET Core is so new and immature, and its open sourced so it comes with all the joys of a brand new open sourced system. Everything is new. Everything is undocumented. Everything changes radically so what little documentation you can find is hopelessly out of date (oh look I found an article from May 2016 doing what I want to do- oh it doesn't work already)

I don't think a GUI is in the pipelines. Microsoft moves so slowly with this shit that the standard framework GUI stuff is all winforms and that shit.

>Whats up with .NET Core thing?
nobody's sure. even microsoft

>I understand that its crossplatform so people can use it, but what of a crossplatform GUI toolkit?
GUI is a niche, everyone uses electron these days anyway

POO

electron or web interfaces*

Probably not so great because the author used histograms as feature vectors (mperfect.net/aiSomPic/). On the other hand there are probably not so many pictures with something blue and red like Jeb and the chairs.

Learn a bit computer vision and a bit of machine learning (especially clustering) and you should be good to go. There are MOOCs on both topics: The CV course on udacity with Bobick is pretty cool, for ML the most famous one is probably the one with Andrew Ng